Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle

Sunbeam Cafe Series Kettle

KE9650, KE9600

• Incentivised Review Yes (0%) · No (100%)

Teagan

TeaganSydney, NSW

Sprung a leak at 18 months

Worked great up until the 18month mark. Kettle has sprung a leak from the side window and now water pools underneath the body, near the element. I liked the feel and features of the cafe series and am disappointed that the kettle didn’t last the distance. I expected better from Sunbeam, especially at this price point.

Purchased in April 2018 for $150.00.

Tom KGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Lid is unsafe

My son purchased the variable temperature unit for us as a spare as the original non-variable unit was starting to have problems with the lid attachment - it only recently became unusable. The new variable temperature unit my son bought us was only taken out of the box a month ago (from storage for about 2 years) and the plastic lid attachment unit was faulty and after a month has now completely broken down and is unsafe to use. Definitely not worth the purchase price and extremely unsafe.

Purchased in November 2017 at David Jones for $199.00.

Hello Tom K,
So sorry to hear about this inconvenience, we appreciate your feedback and will inspect the issue our customers and yourself have raised.

Inconvenience!!!!!
The plastic component holding the lid is also attached the handle before it fell apart
Sorry to inconvenience you into looking into something which could have caused an electrocution

David W.

David W.Sydney, NSW

Average Quality, Design Faults obvious.

The kettle dribbles when pouring. Always has since new. Purchased 2007.
All the numbers and titles came off due to cleaning with simple cleaners like spray and wipe. This also happened with the Cafe Series Toaster I bought.
I always hold the lid when I push the release to open. Probably why my hinge has not failed as many others have.
The base and connection has to be cleaned frequently to avoid the beep/ start over problem mentioned by everyone else here.
I purchased the kettle and toaster in 2007. I paid $79.00 for the kettle plus $119.00 for the toaster as a job lot.
I would say pretty average performance and design for the price.

Purchased in November 2007 at Harvey Norman for $79.00.

Hi David W,
Sorry to hear..

M Kobus

M KobusGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Luxury feature

The adjustable boil temperature and time information on the base are really useful and work well. The kettle boils quietly and fairly quickly. It's biggest drawback is the fragility of materials inside where the heat is. Like many posts here, first issue was the lid not opening when the button release was pressed. After putting up with that by prising the lid back to let the plastic catch release so the top could open, the plastic hinge broke.
The release mechanism seems to warrant a better design, and more durable materials in the hinge at such prices.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi M Kobus, thank you for reviewing.

Seaside Jo

Seaside JoMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Love the kettle for what it can do but not for what it should not be doing

Like most I’ve had repeated issues with this expensive kettle and fortunately with the assistance of Consumer and Business Services I’ve had replacements under warranty on several occasions
I’m now needing a new kettle but can’t find another brand that heats to 40deg
Do I succumb and repurchase of is there a better equivalent available (first kettle purchased date given)

Purchased for $115.00.

Elena

ElenaSydney, NSW

Hopeless, majorly flawed design

Hi Elena,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and so sorry to hear of this. Please locate your purchase receipt and email it to us customercare@sunbeam.com.au along with your contact details. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Very poor quality

Very poor qualitySouth East Queensland, QLD

This is very substandard and potentially dangerous

I had two of these kettles replaced under warranty but was told the warranty doesn't restart when you receive the replacement. The third one has now failed. All had the same problem. The plastic hinge on the lid disintegrates and sharp pieces of plastic end up in you tea, which if swallowed could cause serious injury. Do not buy this kettle. It is very expensive but the quality is very inferior.

Purchased at Myer for $149.00.

Very Dissatisfied

Coating badly peeling off this kettle. Only 12 months old. Spoke to their customer service and was told “it’s just normal wear”wouldn’t do anything as it still boiled water.Looks so disgusting can’t be left out on bench anymore. Very poor quality and not impressed with the customer service Certainly wouldn’t recommend

Peter

PeterVictoria

Works well except has a flawed hinge / lid which jams and then breaks.

The kettle worked well for 2.5 years. Then the lid started to stick and finally the hinge broke. Upon close examination it seem the plastic deteriorated and was not heat resistant. Why is it not made from Stainless steel like the rest of the kettle? This is the big weakness in design and manufacture.

Hi Peter,
So sorry to hear of this. We will be sure to pass this feedback onto our product manager. Kind Regards Sunbeam

Manuela

ManuelaSydney, NSW

love the modernstainless stel cordless style and the diffrent temperature setting .

Stainless steel cordless. Easy to clean. Modern look. Easy grip handle. Fast boiling.buttons are clearly displayed easy to read. Kettle displays in red what the current temperature is . It if fast boiling

Purchased in December 2017.

Hi Manuela,
Thanks for the great review!
Kind Regards Sunbeam

Paulfcdx

PaulfcdxBrisbane

$120 for boiling water but Failed , just outside warranty..

Like others have said this has become unreliable, now randomly turning off and on, flashing “dry” warning and finally requiring a finger on the button until it boils. It’s regularly descaled and when it worked it was good, quiet and temperature accurate. We took an extended warranty as this was our second Sunbeam Cafe, the first failed well outside warranty. That extended warranty finished a month ago, disappointing.

Purchased in June 2017 at David Jones Retail Stores for $119.00.

Hi Paulfcdx,
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. So sorry to hear of this. Please call us on 1300 881 861 for further assistance. Kind Regards Sunbeam

arivalchick

arivalchickGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Leaks water and lid does not open

Upon reading the other reviews, l too am disappointed with the kettle. I spent alot of money on this kettle and made the decision to purchase it for its brand name and functionality. It now leaks water from the "window level" and the lid has to be manually opened. Spoke to someone is customer service and because the warranty period has expired, are not interested in the complaint.
Will definitely not be buying any sunbeam product again

Purchased in July 2017.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi arivalchick, thank you, we will take your thoughts on board.

Yvonne

Yvonne

Lid Failure

First Kettle was replaced by Sunbeam direct due to faulty lid not opening, (as JB-HI needed the receipt to replace , however it had been a couple of months and I didn't have the receipt ) 2nd Kettle lid has broken after 2.5 years. Lid would just pop open whilst kettle boiling, then stopped opening .

Purchased in November 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi Yvonne, sorry to hear. Always give our team a call on 1300 881 861 to see if we can assist...

Not happy Jan67

Not happy Jan67Sydney

Lid no longer opens

Considering how much this kettle is, I would expect the lid to keep working at the very least, however we are now unable to open the lid to fill the kettle. We have had this kettle for approximately two years. I see from older posts this is a common complaint with this model. I would reconsider buying another Sunbeam kettle and look at other brands that are much more reliable, given the price you are paying for this product. What a shame Sunbeam didn't bother to address this issue with the lid seeing it was quite a common complaint. I would not recommend this product.

Purchased in June 2017.

Hi Not happy Jan67
Thank you for contacting Sunbeam. So sorry to hear of your experience with our kettle and I will be sure to pass this on to our product team for valuable feedback.
Kind Regards, Sunbeam

Not a safe kettle

Our first purchase of a KE 9650 was November 2016 and it was ok until we returned it because of rust issues in October 2017. We were given an other KE 9650 under warranty and it was working ok up until May 2019 when the plastic hinge on the lid disintegrated while poring boiling water and severely burning my wife’s hand. We are now looking at new kettles that have a better feedback than Sunbeam. Needless to say we are very disappointed with Sunbeam as we had been customers of their Maribyrnong Outlet for many, many years.

Purchased in October 2017 for $90.00.

Hi Allen,
So sorry to hear of your experience with our KE9650. Please contact us on 1300 861 881 and we will be able to assist further. Kind regards,

Colinm39

Colinm39Greater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

A great kettle for our house but too many failures.

Purchased in March 2018 at The Good Guys for $148.00.

nerfherderPerth

Nice design but not built to last - broken lid

Purchased in May 2016 at The Good Guys.

Hi nerfherder,
Sorry to hear of your experience with the KE9600. our feedback is valuable and has been passed on to our product team.

RonnyCravenSydney Surrounds, NSW

Finally giving trouble after three years

I got the kettle from Myers to whom I had returned under warranty another make. Insisting I did not want a replacement, the staff actually suggested the Sunbeam to me with the promise of very little trouble AND gave me a generous discount, perhaps to rid themselves of a grumbling customer. This kettle has been a delight to use, looks good in the kitchen, gets compliments from use by visitors and, above all, is fast. Only this week has it glitched, the automatic shut off being inoperative. Let's face it, repair probably not worth it but, in spite of some of the comments here (Melting plastic? Really?) I will most like get another.

Purchased in March 2017.

Customer C.Sunbeam

Hi RonnyCraven, thank you for your review and giving an honest recount...

RonnyCraven

A miracle. Something else in the house blew a fuse and the kettle repaired itself. Wish I could bottle that whatever it is.

Rubbish, dangerous - Sunbeam MUST be investigated for such substandard.

This kettle was replaced twice. First time the lid stopped opening and the inside plastic started disintegrating with pieces being located inside the kettle. The second time we had the same issue, plus the handle began to heat up to burning point. Also the handle became slightly detached. I simply did not want to deal with Sunbeam staff again either as the made me feel like i had misused the kettle.

Purchased in February 2018 for $149.00.

Hi M. Ali
We're sorry to hear of the experience you've had with the kettle and the service. Please do call again on 1300 881 861 and we will assist.

Lansie

LansieWEST FOOTSCRAY

Internal parts disintegrating.

Good kettle for maybe year and a half then lid was not opening properly and internal parts started disintegrating and was finding black plastic bits in boiled water. Contacted Sunbeam to which they requested a receipt of purchase which I didn't have after so long. This was more of a safety issue as kettle only used to sterilise water for baby formula. Since then have bought a Kitchen Aid kettle which is so much better in design and quality.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

harold r

harold rasked

can you purchase new lid. my hinge has broken.

Hello harold r,
Unfortunately we do not have that as a spare part. Can I ask how long you have had the kettle for?

auntymad

auntymadasked

How can I stop the random beeping when heating please?

Belinda
Belinda

I too have random beeping. If I set it at 100 degrees the temperature goes up as it gets hotter. As it's heating, the temperature gauge goes down and it beeps. Then the gauge goes up and it stops beeping, then it goes down again and continues to beep on and off as the gauge goes up and down. It can do this about 20 times while I'm trying to boil it. When I can hear it's boiling and the temperature gauge has fallen again and beeps, I pick it up to pour. This is also a replacement one that leaked only a few months after buying, now out of warranty. Going out to get another kettle today but it definitely won't be Sunbeam. Very poorly made and very disappointed.

JlI
JlI

Any news on the beeping - how do you turn this off. mine has started to beep every ten degrees hotter. very annoying.

Steve
Steve

'PROBLEM SOLVED' to all, get a sledge hammer and flatten it (sarcasm of course lol) that is the only solution to this problem as there is no solutions! Sunbeam haven't thought of this problem, and that is funny because, Sunbeam have had this kettle design for many years and this problem since this kettle was released 8 years ago, as my friend bought one then and had the same problems and he got a refund and bought a different brand kettle, no problems after that.

If your product is under warranty then you either 'Take it back and get it replaced' or as in my case, when I complained that the kettle was beeping (just out of warranty about 14 moths old) the guy at Sunbeam told me that they will 'give me a 20% discount' on another Sunbeam kettle and/or any other Sunbeam product that I buy. Whippy, I was jumping up and down for joy (sarcasm), That was useless, as the kettle broke down and didn't function at all and I had to throw it out, shortly after that . Thanks Sunbeam, never ever again.

Beroccaasked

Hi Sunbeam,

Can you please advise how to fix the sticking lid issue that many of us are encountering after the unit is out of warranty? I'm sure that there is a simple fix as the levers all appear to still be working OK?

Berocca

I will answer this myself. I called Sunbeam and they didn't have an easy fix for the lid sticking issue. Out lid finally became so stuck that a knife was required to lift it. After telling Sunbeam that it was just out of Warranty they said no problem so long as I have the receipt they will replace! I ended up taking to Harvey Norman, Bunbury who were great and replaced despite it being 4 months out of warranty. 5 Star rating for Sunbeam and Harvey Norman Bunbury for service despite the faulty product. It makes me think that it is worth buying from Bricks and Mortar stores rather than online even if there is a price difference for the service.

Get an answer from our members and Sunbeam representatives

Download manual