Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition

Parrot AR Drone 2.0 Elite Edition

MPNs: PRT-PF721920 and PRT-PF721923

Had to return it

Look it was a great beginners drone, but Parrot have discontinued this for a reason! My drone had an altitude problem, where it would increase altitude at a rapid speed (without my control) and then come straight back down and hit the ground. Then try to do the same thing again. There was clearly something wrong with it. The bottom camera is practically useless, it was so blurry. I’ve returned mine now and upgraded to another brand. Wouldn’t recommend

Date PurchasedDec 2017

This thing is very unstable

When you fly this drone there is NO smooth panning or movement at all. I hate to say anything negative about any drone because I have hundreds of hours flying and I am very optimistic; however this drone is absolutely not a smooth flyer. Not at all.....
I barely got this thing back to safety and once it got close to my landing pad it started doing repetitive belly flops fast and hard.
totally ridiculous drone...
Word from the "Quadfather" save your money cause the bugs 2 W drone is 100 times better and has gps, Ruth, pulse a better camera and it fly's smooth for close to $200.
This parrot is a junk.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Find something cheaper

This is a beginners drone for learning how to fly. Trouble is it costs $250.00 on sale... There are drones out there for around $100 that will do the same job.

The fixed camera is passable but not great. In full light it gives a (wobbly) fairly clear picture but it looks at the horizon and only films objects on the ground if you have the drone tilted forward to move. Underneath it has a lower resolution camera. What you would use the bottom camera for is beyond me. Maybe it's used for landing but this drone should never be flown out of visible range. (It will crash)

The controls via the Freeflight app are ok but the real issue with this drone is the connectivity. Spending $250 on anything that could break in a few minutes is daunting enough so out of the box I have been flying carefully but once the drone gets down to 30% battery or gets further away from your phone than about 50-60mtrs it seems to have a mind of its own and careens wildly and crashes.
It has a slot under the hood to insert a USB thumb drive but I haven't been able to get the drone to record footage to it. After doing a bit of research online I found this is a common problem found by most AR owners. I've tried formatting the Sandisk USB and changing properties but simply can't get the drone to write to the disk.

The AR Drone comes with two bodies. A small casing for the central body or an interchangeable larger shell that protects the rotors. I've almost always used the larger shell due to the drone constantly crashing and it does a good job of protecting it. Unfortunately it also is affected by the wind a lot more due to the increased surface area.
I had trawled the web for reviews on drones before purchasing this and there were lots of favourable reviews out there so I thought I'd go for it. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Save your money and get something better ($850 for the DJI Spark) or spend under $100 (Swann/Kogan) on a cheap one to learn how to fly.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Simple and easy to fly

It is a great beginner drone for beginners. A few things to note though is that if you are looking for a longer ranged camera drone, go for a 2.4 ghz drone. Cause of there cheap manufacturing the central cross breaks fairly easily. Which means you need a little skill to fix it.

Date PurchasedMar 2016