Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL

Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL Questions & Answers

MPN: DMRBWT955GL

142 questions from our users

Lindsay Casked

If I try to stop recording a programme on my DMR BWT 955 after it has started recording by pushing the stop button (as per the instruction manual) nothing happens, there is no response. If I push the delete button I only get a message saying "invalid operation". How do I stop an unwanted recording?

Lou Symonds

Hi there, you need to go to the timer recording menu and turn time off using the red button on your remote. Then you can delete it using your delete key.

Lindsay C

Thanks Lou that has resolved one problem but I still have one programme recording that is not showing in the timer recording and it will not accept stop or delete.

Dannyasked

Hi, i have successfully connected to the internet you tube etc is working fine but when i went to connect to 9now is doesnt successfully load the page then goes blank. I have tried minimizing the font but still have no success, what other things can i try? or is it maybe the internet connection is to slow. It shows about 3 bars but youtube is working fine when playing videos etc and on my main computer and laptop is works perfectly and the connection is very high speed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

jessieinnewy51

You should probably read other peoples comments in the "Questions and Answers" section. It Looks Like Panasonic no Longer wants to support customers with Streaming and Internet problems.
The Old Internet sites were HTTP sites and now they are HTTPS sites but the Old Panasonic Browser doesn't know what to do with the New Format. (To prove it you can test this on other devices,You should find you can access streaming sites with an Ipad or Laptop or Desktop because the Browser is Up to date).
So STREAMING is virtually useless for this Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL Unit if this is what you wanted it for. Again get Panasonic to advise you and let the Product Review know of your Answer. Good Luck.
TRY CONTACTING, the Panasonic customer service team on 132600 and then Post the Response Here.

Danny

I did look at this comments before i posted and thats why i posted here lol and wanted to see what responses I GOT FIRST before or if a Panasonic customer service rep could help. I did not buy it just for the internet but it would have been nice to have it working. Lets hope they may update eventually and i will let you all know. :-)

Bel R.

Bel R.asked

I have had this unit for a couple of months and been loving it,. being able to record three shows at once. however, after working perfectly last night, I have come home from work today and there is no sound at all when playing tv through the unit, and also on playback of any of my recorded shows. none. I have checked and every cable is still plugged in tightly, nothing has changed. HELP!!!!

jessieinnewy51

I have a couple of suggestions for you to try to get the Sound to work from your Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL. It is possible that the HDMI Cable is Faulty.
I am presuming that the tv is connected to the Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL with a HDMI cable and even though you say you have checked that the cables are still firmly in place it is possible that the Cable has gone faulty so to prove that the Cable is ok there are a couple of ways of doing this. (1) Try re connecting the cable into another HDMI input port on the TV so in other words alter the Cable position from HDMI Port 1 to HDMI Port 2 on the back of the TV and see what happens. (2) Try connecting the Panasonic DMR-BWT955GL to another TV that has a HDMI port input and see what happens. Even though the Cable looks ok it may be faulty.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Bel, if you require further assistance, please reach out to our customer service team on 132600. Jessie's suggestions are definitely where we would recommend starting.

tony duffyasked

What are panasonic doing about their internet connectivety for f s sake why aren t other options ie Stan supported. A top of the range machine UBT and it look like it has been programmed by a pre schooler., Why has not got a real computer with the ability to rum linux distro not the useless Java... //// Potentionally a great machine let down by lazy incompent cost cutting that is not saving any real money just giving the sales. Supply a machine that lives up to its price when are software upgrades go to made available. If the machine isn t able to handle suitable functionality then recall them refund or replace them suitable machines you are killing your own brand

jessieinnewy51

Your Question is a Valid one and I agree with your Question and Sentiment but I have previously asked the Panasonic Rep to respond about Firmware Upgrades and we get NO RESPONSE. I get the impression that it is a case of BUYER BEWARE with Panasonic now. They have been payed for their product and are not prepared to bring the product up to Standard even though the product was sold and represented as an ideal product. The 4K Badge on the front of the Unit is a mis representation of its ability and as for the Hard Drive and USB storage and transfer abilities it leaves a lot to be desired.
Once again PANASONIC when do we get a Proper FIRMWARE Update to allow access to HTTPS websites as well as other Streaming Sites other than NETFLIX which has been pre configured.
Its probably easier for us to buy a $50 Multimedia Streaming unit from CHINA with ANDROID 9 already Loaded than to wait on Panasonic Japan to update their Product. At least this product would have USB3.0 ports that could be used for Transfer and storage up to 64Gb at a time.
Come on Panasonic.

tony duffy

thanks for reply you wonder what planet they are on, you are totally correct about the streaming devices out of China feature packed, user friendly usually with a remote for the price of a oem replacement panasonic remote After R and D would cost them peanuts to build the functionality of Android TV into their machines. Tony

John Parry

John Parryasked

Is this unit now region free?

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi John, you will need to take this to a service centre to have the DVD region unlocked. Please contact our customer service team on 132600 for the details.

dean p.

dean p.asked

I purchased a Panasonic dmr bwt955. After the machine records something from the preset timer setting, it turns itself off. Is there a way to stop it turning off after it records. I know there is a setting for this, but it has been a long time since I set up a Panasonic and now I can't find the setting.

George Rusty R.

George Rusty R.asked

turned on my recorder dmr- bwt955 and the screen on the tv and the recorded programs went pink

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi George, please contact our customer service team on 132600 for further trouble shooting assistance.

RJBris.asked

When accessing SBS on-demand, some programs are unable to be accessed - error: videos could not be found.
This only applies on some programs, what can we do to rectify this? Do I need to uninstall the SBS-on demand app on the device and reinstall?

RJBris.

Panasonic Australia Customer Service - this question relates to your product. It would be helpful to have a response. Premium product that falls short on the firmware... surely you can do better? A response would be really helpful. Dmr-bwt955. SBS app works fine on our plasma and fails on a <2y old box. Please respond. Thank you.

jessieinnewy51

It appears that Panasonic don't wont to update their Firmware Support for these Units and they don't want to reply on matters that involve the Inbuilt APP or Internet side of these units. It's a shame that we bought these Units New but they have Software Apps that are over 5years old. Panasonic Reputation is shot in my view. Are we a dumping ground for products that they can't sell in other places world wide. See a previous Answer for a previous question in this Review Forum attached here "I Suggest you Contact Panasonic customer service team on 132600 and see what they tell you. I have written previous replies about the Panasonic DMR-BWT955 as it appears to have an Out of Date Browser which is hampering full access to Modern Streaming Web Sites. The Old sites were HTTP sites and now they are HTTPS sites but the Old Panasonic Browser doesn't know what to do with the New Format. (To prove it you can test this on other devices,You should find you can access streaming sites with an Ipad or Laptop or Desktop because the Browser is Up to date). So STREAMING is virtually useless for this Unit if this is what you wanted it for. Again get Panasonic to advise you and let the Product Review know of your Answer. Good Luck. Panasonic Needs to update it's software but hasn't done so in Years relating to the Streaming Function.

Lady Di
Lady Di

Your comments re SBS are really helpful - I was thinking of updating my old Panasonic PVR - as I have had this happen. Sad to think that it is till an issue.

Colin Basked

My Panasonic dmr-bwt955gl seems to have stopped converting files automatically from DR mode to the quality I choose when programming (usually LP) when it's in standby mode. It used to do this but hasn't done it now for about 3 weeks and as a consequence recordings are building up in DR mode and the HDD capacity is dropping rapidly. Also I can't copy recordings onto a DVD when they're in the DR mode.

I can manually make the recorder convert the files but it used to do this automatically.
Any help?
Also can you confirm if I want to copy recordings onto an external hard drive it has to have an external power source. Thanks.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Colin, it would be best to start with a factory reset, which you will find the instructions in the user manual. Please note it won't delete past recordings, but you will lose all future timer recordings. If this is unsuccessful, please contact our customer service team on 132600 for further assistance.
Yes you will need a hard drive with an external power supply to use with your recorder.

Colin B

Thanks. I did a 'shipping' reset and the recorder is now converting files when in standby mode. One thing I've noticed now which is different is when I do a timer recording I have to select the file conversion I want every time. The default is none whereas previously the default was the one I mostly used which was DR - LP. I had a look in recording settings but I couldn't find anything about changing the default setting. It's not really a big deal, just means I have to press buttons a few more times for each timer recording I set up.

Gunawan T.

Gunawan T.asked

1. Can the 8 number of USB hard drives be exceeded?
2. If my BWT955 failsin future , what replacement unit can enable me to play the 8 units.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Gunawan, no you are unable to exceed 8 USB hard drives. If there is a failure of your recorder, you will lose the information stored on the hard drive as they are formatted to this unit only. It is recommended anything valuable is backed up.

Val DBasked

How can I extend recording time on a DMR-BWT955 to get end of program

Lou Symonds

Hi Val. You can extend the time of recording by using your up arrow when you move across to the end time using the right arrow. Hope this makes sense. When recording, I choose the program from the tv guide and when the details appear on the screen, I tab across to the end time using the right arrow on my remote and then use the up arrow on my remote to extend the time of the recording.

Many thanks for your help Lou. I was looking for something in 'Settings'. Val

Val DB

Hi Lou, Have sorted this out myself. Go into Set Up - Select Basic Settings: HDD: Settings for Recording:
adjust Buffer times as desired. Val

Bazasked

I have a newly purchased DMR-BWT955 and recently transferred AVCHD video files from an SD card to the HDD then attempted to write them to a Toshiba USB 3.0 HDD which had been registered on the the machine but it wont do it and comes back with the message, "title that cant be copied to USB HDD is selected". Can you please shed some light on why this would occur and what the solution is. Thanks.
Regards
Barry Lamont

D coggs
D coggs

how to series record on DMR-BWT955

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Barry, could you please confirm the Toshiba USB HDD has an external power source? This is required for being able to use the HDD on the recorder.

No the HDD has a USB connection only

john dasked

how do i get 9now and 7plus onto my panasonic dmr-bwt955 recorder

john d

thanks for the info, i will follow up and see what response i get

Eldertooasked

Why is there no code to operate a Panasonic TV from this Panasonic recorder DMR-BWT955 remote. Can the remote operate a Panasonic TV?

Lou Symonds

hi there, all you need to do is choose the viera link under the connection menu, HDMI connection sub menu.

Eldertoo

Sorry Lou, that's just connecting to view on the TV. It's not controlling the TV functions.

Eldertoo

Well, according to the specs for my Panasonic TV TH-49GX600A it does not support viera (Darn!) I have to use the CEC function on the TV remote to control the recorder instead and which is very complicated.

Peter Kasked

Can someone tell me, if I can use the DMR-BWT955 (which shows a 4K-symbol on it's front lid) to play a 4K blu ray? I would have thought so, without doubt, but I just got my first 4K blu ray disc and it does not play. I read again the manual, and it only mentions that 4K-images (does that mean still-images?) can be played or home-made 4K movies... Can it really be that this so highly advanced 4K blu ray recorder cannot play 4K movies on 4K blu ray discs? I even just updated the firmware to 1.24 just now, hoping this would solve the issue, but it does not....

Tattz

I had an allied issue with trying to play MKV video files that were encoded with the latest 4K codec. The answer that came back on this forum from Panasonic was that the unit would not play them and there were no plans to upgrade the firmware to do so. I think the 4K logo you refer to may relate to the unit's upscaling abilities rather than it being able to cope with 4K discs or media files.

Hi Tattz,

thanks for the reply. Yes you are right. Meanwhile I found the answer myself as well - This recorder is for sale via JB Hifi as well, and they have a very good description of the functions - here's what they wrote:
"The BWT955 features 4K Video Playback* with native 4K pictures,...4K Direct Chroma Up-scaling...
Highly Realistic Image. The new UniphierLSI Chip uses unique picture-enhancing technology to convert BD content into 4K images..... Both detail and colour reproduction levels are four times as high as Full-HD, for truly beautiful images..... *Does not play 4K Blu-ray discs."

Peter K

This actually prompts the question to the Panasonic representative:

The fact, that this "4K" device cannot play 4K discs...: Is that a hardware problem or a software problem? If it is a software problem: Given, that Panasonic wrote in huge letters "4K" onto the front lid: Would it not be an image-preserving no-brainer to fix the problem with a firmware-update?

Mark P.

Mark P.asked

My BWT955 is also shutting down/jamming for no apparent reason, after a few years of heavy use, admittedly. It sometimes just freezes on a live channel; freezes while playing something; or just stops recording on its own and turns itself off. To get it going again, I have to unplug it and plug it in again, then it sometimes takes many minutes to reboot. I've given up recording on it, because I can't rely on it, and I'll try to get it fixed after I've watched the 20-odd movies I've got recorded on it. :-)
Also, prior to this big problem, even when new, it would stop sending the sound out of the av outputs for no reason. Once again, I had to unplug it to reboot, then the sound would come back. I'm very disappointed, considering the price, and because my 2 older models (XW350 and XW385) have never faulted.
I've gone back to recording on my older XW385 for now which, by the way, has a couple of things I prefer over the newer blingier model.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Mark, sorry to hear about the issues with your recorder. Please contact our customer service team on 132600 and we can provide you details for your nearest service centre.

Peter Kasked

Hi,
This would be a question to the Panasonic Specialist here:
I love the DMR-BWT955, as you can also read in my 2016 review.
But I just came across a weak point and wonder, if there is a solution:
My old 2 tuner Panasonic recorder did have an HDMI output and a Super-VHS output: one to TV and one to projector.
My 2-tuner recorder died when lightning struck.
The new DMR-BWT955 (I have now 2 of those) has only 1 output, an HDMI output (I would really expect 2 HDMI outputs...)
I ordered meanwhile 4 different HDMI splitters from eBay, hoping that this would sole the issue, but it does not. Even just using the splitter and connecting one cable to the TV (and not even a the second cableconnected at all - which would go to the projector) causes picture drop-outs every 10 seconds or so (or worse).

Thus, what can I do to create a necessary second HDMI output?

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Peter, sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced trying to find a solution. Unfortunately if the HDMI splitter isn't working as a solution, the only option is to change the cable when you use the TV or the projector. Sorry we aren't able to offer an alternative solution.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I was kind of afraid that that is the case - and that is what I am currently doing (changing cables)...
It might be an idea to pass this issue on to your design team to make sure that there are 2 HDMI outputs on future models.

Thanks, Peter

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Thanks Peter, we have passed the details on.

Stephen B.asked

Hi there, Steve here I would like get a keyboard and mouse for my panasonic dmr-bwt955 instead of the remote control

Lou Symonds

Not sure what you are asking? There is an on screen keyboard in the recording menu.

Stephen B.

An onscreen keyboard using the remote control?

Stephen B.

IFI have 2 usb2. highspeed ports I should be able to connect a usb adapter right?

RudolphandHermey

RudolphandHermeyasked

I have a panasonic dmr-bwt450. All of of a sudden the unit switched off and when i turned it back on, all the already recorded programs were gone, I only had a few short movies on there. When i try to recorded anything it says not enough space on hdd and it won't record. I tried factory shipping reset thing but hasn't made a difference. I also tried turning off at powerpoint and back on again to no avail. Any ideas of whats wrong

Lou Symonds

Hi Rudolph, not able to help you, but I am sure the Panasonic representative will answer your question shortly. They are very good at monitoring this page and respond quickly. Other than that, you could contact the service department listed in your unit manual. Hope all works out for you.

Panasonic Australia C.Panasonic

Hi Rudolph, apologies but it sounds like your product may have developed a fault. You have done the usual trouble shooting steps we would recommend. Please contact our customer service team and we can provide you the details for the nearest service centre to inspect your unit.

Ted M

Ted Masked

I have just bought a DMRBWT955. It can record three at once. Can I record two and watch TV at the same time? Better still, canIi record three and watch live TV at the same time?
Ted M

Tattz

Yes, you can record three channels and watch live TV simultaneously... Assuming you can find three shows on FTA TV worth recording!

Lou Symonds

Hi Ted, I presume you can watch tv through your recorder and record two programs at the same time. I you want to record three programs than you would pre-record thru the tv guide and then switch off the recorder and watch tv separately.

Peter K

It works like that: If you record 3 programs at the same time, you can choose only 1 of those three programs for watching at the same time (when watching on your TV what ever signal comes from the DMR-BWT955), because the DMR-BWT955 has 3 tuners (and not four). However, you can select on your TV to watch TV directly (instead of the signal coming form the DMR-BWT955) and thus what any channel via the tuner of your TV (your fouth tuner, if you will).

Cheers, Peter

Get an answer from our members and Panasonic representatives