Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle

2.0

Alex Mccarthy

Alex MccarthySydney, NSW

3 dead kettles

Looks great, and complements the other Sunbeam Cafe Series white goods I have in my home, however...
The original unit which I purchased in 2018 started acting strangely whilst boiling water, then died completely, so it was replaced under warranty in 2019.
The replacement worked well for about 3 months then started doing the same thing, so it was replaced in 2019.
The exact same thing has now happened to this unit, plus the lid now won't open.

I've reached out to Sunbeam customer service to ask for a escalation, but after waiting on hold for 45 minutes, hung up.

The product quality is not good, which is a real shame because their blender, 4 slice toast, and coffee machine are excellent.

Purchased in May 2018 at Sunbeam Australia for A$139.00.

Very Poor Quality

We have had this kettle for about 15 months.
The lid began to stick about 6 months ago, and finally this week it completely broke.
At about $129, it is by far the most expensive kettle, and also the worst quality we have ever owned.
We now use a saucepan lid over the top to make our tea.

Purchased in May 2019 at The Good Guys for A$129.00.

Kath Taouk

Kath TaoukSydney, NSW

Please recall this dangerous flawed kettle IMMEDIATELY!

Purchased in April 2018 at MYER for A$130.00.

Kathleen W

Kathleen W

Three times unlucky!

This is a great kettle.....when it works. Very quiet and love the variety of temperatures. Unfortunately we have had three and the first two failed after exactly 13 months and the third died today after just fifteen months. In the past we have been used to kettles lasting about eight years. A big fail Sunbeam and there’s obviously a major fault somewhere

Purchased at Myer.

Andyp

AndypDarling Downs, QLD

Lid snapped off

Good kettle, when It worked. Most of the time it kept beeping and contiounsly boiled. I'm just so lucky I wasn't scaulded. Should be recalled. $150 is a lot to pay for a kettle.

Purchased at Harvey Norman for A$150.00.

Ozauto

OzautoSouth East Queensland, QLD

Extremely disappointed Never again

Extremely disappointed with this product . Only had for 2 years and the first one was swapped as the lid was faulty . 2nd one now the thermostat has gone and keeps beeping when trying to boil
. I think I will take my consumer law option as this kettle for $150 should last longer then it has . A Kmart $7 kettle would be a better option . Disgraceful

Failed sensor

After using for 4 months the kettle had never been able to reach 100 degree. Ask for support yet no answer. Bad product and service. Not recommending this at all.

Purchased in August 2019 at Myer.

Hello Frustrated Boyer,
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with this faulty unit.
However I can't see any other communication you've had with us about this?
Either way you can return the product to your retailer for a replacement.

Teagan

TeaganSydney, NSW

Sprung a leak at 18 months

Worked great up until the 18month mark. Kettle has sprung a leak from the side window and now water pools underneath the body, near the element. I liked the feel and features of the cafe series and am disappointed that the kettle didn’t last the distance. I expected better from Sunbeam, especially at this price point.

Purchased in April 2018 for A$150.00.

Tom KGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Lid is unsafe

My son purchased the variable temperature unit for us as a spare as the original non-variable unit was starting to have problems with the lid attachment - it only recently became unusable. The new variable temperature unit my son bought us was only taken out of the box a month ago (from storage for about 2 years) and the plastic lid attachment unit was faulty and after a month has now completely broken down and is unsafe to use. Definitely not worth the purchase price and extremely unsafe.

Purchased in November 2017 at David Jones for A$199.00.

Hello Tom K,
So sorry to hear about this inconvenience, we appreciate your feedback and will inspect the issue our customers and yourself have raised.

Inconvenience!!!!!
The plastic component holding the lid is also attached the handle before it fell apart
Sorry to inconvenience you into looking into something which could have caused an electrocution

David W.

David W.Sydney, NSW

Average Quality, Design Faults obvious.

The kettle dribbles when pouring. Always has since new. Purchased 2007.
All the numbers and titles came off due to cleaning with simple cleaners like spray and wipe. This also happened with the Cafe Series Toaster I bought.
I always hold the lid when I push the release to open. Probably why my hinge has not failed as many others have.
The base and connection has to be cleaned frequently to avoid the beep/ start over problem mentioned by everyone else here.
I purchased the kettle and toaster in 2007. I paid $79.00 for the kettle plus $119.00 for the toaster as a job lot.
I would say pretty average performance and design for the price.

Purchased in November 2007 at Harvey Norman for A$79.00.

Hi David W,
Sorry to hear..

M Kobus

M KobusGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Luxury feature

The adjustable boil temperature and time information on the base are really useful and work well. The kettle boils quietly and fairly quickly. It's biggest drawback is the fragility of materials inside where the heat is. Like many posts here, first issue was the lid not opening when the button release was pressed. After putting up with that by prising the lid back to let the plastic catch release so the top could open, the plastic hinge broke.
The release mechanism seems to warrant a better design, and more durable materials in the hinge at such prices.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi M Kobus, thank you for reviewing.

Seaside Jo

Seaside JoMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Love the kettle for what it can do but not for what it should not be doing

Like most I’ve had repeated issues with this expensive kettle and fortunately with the assistance of Consumer and Business Services I’ve had replacements under warranty on several occasions
I’m now needing a new kettle but can’t find another brand that heats to 40deg
Do I succumb and repurchase of is there a better equivalent available (first kettle purchased date given)

Purchased for A$115.00.

Elena

ElenaSydney, NSW

Hopeless, majorly flawed design

Hi Elena,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and so sorry to hear of this. Please locate your purchase receipt and email it to us customercare@sunbeam.com.au along with your contact details. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Very poor quality

Very poor qualitySouth East Queensland, QLD

This is very substandard and potentially dangerous

I had two of these kettles replaced under warranty but was told the warranty doesn't restart when you receive the replacement. The third one has now failed. All had the same problem. The plastic hinge on the lid disintegrates and sharp pieces of plastic end up in you tea, which if swallowed could cause serious injury. Do not buy this kettle. It is very expensive but the quality is very inferior.

Purchased at Myer for A$149.00.

Very Dissatisfied

Coating badly peeling off this kettle. Only 12 months old. Spoke to their customer service and was told “it’s just normal wear”wouldn’t do anything as it still boiled water.Looks so disgusting can’t be left out on bench anymore. Very poor quality and not impressed with the customer service Certainly wouldn’t recommend

Peter

PeterVictoria

Works well except has a flawed hinge / lid which jams and then breaks.

The kettle worked well for 2.5 years. Then the lid started to stick and finally the hinge broke. Upon close examination it seem the plastic deteriorated and was not heat resistant. Why is it not made from Stainless steel like the rest of the kettle? This is the big weakness in design and manufacture.

Hi Peter,
So sorry to hear of this. We will be sure to pass this feedback onto our product manager. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Manuela

ManuelaSydney, NSW

love the modernstainless stel cordless style and the diffrent temperature setting .

Stainless steel cordless. Easy to clean. Modern look. Easy grip handle. Fast boiling.buttons are clearly displayed easy to read. Kettle displays in red what the current temperature is . It if fast boiling

Purchased in December 2017.

Hi Manuela,
Thanks for the great review!
Kind Regards Sunbeam

Paulfcdx

PaulfcdxBrisbane

$120 for boiling water but Failed , just outside warranty..

Like others have said this has become unreliable, now randomly turning off and on, flashing “dry” warning and finally requiring a finger on the button until it boils. It’s regularly descaled and when it worked it was good, quiet and temperature accurate. We took an extended warranty as this was our second Sunbeam Cafe, the first failed well outside warranty. That extended warranty finished a month ago, disappointing.

Purchased in June 2017 at David Jones Retail Stores for A$119.00.

Hi Paulfcdx,
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. So sorry to hear of this. Please call us on 1300 881 861 for further assistance. Kind Regards Sunbeam

arivalchick

arivalchickGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Leaks water and lid does not open

Upon reading the other reviews, l too am disappointed with the kettle. I spent alot of money on this kettle and made the decision to purchase it for its brand name and functionality. It now leaks water from the "window level" and the lid has to be manually opened. Spoke to someone is customer service and because the warranty period has expired, are not interested in the complaint.
Will definitely not be buying any sunbeam product again

Purchased in July 2017.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi arivalchick, thank you, we will take your thoughts on board.

Yvonne

Yvonne

Lid Failure

First Kettle was replaced by Sunbeam direct due to faulty lid not opening, (as JB-HI needed the receipt to replace , however it had been a couple of months and I didn't have the receipt ) 2nd Kettle lid has broken after 2.5 years. Lid would just pop open whilst kettle boiling, then stopped opening .

Purchased in November 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Yvonne, sorry to hear. Always give our team a call on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist...

David P

David Pasked

Cafe Series KE9600

Hi Sunbeam Customer Service, my kettle base unit START/CANCEL button works, but at different stages of the heating process, it stops working - sometimes the temperature reading spirals to zero and flies back up again. It seems very confused. The actual kettle heating element etc is fine. The computer is not.

Matthew M.
Matthew M.

This is my issue recently as well i have had the kettle for a while but the random beeping is a concern.
What i find is that it will sometimes not register that its got to 100 and sit at 99 and just boil i am worried that if i walk away and this happens its going to boil all the water and burn the unit :(

Stella

Stellaasked

Cafe Series Kettle

I too have a Sunbeam Kettle - Model KE9151 which needs a knife to ooen the "POP" top. Could you please let me know how to fix this.

Tom K

The same happened to our first kettle and we oersted with it even though our son bought us a new one which remained in its box till ours became unusable due to the lid. The new one only lasted three weeks. Soon after starting to use it the mechanism attaching the handle to the body loosened and it became an electrical danger
All we got out of Sunbeam was” thank you for letting us know - we’ll look into it”. No refund, no replacement on either unit.
Stay clear of these kettles - DANGER WILL ROBINSON

harold r

harold rasked

Cafe Series KE9650

can you purchase new lid. my hinge has broken.

Hello harold r,
Unfortunately we do not have that as a spare part. Can I ask how long you have had the kettle for?

Rick
Rick

Yep mine broke same as yours plastic hinge has separated after it became sticky to open ,pretty crappy sunbeam cannot replace or supply a replacement part and what does age have to do with it ????

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

Compare all 2 Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle
Sunbeam Cafe Series KE9600
  • Discontinued

Sunbeam Cafe Series KE9600

1.7
CategoryElectric KettlesElectric Kettles
Price (RRP) A$159.00
Capacity1.7 L1.7 L
Features360° Swivel Base and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, Keep Warm Option and Water Gauge
Variable Temperatures YesNo
Construction MaterialStainless SteelStainless Steel
Colour / FinishStainless SteelStainless Steel
Cord Length0.9 m0.9 m
Weight1.85 kg1.85 kg
Power2,400 W2,400 W
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Release dateJul 2012