Ryobi 18V One+ Pole Pruner OPP1820

Ryobi 18V One+ Pole Pruner OPP1820

Oil leaks

The saw has only been used for several minutes and it leaking the bar and chain oil down the pole. Very annoying. Back to Bunnings. We are in the country with our closest store an hour away.

Purchased in March 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $119.00.

Dear Ryobi, useful piece of equipment and works. However, user manual is a joke, a cartoon with no words? Disappointed

Dear Ryobi, useful piece of equipment and works. However, user manual is a joke. l would be embarrassed to produce something like this, a cartoon with no words? Very Disappointed

Purchased in February 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $198.00.

Saw OK, Ryobi Fail

Saw has been good,Available up until recently. Critical parts no longer available for a relatively new item. I now have the Ryobi $200 paperweight. Not very pleased and will think twice before buying Ryobi again.

Purchased in January 2018.

Great idea but build quality seems average

I purchased this a few months ago because the price was good, i've had good success with other Ryobi ONe+ tools, and already had the batteries. This Pole saw is a great idea and so far has worked fine for me, however the chain oil seems to leak out all over the place and runs down the pole, handle, motor, etc. It also doesn't seem to be oiling the chain from what i can see which will lead to premature chain failure down the track too. I think this has some serious design flaws that need to be rectified. As this has the 6yr Ryobi warranty i have a bad feeling i may be needed it sooner than later. But time will tell!

Purchased in August 2018 at Bunnings Warehouse for $199.00.

No problems despite what I'd read here.

After reading a few very negative reviews, I was prepared to take my new purchase back (unopened) for a refund. I decided to persevere. I found the manual required some interpretation, and after staring at the manual and the saw for a day or two, I found out how one can adjust the chain tension via the smaller of the two hex keys. This step is very poorly noted and explained in the IKEA-like manual. (I wonder in hindsight whether some problems associated with its use are to do with poor chain adjustment?) I then adjusted the chain tension to the recommended values before I started. I filled the oil tank with trepidation and waited for it all to spontaneously empty itself, which it did not. I then cut down two dead small trees/shrubs up to 4 metres high, working mostly without the lengthening third section of the pole. It worked very well and chewed through branches up to its recommended diameters. I looked at the chain tension halfway through the job and adjusted the tension once. At the end of the task, I'd used about 20% of the oil in the tank without any obvious leaks down the length of the saw. Did a basic cleanout of sawdust on the whole chain at the end of the job as well. Very happy with my purchase. I just wonder which generic chain I can use to replace the first chain when it finally gives up.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
I’ve since found out that one of the standard generic chains can be used as a replacement. Bunnings sells them so don’t need to go through Ryobi for a new chain.

Poor quality

Oil leaked from seemingly everywhere upon first filling it. This was brand new. What a mess. I still soldiered on and tried getting the pruner to even spin and it was dead with the battery fully charged.

Unfortunately my wife threw out the receipt, so I will see if I can fix this myself, but the lack of any life doesn't give me hope. Thanks for other comments about how to fix the hose. Hopefully the oil leaking everywhere hasn't ruined it.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Top Heavy

Bought one today, but it's very top heavy, the trigger is at one end and the weight at the other, no matter how you adjust the harness it's just impossible to use at it's full length...returned.
Staff member at Bunnings told me they are hard to use.
If they had the trigger half way down it would have made a difference.
The shorter one which I have is great.

Date PurchasedFeb 2019

Disappointed in Ryobi cordless product range - failing just after warranty expiration

I've bought around 10 or more Ryobi cordless products - cordless drills, reciprocating saw, impact driver etc. Plus the pole saw which I bought in the past 2.5/3 years.

However, today I was lopping some branches back and the saw stopped. I believed the 5amp battery needed recharging and came back later to continue lopping some branches. Nothing! Nadda! The saw was totally dead! I reattached the poles, removed and tried a different battery but still nothing! This saw is totally useless now. It hasn't had that much work either and the hours on it are minimal. But now it's out of warranty, there is nothing I can do but only to warn other would be buyers.

Very disappointed, but what is more disappointing is the fact I loved the Ryobi codress range. I use to boast to friends and family, not now though. I will be warning them in earnest.

Additionally, I also had a the other 5 amp battery die on me a couple of weeks ago as well but this is also outside the warranty claim (these are not cheap $199 for twin pack). I'm beginning to see a trend here. Product failures after 3 - 4 years then the expectations of more purchases.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Pole saw seems seized

For some reason my Ryobi battery operated saw just stopped and seems to be seized. It has operated perfectly since I bought it and I am very happy with it. When I push the levers to operate it nothing happens and the chain cog won’t turn. Anyone else had this or overcome it some how?

Date PurchasedJun 2017

This Faulty Product Remains on Sale

Purchased this product a few days ago. On first use it had oil running down the pole. A quick search has revealed this is a common occurrence.
I spoke to Ryobi's technical support today and drew their attention to these reviews. They claimed they had no knowledge of the problem. I was advised to pull it apart and see if I could locate the problem.
My request to have them look into the matter and call me back was rejected. I was told if I wasn't prepared to pull it apart I should return it.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Oil leaks the second time around

Purchased this a month ago and within half an hour of usage had the chain oil running down the pole onto my hands. Took it back to Bunnings and they said that have never had an issue with this unit and replaced it. The second unit has the exact same problem, back to Bunnings we go...

Date PurchasedSep 2018

OK for the money if you can fix it!

Having been frustrated with a "cheap" petrol Chinese pole cutter which was heavy, often difficult to start and constantly shedding its chain due to bad design, I noticed The Ryobi 18V Pole Saw in the entrance of the local Bunnings.
Well this should solve some problems I thought. Electric, so no starting problems, no excessive noise and hot parts and no fumes. The perfect Greenie, neighbour friendly tool!
Well out of the box....simple to assemble, charge the battery, put the oil in and outside to conquer the undergrowth....well prune a few trees really.
Hmm whats this slippery oily stuff running down the handle? Look in the oil tank....empty! Well where is it made.....(did I need to ask?)!
The long and short of it all....take it back? What a hassle, probably get the next one with the same problem.
OK can't be too much wrong with it....maybe an oil tube come loose. With some help from good old You Tube I dismantled it (remove Ryobi lable to find the last screw), to find a 90 degree rubber tube from the oil tank twisted like a stick of liquorice with a tear at the inner 90 degree angle. Not having any suitable replacement tubing I degreased and untwisted the tube put some super glue on the tear, reassembled..... and presto now as good as gold for the last few weeks. 15/40 motor oil works a treat.
The design could be better, it's too top heavy and puts a lot of strain on your shoulders. The harness strap is useless because if you let it take the weight on your shoulders then you can't reach the on/off trigger!
But for the $200 I paid for it with a 2 amp/h battery & charger, I'm not complaining (my shoulder is!)
Recommended, with reservations, at this price point.

Potential is great

I found the oil ran out of it all down the handle it did not appear to get on the chain. There was a piece of sponge in the oil compartment should that have stayed or be removed. It did work ok . I was concerned about the oil on the battery contacts.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Great. However it’s got a little flaw.

Brought this little beauty a while back. It worked well initially. But the guide bar is held in place by one screw. And noted this would come loose about twice during use. We had multiple crepe myrtles that needed their yearly prune and I would spend lots of time putting the chain back on. In the end I had tightened that screw more than it could handle and it began to burr. It’s a simple thing to replace. But it’s going to fail so be ready for that.

All in all if you have the Ryobi batteries already and enjoy the product like I do this won’t be a deal breaker. Ryobi has parts to replace these items. I just need to have time to get one myself. After I have moved to a new home my poor pruner has just sat no more crepe myrtles to cut yearly.

Breakdown
Has pole sections that screw apart to make the reach longer or shorter. Depending on the branch you need to get to.
Operates well (while chains tension is ok)
Regular stops for checking chain is advisable.
Nice feel.
Would easily buy this again even if I knew about the screw.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

a returner

Purchased at bunnings. Tried it out and couldnt tighten,the ,ost important part of it, it kept slipping, so couldnt do the job it was meant to do. Too dangerouse to much about with a product thats being used on a ladder up a tree! Returned it,staff who thought he was a very important person, didnt like the fact we returned it. Bought a much better quality one elsewhere, works like a dream.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Where have you been all my life.

Awesome. Purchased this little beauty a couple of weeks ago and gave it a flogging on the weekend. Mum has a large Jacaranda tree in her back yard. This saw gave me access from the ground and ripped the thing to pieces easy as. Green branches up to 150mm were a breeze and as I had a hedge trimmer with the same extension poles, I added another that gave me access to around 4m in height. 3 ute loads in minutes. The thing is still brand new so the longevity of the product is unknown at this point.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Does the job but not as easily as I’d hoped.

The pruner has a central extension that you can remove, I can only use it in the shorter version as it’s pretty top heavy, the male in the house has less difficulty but agrees that it’s not well balanced. I can see so many ways to better design this tool, it’s a shame Ryobi missed the opportunity. Regardless, it does the job well and runs fairly quietly.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Surprisingly Capable.

I purchased the Ryobi Pole Pruner to tame all that was difficult to reach in a Queensland yard. The product is a surprisingly capable little pruner. As others have mentioned, it does have a drinking problem. Do keep bar oil by side. And like all chainsaw the chain does require regular sharpening to perform well. Very happy with the purchase, ideal for domestic pruning purposes.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Oil leak problem solved.

The issue with oil leaking out of the saw and running down the handle is caused by a poorly designed oil tube from the tank to the oil pump. It happened to me within an hour of buying this pruner. I pulled it apart (brand spanking new), washed all the oil of all the parts and replaced the split molded tubing with a piece of plastic tube and all is well. There`s no point taking this product back to the shop other than for a refund. I suspect there`s either faulty batch, or they will all do it at some point. The tube I`m talking about has been molded into a 90 degree elbow shape and splits along the seams. It needs to be a proper seamless tube to be 100% reliable. having said that, this sort of nonsense goes on with the big brands as well and sometimes a simple tube can`t be used due to the design of the product - just they way the manufacturer intended....you pay $100 for a 50 cent part.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Easy to use and manage , some disappointments.

Uses a lot of chain bar oil, this runs down the handle and dips out the front of the chain,,,, The chain requires tighten/adjusting often... only had the pruner 3 weeks appears to need a new chain I will check with my local Bunnings store next week,.. Easy to use and manage handles the pruning I need to do well, battery has good life .Lady gardener..

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Can I use thread cutting oil as a lubricant in the pole saw?
my guess is no. the chain lube has a sticky factor designed to adhere to the chain and bat. Cutting oil is designed as a high flow coolant. I wouln't risk it.

What is the replacement chain size for a Ryobi one+ 18v pole saw please.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHAINSAW-CHAIN-OREGON-8-FITS-RYOBI-RPP750S-POLE-PUNNER-33-3-8-LP-050/172405222165?hash=item282426eb15:g:V-AAAOSwbxBbM0KQThank you.

Just purchased and I'm not sure how I should add chain oil .. the filler hole has steel wool in it making refill slow. Should I remove the steel wool and replace when filling is complete please?
I am not an expert but as I understand it, just fill the reservoir with the steel wool in situ. I think the steel wool acts as a baffle to prevent the oil sloshing around when the pole saw is in use. Pulling the steel wool in and out will damage the steel wool and produce small steel particles that may may their way thru the lubrication system and damage the saw bar and chain.i have googled these saws and the earlier ones are prone to leak oil everywhere. Keep your receipt and return the saw if you end up with oil down the pole handle etc.Thanks Greg I'll take your advise.Gazza, l totally agree with Greg. I have one and you need to be very careful, on how much oil you put in. Too much and it will go everywhere and not enough, the chain will jam and its an extremely fine line on getting it right. The sponge needs to stay in, it’s a poor excuse for not letting the oil leak. I actually got a higher density oil, which help with elevating the leak, but it still happens. My best suggestion is that don’t have it above your head for more than 5mins st a time and then lay it down with the handle higher than the head. No matter what response you get from Ryobi, there is a design fault with the oil storage. Cheers Dave

18V One+ Pole Pruner OPP1820