Qantas
2.1 from 1,055 reviews

Byzantine Rip Off Merchant

Qantas delayed flight QF2016 from Sydney to Toowoomba by 5 hours. I had several meetings lined up that I had to cancel. It had stormed in Sydney the night before at 7pm daylight savings time so assuming that was there excuse. But perfect blue skies weather today so really not an excuse. Flights into & out of Toowoomba are very expensive so it’s totally inappropriate to delay a flight by 5 hours. They placed me on hold for 30 mins then when I finally got to speak with someone they had me enter my Frequent Flyer number & pin & their system then cut me off so I just gave up. Useless overpriced airline. I used to fly Jetstar which is owned by Qantas because of their 80% strike rate of cancellations. Their CEO & management team needs to be replaced. They are just ripping people off, have total disregard for their passengers & care only for their bonuses when reporting profits to shareholders. They could have standby planes and crew for events like this but no, their salary bonuses are more important than their passengers lives. I honestly feel so stressed today I had suicidal thoughts. I already had an incredibly stressful day lined up without having this on top of it. I have decided to relocate back to Queensland so I will never have to take a plane again in my life. Trains and buses are 200% more reliable than planes in Australia so if you are overseas & reading this, Australia’s weak government has allowed profiteers like Qantas to ride roughshod over passengers. Hire a car & drive or get a train or bus. The constant plane cancellations & delays for no good reason other than defunct management & profiteering executives is cause for a Royal Commission. When will it happen? A country without a reliable means of carrying people around its country is just grinding the economic machine to a halt. Again, catch a train or bus interstate or hire a car.

DestinationToowoomba City QLD, Australia

Bad service

We flew to Singapore as a family of 6 as my daughter was getting married on princess cruises. We left on 23 February 2019 on qantas qf0035 we had amazing service and would rate a 4.5 star experience.
We flew back on qf0036 on 10 March was a totally different experience mainly a male crew and found them very rude. My husband tapped one on the arm and the look of disgust was so affending then he ignored him for about a minute then turned and said yes! Service wasn’t great no thanks you or any manners. My daughter went to the toilet and there was a queue and one of the guys walked past held his hands up and went ewww really bad manners. The lady in front of my daughter wouldn’t put her seat up for mealtime and this was not enforced by staff.

This experience has made me question is qantas hit and miss!!

DestinationSingapore Island, Singapore

No fuss short turnaround flight Sydney to Perth - Exceeded my Expectations

Booked through Webjet. Qantas 737-800 Economy. Used the superb Qantas app to check-in online and received up to the minute notifications regarding the flight status(recommended). Just over a 4 hour flight from Sydney to Perth. From reading reviews of this plane, I had visions of a very uncomfortable and even potentially onerous flight. I suppose I was fortunate that on the flight to Perth and on my return to Sydney, I shared the three seat configuration with only one other. Even so, for a domestic flight I found the trip pretty uneventful and not nearly as uncomfortable or onerous as anticipated. The seats were reasonably comfortable for economy class(male 6ft), the entertainment options fairly good and the food more than acceptable.

DestinationPerth WA, Australia
BookingThird Party

Promises were not kept, left stranded at Sydney Airport.

Flying from Honolulu to Sydney last month, my flight was not only cancelled once but twice (due to aircraft maintenance). Extending my stay an extra three days. We were notified about each cancellation the day of each flight, meaning that it was often too late to re-organise our connecting flight from Sydney to Brisbane (with a different airline). However throughout the whole experience, Qantas staff at Honolulu airport guaranteed that they would re-arrange our connecting flights, either with the original airline we were meant to travel on or they would put us on the next available Sydney-Brisbane Qantas flight. After an extra 3 days of being stranded in Honolulu, we finally flew to Sydney (our flight was delayed, arriving in the late evening). However once we had arrived in Sydney, there were no arrangements made for me for my connecting flight, they had not made any arrangements with the original airline, even though Qantas had asked me at Honolulu airport for my e-ticket number and flight number for my connecting flight so that they could at least contact the airline (they never contacted them, I checked). Nor were they willing to put us on a domestic Qantas flight. On top of that by this stage it was 9pm at night, and they were not even willing to provide us with accommodation for the night (Sydney airport having a curfew, there was no more flights to Brisbane until the next morning) since our flight was originally booked with a different airline, they wanted nothing to do with us, even though we were told time and time again in Honolulu that they would provide us with overnight accommodation if necessary and a connecting flight! So there was a whole group of us from that flight who hadn't been accounted for who were left stranded and had to sleep at the airport, before we could purchase another ticket for a connecting flight in the morning.
After returning home, I contacted Qantas, wanting a reimbursement for the extra connecting flights which I shouldn't have had to pay, as well as the unused connecting flights, after all, it is the airlines fault that I wasn't able to be on that connecting flight. Qantas took THREE weeks to answer my email with a "please confirm you and your partner's name and flight details", even though I had sent them photocopies of our boarding passes. It has now been two weeks since that last email and I have not heard back from them yet.

The flight itself was 'fine', but for a 10 hour flight from Honolulu to Sydney, I would have expected there to at least been a charging port in my seat.
I am a frequent flyer member for this airline and so is my whole family and we have been travelling with Qantas for years.

DestinationSydney NSW, Australia
BookingThrough Airline

Left waiting with no advice or compensation

Qantas, disgusted still at your complete lack of accountability, transparency and compensation for our cancelled flight, cancelled due to lack of staff after a weather delay (whilst other flights continued to depart). Left stranded at Sydney airport until 11.45pm at the gate with no advice until the pilots walked off the flight. Almost didn't get a hotel, pushed our flights back 2 days, cost us over $500 in extra travel expenses for extra accommodation, transport, changes to our car hire, etc and then we also missed out on a further $200 of prebooked accommodation. After all that, an offer from you to cover $200 of our unplanned hotel stay in sydney that doesn't even cover the room. Case 02483180 . Pathetic service. Don't blame the weather for your lack of ability to coordinate staff and advise customers (and your own pilots) of what's going on. Alan Joyce, rot in hell - support your staff, customers and maybe we'd stand a chance of a decent australian customer experience. Hope your shareholders are hurting and vote you out.

Worst experience

Came home from Singapore to Melbourne with qantas on the 10th of March 2019 7.40pm flight, leg room was bad the lady in front of me had her seat resting on my legs, also wasn't made to put seat up when meals came through which made it horrible to try an eat. I get up to go toilet an a flight attendant backed into me I apologize (don't know why was her fault) then she makes this snacking sound with her mouth as she rolls her eyes at me.. another flight attendant came to the back as we are lined up waves his arms around an mutters in disgust that he has to walk through us again rolls his eyes. Then when breakfast comes through flight attendant misses our niece an when she says excuse me to ask hi. As hes serving the next row already he says excuse me you can wait with a sassy blunt attitude. I paid for a service that I did not receive very disappointed and probably the worst flight I have ever been on staffs attitudes were disgusting to say the least!!! Staff at front of plane where way better we got a bunch of morons at the back.

DestinationMelbourne VIC, Australia

baggage limits

despite 23kg allowance - only one bag allowed - how is this fair to the baggage handlers, having to lift approx 250- 300 bags of this weight each flight?
Qantas certainly do not think of their staff when allowing Huge and Heavy bags into the hold... would be interesting to see the stats on injuries, time adjustments for flights, costs involved - passed onto the consumer...

DestinationBrisbane City QLD, Australia

Bloody Awful!!!

We had to go to the Netherlands for my father in law’s funeral. Every time the representatives made a mistake and had to re route the flight , they put the price up. by between $1,500 to $2000 . In disgust we went through one of their partner airlines. What a disgrace!!!!!!

ClassEconomy

Used to be a great airline but now budget airline service with premium price....not worth it

Booking process was simple enough but then my wife was asked to attend a two day conference in Sydney on the days before our flight to Noumea from Melbourne. As we were flying from Melbourne to Sydney on the way to Noumea the following day we attempted to change this leg of the flight so that we could join the plane in Sydney and save a flight back to Melbourne and back again.

This was hardly rocket science but Qantas insisted that as per their terms and conditions it would cost us something in the order of eight hundred dollars to change the tickets. Return tickets for the same flight with other airlines were around $100 so now we are flying two thousand kilometres more than we have to because Qantas have decided to become a budget airline without lowering their prices.

The worst of it was that they wanted $400 for us to just not catch the Melbourne to Sydney leg of our flight and join the plane in Sydney. $400 to not provide a flight and have an empty seat on board? They should have a show in the Melbourne Comedy Festival

DestinationNoumea, New Caledonia

Qantas Cheats

We are long time Qantas customers who don't fly much now due to old age and health concerns. We had to change or cancel three domestic flights recently due to a travelling friend's ill health. We applied for credit vouchers and knew there would be a change fee of $99. However, you have to redeem your credit voucher through Manage Your Booking website. When you do this you are offered flights that are at least one fifth higher than those offered on the normal booking website. The flights wanted were of equal or higher value to the original flights. Qantas have you over a barrel.

DestinationAdelaide SA, Australia

Horrible Customer Service and Scammed for more $$$

You should purchase tickets from US-owned airlines when you need to travel from USA to Australia, rather than from Australia-owned Qantas Airways. Qantas employees are not well trained to US customer service standards. A Qantas sales agent did not provide correct sale advice to me and its Customer Service department did not provide a reasonable solution, as I could expect from US-owned airlines. The troubles I had were not worth saving about $100 buying Qantas over US air tickets; I ended up paying more. I spent 20+ hrs on the phone and emails with Qantas and my travel agency, in addition to a $240 change fee, to correct the Qantas sales agent’s mistake. It was very hard to reach Qantas Customer Service, and my issue was not solved even though I contacted Qantas 16 days in advance. Qantas pushed me back to my travel agency, which told me that Qantas should solve the issue because of its sale agent’s mistake. Qantas does not provide a phone # for customer service, the only way to contact its Customer Service is to file an online complaint. It took 3 days to receive a confirmation email with a case # & I was told it could take up to an additional 14 business days to look into my complaint; meanwhile my return ticket was 12 days away. Qantas Customer Service only works Monday to Friday, while Qantas Airways operates 7 days a week. My family will never take Qantas Airways again.

I rated Qantas a 1 out of 10, when comparing to US owned airlines.

BookingThird Party

The worst company I have EVER flown!!!

Dont fly with qantas!!!!! Horrible customer service!!!!!!
Must share my last experience with qantas.
Booked an evening flight (time 19:55h - qf1795) for my mother-in-law from townsville to Brisbane on the 26th of February once she had an international flight departing very early in the morning on the next day!
A day before, we got a message saying that the flight was cancelled and we should fly with jet star on the same time, but believe it or not with no right to check-in any extra luggage (which was the main reason I paid 260 dollars on the chosen flight before.)
I spent 4h trying to call the customer service with no answer whatsoever!!! After a long time trying, finally someone answered the phone and confirmed that the qantas flight was indeed canceled and so was the jet star one! And if I wanted, they only could allocate her on an early flight at 12:50pm!!!
This is a joke, its ridiculous how they wanted to steal my money by transferring me to a flight with no luggage once I had already paid for one, plus I had to spend more money on a hotel, once she had to stay an extra day in Brisbane because of this!!!!
Now, how dare you do this to your loyal customers???? I used to fly a lot with qantas, specially on international flights but now I am definitely canceling my frequent flyer membership and never ever buying any tickets from you again!!!!
Thieves!!!

DestinationBrisbane QLD, Australia

Business class? A bit annoying

Business class Sydney to Honolulu return. Was surprised by the condition of the cabin. Dirty and not well maintained. Outdated.
Catering had problems though they weren't explained to us. Limited choices of dining. No snacks available. And one bottle of water per seat. Not what you expect in business class.
Customer service in flight was ordinary when existent. Asked for assistance 4 hours before landing and was never attended too. Light remained on.
Understaffed? Not well resources? Not sure what the excuse it. We paid a considerable amount so not sure where money goes. Seats where comfortable and laid flat so that's the only thing that set us apart from economy. Otherwise everything else was the same.
Compared to other, much cheaper business class experiences, very poor.

DestinationHonolulu, HI, USA
ClassBusiness Class

Unbelievably good!

Dear reader,

I flew with qantas over 4 times now. I notice they have very good customer service, especially dealing with noisy parents and babies on board. I was very impressed that they organised an earlier flight for me to leave Hong Kong before the typhoon when so many people were stuck!

Comparing to other airlines like Lufthansa, Singapore..., qantas is definitely up there with the best. My views on Qantas have totally changed!

Yours sincerely,

David

DestinationHong Kong

Customers are inconvenient

As a Silver for Life Qantas Frequent Flyer I must admit that I am utterly gob smacked as to the utter lack of interest of trying to spend a couple of minutes to try and assist a customer.
Earlier this month at the Qantas Club in Adelaide where my wife and I wanted to catch an earlier flight from Adelaide to Melbourne (as we were at the airport four hours before the flight). We proactively offered to downgrade from Business to Economy to catch an earlier flight. After pro-actively offerring to downgrade at the lounge in Adelaide I was presented with "No" and absolutely no attempt to try and find a solution. The gentlemen behind the counter (one of three who were present), and no one else besides my wife and I at the counter, was only interested in continuing their engaged conversation amongst the three staff. I was effectively told that it was too much work.
As a shareholder in Qantas this situation has resulted in lost revenue (they could have sold our business class seats) and an irritated long term customer.
If I compared this to their competitors it is another world when it comes to where customers fit on their agenda. It is also very clear externally that Qantas are prioritizing their high value customers (which I get) however that is predicated on the assumption that the high value customers remain constant and that there are no changes; read, great short term strategy, horrible long term brand strategy.

DestinationMelbourne VIC, Australia
ClassBusiness Class

In total frustration

I must share my latest experience with Qantas

Booked a flight for Leah and I to Europe in July/August with Qantas even though their prices are approx 10% dearer than Emirates
As A GOLD for LIFE Qantas member one expects to receive quality attention
In addition to the fare, I paid an additional $230 for 2 extra leg room seats

When my booking was emailed to me the extra leg room seat allocations were missing. I checked my bank account and sure enough I had been charged for the extra leg room seats

The Frequent Flyer hot line was closed, so I went on to Chat.
After approx. 1 hour on Chat I am informed that there is no record of my payment and was sent a link to apply for a refund. When the Chat room closes the link is lost.
I chose to ask for an email copy of the chat, it is now 1 hour since the chat finished and no email

NO, I do not want a refund, I want the 2 extra leg room seats I paid for. It appears that loyalty means very little with Qantas

Never choosing Qantas again

Attempted to book business class seats to NYC at special offer price. Website repeatedly crashed over two days of trying. Ended up with a class I didn’t want on a flight I didn’t want ( proceeded as I was trying to travel with companion from another state who had succeeded in making booking). Subsequently tried to make phone contact so I could speak to a human. 5 hours later still waiting for call back so rang and held on for more than an hour. No joy in trying to get on same flight as my travelling companion.
Website not able to deal with heavy traffic - FAIL!
Customer service phone system - DISMAL You’ve just lost me Qantas.

ClassPremium Economy
BookingThrough Airline

Deceived by full fare economy

I am currently mid way through a week's vacation in Bali.

My partner purchased full Economy return fares from Melbourne to Denpasar from the Qantas website.. Those fares cost a total of $1732.50 which we understood prior to purchase entitled us to a full suite of Economy class services for our trip, for the outgoing flight through Qantas code sharing arrangement with it's sister airline Jetstar.

On January 15 pm I attempted to preselect our seats for our flight the next day on the internet. But was advised on the site that there was no seat preselection available for our flight. On January16 having checked in and having boarded the aircraft we found we had been allocated seats 54G and 54J, which were in the back row and did not recline! That seemed an unusual allocation for full fare Economy tickets. After takeoff we found that our entertainment systems were inoperable despite everyone else's operating normally. Upon asking the onboard flight staff for they to check our systems we were told that we had not paid for the provision of entertainment services. We were also told that we would not be entitled to food and beverage services. I complained to the onboard service staff that it was ridiculous and simply wrong that we should be denied the above normal services entitlement of a full Economy fare. The onboard service staff member shared his sympathy to us. But said Qantas often does what we were experiencing.

As I am sure you will imagine my partner and I were extremely annoyed and frustrated and disappointed by the above situation. It seemed to us (and still does) that Qantas sold us a Jetstar codeshare full fare Economy outgoing fare. But failed to provide a full fare Economy service. It would seem Qantas deceived us and ripped us off by the difference between a full Economy fare and a "bare bones" for the outgoing flight. Accordingly we should have simply bought cheap Jetstar flights.

DestinationDenpasar City, Bali, Indonesia
ClassPremium Economy

Reliable, only 1 delay in 18 flights

Easy to book, reliable, excellent customer service. Fare includes baggage, seat and food no extras to pay.
Good app, wifi on loads of flights
(I used Jetstar 4 times 2 cancelled flights 2 delayed ! )
Lounge is ok but always very very busy

DestinationPerth WA, Australia

Service is going down

I have been flying with Qantas for more than 20 years and have tried to remain loyal but the domestic service is getting worse. Flights in the past 2 years have been cancelled or delayed. Baggage services are not the same standard as they were in 2012. The baggage handlers have less respect for customer property. The avenues to complain are also not easy which indicates that Qantas is receiving too many complaints. The evening meals are still good but other snacks and meals in economy could improve. Entertainment is good and the new WIFI option is also good.

DestinationMelbourne Airport VIC, Australia
BookingThird Party

Recently paid for Premuin Economy from London to Perth. Boarded the flight and the crew informed me the seat foot rest was broken and couldn’t be used. 16hrs unable to put my feet up and sleep which is why I paid double the price of economy. Do I have any grounds for a partial refund or should I just leave it? Cheers
I definately would be asking for compensation, i have always found them willing to sort issues out. Recommend using the live chat option on their home page rather than phone calling. You can wait on hold a long time and get frustrated. All the best and update the outcomeDid you ask for compensation and were you successful? Just interested - I've complained about many substandard things with Qantas this year and they seem to not give a toss!Don't be a dildoh and put in a dispute with your credit card provider for goods not rendered ffs!

I have tried unsuccessfully to utilise my credit pending of AU$5939.19 before expiry date of 19/09/2018 Edreams REF: 3049660455. My requested flight frm BNE on QF509, connecting to QF63 to JNB on 17/7/2018. Rtn frm JNB on QF64 connect QF540 to BNE on 21/08/2018. This flight is AUD$4837.03 A DIFFERENCE OF AUD$1102.16! There should be no penalties as this was conveyed to Edreams BEFORE original flight delay. We have an email CONFIRMING CREDIT WILL BE HELD TILL 19/09/2018. I once again called today the 26/06/2018 and was informed I cannot get a refund, nor can I get the booking requested? Edreams agent said told that it is Qantas that is NOT ALLOWING THIS BUT HE HAS GIVEN AUTHORITY ON 'LINE 15', WELL THERE IS NO LINE 15 PER QANTAS! Who is responsible to give this credit to me as my flight requested? Qantas have no objection to the changes requested, they just need authorisation from Edreams to allow the changes. Why am I not allowed to use my credit? Thank you for your assistance
it's not quantas its edreams playing games with you, check the fine print basically you need to call the airline and clarify again what needs to be done then speak with edreams if you getting no where call the ombudsmen they will help you resolve this dispute exolain to edreams you will take further actionsInitiate a bank chargeback and get your money back! F.uck Qantas!

can I get a upgrade from economy at the airport?