Qantas
2.1 from 1,072 reviews

Crikey . .

Two hours for 'Customer Service' to answer the phone, equals NO customer service. That's Time I can never get back. Come on Qantas, you're supposed to be a premium airline.

Poor recovery

Boarded a Brisbane to SYDNEY flight for 4 pm departure. Advised by pilot air conditioning wasn’t working so got put onto the 805pm.
Similar experiences have occurred to me the last 3 times I’ve flown with Qantas.
I’m over it

DestinationSydney NSW, Australia

Excellent Service

I always fly with Qantas and this year have booked all my domestic and international flights with them. First class service each time. Could not be happier and would only use another airline if Qantas did not have a service. Keep up the great work guys.

Nearly a budget airline

I've been flying for over 20 years, 10 years ago I decided to give Qantas the flick as they were getting to expensive and replaced a hell of alot to their flights with Jetstar. 10 years on, i thought i would give them another crack with a return flight to China. I can't believe how they can still call themselves a full service airline, they have cut the meals and entertainment back so far from what they used to provide whilst charging the same prices. I bet the next thing to go will be the magazine and probably another inch or two of leg room..

DestinationBeijing, China

Computer Glitch and no apology

Qantas from Auckland to Bangkok via Sydney had a computer glitch preventing normal check in process leading to delays and me missing the connecting flight to Bangkok that was rebooked to an Emirates flight 8hrs later. The issue I have was the haphazard method of checking people in manually without regard for getting the people leaving on the earliest flights first. Then only apology was from automated airport announcement. Then connecting flight check in instructions were incorrect. All in all very poor service for an understandable computer issue. Poor communication to passengers led to confusion and more frustration. Not flying qantas again. The inconvenience and stress is not worth the flight ticket

DestinationBangkok, Thailand
BookingThrough Airline

Qantas and Jetstar the worse boarding crews in the business.

Deplorable service and lol Qantas staff have an attitude except when they strike for their salary benefits, besides the males and females crew staff attitude that I’ll never smile or ask then please for anything they are there to do their job in an ethical manner and not with an unfounded superior attitude with gender bias.

Flight cancelled

Our flight was cancelled and yes i understand these things happen but the new flight they gave us is 6+ hours later. We are given no reason why it has been cancelled. We have a 12 year old who was being taken care of by our in laws but they go away today so our son now will be home alone for 3+ hours. The only way to speak to anyone is either wait 30+ minutes or through sms. Then the best they could do is get us on a flight 1/2 hour earlier which does not solve anything for us. Not happy Jan!!

DestinationSydney NSW, Australia
ClassEconomy

SMS customer service... biggest worst joke ever

Trying to modify a departure time on a flight. I am hitting a snag doing that online. Called 131313 and heard my wait time would be 40+ minutes.. Terrible. Then I'm offered sms customer service for 'fast and efficient assistance'
I don't think so.
The consultant is taking 5+ mins to respond to any of my messages and on top of that is not helpful at all. I would rate this level of customer understanding, assistance and consideration as a 0/10

This customer service product is infuriating.

Qantas has finally lowered its quality to that of Air Asia.

Up until now the worst flight I've ever taken was with Air Asia. Cramped no leg room absolutely no arm room dont drop anything unless you are an infant because you wont fit in the leg room area to retrieve it. Well I just flew from Sydneyto Cairnes on the most cramped plane ever and unfortunately it was Qantas. They must have added an extra 60 seats because it was an unbearable 3 hours of cramped torture. Next time I'll save money and fly one of the cheaper airlines that you have come to expect this type of seating on. Shame Qantas you are no longer a premium service, just another bums on seats airline.

DestinationCairns QLD, Australia

The Worst Service in International Flying Ever experienced

IT WAS MYSELF, my 13 year old ,and 9 year old sons on QF71/72 from Perth to Singapore and then return flight from Singapore to Perth 7 days later.

Our original flight was scheduled for 12th of April. Myself and my 2 young children arrived a little more than 45 mins prior to check in on this day.

We began checking in when the qantas rep then suddenly and abruptly stopped checking us in, reversed the luggage check-in conveyor and told us to take our bags back and to report to the sales desk.
On arrival to the sales desk, I was told by, again, an abrupt and surly person that "I should've arrived earlier" and "I missed my flight" and "I need to make a new booking" She ignored the fact that I had been partially processed through check-in and that the procedure was reversed mid-way through - even after I had explained this had occurred.

She then, again, in an abrasive tone, advised that my children and I were welcome to take an alternative flight at mid-night from Perth to Sydney and then to Singapore !!! ( Currently it was still a.m. )
Before I could answer, another qantas rep next to her advised this was not the case and deemed that option a "no-goer".
She then advised, I would have to come back tomorrow 13th April ( not acknowledging my children at all throughout this whole process who stood there quietly and now deeply disappointed ) and fly out then at the same time. It would cost me $200 to facilitate this and "how will you be paying ?"

Not only did the 2 qantas reps make no effort to help my family get on that original flight (45mins prior to take-off), the crass rudeness and financial penalty for nothing much other than printing a receipt, the 2 extra uberXL I had to make to get home and come out to the airport again the next day PLUS the days accommodation I had paid for the hotel for the Friday that would now not be utilized cost me apprx a week’s worth of wages for which I received nothing, other than this unbelievably terrible experience.

Unfortunately for my family and I, the return flight from Singapore back to Perth, again with qantas, the following week, also went with instances of extremely poor customer service.

After we had taken our seats, we found that we did not have our ipads for the in-flight entertainment. (I could see that all the seats ahead of us did ) and when I asked an attendant if my children and I could please get the iPads, the response was "they are still loading the plane, we'll get you one as soon as we can." This was obviously a blatant lie, as several minutes later, my son (second request) asked a different staff member the same question to which she immediately took them from empty seats near the crew seats.

When dinner was served, I was literally thrown the meal pack (yes thrown onto my table- isle seat) the salad meal, and before I could even open my mouth I was talked over with the line "this is all we have left, only the salads". I accepted it without any abrasiveness or sarcasm (remaining always calm and polite... ALWAYS CALM AND POLITE ).

The cherry on the icing was when I later witnessed that attendant having her meal break. As she had failed to close the curtain around the seats her and another attendant were seated at for meals AND SLEEP , I clearly saw, (their row was next to ours) she had 2 meals she was eating from and one of them was a chicken dinner !!!! I chuckled to myself and kept quiet on the matter thinking she obviously needed the chicken dinner that night more than me.

At that exact moment I had decided what any of my future travel arrangements would entail and what it would no longer consider !!!

I can honestly say, as I am also involved in the service industry in a sales capacity, that I was NEVER rude or abrupt with ANY of the staff of qantas both on the day of the 12th and 13th and on the return trip on the 20th as I try to set a positive example in-front of the kids on how to speak with people, especially those in the service industry.

I paid full fair x3 for my family when I could have just as easy gone with a discount airline as I have done in the past and received MUCH BETTER service and personal treatment.

I paid top dollar for a so-called premium service with its false claim of “the spirit of Australia”, was messed around at the original check-in date, treated extremely rude, fined for it, and then slapped with continuing similar terrible service on the return flight home.

I see now that there are many scathing reviews about this airline, and if I had noticed this earlier, would have selected a different carrier.

In-Flight Entertainment

Worst experience! Worst customer service! Do not fly with Qantas!

I took two Qantas flights recently from Sydney to Bali for holiday. The flight in both directions was made terrible by the fly attendants, who were the rudest I've come across. They were the two single worst flights I've taken in 20 years of flying.
13.04.19 QF43 Sydney to Bali The male flight attendant was rude from the moment the passengers boarded right up until we landed in Bali. He basically thrown at me one box of food and left in rush. My 4 years old son saw a small cake came with the box, he though it's dinner time and ate the cake, when he opened the box and found the food was spicy, he couldn’t eat any of it. I pressed service button asked for assistance and was never attended. Light remained on. When he served normal meals, I asked him if I could have something not spicy for the kid, he said he has never aten any of these foods before… the tone was enigmatic and offending. I asked him if he could give my son something else to eat, he said NO. He said he can’t give an extra meal to us because the box has been opened by my son. I had to give my meal to my son, I had no food during the fly. The lady at the front seat asked for her meal 10 minutes later, I realized the box he dropped off on my table is not for my son(I thought it was kids meal at the very beginning ), it was a special meal that lady ordered and he dropped to a wrong seat. He then found a spare meal for the lady at front seat. No one explain this to me at all. So it is my fault to open the box dropped wrongly on my table and it is my fault again called service and never attended???
19.04.19 QF44 Bali to Sydney. Attendants attitude the worst I have experienced from any airline. A female attendants was collecting rubbish from passengers, I had rubbish in my hands wanted to put in her bag, she ignored me twice, the third time she walked pass me with rubbish bag in her hands, I said, I have some rubbish, she rolled her eyes back…. What is it attitude coming from? And asked her if I can put my rubbish in her rubbish bag, she gave this look, the look of disgust. She ignored me took my rubbish (a cup and a small envelop) left without saying anything.
It was a late flight 10:25pm to 6:25am, the kids were sleeping the most of fly time, they haven’t had any meals for 6 hours. No one asked if I want to keep some food for my son when they serve meals. They served a mini size muffin before landing, my son wake up after landing, he had the muffin in his hand walking out of the plane, the same female attendants came and said to my 4 years old son, “you can’t take any food off this plane, you can eat it now, but can’t take it”. There were lots of people queuing behind me. I did not want to waste other’s time. I asked my son to give the muffin back to her. My son kept asking me why. We’ve been flew with so many airlines, they give snakes to parents when kids are sleeping and it’s allowed to take it off the plane. What is this regulation with Qantas? Or just this untrained attendant picking on us?
As a family of 5, my parents over 60 came to visit me from overseas and two young kids, we were so excited about this holiday. But flew Qantas both ways were disappointing and sincerely wish we hadn't chosen Qantas. Qantas really needs to up their games - they have lost our business and we travel regularly.
Rude racist flight flight attendants. Is this the ‘Australian Spirit” ??? This is so ridiculous!
I would not recommend anyone to fly with Qantas and I will never be flying with them again!

DestinationBali, Indonesia

Can't fault them

Easy check in online and at the airport. Nice food and it's a decent size meal. The flight attendants were nice. Plane was kinda old but comfortable. I've flown many times with many airlines and QANTAS is great.

Qantas, lift your game

Recently flew Alice Springs to Sydney. Food was rubbish. The choice was of 3 party pies of different flavours or a slice of pizza which had a 2" base and hardly any topping. My first choice from now on will be Virgin which will probably be cheaper than Qantas. Also much more legroom on Virgin

Thieves

Took my FFP without consent, turn them into a useless gift card which was not approved by account holder. Caught red handed, and will not respond to any emails.

This happened late 2018. I have sent multiple reminders requesting a response. Every time am met with 'sorry to hear that we haven't replied, we will forward onto the right team' Its been 4 of these emails now. I will never get my points back. Thanks Qantas, you crooks.

Service levels not where they used to be

Have been flying with Qantas for 8 years but will be giving Virgin ago now due to what I see as a gradual drop in service to prop up share price.

Flexi fares are fraud in my opinion, you pay a premium and then can’t change because a flexi fare is not a available on the flight you want to change to. In other words you need to write down all the times of the fares than can be booked flexible before you leave. Who does this, just a fraud to make people pay more for something that doesn’t work.

Also in flight food is trash. I know it’s free but the quality and choice is bad. I may as well travel jet star as I never eat it.

The thing with Qantas is they lock you in with points which makes you keep booking in vane that you can use to upgrade at some point. Good luck with that as well because if you want a cheap fare most can’t be upgraded.

I’ll be giving virgin a try at the end of my points year as I know you can get through the tiers faster for better rewards.

DestinationBrisbane QLD, Australia
ClassBusiness Class
BookingThird Party

Qantas does not understand customer service

In June, 2018 we made business class reservations to fly to Auckland NZ. In January received notification from Qantas of change of flight. It was only then that I realised Qantas had issued the tickets incorrectly with the wrong departure date. They refused to change the tickets to the correct date. Instead told us to cancel and rebook. It took 43 days to get a refund (recommended 10 days for refund). A letter to the CEO was not answered by him or his office.

ClassBusiness Class
BookingThrough Airline

going hungry -too spicy in-flight meals

I travel from Perth to Singapore by Qantas and every time the meals served are 2 spicy foods. .I even tried choosing and only found no gluten but it also came as a curry.Not been able to eat I saw the stewardess giving out chocolates and when I requested for one she said no.She said she will bring me mild food but that was false..

DestinationSingapore

Byzantine Rip Off Merchant

Qantas delayed flight QF2016 from Sydney to Toowoomba by 5 hours. I had several meetings lined up that I had to cancel. It had stormed in Sydney the night before at 7pm daylight savings time so assuming that was there excuse. But perfect blue skies weather today so really not an excuse. Flights into & out of Toowoomba are very expensive so it’s totally inappropriate to delay a flight by 5 hours. They placed me on hold for 30 mins then when I finally got to speak with someone they had me enter my Frequent Flyer number & pin & their system then cut me off so I just gave up. Useless overpriced airline. I used to fly Jetstar which is owned by Qantas because of their 80% strike rate of cancellations. Their CEO & management team needs to be replaced. They are just ripping people off, have total disregard for their passengers & care only for their bonuses when reporting profits to shareholders. They could have standby planes and crew for events like this but no, their salary bonuses are more important than their passengers lives. I honestly feel so stressed today I had suicidal thoughts. I already had an incredibly stressful day lined up without having this on top of it. I have decided to relocate back to Queensland so I will never have to take a plane again in my life. Trains and buses are 200% more reliable than planes in Australia so if you are overseas & reading this, Australia’s weak government has allowed profiteers like Qantas to ride roughshod over passengers. Hire a car & drive or get a train or bus. The constant plane cancellations & delays for no good reason other than defunct management & profiteering executives is cause for a Royal Commission. When will it happen? A country without a reliable means of carrying people around its country is just grinding the economic machine to a halt. Again, catch a train or bus interstate or hire a car.

DestinationToowoomba City QLD, Australia

Bad service

We flew to Singapore as a family of 6 as my daughter was getting married on princess cruises. We left on 23 February 2019 on qantas qf0035 we had amazing service and would rate a 4.5 star experience.
We flew back on qf0036 on 10 March was a totally different experience mainly a male crew and found them very rude. My husband tapped one on the arm and the look of disgust was so affending then he ignored him for about a minute then turned and said yes! Service wasn’t great no thanks you or any manners. My daughter went to the toilet and there was a queue and one of the guys walked past held his hands up and went ewww really bad manners. The lady in front of my daughter wouldn’t put her seat up for mealtime and this was not enforced by staff.

This experience has made me question is qantas hit and miss!!

DestinationSingapore Island, Singapore

No fuss short turnaround flight Sydney to Perth - Exceeded my Expectations

Booked through Webjet. Qantas 737-800 Economy. Used the superb Qantas app to check-in online and received up to the minute notifications regarding the flight status(recommended). Just over a 4 hour flight from Sydney to Perth. From reading reviews of this plane, I had visions of a very uncomfortable and even potentially onerous flight. I suppose I was fortunate that on the flight to Perth and on my return to Sydney, I shared the three seat configuration with only one other. Even so, for a domestic flight I found the trip pretty uneventful and not nearly as uncomfortable or onerous as anticipated. The seats were reasonably comfortable for economy class(male 6ft), the entertainment options fairly good and the food more than acceptable.

DestinationPerth WA, Australia