Qatar Airways

Qatar Airways

See the Best International Airlines in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Worst Airline in the World

I agree with most reviewers on this one- how did this get voted as number 1 airline as it definitely is the worst Arline in the world, and I travel a lot. There is no accountability or customer service. Our family booked a flight Perth to Europe, 2 business class in December last year. 1 hour into the flight I stepped into human fences left from an unwell steward in the toilet, I have type 1 diabetes and complex medical issues, hence the business class seats, I had an open ulcer in the foot, it entered into the my bones causing osteomyalitis, infection and amputation of my toe. I am still in a moon boot after surgeries and continual hospital clinics and specialist appointments. Qatar and Flight Centre were disgraceful with the handling of this situation and I am will be lodging a formal complaint once I am well enough to do so. Worst experience of my life.

DestinationBelgrade, Serbia
BookingThird Party

Beware if something goes wrong

Had a horrific trip with my family, from Perth to Europe with stay in Doha, business class.
Had a serious incident on the plane and medical emergency and have suffered an amputation because I stepped into their business class bathroom in human faeces which became infected, ruined our ski holiday and their lack of response and than to top it off, denial of any liability, because wait for it, despite the panicked stewards and no further entry into the bathroom for the whole trip, it was chocolate I stepped into with my open ulcer- just the very smelly kind. Unfortunately the UAE aniline conglomerates are famous for such disasters happening. When they are good, they are fine, but if something goes wrong than strap yourself for a whole world of pain. For $25 000 worth of airfares and stay over it was one of the worst experiences me and my family ever had to endure and i am still recuperating from it due to surgery and a moon boot. Very bad.

unbelievable ignorance

Flew to the United Kingdom with Qatar airlines direct to visit dying mother, on the way back we rested up in Doha for 3 days. On arrival in Doha Qatar Customs confiscated a 500ml bottle of very expensive Scotch Whiskey that was in my suitcase. This bottle was not to be consumed but to be returned with me to Australia it held significance for me due the circumstances of my visit. On departure i explained to Qatar staff at the check in desk that i had to retrieve the confiscated whiskey and place it in my luggage prior to check in. Qatar staff stated that this was not necessary and that i should pick up the whiskey from customs and that i could board the flight. Customs returned the whiskey, the fact that it was in an unsealed bag meant i could not take this on the flight. I then went to the gate where my flight was to board two and a half hours before boarding time and asked to talk with a supervisor this request was denied. Security staff could not tell me if i would be allowed to board with the whiskey. I then spoke with Qatar airlines staff to check in my hand luggage they stated this could not be done. My wife flew home on her own and i spent 24 hours in the airport prior to being flown home due to my angry frustrated disagreement with staff at the security check desk prior to boarding. I will never fly with this airline or visit this country again.

Dnt fly Qatar!!!

This was the first time we flew qatar to malta, an excrutiating 24 hr flight with a stop in Doha for 8hrs.the long haul flight was cramped and uncomfertable with below average service on both long haul flights there and back.
We waited 30 min several times for a drink when we would request and we found the attendants on the way there rude and not attentive.
The shorter 6 hr legs had alot better staff but I still would not recommend nor would I fly them again.
To add insult to injury the airline had damaged my luggage on arrival and ripped a wheel of along with some of the hard shell casing.
It's now week 6 of me trying to get a response from the company and they are just not responding.i have sent 5 emails and have been completely ignored.
We will never fly them again, this airline does not care especially about their economy passengers and need some serious retraining with there customer service standards.

DestinationMalta

Not trustworthy

It was my first time flying Qatar from Berlin back to Sydney and I will never travel with them again. Whilst the flight was fine, when landing in Doha I realised I had left my iPad in the pocket of the seat. I realised immediately after getting into the terminal and let the ground staff know straight away. They didn’t bother to ask someone to look for half an hour and then told me it wasn’t there, that I have to email lost and found. I emailed and after four days they let me know it didn’t show up. I know it was my own silly fault but you would hope that their staff would be trustworthy. So fly Qatar but just don’t leave anything behind as you may not see it again.

left with a bad taste

I have flown Qatar in the past. I n 2018 I flew Sydney to Madrid. My last experience was less than ideal. Flying into Doha is a nightmare. There is nothing of any note at the airport. The Qatar lounge was full and my family of four had to stand for 90 minutes whilst we waited for a shower to become available. The flight into Qatar was OK although I do not think the economy class is as good as say Singapore airlines. The food served was cold and rubbery and the entertainment options were limited with some highly restrictive censorship of some movies.
The flight from Doha to Madrid was worse. The A350 was very uncomfortable. There is significantly less leg room than on the Boeing 777 and the seat are hard! On this segment we were served a mysterious deep fried pastry as the snack and the breakfast was probably the worst meal I have ever eaten on a plane.

The positives of this trip were that we arrived safely and that the flights were all on time.

I was tempted by Qatar's cheap flights to give them another go. I fly to Spain every year and I had booked another ticket. Unfortunately the current issues in the Gulf with the no fly zones have turned me off. I have rebooked with Qantas as they have altered their flight paths such that they avoid the Straits of Hormuz. I have asked for a refund on my tickets. Now I know that there is always a penalty for doing so but the fee on Qatar is excessive. I have been told that the cancellation fee for each ticket will be nearly $600 aud. This is on a $1400 ticket. The flight was booked for late October and it is now July. Plenty of notice for Qatar to resell on. Now I fly with Qantas and Singapore frequently and I have needed to cancel flights with these airlines in the past. Even though the tickets that I have cancelled in the past were cheap economy class fares the penalty was nowhere as near as steep. In fact the last time I had to cancel with Qantas, the airline reduced the penalty charge significantly as a gesture of good will.

The summary of this story. Buyer beware and you get what you pay for. A cheap ticket is not always what it seems and there is definite correlation between the cost of an airfare and the quality of the product. I will not ever be tempted to fly with Qatar airways again. My advice for anyone flying to Europe, spend a bit more and fly one of the legacy airlines like Qantas, Singapore or Cathay Pacific. I would also suggest to look at the geopolitical situation in the Gulf at the moment. Do you really want to be flying anywhere near airspace where drones have been shot down. Remember conflicts can get out of hand and commercial aircraft have been targeted in the past.

DestinationMadrid, Spain

Cancellation refund not paid back after 5 months

I cancelled my tickets in March 2019 but did not receive the refund money back in my account. It's been a few months now that I just receive an email every month with an email "Sorry we are working with our financial department to resolve the issue". It appears that this airline is bankrupted.

Very greedy airline

It was our first big overseas trip and we knew we knew we were going to be charged some excess baggage coming home as we had bought gifts for family and friends BUT $1400 NZ is just GREEDY especially when there were obese people on the plane that should have been charged for an extra seat .......but I bet they weren't we ended up having to send a bag as cargo which was still $600 NZ and it would take about one week. .....not sure in what condition it will arrive either. And then our bags that were to come home with us didnt even end up getting on the plane !!! So we arrived home with none of personal belongings at all and are still waiting for them to be deivered to our home. Very dissapointed and will never use them again !!!

DestinationAuckland, New Zealand
BookingThird Party

Dont use qatar air if you are after customer service

No customer service
no flexiblity
Dont bother with qatar air
they are just terrible at customer service
Booked a ticket for my girlfriend and she is overseas and they really gave me a hard time and have no flexiblity.

I am not sure if they even deserve one star

Flight from Sydney to Beruit, I did not use the service due to compelling circumstances. I paid $4300 for 4 flights tickets. I lost the money without any compensation due to their bad customer service and the only way for me now to proceed with Tribunal.
They do not respect our life and laws in Australia, they take our complaints personally and everything is related to Doha, Qatar. Nothing can be solved in Australia even they benefit from our country.
The government should make action about the foreign airlines as they do for domestic ones, it is really unacceptable.
They must implement our lawys and policy.

Frustrated and disappointed

How this Airline was voted number 1 is beyond me. I'm giving them a second chance after a terrible flight last year when they were short on Air Hostesses and it took forever to get served. I ordered vegetarian meals and they mistook if for Vegan, one of the meals was some limp lettuce and old tomato with flimsy bit of gladwrap draped over it. We were on the tarmac in Doha for 2 hours, boiling hot, no aircon and weren't even offered any water. Recently I have heard good reviews so have tried my luck second time around but once again they have failed me due to not being able to check-in online and select a seat. The customer service rep was rude and told me I just have to go to the Airport and check-in 3 hours prior, whereas its only 2 hours prior if you are able to check-in online. She also told me all aisle seats are now taken and my husband and I won't be able to sit together. Absolutely disgusted with this Airline - NEVER AGAIN!

ClassEconomy

Customer service does not exist

App is misleading when it comes to upgrade! customer service dont reply to email's and are not helpful on the phone either. I fly regularly and this airline has the worst service.

Bassinet of Hell

We are extremely disappointed by the treatment of Qatar Airlines at the treatment we received tonight from the Melbourne airport team. We booked our flight Melbourne-Milan and on 14 August 2018. We have called up the Qatar phone line to confirm a bassinet seat multiple times as recent as two days ago and have email evidence that the bassinet seats were confirmed and allocated. At check-in we were informed that our seats had been re-assigned and there were no bassinets available and to speak to the managers on the help desk.

The initial person we spoke to R..... was completely rude to my wife and said there was nothing they could do as there was 14 infants booked on the flight and only 8 bassinets - too bad. My wife was flying for 24 hours by herself with a 1 y/o infant, that was never going to happen. We offered to pay to upgrade as there were bassinet seats available in business class but this was not an option according to the Melbourne team. We called the Qatar reservations while waiting at the counter and were informed that our confirmed seat in the system was a bassinet and they shouldn't have been re-allocated. They said they would be able to provide an upgrade to business but the phone was passed to the team in Melbourne and they dismissed his request to assist us. We couldn't even pay for an upgrade!

S....... the most senior person at the counter tried his best to help and arranged for our bags to be pulled of the flight and moved the flight to the next day.
P..... the manager on duty should be sacked. He started by accusing us of lying regarding the confirmed bassinet seat booking as he had checked on their system. After seeing the email confirming the seats, he stated we would have never ever retrieved a bassinet as there were younger babies on the flight and his policy was to give the bassinet in order of age. Too bad was the airline policy and to top it off we wouldn't event be able to guarantee a bassinet for the following nights flight they had just re-scheduled.

How can an airline which is meant to be the best in the world have an policy to ensure that despite your customer doing everything possible you were never going to be offered seat which you had booked and confirmed?

We were stunned by the horrible experience we received tonight and counting the costs. #QatarFail

DestinationMilan, Metropolitan City of Milan, Italy

An incredible experience on Qatar Airways from ADL to OSL

We decided to choose Qatar to fly from Adelaide, AU through to Oslo, NO. We were not disappointed, from the moment we stepped onto the A350 in Adelaide we felt welcomed and comfortable. The staff on board could not have been more friendly/accommodating, the food was perfect, the service was smooth and well organised without the usual rushing about. The lounge stop over in Doha where we were able to shower and freshen up was a superb addition before our onward A350 leg to Oslo. All in all we were very happy with everything on board, all the flights were on time and the service was just what you expect from an airline boasting the best business in the world. I would like to try their Qsuite on our next trip!

DestinationOslo, Norway

Absolutely Perfect!

I am a frequent flyer with Qatar Airways and I wouldn't fly with any other airline. I have flown in their business and economy class and the seats are both comfortable and ergonomic. The service is flawless, the food is good and the seat comfortable seat is very important for the 12h+ flights from Australia. Doha Airport is great and the service is amazing.

BookingThrough Airline

Gold member myself and family 15 months spent 50000$ can’t claim my points also first 4 months my account have been dele

Badddd can’t claim my reward or points they hopelessly they are truely shocking customer service if any1 care about there qmiles they better try different airways,
Qatar airways good flight bad service

ClassBusiness Class
Been telling them for while know, They delete my account all family business trips fly like a bird in return they saying family missing miles only 30 days can be claimed, Almost it’s been year they don’t do anythinkShocking last week parent went to holiday the flight was delayed Took me 5 hours on the day next day few more hours talking left right central, In return they say it’s all good I ask them nicely if they can update the seat business no sir no sir, When it comes to stealing miles or points or playing 3 monkey they pretty good, Sir I’m India Melbourne airport we don’t no why they haven’t done it, Melbourne air port Qatar airways employees ohhh we will send email to Doha, f........I was really patient till last few days

Don't do Qatar Airways!

The bad:
Very little leg room and space, the food is the worst airline food I've ever had. Entertainment options are very limited with weird censorship on movies (they removed a scene with a guy praying in one film). Without key scenes the movie lost a lot of meaning.

The really bad:
If you have a problem, no matter how small, forget about getting any assistance. These guys are a bare basics airline and the staff DO NOT want to help you or deal with any problems. I had two unrelated problems with my flight (one to and one return) and the response from staff in both instances was essentially 'not my problem, don't care' and they will try to get rid of you as quickly as possible. In both cases I had staff lie to me just to get me to go away. This is especially true if you are unfortunate enough to have to call their office/help centre. Expect rudeness, lies and a 'don't care' attitude.

Note also other reviews where people have mentioned problems. This is a common trend - if there are issues you will be treated with contempt.

The most you can hope for with this airline is there is luckily no problems and you will arrive at your destination safely and on time (albeit uncomfortable and maybe a bit hungry).

Don’t risk it, it's not worth it. Spend a little more and go with an airline with real customer service.

BookingThird Party

Qatar Airways deny any responsibility for unacceptable delays due to plane technical difficulties

Our ordeal with Qatar Airways flight QR908 from Doha (Qatar) to Sydney (Australia) on 25/04/2019 revealed poor organisation and ignorant customer service when unexpected situation emerged. Qatar Airways had to divert the flight in question to Perth due to technical difficulties with the plane. We had to stay overnight in Perth. Although Qatar Airways organised accommodation and airport transfer to a huge number of passengers (A380 plane), there was no enough information to passengers and their logistic in organising this stop over and continuation of the trip was terrible. We eventually landed in Sydney with 28 hours of delay. Out of those 28 hours, we spent at least 9-10 waiting in queues at the Perth Airport (waiting for hotel vouchers at the arrival and boarding passes before departure). Lack of information by the cabin crew in the plane and then airport teams in Perth was very frustrated. It was very difficult to arrange any connection transport for the people who did not have Sydney as their final destination. As we arrived in Sydney very late, took our luggage at 10:55pm, the only option to us was to take a rental car to get to our final destination. When we approached Qatar Customer Service asking for possible financial compensation, they denied any responsibility. They advised they are not responsible for any travel arrangement, which is not part of our itinerary with Qatar. When we booked the flights with them, we definitely did not contemplate this ordeal and couldn't include it in our itinerary.

DestinationSydney NSW, Australia

Worst customer service ever

Never get this airline so bad service before the flight Bad worst customers service will never ever fly with them again my suitcase the weight is over by 2kgs, I had to get out of the line & make 30kg flight is also delayed have to 3 connect not 2, it’s my last time. So disappointed.

DestinationAmsterdam, Netherlands
BookingThird Party

Worst flight ever, my every night nightmare

Today I read a similar opinion on this site about how much Qatar airways is a disaster, so I decided to write my opinion to avoid other passengers have this nightmare. A disaster which Qatar Airways Iran staff made for us; a very bad event that made our trip awful and makes us nervous each time we think about it, and is not forgettable for us even after five months; and prevents us from thinking about travelling with Qatar Airways for our future trips. I also shared the experience with Qatar airways support and they made it even worse.
My husband and I have been members of Qatar privilege club and have traveled previously with Qatar Airways to other destinations and also with other international airlines, but they made our trip a terrible memory.
my husband and I and our son who was 1.5 year old were travelling together and there was 70 Kg allowed baggage on our tickets.

Our flight was from Tehran to Sydney on 30 Oct 2018,(first to Doha and then to Sydney) which encountered us with unprofessional and unfair staff of Qatar Airways in Iran. At the time of check in, we delivered our bags to be tagged for transport; as per regulations, each one was below 32 Kg, but the man behind the counter told us to decrease the size to 30 Kg, and make the bag emptier. We told him that in your website it is written that each piece of bag can be maximum 32 Kg, but he said “No, it’s not; where did you see it?!”. I was just trying to find the related web page that he proceeded and passed our bags. Then he came out to tag the baby pram and saw our bags with us and the baby bag inside the pram and told nothing and didn’t require to weigh them. He just tagged two carry-ons and told us that we can go for the flight.

At the time of boarding on the plane, after we had delivered our boarding pass and in the isle to the plane, one of the staff called us to return and check our bags. They stopped us from boarding into the plane, and told us that you have too many bags. We told them that we are 3 persons, each have a carry on which is tagged (and therefore in the allowed weight) and put our handbag stuff in small backpack, as we had an infant and could not carry handbags with us; we neither had cloth covers, nor handbags, nor umbrellas, and not any other of the stuff which is allowed in Qatar airways website; it was just our handbag stuff (included mainly our immigration documents) which we put in small backpack as we had a baby pram and could not carry several things with us. without any hand bag we only had a small backpack besides mentioned carry ons which had tags.
We told them why you tell us now? What can we do now? If anything was wrong, why didn’t you mention it at the counter? The man at the counter saw our handbags as well, and the baby sac, and didn’t require to weigh them; They said in a rude and impolite manner that you shouldn’t discuss with us; else the plane will go and you will miss the flight (even though we were in the isle to airplane and our boarding pass was torn!) and he put us in a hurry up status that couldn’t decide what to do. We asked them what should we do now? They told us you should through your stuff away, or pay a fine, or select the third way, which is missing the flight! The man which seemed to be the supervisor of others (a bald tall man) was just trying to make us nervous with his words so that we pay the fine.
We tried to decrease our stuff, which was mainly baby food and fruit for the flight duration (as it was an 18-hour flight), baby cereal, baby formula and baby clothes! I was even throwing some important documents outside as the result of the stress that the supervisor man put on us! They weighed our bags again and said you have to pay; they even re-weighed the bags which were tagged by their own staff and said they are over-weighted! I can’t understand what it means to weigh a bag which is tagged and say it is over weighted? So why do they tag it at the counter? Why should they behave differently in two places? The man at the counter had seen all of our bags which was 2 carry on and 2 small bags for our documents, if it had any problems, why didn’t he say it at that time, when we could give our extra baggage to our relatives at the airport and prevent all these stress and bad experience? I have never seen such a cruel airline staff that make you through away baby food and water and clothes which were prepared for a long 18-hour flight! Other famous airlines which fly in the same path never do that (as we have checked it with people in our social groups and everyone was so surprised of the behavior, as other airlines never do that, and they understand the hard circumstances of having an infant with you while travelling)!
After throwing all these baby stuff away, they still told us that you have to pay, else we won’t let you get in the airplane; and received 440 dollars for just 8 kilograms which was the weight of the heaviest bag of us! We were 3 persons, if each of us had a handbag of 2 to 3 kilograms, that weight would have been covered, so receiving that fine was totally unfair, as lots of other people who were passing at the same time had handbags and clothes covers in addition to their carry-ons, and I don’t think a handbag would weigh less than 2 to 3 kilograms.
This behavior of Qatar Airways staff made us very disappointed of Qatar Airways, which was our first choice for our travels before that, and we recommended it to our friends. Anyone that have heard of the experience became so surprised of this behavior with a family holding an infant child, and some of them which have upcoming tickets which Qatar Airways became so distressed. We did not share this experience in social networks, as we thought it would be better to report it to Qatar Airways customer care first, so that we could get a compensation on this issue and get back our unfair fine and also penalize the unfair and impolite behavior of the supervisor. But after we reported them the case, they wrote us after a long time, referring our name as [name removed]! (I don't know who was that) and told us an unfair and false story about what had happened to us, and that everything was right. The story was obviously wrong, so I replied them in another email that you have probably miskaken us with another person, but they said that they were right without any other explanations. I'm really sorry for them, as this type of communication from customer service exactly shows what a careless spirit of caring to customers is available in Qatar, as I've read in other people's comments as well. I don't know how much I can influence on spreading my experience, but at least I try my best.
Just avoid this rude airline to show them that it is not enough to have big airplanes, it is important to do your job professionally and respect the customers, which I'm sure they never do.

DestinationSydney NSW, Australia