6160, 6180
See the Best Sewing Machines & Overlockers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Singer? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

2.3
  • Safety
  • Thick Fabric Performance

Great value for the price

wonderful to have needle threader, have used lots and the choice of stitches are great, seems to handle most fabrics, liked it so much i have just bought a heavy duty singer on sale at spotlight as they are great value for the price

Purchased in August 2018 at Spotlight for $300.00.

Worse machine I have ever owned

Does not self thread. Bobbin never works right now I can't even turn the needle knob.
Only 2 months old. I have sewed many face masks and pillow covers I have also sewed kids costums

Purchased in December 2020 at Walmart online for $174.00.

Anne and John
Anne and JohnCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Singer Brilliance 6160

Worst machine l've ever used. Needles break with any thickness of fabrics. I do alot of hems and adjustment on garments, l expected a lot more from this machine. Don't buy.

Purchased in March 2018 at Spotlight for $300.00.

Ok For an Inexpensive Machine. Light is Terrible

Purchased for $399.00.

Sewing Experience Level Advanced

Anon
AnonSouth East Queensland, QLD

Never used a worse machine.

Had this machine for a few years now and I should have thrown it out way back then. Nothing but trouble with it. It will sew fine sometimes for an hour and then it will jam. Othertimes I can't even use it for constant jamming. It will sew nice and straight before suddenly throwing stitches out. Even though the tension should be perfect it just won't sew any fabric well for me. Ive been sewing for 25+ years and never had such trouble.

Sewing Experience Level Intermediate
Sal55
Sal55Hunter Region, NSW

Faulty when unpacked

Opened the box. Took out machine. Went to load cotton onto horizontal bar. Bar not there. Looked everywhere for it and found it in the bottom of the box. No way to attach it. Phoned Spotlight. They picked it up and I requested a refund as I did for the Overlocker . Customer Service sent me all the forms and after Aus Post picked up both sewing machine and overlocker I received an email to say items will not be accepted. Both items now in dispute. Not happy and will take the matter further. Raise a dispute with financial institution. Fair Trading and NCAT.

Purchased in February 2019 at Spotlight Online Store for $299.00.

Sewing Experience Level Advanced
Mel
MelCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Terrible

Very clunky, stitches uneven half way through sewing, more recently the bobbin just won't work properly. absolute waste of money. So after 4 years it is now on the junk pile, its last trial over the last 6 weeks trying to do even the most basics of sewing just wasn't happening.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

The top-rated kitchen appliances for 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-top-rated-kitchen-appliances-for-2020
Fridge and Dishwasher Awards for 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
fridge-and-dishwasher-awards-for-2020

Avleen M.
Avleen M.23 July 2021
Redhead
RedheadSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good beginner to intermediate machine

I've had my 6160 for about 3 years now. Started with it as an absolute novice and now and intermediate.
It's been great for me. I've used a couple of the decorative stitches to great effect and generally it's performed well. I have it regularly serviced as I use it a lot. Yes you do need yo use quality thread with it but this is what's available in most haberdashers anyway.
Now I'm starting to outgrow it and am looking at a better machine but I I'd recommend to any friend who asked.

Date PurchasedJan 2014
Steph O
Steph OBrisbane

Great!

I've had my 6160 model for about two and a half years and have had almost no problems with it. It see frequent (and probably harsh) use as I make three complete costumes with it per year. Super easy to use and adjust. It does jam if you use cheap threads, but all other problems are easily solved by checking the user manual or DVD that comes with it. I'm taking it in for its first service next month as the zigzag stitch has started to do funny things, but I love the machine.

Judith
JudithMelbourne

just rubbish

I purchased the 6160 model ...and what utter rubbish ..I have been a machinist in a clothing company for 32 years ....so I purchased what I thought was a great make being a Singer ...Made In Vietnam should have been a warning ...it was just rubbish and the faults too numerous to mention ...

Viv
Vivmelbourne

what a lemon

brought one from an online deal. Worst machine. When I first got it I tested out all the different stitches, within 10mins of using it the thread jammed so bad I managed to break the needle. The thread kept jamming in the bobbin area and caused the thread to snap regularly. So frustrating when I needed it for simple tasks ie. hemming. Luckily the online company was happy to refund my money.
light weight, many stitches
the machine

Dandw
DandwVictoria

Awesome sewing machine, great value.

Easy to use. Plenty of stitches to choose from. Great value for money at less than $200 from Costco. I've been using it for about 3 months now with no jamming or thread breakages. The instructional DVD was very simple but informative although the manual was a little too brief for my liking.
Automatic needle threader is a boon.
If I have to make a negative remark it would be that the machine is a bit 'plasticky'