Stihl FSA 65 / FSA 85

• Safety
  • Battery Life
kim maree

kim mareeSouth-East, TAS

only used once but happy so far

Purchased in November 2020.

Battery Life
Product is usedWeekly
Grass TypeThick, heavy grass or weeds
Max

MaxNortheast, VIC

Not good enough for the money.

The battery is too hard to get out and the auto line feed does not work. It is crap. Not worth the money. I cannot believe that it is a Stihl product. I have had other Stihl products and have been very happy with them but when you read the manul, you realise that it must be made in China because the instructions are crap.

Purchased in September 2020.

Battery Life
Product is usedDaily

PhillHunter Region, NSW

Great product to use BUT poor quality.

I love using this product but my biggest issue is.... The second week I used this was on wet grass and now no longer works. The motor is completely vulnerable to water. Forget being waterproof it's not even water resistant...

Purchased in February 2020 at Stihl Dealer for A$1,000.00.

UnhappyNew South Wales

Whipper snipper failure

I am sadly disappointed by Stihl the company when my whipper sniper broke down . It was a very useful efficient tool . BUT there was no advice to say to never wet the head as the electric motor is there and not sealed . Water in the motor shorted out the control unit at the switch which was quoted at two thirds the cost of replacing the machine. Causing huge environmental waste and massive cost to myself . I tried to speak to Stihl who said they would get back to me but never did .

Unhappy

I have exactly the same comments to make . I thought this was my review .

Randall

RandallSouth East Queensland, QLD

Good, but a few drawbacks

Purchased in March 2017.

Grass TypeShort grass

Lightweight, powerful, long battery life

This trimmer is lightweight for this over 50 woman and it has two lines of trimming power that really take care of the weeds. The battery lasts a long time but I have two batteries since I also use it for my Stihl lawnmower. It was difficult to get the battery released but since I pulled out the prongs at the back a little and used vaseline on the sides it has been much easier. I also had difficulty refilling the spool with trimmer line but now I clean out the spool and make sure that I insert the twine until it is engaged in the spool. This is much better than dragging a heavy cord around my yard or carrying a heavy gas powered trimmer.

Date PurchasedJun 2015

How to do complicated when you can do simple

How to do complicated when you can do simple... The system for putting cutting line is RIDICULOUSLY STUPID AND COMPLICATED! GOOD LUCK! I am a landscape pro of 20 plus years and have never seen such a complicated spooling system to replace the cutting line. I PROMISE YOU WILL WANT TO RIP YOUR HAIR OUT!

Date PurchasedJun 2018

DaveMelbourne

Waste of money. Stihl offer poor customer service

Five weeks old, Used it twice to have a piece of long grass get caught between the motor and spool head. Ruined motor. Stihl refusing to fix under warranty or refund money. Will cost more than buying a new one to fix. Don't wate your time with stihl, Will have to take the to small claims (vcat) to get my money back.

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Dave

After complaining at Mitre 10 who gave us great service Stihl agreed to a refund and I got my money back

Beverly Henderson

Beverly Henderson

My best ever investment.

Date PurchasedAug 2015

Lindy

LindySouth Australia

Great BUT

Cuts even heavy duty weeds but not designed for little old ladies with small hands! I find the battery next to impossible to get out at times and the head I can't get off without using multigrips and sheer grit and determination. It also doesn't come with a strap but fortunately my son improvised one for me. Update 5/11/17 I have overcome the battery problem by pulling the spring things at the back of the battery compartment further out. I also put some vaseline on the rails to help it come out more easily. Happy now.

Date PurchasedOct 2015
Alan Dunn

Alan DunnMAITLAND

In a league of its own

Date PurchasedSep 2015
Elmo

ElmoShellharbour

Expensive but good

Lovely silent trimmer with heaps of power and very good battery life. I chose the smaller and cheaper AP-115 battery which has 50% charge left after I'm done trimming the back and front yards of our townhouse. I don't see myself going back to the stinky noisy petrol trimmers ever.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016
tmark tas

tmark tasNorth-West & West coast, TAS

It works

I live on a small acreage and use it to cut back the small patches of weeds that pop up around the place, stick it in ATV in morning and can knock them back during the day. Quick and easy and no herbicides. It's just works, and is not too loud. It holds it's charge well over 6 months in the winter.

Jason L

Jason L

Pick of the bunch in Stihls 36v range.

big-m

big-mHunter Region, NSW

Stihl FSA85 Line trimmer

Cordless convenience. As powerful as a petrol trimmer. The turbo charger recharges in around 20 minutes. Usual 'bump and feed' line delivery system is easy to use, and uses any two millimeter line. Chews through heavy grass and weeds. My lawn is less than 200 square meters, but has plenty of edges. Battery still has plenty of charge to run the blower after use.
High quality, well balanced, shares battery with 36volt family of products.
Expensive, but high quality. May be too heavy for some users.

MP82

MP82WA, 6230

This thing is powerful

Jim W.

Jim W.asked

FSA 65

How to dismantle the cutting head to service

Phill

Just undo the centre nut. The entire head just pulls off. You may need a pair of Multi grip pliers. It's the large round bit about the size of a 50 cent piece in the middle.

Janet

Janetasked

FSA 65 / FSA 85

Seems that it is an issue with wet grass so that’s a worry..just bought the blower so was tempted to get whipper snipper

Unhappy

The whipper snipper works very well but blow it clean with air and a dry cloth . A squirt of Stihl’s cleaner or the Briggs and Stratton lanolin lubricant should keep the head from becoming damaged with rusted bearings or electrical issues. Stihl have not given me any response re my problems but I have changed dealers and they certainly are more diligent. John’s mowers in Ballina by the way .

Phill

Love the whipper sniper, my biggest problem was the dealer's inability to give a s#+& about my concerns. Best friends when selling it to me but treated me like a moron when my concerns were raised.

Compare all 2 Stihl FSA 65 / FSA 85
CategoryBattery Whipper SnippersBattery Whipper Snippers
Price (RRP) A$265.00A$319.00
Handle TypeLoop HandleLoop Handle
Shaft TypeStraightStraight
Power SourceBattery (Built-In)Battery (Built-In)
Engine TypeLithium-Ion BatteryLithium-Ion Battery
Cutting Head TypeLineLine
FeaturesVibration DampingVibration Damping
Cutting Width300 mm350 mm
Weight2.7 kg2.8 kg
Noise Level 91 dB94 dB
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateMar 2012Mar 2012