Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle

Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle

KE9650 and KE9600

This is very substandard and potentially dangerous

I had two of these kettles replaced under warranty but was told the warranty doesn't restart when you receive the replacement. The third one has now failed. All had the same problem. The plastic hinge on the lid disintegrates and sharp pieces of plastic end up in you tea, which if swallowed could cause serious injury. Do not buy this kettle. It is very expensive but the quality is very inferior.

Purchased at Myer for $149.00.

Very Dissatisfied

Coating badly peeling off this kettle. Only 12 months old. Spoke to their customer service and was told “it’s just normal wear”wouldn’t do anything as it still boiled water.Looks so disgusting can’t be left out on bench anymore. Very poor quality and not impressed with the customer service Certainly wouldn’t recommend

Works well except has a flawed hinge / lid which jams and then breaks.

The kettle worked well for 2.5 years. Then the lid started to stick and finally the hinge broke. Upon close examination it seem the plastic deteriorated and was not heat resistant. Why is it not made from Stainless steel like the rest of the kettle? This is the big weakness in design and manufacture.

Hi Peter, So sorry to hear of this. We will be sure to pass this feedback onto our product manager. Kind Regards Sunbeam

love the modernstainless stel cordless style and the diffrent temperature setting .

Stainless steel cordless. Easy to clean. Modern look. Easy grip handle. Fast boiling.buttons are clearly displayed easy to read. Kettle displays in red what the current temperature is . It if fast boiling

Purchased in December 2017.

Hi Manuela, Thanks for the great review! Kind Regards Sunbeam

$120 for boiling water but Failed , just outside warranty..

Like others have said this has become unreliable, now randomly turning off and on, flashing “dry” warning and finally requiring a finger on the button until it boils. It’s regularly descaled and when it worked it was good, quiet and temperature accurate. We took an extended warranty as this was our second Sunbeam Cafe, the first failed well outside warranty. That extended warranty finished a month ago, disappointing.

Purchased in June 2017 at David Jones Retail Stores for $119.00.

Noise Level
Hi Paulfcdx, Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. So sorry to hear of this. Please call us on 1300 881 861 for further assistance. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Leaks water and lid does not open

Upon reading the other reviews, l too am disappointed with the kettle. I spent alot of money on this kettle and made the decision to purchase it for its brand name and functionality. It now leaks water from the "window level" and the lid has to be manually opened. Spoke to someone is customer service and because the warranty period has expired, are not interested in the complaint.
Will definitely not be buying any sunbeam product again

Purchased in July 2017.

Hi arivalchick, thank you, we will take your thoughts on board.

Lid Failure

First Kettle was replaced by Sunbeam direct due to faulty lid not opening, (as JB-HI needed the receipt to replace , however it had been a couple of months and I didn't have the receipt ) 2nd Kettle lid has broken after 2.5 years. Lid would just pop open whilst kettle boiling, then stopped opening .

Purchased in November 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

Noise Level
Hi Yvonne, sorry to hear. Always give our team a call on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist...

Lid no longer opens

Considering how much this kettle is, I would expect the lid to keep working at the very least, however we are now unable to open the lid to fill the kettle. We have had this kettle for approximately two years. I see from older posts this is a common complaint with this model. I would reconsider buying another Sunbeam kettle and look at other brands that are much more reliable, given the price you are paying for this product. What a shame Sunbeam didn't bother to address this issue with the lid seeing it was quite a common complaint. I would not recommend this product.

Purchased in June 2017.

Noise Level
Hi Not happy Jan67 Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. So sorry to hear of your experience with our kettle and I will be sure to pass this on to our product team for valuable feedback. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Not a safe kettle

Our first purchase of a KE 9650 was November 2016 and it was ok until we returned it because of rust issues in October 2017. We were given an other KE 9650 under warranty and it was working ok up until May 2019 when the plastic hinge on the lid disintegrated while poring boiling water and severely burning my wife’s hand. We are now looking at new kettles that have a better feedback than Sunbeam. Needless to say we are very disappointed with Sunbeam as we had been customers of their Maribyrnong Outlet for many, many years.

Purchased in October 2017 for $90.00.

Noise Level
Hi Allen, So sorry to hear of your experience with our KE9650. Please contact us on 1300 861 881 and we will be able to assist further. Kind regards, Sunbeam

A great kettle for our house but too many failures.

We have been extremely happy with the performance of the Sunbeam Cafe series of Kettles but the failure rate is too high. Tonight our 3rd Cafe Series failed, the glass popped out of the side.. Our first Cafe kettle was replaced on the spot by David Jones inside the warranty period with the glass leaking on the side. The 2nd Cafe series one side of the hinge broke and we couldn't open the lid. Again just outside of warranty. So in 2.5 years we have now gone through 3 x Cafe series and because we drink a great deal of Green Tea it was the perfect choice.. Boiled quickly and was convenient to use, especially the 80o setting for Green Tea,

We have also noticed the Whisper Quiet feature starts to be noisy approaching the 12 months of use.

But for the high cost, I cannot recommend this kettle.

Purchased in March 2018 at The Good Guys for $148.00.

Noise Level
Hi Colinm39, So sorry to hear of your experience with our KE9650. Please email us on customercare@sunbeam.com.au with a copy of the receipt with the purchased date. We would love to help you further. Please also mention in your email you have contacted us via Product review.

Nice design but not built to last - broken lid

This kettle has an elegant design overall and excellent functionality to set water temps to brew tea just right is great. We purchased this kettle about 3 years ago and have used it daily. There has been the very occasional instance where the water would just not boil and instead shut off early but the kettle generally worked reliably over the years to boil water daily.
The lid has always been unreliable in its opening and closing - the opening button just did not open the lid every time which meant that sometimes you had to pick the lid open which has been dangerous when the kettle was hot. Unfortunately the lid has finally broken off at the hinge, rendering it useless. This was not a cheap kettle and it is very disappointing that the lid has broken down in normal use, after only a few years. I want to like this kettle (and we did!), but the failure has tarnished my review of it. The operation life of 3 years before failing is just not good enough Sunbeam. Disappointing end to this kettle.

Purchased in May 2016 at The Good Guys.

Noise Level
Hi nerfherder, Sorry to hear of your experience with the KE9600. our feedback is valuable and has been passed on to our product team.Hello to Sunbeam Customer Care, Whilst I appreciate that someone has taken on my feedback, a 'sorry' doesn't replace my expensive kettle. Under Australian consumer law, a warranty against defects is a representation communicated to a consumer that if the goods or services (or part of them) are defective, the business will: repair or replace goods. Furthermore, if I (or any consumer) was made aware that the $100+ kettle would only have lasted 3 years before breakage or faulty operation, I would not have purchased this kettle - meaning under Australian consumer law, the faulty kettle should be replaced or repaired, even after the manufacturer warranty period has expired in this case. It would be great if Sunbeam can stand up for their product, provide some form of restitution for my faulty kettle. Given feedback from other owners of this product, it is clear that the product quality is poor in some elements of the kettle. If Sunbeam replaced my kettle, I'd post this positive feedback about this dealing and I'm sure prospective buyers would find this encouraging that their purchased products are appropriately warranted.Hi nerfherder, The safety and well being of our customers is always a priority for us however the date of purchase you have provided puts this product well outside the warranty period. We do add a grace period to a warranty however this still falls outside of this allowance and we are therefore unable to assist with a goodwill replacement at this time. The KE9600 is no longer manufactured and has been superseded. Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Finally giving trouble after three years

I got the kettle from Myers to whom I had returned under warranty another make. Insisting I did not want a replacement, the staff actually suggested the Sunbeam to me with the promise of very little trouble AND gave me a generous discount, perhaps to rid themselves of a grumbling customer. This kettle has been a delight to use, looks good in the kitchen, gets compliments from use by visitors and, above all, is fast. Only this week has it glitched, the automatic shut off being inoperative. Let's face it, repair probably not worth it but, in spite of some of the comments here (Melting plastic? Really?) I will most like get another.

Purchased in March 2017.

Noise Level
Hi RonnyCraven, thank you for your review and giving an honest recount...A miracle. Something else in the house blew a fuse and the kettle repaired itself. Wish I could bottle that whatever it is.

Rubbish, dangerous - Sunbeam MUST be investigated for such substandard.

This kettle was replaced twice. First time the lid stopped opening and the inside plastic started disintegrating with pieces being located inside the kettle. The second time we had the same issue, plus the handle began to heat up to burning point. Also the handle became slightly detached. I simply did not want to deal with Sunbeam staff again either as the made me feel like i had misused the kettle.

Purchased in February 2018 for $149.00.

Hi M. Ali We're sorry to hear of the experience you've had with the kettle and the service. Please do call again on 1300 881 861 and we will assist.

Internal parts disintegrating.

Good kettle for maybe year and a half then lid was not opening properly and internal parts started disintegrating and was finding black plastic bits in boiled water. Contacted Sunbeam to which they requested a receipt of purchase which I didn't have after so long. This was more of a safety issue as kettle only used to sterilise water for baby formula. Since then have bought a Kitchen Aid kettle which is so much better in design and quality.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Got about 5 months out of each of the 3 replacements

Just scraped the 3rd replacement kettle which all had Lid and Base problems. The last kettle the lid would not open at all and the handle got that hot that it burnt my friends hand when she went to pick it up to pour. For the price we paid I thought we were going to have a real good kettle but no such luck.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
Hi Dave. Sorry to hear of the issues you have had with your kettle. Can you please give us a call on 1300 881 861 and our customer service team can assist you.

Really great kettle

Fortunately for me, this has been a very solid kettle that I use every single day, I haven't had any issues with it in the past 18 months. Pretty easy to use, has multiple programs and it looks great in the kitchen.
For all the people with the beeping issue, have you tried to descale your kettle?
I am almost sure that this issue is caused by limescale build-up on the temperature sensor inside the kettle.
Use Dr. Beckmann Appliance Descaler (generous amount), rinse, then cover the base of the kettle with white vinegar for an hour or so.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Works perfectly except for holding water

Worked very well for two years. Love the variable temperature setting as I need a set temperature for my Aeropress coffee gadget. It looks great and I like the wide open mouth that makes it easy to clean.

2 years of use and it's started leaking from the transparent window. On close inspection, the window has developed very fine cracks which has weakened the integrity of the kettle. I came home and the contents of the kettle had drained into the base unit and inside the cupboards. Awful product, made even worse by the premium price it cost. Also bought a matching toaster which is average at best. I will avoid all Sunbeam products in the future.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Lasted two years

First of all, don't buy this if you want an accurate temperate. Secondly, mine only lasted two years. The lid doesn't open anymore. How disappointing.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Got 5 months out of it

Started off well, but in the past fortnight increasingly beeps at random temperatures, switches off below selected heat, and flashes DRY when it’s just been refilled. Pointless item. Purchased $149 David Jones, May 2018 - unable to use it October 2018. A waste of money and now I need to get a new one. Emailed requesting they send postage addressed box for return but no response. Poor product and poor customer service.

Date PurchasedMay 2018
Hi Kimmy C. Sorry to hear of the issues you had with your KE9650. Did you email Sunbeam or David Jones re the return? If you contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861, they would be more than happy to assist.

Do not buy

I bought this kettle. Within s few months kid started playing up. My husband managed to fix it at the time. Now it won’t open at all. Disappointed because it’s a sunbeam product , bought in June 2017, now not in warranty. Should of taken back earlier to Myers where I purchased.

Date PurchasedJun 2017
Hi Maria, sorry to hear of the issues you have experienced with your kettle. Please contact our customer care team on 1300 881 861 for further assistance.Today the handle fell off. I will call you

How can I stop the random beeping when heating please?
I too have random beeping. If I set it at 100 degrees the temperature goes up as it gets hotter. As it's heating, the temperature gauge goes down and it beeps. Then the gauge goes up and it stops beeping, then it goes down again and continues to beep on and off as the gauge goes up and down. It can do this about 20 times while I'm trying to boil it. When I can hear it's boiling and the temperature gauge has fallen again and beeps, I pick it up to pour. This is also a replacement one that leaked only a few months after buying, now out of warranty. Going out to get another kettle today but it definitely won't be Sunbeam. Very poorly made and very disappointed.Any news on the beeping - how do you turn this off. mine has started to beep every ten degrees hotter. very annoying.'PROBLEM SOLVED' to all, get a sledge hammer and flatten it (sarcasm of course lol) that is the only solution to this problem as there is no solutions! Sunbeam haven't thought of this problem, and that is funny because, Sunbeam have had this kettle design for many years and this problem since this kettle was released 8 years ago, as my friend bought one then and had the same problems and he got a refund and bought a different brand kettle, no problems after that. If your product is under warranty then you either 'Take it back and get it replaced' or as in my case, when I complained that the kettle was beeping (just out of warranty about 14 moths old) the guy at Sunbeam told me that they will 'give me a 20% discount' on another Sunbeam kettle and/or any other Sunbeam product that I buy. Whippy, I was jumping up and down for joy (sarcasm), That was useless, as the kettle broke down and didn't function at all and I had to throw it out, shortly after that . Thanks Sunbeam, never ever again.

Hi Sunbeam, Can you please advise how to fix the sticking lid issue that many of us are encountering after the unit is out of warranty? I'm sure that there is a simple fix as the levers all appear to still be working OK?
I will answer this myself. I called Sunbeam and they didn't have an easy fix for the lid sticking issue. Out lid finally became so stuck that a knife was required to lift it. After telling Sunbeam that it was just out of Warranty they said no problem so long as I have the receipt they will replace! I ended up taking to Harvey Norman, Bunbury who were great and replaced despite it being 4 months out of warranty. 5 Star rating for Sunbeam and Harvey Norman Bunbury for service despite the faulty product. It makes me think that it is worth buying from Bricks and Mortar stores rather than online even if there is a price difference for the service.

I'm looking at buying this kettle but the reviews are poor. Have sunbeam made any changes for the complaint of leaking kettle?
Hi Tina, I am not sure, I looked at the kettle yesterday while shopping for a new one and it looks the same to me. I have purchased a kettle that comes with a 3 year warranty.WARNING DO NOT BUY THIS KETTLE!!! I gave it a 1 out of 5 but that should be a -5!!! This kettle is a bad design and bad quality, it comes at a very expensive price too!!! If you want to waste your money then 'dont tell me that I told you so'!!! This is my simple answer to your question!

Sunbeam Cafe Series KE9650Sunbeam Cafe Series KE9600
CategoryElectric KettlesElectric Kettles
Capacity1.7 L1.7 L
Features360° Swivel Base and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge
Variable Temperatures YesNo
Construction Material Stainless SteelStainless Steel
Colour / Finish Stainless SteelStainless Steel
Cord Length 0.9 m0.9 m
Weight1.85 kg1.85 kg
Power2,400 W2,400 W
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Release dateJul 2012