Ring Video DoorBell

Ring Video DoorBell

MPN: 8VR1S5-VAU0

Very disappointing

Purchased this on the weekend on a whim thinking it would be a handy device to monitor visitors. The problems started right from setting up an account - the app would not allow me to enter address details then later my phone repeatedly would not join the ring network on wifi. Tried the suggested resets etc without success and finally decided wasting more precious weekend hours was not worth it. Only discovered a subscription fee was required after reading other negative online comments - cleverly not mentioned at point of sale. Returning ASAP.

Purchased at The Good Guys for $139.00.

Functionality
Connectivity / Reliability

Appalling Hardware and Software

Stay away. The doorbell WILL disconnect from your wifi, it then will REFUSE to reconnect and you MAY get lucky and it reconnects. It will simply fail and you get a useless troubleshoot that simply tells you YOU and YOUR wifi are at fault. I have 15 wifi devices on my network and they DONT have ANY to issues connecting and staying connected. and the ring chime - is EVEN WORSE, it now can NOT see my wifi, BUT it can see my neighbours, this is after randomly disconnecting from the network. And you HAVE to PAY $42AUD annual to use it.

Purchased for $450.00.

Functionality
Night Vision
Connectivity / Reliability
Ease of Installation
Motion Detection

Door bell connectivity is hit and miss

This product is not worth the money. Connectivity via phone is hit n miss.

Sometimes notifies you some one is at the door after after they have gone home.

Battery only lasts about a month so get a spare.

Over all your better off getting a simple door bell and not wasting your money.

Dishonest conduct!!!!

Having purchased the product all worked well once I bought the additional door chime to enable us to hear the doorbell in the house. My issues started once the one month trail period expired. I understood the concept that I would not be able to save any activity on the cloud once the trial period was over. What I didn't count on was the supplier preventing me from answering my doorbell remotely by injecting a constant reminder to subscribe to the cload that won't stop reappearing until it's to late to answer the doorbell. This is done deliberately to force the user to subscribe to a service they don't want. Commercial blackmail.

not tamper proof doorbell unit

i bought this system an in one day had to reset it my main issue is the unit is definitely not tamper proof the screws underneath are exposed and do not sit inside unit so as to not been as noticeable anyone with descent pliers could easily remove the screws come on surely this would have been seen in design

Hi Seano, Ring doorbells are screwed into a mounting bracket and anchored to the wall so it can’t be easily removed. If it does get stolen, the doorbell will capture a video of the incident, which you can use to file a police report and we will replace it for you. The following article will tell you what to do if your Ring device is stolen: https://bit.ly/2wny9zb Bilan J., Customer Satisfaction Specialist Bilan.jenkins@ring.com

Terrible Product

Have to constantly reset and reconnect to wifi, unreliable, laggy, terrible motion sensor and the support for this product may as well not be there. I am going back to a conventional door bell whilst I look for another product.

Hi JRO, I'm sorry to hear about your recent experience but I'd like to connect with you today to provide additional options for you with the hope that you'll remain in our Ring family. I'd like to also investigate your past CS tickets to learn more about the issues you encountered. Would you reach me at Bilan.jenkins@ring.com? Bilan J., Customer Satisfaction SpecialistI am sorry but after trying so many times I have removed the doorbell and got my money back, I will never try these products again nor can I recommend it to anyone!

Really really useful- thanks the inventor !!

Real product, I get alerted with all motions and I often talk to people front of my door when I’m away - when I saw the ad I wasn’t keen but since I use it I’m very keen to keep it going

Special thank to the inventor

Zach

Terrible performance as a doorbell

The Ring Doorbell is great if you want to record people leaving your front door or if you want to record any kind of insignificant motion in front of your door. The motion sensor seems to trigger when wind blows in the tree in front of my house but for some reason doesn't trigger when a person walks up in front of it...

The time between someone ringing the doorbell and the time you get the notification is way too long, then add the time it takes for the app to start up and show you the video feed is even longer. Using this as a doorbell is simply not feasible and all you will end up with is paying $30 per year of recordings of people walking away from your front door. It's great if that's what you are into, I find it pretty useless.

Do not buy RING products

Not recommended. The system works ok most of the time. I don't recommend the product because I was promised that Homekit support would be available for the RING products I purchased but having messaged their support chat today it would appear thats not going to be the case at all. They are lying to get sales. Customer support via social media doesn't exist - all you get is crickets and their customer support chat via the website is terrible.

Hi Peter, Our top priority at Ring is to ensure that our neighbors have the best possible experience with our products, and sometimes that causes shifts in when certain features will be available. We are as eager to bring you HomeKit compatibility and other exciting integrations as you are, and will share more information on timing as soon as we have it. Will you kindly email me at Bilan.jenkins@ring.com so that I can further address any concerns you have and learn more about your interaction with our CS team? Thank you, Bilan J, Customer Satisfaction SpecialistHi Bilan, This isn't about a shift - this is about deception and the business you work for has been caught doing exactly that - lying to customers to secure sales. I sent James (Customer Outreach) providing details of my conversation with customer support where they have advised me that it is possible your products will NEVER be updated to include support for HomeKit. I will forward that email to you now. Regards, PeterBilan, I sent you an email 18 days ago and have not received a response from you. "Our top priority at Ring is to ensure that our neighbors have the best possible experience with our products" - well that's a lie too isn't it.

Inconsistent motion sensor

We set this up between our front door and the garage and every motion from the street (about 5 meters away) gets picked up even after adjusting the sensitivity, when we drive into our garage, it doesn't trigger the motion sensor (not sure if it is a good thing or not).

I like the way the video recording gets saved and can be accessed from anywhere (with subscription - first month is free)

Poor design

I had 100% wifi coverage at the ring 2. The health icon said I had poor coverage. Had to spend $50 more for a ring wifi extender to get it to work properly. Got the impression it was designed that way to get you to buy another ring product

Customer service is the worst I have ever experienced

Not only are the products themselves very choppy and laggy despite having 100MB internet and a rock solid wireless mesh, but issues associated with my protect plus account have been unresolved after 1 online chat ( not followed up as promised) and 3 calls to the US which have resulted in over 1 hour of lost time with no result. In one instance a call was dropped whilst on hold and no attempt to call me back even though they had taken and verified my phone number. Had to repeat the issue over and over (at least 5 times) and ultimately jump through their asinine hoops before proving the issue was with them and not my web browser. Would not recommend.

Hi Grobolo Salamanca, It is extremely important that our neighbors have the best possible experience with our products and our CS agents. I'd like to review your CS tickets and ensure that any concerns you have are resolved. Please email me directly: Bilan.jenkins@ring.com Thank you, Bilan J, Customer Satisfaction SpecialistFixed account issue after just 2 whole weeks. Awesome experience - not!

Disappointing Performance , But great when working

I was excited to purchase and set this device up, but unfortunately there were a number of let downs. To fit and install this device was a piece of cake, they provide all the tools to mount the device. As IT professional with over 20 yrs experience I had a feeling there would be issues after I downloaded the app, it was apparent to me there were some bugs from the get go (app wouldn't open initially, app was not repsonding in setup, lagging, etc) I reinstalled the app a number of times and re setup the Ring device on 2 different phones but unfortunately experienced the same issues. Put simply, the door bell works maybe 50 % of the time, ie, notify there is someone at the door,(which in this case is really the sole purpose - door bell) however the log will always show every transaction. The app often wont load and just freezes, when using the door bell the next day often wouldnt work, but i found by resetting the phone it would start functioning properly (app issue) Personally I think the app needs some refining. I can appreciate there are some dependencies on your home IT infrastructure (internet) (mobile phone) for this device to flow and work properly but in this case I tested internet speed and there were no drops out, its NBN, speeds are good - 34 mbps , I re setup 5-6 times on 2 month old android phone and tried my phone, same deal..... so really no excuse for this to work 100%. It simply doesnt.

To add, I have just learnt you need to pay for a subscription after 60 days to view video and missed door bells rings. Very disappointed considering the product is inferior and its really just being used a cam, which essentially i could get online somewhere for 50 and not have to pay any sort of subscription.

Video quality ordinary (if it connects at all), sound quality extremely poor, delayed Chime tone

I have had the "Ring" (given as a gift) less than 24 hours and it does not pass our most basic tests. We are operating on a broadband internet network with a fully functional WiFi and very mild usage on the Wifi whilst we were trying to make this work. My summary experience as follows:
* Delays between when the door bell is pressed and when the chime inside the house sounds. Average 6 seconds, on occasion less, but often enough far more and sometimes the chime does not ring inside at all. Inconsistent. There is no direct connection between the doorbell and chime. If Wifi is down, will not work at all even as a basic door bell.
* The door bell can only be rung once. It then lapses into a coma whilst it tries to send messages across to your phone that someone has rung the bell. It is just not practical where you don't have your phone with you and someone is at the front banging on that door bell and wondering why no-one is answering.
* Does not always send messages to all phones that are connected to the account. Inconsistent is the only way I can describe it.
* Massive delay for the phone to connect to the video, if it connects at all. I am talking when in the same house on the same wifi. The video has often timed out before it connects.
* If after all the above mishaps the person who has rung the bell is still patiently waiting at the door (only saints need apply) the picture quality you will receive is grainy and pixelated in a very well lit area,. I cannot work out why but sometimes it is black and white and sometimes colour. Poor quality image at any rate.
* The pièce de résistance is trying to speak to the person. Mumbled stutterings are the best we could manage, with the biggest issue being that the person at the front door could not hear what had been said.

I did note with interest the appalling rating the Ring App has received on Google Play Store, but I went in to this agnostic of those reviews and gave it a very fair try and a number of hours spent trying to prove it can work. It did not and my experience is reflective of those same reviews. The product is now back in the boxes it came in and to be sent straight back to the store for a refund. It is just not up to scratch.

Dont waste your money

The quality is terrible. Ours is under a verandah. Someone walks down the driveway it triggers the motion but there's no way you could make out their face. Its also struggles because of glare even though its under cover.

They state the battery should last 6 to 12 months. Thats a joke as i have to charge ours every 3 weeks or so.

When it captures motion it only saves 30 secs of it. So pathetic. You pay $40 subscription per year for that added bonus. Also a joke.

Half the time Live View doesnt work. When it does it takes so long to connect that you've missed what ever it was you were trying to see.

Dont waste your money. Certainly dont use it for any type of security for your home. The quality is pathetic.

Crap. Unreliable.

I have the pro version that is hardwired. Having had an existing hardwired doorbell it should have been easy - but alas no. A complete waste of time given voltage sensitivities. And the US helpline have no idea if you're outside the US. I'd rate it zero if able, given the cost.

should come with large poster "knock loud or yell"

I bought the Ring doorbell and it worked for a bit, then it did not then it did...........
over the time I have it (bought 7/8/16), I would have reset it more than 50 times. I hate to get rid of it because it cost $ 289.00 plus I bought a chime for it too. all parts, chime, motion detection, network connection, delay in notice are frustrating.
Christmas is almost here, I will give it to somebody I hate enough
I will use a cardboard " knock loud and/or yell"
It will be an instant improvement

Worked for me

Started with a doorbell and expanded to 4 more cameras which has covered the whole house. Found it easy to set up and use. Can see the comments of load up times of the videos but my experience has bee around 10 secs delay from the moment I press the button. I went all out with 3 chimes/repaaters and 5 cameras in total and think I spent around $1200. ($AUS) I have received quotes triple that for the same product/outcome and feel this system has met all my needs. If I was a criminal I can see ways to circumnavigate around the security (ie cutting power and internet feed) but fir the normal feral that target your home on ICE I am pretty sure I will have a good 1080 picture of who I need to hunt down and pay my respects to. Cheers.

Cannot hear visitors because of traffic noise and slow to connect

The only thing this is useful for is to let me know someone tried to ring the doorbell. Havent been able to talk to a single person because of the traffic noise.

No Battery life

Whilst as stated it clearly depends on multiple factors like temperature, detection settings etc, the battery life is grossly overstated. For a device that is now approximately 1 year old, we only get a month or less between recharge, no longer use the live view and have reduced our detection settings to the least possible that we would be comfortable with. I was going to explore the hardwired options and it appears they are just as problematic. I read the other reviews and see the issues with liveview delays, widespread battery life issues and hardwiring problems and it just confirms that if I hadn't drilled into a brand new house & bought an additional chime too, the Ring would already be in the bin.

My doorbell says "Your videos are ot being saved" so it will not let me view anything. Do I have to pay for a subscription?

Thanks for all the reviews, they definitely put me off buying one,

We purchased Ring video doorbell, for our small business where we also happen to reside. I'm not so worried about the video aspect, as I have cameras already installed. Our issue is we have 2 people , with 2 phones and 2 wi fi networks. q1) Can 2 people use the 1 doorbell 2) If the 1st person creates an account , should they send an invite to the 2nd user , or can the 2nd user still open their own account? 3) Can 1st user be on a different wifi network than 2nd user, or should we both use the same network? we have 2 networks , Home & office , as we use wireless router from the office to use at the house . I hope that makes sense. I tried sending an email request to user 2 but it asked me to set up and add a device again and again, we must be doing something wrong
You need to individually install the Ring App and scan the QR code at the back of the Ring Doorbell onto each phone you want to use to interact with the doorbell. The Wifi networks you are using has nothing to do with it. You could (in theory) install the Ring App on your phone/s, scan the QR code from the doorbell, then use that phone/s to answer the doorbell from anywhere in the world, so long as that phone/s is/are connected to the Internet. This presumes of course that the Ring Doorbell is connected to a Wifi network that is connected to the Internet as well. I say in theory because in practice the Ring Door Bell system is not very good in my experience. You could try calling their help desk to see if they can provide assistance.Around_here, thank you for your reply, yes have done all you have suggested , before I posted the question. I was the first one to create an account and downloaded the app to my phone #1 and it worked , then my husband did the same on his phone #2, and it worked , however , my phone didn’t , I scanned the QR code for the 2nd time and it worked , but then my husbands phone didn’t , so on and so forth. I will try Ring support. Thanks again.

Video DoorBell