Sunbeam Cafe Series

Sunbeam Cafe Series

TA9200, TA9205K, TA9205R, TA9400, TA9405K and 7 more

Best Toaster ever. Even after 10 years

I'm fussy about how my toast is toasted and rate this as the best ever. Evenly toasted bead, crumpets and also handles the impossible GF breads well. Its survived four hungry teenagers, and was purchased in approx 2009 and is still going strong. Now researching to downsize to a 2 slice toaster as the teenagers have grown and moved out, you guessed it, our eldest wants the toaster once we downsize...... (PS: I'm an electrical tradie so also fussy about build quality, its passed every test)

Purchased in January 2009.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi DaveG, Thanks for the fantastic review! Hold onto it. Kind Regards SunbeamThanks but we will downsize to the Cafe Series 2 slice since I’m almost the one who uses it now. L

Lasted almost 10 years!

Browned toast, crumpets, muffins and bread rolls perfectly every time.
Bought from David Jones for about $100+
We have several Sunbeam kitchen appliances and they never let us down. Highly recommend Sunbeam.

Purchased in December 2010 at David Jones.

Hi Tab10, Thanks for the great review! Kind Regards Sunbeam

Element died 20 days after warranty expired!

The element died this morning, 20 days past the end of the 5 year warranty period! While reliable, I agree that it is slow. I don’t think it is work my time heading to a service centre and trying to get Sunbeam to replace the element under warranty. I’ll probably just buy another brand.

Purchased in April 2014 at David Jones Retail Stores for $110.00.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi Jen, So sorry to hear of you experience with your TA9200. We would love to assist you further. Please call us on 1300 881 861 . Please have your purchase receipt handy.

Broke after just 2 years

Very disappointed, had the cafe toaster for just over 2 years and the lever broke- very poor and flimsy design, the plastic part that houses the lever is just not robust enough!

Purchased in December 2016.

Hi, please give our team a call to see if they can assist you on 1300 881 861What a waste of my time! Called Sunbeam number just to be told there is nothing they can do! Thanks for nothing!

Good Toaster Turned Bad

Firstly, this has been a great toaster - hence the 5 stars. Always reliable, toasted bread evenly, capable of very thick slices and always behaved itself. That is, until today. Husband made himself a quick snack. Two slices of bread were placed in the toaster, the handle clicked down, toast popped up... job done. He did what he had to with his snack and walked away, not giving the toaster a second thought. It was still plugged in, power point was left switched on, but handle was up in the "toaster not cooking" position. Ten minutes later I walked into the room, and could smell a strong burning. We soon realized it was coming from the toaster. It was almost red hot by this time. I switched off at the power point and unplugged it. It was another good ten minutes until I could even touch it. After some time we checked all was clear inside, plugged it back in and attempted again by clicking down and waiting for it to pop up again. Sure it clicked down ok and cooked, but once again when it popped up after a minute the elements stayed on. The elements do not glow red, so the only way to determine they are on is to hold your hand over. Alas I think the lovely girl has died. I just thought I'd warn others about this potentially disastrous problem.

Purchased in January 2010.

Even Toasting Yes
Hi DuckOnTheDam, Sorry to hear of your TA9200 issue. I will be sure to pass this feedback of your experience onto our product and technical teams.

Disappointed - Sunbeam is not what it used to be!

Sunbeam have been really outstanding on my matter below. They couldn't have been more helpful. Thank you, Sunbeam, you are ace in my books. They listened and replaced.... can't ask for more and were really quick.

"Our first Sunbeam Cafe Series 4 slice toaster was purchased back in Nov 2005 and was good for just over 10 years although the lift mechanism did become difficult towards the end and it could be temperamental on the settings, varying toast quality at times. However when it did finally turned its toes up and we looked around at the very unimpressive competition, we decided to go with Sunbeam Cafe Series, 4 slice toaster again. That was just under 3 years ago and today both lift levers have just failed. Not too impressed given the high price tag which should have said better quality. Your quality has gone down hill. My father sold Sunbeam appliances for many years and always raved about how good they were. We always only ever purchased Sunbeam."

Date PurchasedDec 2015
Thanks for resubmitting your review Rel!

faulty lever

this toaster became unusable after the guarantee ended. The lever to lower the bread was loose, so that it could not be pushed down. I disassembled the toaster and found that this metal lever goes in to a small plastic sleeve, which had broken. I think the plastic sleeve seemed too flimsy to support the pressure of multiple uses of the lever.
[uncertain about exact purchase date]

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Very disappointed

Bought this thing because it appeared to be well made and looked good - after all - it's a toaster; what can go wrong.

Added benefit (still advertised) is that the heating elements are replaceable. Sounds good.

Worked fine for about 6 months and then it started to take longer and longer to toast bread. In the end it was dialed up to 6 and still would not toast properly.

Went to replace the heating elements. Can't buy them. Only sold to authorised repairers and only if the repairer installs them. Cost more than a new one.

What a waste of money.

Date PurchasedFeb 2013

Smell of burning plastic emitted when first used - thinking to return?

I purchased the Cafe Series - second one - first one lasted about ten years. I set it up and made sure all packaging was removed. I engaged the lever to test it out and there was a really strong smell of burning plastic. I tried again about an hour later and same thing. Not keen on using it now. Have no idea what it could be and nothing in instruction manual. ??

Date PurchasedSep 2018
Hi, this is what is known as the initial element outgasing and is normal in a new toaster. If you set your toaster to 6 and run it through this should dissipate soon after. If after a few uses it does not subside please return to store or call our Team on 1300 881 861 and we will be happy to assist...

expensive for such a slow toaster

i've had duralits but thought i'd give this make a go. solidly made but the slowest toaster i've ever come across.for the price you would think sumbeam would have the best elements. obviously not so.going back to my duralits.they are miles in front of sunbeam.really sorry i wasted my money thinking i was getting something similar to a duralit.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018
Hi Don. Sorry to hear of the issues you are having with your toaster. Please contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 and we would be happy to have your toaster tested by our quality team.since writing above review i have had more to evaluate .i would add that whilst slow it does brown toast evenly. i like the way more heat can be applied to the holey side of crumpets to get it as brown or cooked as you wish. so slowness is my only gripe and i have got used to the slowness.all in all i'm happy with it.

Electrically dangerous toaster

This is a good toaster... but a dangerous toaster.
The first time I loaded a slice of toast, the elevator jumped off its rails toward the bottom of its stroke causing the elevator to lean over and touch the heater element.
Zap!!
I believe that poor packaging can lead to the knobs at the front buckling the elevator.

Date PurchasedJun 2018
Hi Jeff, sorry to hear of the bad experience you have had with your TA9400. I don't quite understand your description of the fault. Could you send us a private message to discuss further or contact our customer care team for further assistance!Sunbeam were very good about this issue and have offered a replacement free. Thank you Sunbeam. I think my unit was just one that was assembled incorrectly at the factory and missed QA. (The guide shaft is not in its hole.) A clever person could fully disassemble it and make a good repair.Enjoy your new toaster Jeff!!!

Best toaster so far

So far have owned a Breville BTA845 and a Dualit architect and we have found this toaster toasts more evenly and consistently. The only negatives is the lack of a lift and look feature and it is marginally slower than the others, this may be due to its ability to accommodate thick slices (therefore a normal toast slice sits further from the elements)

Date PurchasedOct 2017

good..... BUT SLOW

I purchaed this thinking it would be great, as the other sunbeam items I own are great ( the coffee maker rocks ). This toaster cooks evenly and well. But, it is so slow, Id like it if it were twice as fast as what it is. I wouldnt buy this toaster again.

Date PurchasedJul 2016

Waiting for my dualit toaster to die to buy cafe series toaster

I purchased the cafe series four slot toaster for my daughter around ten years ago and love making toast at her house...best ever, so hot and evenly toasted, and fluffy inside. Don't understand the comments that complain about the time it takes to toast..sometimes a little more time will result in a much better outcome. A family of six and used every day, often more than just breakfast time. Hasn't missed a beat. This will be my next toaster.

Date PurchasedJun 2007

Slow

Was very happy with this toaster for several years.
Toasted perfectly on setting 3 but over time I've had to gradually increase the time up to the point it now has to be on the highest setting and has to be pushed down for some additional time.
The elements don't even glow red. Have checked supply voltage and it is normal 220 to 245.
Has anyone else experienced this.

Date PurchasedAug 2008

Typical Sunbeam Rubbish

Brought two of these (one for the batch) both developed fault within a couple of years, toast won't stay down, don't appear to be any service manuals available so spoke to a authorised sunbeam service guy who said throw it away, not worth repairing. Brought two king size Sunbeam Electric blankets at the same time (thought Sunbeam was a quality brand) controllers died within 3 years. Service centre centre said buy new controllers but get the cheaper manual versions as the electronic versions (supplied with the blankets) were not designed correctly and fail regularly. Will never buy another Sunbeam product - ever.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Well made. Reliable. Very very slow.

We've had a Sunbeam Cafe Series toaster for 12 years. And I've been looking for an excuse to replace it for the whole time we've had it. It was an expensive purchase originally. The toaster is seemingly very well made, with very robust construction. It's been unfailingly reliable with no faults or failures in the time we've had it. It even looks good after all these years.
The only real problem is that it's not very good at making toast, which is kind of the whole point of a toaster. It's very very slow. Even with the selector dial set on maximum, it barely browns the bread. Trying to toast frozen bread will take you at least three goes. When making breakfast, I'll put the toast on before scrambling the eggs - toasting the bread takes longer.
My wife has now treated me to a Dualit. So much nicer...

Date PurchasedSep 2005

Lever and repair issues

My toaster is out of warranty and yes it is quite slow, but it has given us many years of satisfactory performance and has never burnt the toast. My issue is the lever now refuses to stay down and after I went to a Sunbeam outlet they gave me a list of authorised repairers. They told me to even look at it would be $50 when I thought it might be a simple lever connection issue. I hate the whole idea of throwaway products for what appears to probably be a minor problem in an otherwise good product.

Date PurchasedMay 2013

Slowest Toaster Ever

Couldnt agree more with all the other reviews. This is without doubt the slowest toaster I have ever experienced. I find it baffling how a company like Sunbeam, with so many years of experience of making electrical appliances cant make a toaster that is consistant and quick. Your irons are good - get the iron R&D team to make a toaster - and whoever has been in charge of development - fire them!!

It seems that the cheapest toasters (like you get at a motel) always work better than the most expensive and brand name models. I watched the elements in complete darkness and they dont glow at all. This was not a cheap toaster and we liked it because it made 4 slices at once. Absolute crap Sunbeam you must be able to do better.

Date PurchasedJun 2014
Hi 383gki, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Please don't hesitate to contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 and one of our friendly representatives will be more than happy to assist you. Kindest Regards Sunbeam

SLOW!!

Bought about 6 years ago because it was beautiful looking and the name made it sound almost professional. It has unfortunately been very reliable; I say unfortunately because I've been waiting for an excuse to chuck it out since the day I bought it. Who knew it could do so long to toast a piece of bread?! I felt conned having thought I had bought a quality item but it all about the looks and not the functionality.

Date PurchasedDec 2000
Hi Jojo, I do apologise for the issues you encountered with one of our Sunbeam products. Your feedback is much appreciated and will be passed onto the product team. Kindest Regards Jessica

How much to replace a element in these toasters? We have had our toaster for nearly 8 years with no problems but went to use it yesterday and as soon as I put the lever down it keeps flipping the safety switch so I m assuming one of the elements has gone. I am not sure if its worth putting a new element in or just buying a new toaster as I assume the cost of the element fitted wont be that cheap. The authorised repairer in my area is abit of a rip off and grumpy as well so I'm not real keen to take it there at all Has anyone got any idea of prices? Thanks
Hi, funny enough this happened to us just 2 weeks ago after we owned ours for couple of year stopped and tripped board too, what I did was disconnect from mains and then clean as best I could ( by turning upside down gently), getting a long narrow brush and in a sweeping motion near the elements and back of toaster cleaning it, this helped and it started working fine. If it doesn't then try selling it for parts on ebay / gumtree maybe and buy a new one,not worth repairing. Hope this helps, bye, Mona.Hi thanks for that Mona as it turned out when my husband came home from work he actually gave it a clean out and it works fine so didn't have to replace or buy a new one :)@gaylene56, that's good to know !

Sunbeam Cafe Series TA9405KSunbeam Cafe Series TA9205KSunbeam Cafe Series TA9200Sunbeam Cafe Series TA9400Sunbeam Cafe Series TA9205RSunbeam Cafe Series TA9405RSunbeam Cafe Series TA9200RSunbeam Cafe Series TA9400RSunbeam Cafe Series TA9205WSunbeam Cafe Series TA9205GSunbeam Cafe Series TA9405WSunbeam Cafe Series TA9405G
CategoryToastersToastersToastersToastersToastersToastersToastersToastersToastersToastersToastersToasters
Price (RRP) $219$149$149$199$149$219$149$149$219$219
Type4 Slice2 Slice2 Slice4 Slice2 Slice4 Slice2 Slice4 Slice2 Slice2 Slice4 Slice4 Slice
Release dateFeb 2007Feb 2007Feb 2007Feb 2007Feb 2007Feb 2007