Sunbeam Cafe Series TA9200

Element died 20 days after warranty expired!

The element died this morning, 20 days past the end of the 5 year warranty period! While reliable, I agree that it is slow. I don’t think it is work my time heading to a service centre and trying to get Sunbeam to replace the element under warranty. I’ll probably just buy another brand.

Purchased in April 2014 at David Jones Retail Stores for $110.00.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi Jen, So sorry to hear of you experience with your TA9200. We would love to assist you further. Please call us on 1300 881 861 . Please have your purchase receipt handy.

Broke after just 2 years

Very disappointed, had the cafe toaster for just over 2 years and the lever broke- very poor and flimsy design, the plastic part that houses the lever is just not robust enough!

Purchased in December 2016.

Hi, please give our team a call to see if they can assist you on 1300 881 861What a waste of my time! Called Sunbeam number just to be told there is nothing they can do! Thanks for nothing!

Good Toaster Turned Bad

Firstly, this has been a great toaster - hence the 5 stars. Always reliable, toasted bread evenly, capable of very thick slices and always behaved itself. That is, until today. Husband made himself a quick snack. Two slices of bread were placed in the toaster, the handle clicked down, toast popped up... job done. He did what he had to with his snack and walked away, not giving the toaster a second thought. It was still plugged in, power point was left switched on, but handle was up in the "toaster not cooking" position. Ten minutes later I walked into the room, and could smell a strong burning. We soon realized it was coming from the toaster. It was almost red hot by this time. I switched off at the power point and unplugged it. It was another good ten minutes until I could even touch it. After some time we checked all was clear inside, plugged it back in and attempted again by clicking down and waiting for it to pop up again. Sure it clicked down ok and cooked, but once again when it popped up after a minute the elements stayed on. The elements do not glow red, so the only way to determine they are on is to hold your hand over. Alas I think the lovely girl has died. I just thought I'd warn others about this potentially disastrous problem.

Purchased in January 2010.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi DuckOnTheDam, Sorry to hear of your TA9200 issue. I will be sure to pass this feedback of your experience onto our product and technical teams.

faulty lever

this toaster became unusable after the guarantee ended. The lever to lower the bread was loose, so that it could not be pushed down. I disassembled the toaster and found that this metal lever goes in to a small plastic sleeve, which had broken. I think the plastic sleeve seemed too flimsy to support the pressure of multiple uses of the lever.
[uncertain about exact purchase date]

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Smell of burning plastic emitted when first used - thinking to return?

I purchased the Cafe Series - second one - first one lasted about ten years. I set it up and made sure all packaging was removed. I engaged the lever to test it out and there was a really strong smell of burning plastic. I tried again about an hour later and same thing. Not keen on using it now. Have no idea what it could be and nothing in instruction manual. ??

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi, this is what is known as the initial element outgasing and is normal in a new toaster. If you set your toaster to 6 and run it through this should dissipate soon after. If after a few uses it does not subside please return to store or call our Team on 1300 881 861 and we will be happy to assist...

Slow

Was very happy with this toaster for several years.
Toasted perfectly on setting 3 but over time I've had to gradually increase the time up to the point it now has to be on the highest setting and has to be pushed down for some additional time.
The elements don't even glow red. Have checked supply voltage and it is normal 220 to 245.
Has anyone else experienced this.

Date PurchasedAug 2008

Lever and repair issues

My toaster is out of warranty and yes it is quite slow, but it has given us many years of satisfactory performance and has never burnt the toast. My issue is the lever now refuses to stay down and after I went to a Sunbeam outlet they gave me a list of authorised repairers. They told me to even look at it would be $50 when I thought it might be a simple lever connection issue. I hate the whole idea of throwaway products for what appears to probably be a minor problem in an otherwise good product.

Date PurchasedMay 2013

The China syndrome

I purchased with mum the series; toaster, jug, and mix master all made in china.
The toaster only lasted 6 months but was replaced and has been going ever since. (4years).
The jug gave up after 2years so I purchased a French made kettle problem solved.
The mixer is good so far however its not used a real lot but its properly the best mixer around.
I'd like to mention that my mums (she had 10 kids) Kenwood mixer 1972 made in australia, finally gave up and was replaced with the sunbeam.
The toaster was the same she actually had a toastermatic 60's still working! made in australia.
I'm on the warpath now looking for quality will I find it boys and girls? its another Q regards lee

This toaster is not "toast"

I bought my TA9200 (type 621) way back in early 2006. I chose this (2 slot) model after purchasing innumerable toasters over many years, from bargain store 'cheapies' to premium department store products, only to find they all would work fine for a couple of months before either toasting performance (ie usually the lightness/darkness control) deteriorated or they failed completely. The 'Cafe', although expensive, big and bulky, is still going strong after all those years - pretty impressive for an appliance that is not generally known for longevity. It has always been used most every day for a range of toasting applications from English muffins, crumpets and breads of many different types and thicknesses. So, you'd think I'd give it 5 stars! Well, no actually. Although it is robust and reliable, it is not without its issues. The (painted on) numbers on the darkness control knob have worn off over the years, leading to guesswork, and the lever now needs a strong push to lock it down. For several years, for regular toast, the control has to be set to the darker end or the toast under cooks. Large slices of 'rustic' homestyle loaves (usually round) are either too long for or catch in, the slots. However, given its age and considerable use, I would certainly recommend this toaster. Given my experience, I'm surprised at the number of people who have had such poor experiences with the Sunbeam "Cafe Series" toasters. I can honestly say that this toaster is the best one I've ever owned.

Hi Not A Domestic Goddess, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. SunbeamIssues I have experienced with my Sunbeam "Cafe" are, I believe, age related. My toaster is still going strong after 10 years of constant use - surely it can be forgiven for a few age related issues. Nothing stays stays and performs like new forever. Most toasters don't last anywhere near 10 years; maybe mine is a rarity, but it's a little ripper!Dear Not A Domestic Goddess, Thank you for your review. Kind Regards Sunbeam

The Damn Lever wont stay down.

I purchased a Model TA9200 Cafe series Toaster about a year and a half ago, it lasted 9 months before the lever would not stay down to cook the toast. We went to the Sunbeam repair agent who swapped it out for another "like new" one and the same thing happened three months later. We have always trusted the Sunbeam brand and its not like it was a $15 toaster, it was around $200. I would pay $300 for one that was made in Australia and made right. Chinese products should be priced as the rubbish most of them are.

Fantastic Toaster

We have had this toaster for about 10 years and are yet to find a fault with it. It toasts evenly every time. Is fantastic for toasting crumpets, muffins and fruit loaf whether it be thickly or thinly sliced.

Looks reliable but isn't.

I have two of these. A first where in less than a few years, the elements failed and now a second where also in less than a few years, the elements are still working but the thermostat or mechanism whether physical or electronic, no longer keeps the the transport mechanism down.
While I am not fussy and they seem to work well to me, they just don't last.
Given repair is obviously not viable It seems a real shame that the toaster is ready to be discarded well before its use by date and well well well before the use by date of its all metal construction.

And this is a real pity given we all being made to feel guilty about the rate at which we are consuming the earth's resources. I am SO disappointed than buying a second it also has failed. More fool me!

Looks good & worked great for approx 5years

We were happy with this toaster that lasted approximately 5-6years.. Receipt is in storage so can't exactly remember how old it is.. The left hand side of our 4toaster will no longer stay down. Now it's the annoying task of finding a replacement.. Stay with sunbeam or not, I'm concerned the newer models aren't the same quality.

Misted checked the back of the toaster & noted the model number is actually TA9400

Great toaster

I like how you can have different levels on for the four slices. I don't like my toast done that well, so I put it in on a low heat and my husbands two slices on a high heat. Toast can take any of the bread thickness found in supermarkets.

Also 7 years old and still going strong.