2FoodSaver Controlled Seal VS7850

3.0
2.5
3.4
Powerful vacuum suction
Seals dry and moist foods
Straightforward to use
Slightly bulky
Buying Guide Banner
FoodSaver Controlled Seal VS7850 Showcases

Official material from FoodSaver.

Read now

Corissa NSouth East Queensland, QLD2 posts
  Verified Top Review

Really great product until it stopped working after 11 months

The Foodsaver worked really well and did everything I needed it to do, unfortunately after 11 months it burnt out. I first contacted Sunbeam on the 17th April 2020 regarding the warranty, almost 7 months later after many phone calls and emails I am yet to resolve the problem I had with their product. They either tell me to resend all the information I have already sent them or they don't even respond to my emails. It is really disappointing that a company like Sunbeam deal with warranty issues with their products in this way. Could someone from Sunbeam please contact me.

Purchased in at Myer for $239.20.

Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
Sunbeam   DM

Thank you for sharing your current experience, we are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your VS7850.

We are keen to assist and get this sorted.
We kindly ask you to send us a private message with your case number and details and our Sunbeam Experts will be happy to help.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.
Sunbeam Customer Care

Corissa N

I have sent two private messages and yet to receive a response from Sunbeam

Sunbeam   DM

Hello Corissa N, Apologies for the delay over the Christmas period.
I have just passed your details onto the team and someone will contact you shortly.
Sunbeam Customer Care

Bebe
Bebe3 posts
  Top Review

Save money, food, space and the ENVIRONMENT

I could not rave this product enough, this is one of the best investment I have purchased for me and my family. Food last much longer 5x more, therefore I no longer waste food and save money. My fridge neater as I portion everything after buying bulk or shopping from the market. I often cater for parties so what I do is I chop all the garlic, onions and meats then vac seal it so on the day all the preparations are ready saving me heaps of time and my fridge no longer smell from blue cheese or herbs and spiceses.

There are numerous things you can do with this machine, it’s really up to your creativity or just look up ideas on google. It doesn’t have to be used for food only, for example my 70yrs old father would seal his shoe polish as they dry out by the next time he used it. I seal all my liquid medication when I’m traveling so it doesn’t t leak in my suitcase.

• Date Purchased:
Review your last purchase on ProductReview.com.au
Sunbeam   DM

Thanks for the great review Bebe! Sealing your shoe polish, that's a new one for us!!

Mark B.
Mark B.2 posts

Total junk

The vacuum hose on the unit to seal jars can't be replaced if the weak plastic nipple breaks which it has. The whole unit is down to just a tiny piece of weak plastic to seal jars because no replacement part exists nor can one be attached into the machine. Sealed perhaps 50 jars and that's it, game over. Pathetic. Avoid buying this garbage. Show details
Donkey
Donkey6 posts

2 units died in 13 months with light use

Works fine but won't turn on after a few months of occasional usage. This happened with the replacement unit as well. Thank goodness that Costco Australia has a wonderful warranty to protect their membership. It would be a nightmare if it even possible to go through Sunbeam Australia. I have poor experience with their warranty process. I would not buy any Sunbeam product without the backing of Costco. Show details
Goodguy
GoodguyDarling Downs, QLD4 posts

Help?

I just got this foodsaver and I don’t think I’m using it right?!?
Does the bag go in the green part?
If l’m sealing a liquidy meal, it seems like it doesn’t seal as well?
Is there a trick to get this right? Show reply
Dsp1234
Dsp1234

Amazing product!

What a genius product. Having a busy family life, I am always looking to bulk buy our food and prep our meals in advance without the worry of the food going bad. This machine has helped me be more organised in the kitchen making my life so much simpler. I am no longer throwing away leftover food and it’s saved me and my family money. I have told everyone about it.

It’s an investment and everybody should have one! Show reply

Michael M.Sydney Surrounds, NSW4 posts

Waste of money!!

Have sealed all my veggies for the week, only to find that they are no longer airtight after a few days. Really poor, vacuums and seals however air leaks back into the bags. Show details
Michael M.

Wasted so much money on food prep, seals are not airtight, may as well use glad wrap. Really poor product. Only the containers work well.

Olivia
OliviaSydney, NSW

I want to Vacuum Seal my entire house now

I was skeptical at first but then my friend got me onto a Foodsaver and I don't know how I lived without one. The food stays so fresh and it saves so much space in my freezer - being so OCD i love being able to vacuum seal and label everything I buy. It also works great for marinating and the meat comes out so much more flavoursome - highly recommend!
Vicki H.
Vicki H.Sydney, NSW

Great .. and then it died just outside of warranty

I was given a Foodsaver VS7850 as a gift and it was brilliant for sealing food. After a year it just died with no power getting through. Some research on the internet shows that it this isn't uncommon. This isn't a cheap appliance so it's disappointing that it has some issues with its components. Show details
Helen R.
Helen R.17 posts

Not Happy Jan!

I bought this FoodSaver food sealer from Costco for a couple of hundred dollars just over a year ago and I am not at all happy with it. It won't let me seal half sized bags and now it is not sealing any bags at all properly. I am throwing it in the bin today and going for another brand. I would NOT recommend this sealer. Show details
Bill42South East Queensland, QLD46 posts
Andrew
Andrew3 posts

Warranty Response

I purchased this machine on 28th November 2019 at the Good Guys OConnor WA. It worked really well until 20th December 2020then it just stopped working. Advice from the good guys was “bad luck it’s out of warranty”. Am very disappointed as this model was the most expensive and I expected many years of good service not just 1 year. I can get proof of purchase from them if need be. Show details ·  1
Zuaad
ZuaadVictoria

Suddenly stop working!

I’m very disappointed and dissatisfied with the product. I bought the Foodsaver almost 2 years ago as one of the best quality brands but even if I just used it sporadically for very basic functions a couple of days ago suddenly stop working, and as the warranty was expired I cannot do much... next time I will try for a cheaper brand with better quality.

It doesn’t worth what I have paid for it!!! Money waste just by brand name.  Show details

Jillie
Jillie4 posts

Worked well until warranty ran out

I loved using my foodsaver until it suddenly stopped working. It was only a few weeks out of warranty. I contacted customer service and all they did was send me a link to buy another unit. Not impressed Show details
Sunbeam   DM

Hello Jillie, Please send me a private message and I would be happy to organise a replacement for you.

dennis k
dennis kSouth East Queensland, QLD3 posts

waste of money

I bought a Sunbeam VS7800 from Harvey Norman two and half years ago. I have not used the machine that much and now it wont go to phase 2 so its usless and I feel it was a waste of $250 . This is my second Sunbeam ( and my last )
signed disappointed Show details

Frequently Asked Questions about FoodSaver Controlled Seal VS7850

What is vacuum sealing?

FoodSaver® is a vacuum seal system that vacuums air out from bags and containers and then creates a commercial quality air-tight seal to lock in freshness and protect food from spoiling. Air is the enemy of fresh, as oxygen and moisture in the air causes food to degrade over time and lose flavour, texture and nutritional value. Ordinary food storage methods trap the air in with your food, FoodSaver® vacuums the air out.

How does FoodSaver® extend freshness?

By removing air and moisture from food, it prevents bacteria from growing and multiplying which keeps food fresher for longer. Vacuum sealing blocks oxygen & moisture, and eliminates freezer burn & dehydration.

How long can the FoodSaver® system keep my food fresh?

Extends freshness up to 5 times longer - will depend on a number of factors e.g. place of storage, age of food, vacuum effectiveness. FoodSaver® vacuums air out, then creates a commercial quality seal so food stays fresh up to 5X longer using FoodSaver® bags and rolls. Using the reusable FoodSaver® containers and zipper bags, keeps food fresh up to 2X longer.

What are the benefits of vacuum sealing?

You save money because:

• foods keep their freshness up to five times longer. And, foods don't get freezer burn for several years because they don't come in contact with cold, dry air.
  • Foods last longer, so you throw less away.
  • You can buy lower-priced bulk quantities and re-package at home into smaller portions exactly the size you want.
  • Leftovers stay fresh in the freezer for several months.

You save time by:

• Making fewer trips to the grocery store because foods last longer.
  • Cooking several portions when you have time and vacuum seal single servings in a bag or right onto plates.
  • Marinating meat and fish in minutes instead of hours.

Also:

• Enjoy your favourite foods all year, even when they are out of season.
  • Protect non-food items from corrosion and moisture-damage.
  • Create first aid and emergency kits in the home, car and boat.
  • Outdoor enthusiasts can vacuum seal supplies to keep them clean and dry

Can FoodSaver® be used just for food?

No. Use for hundreds of non-food uses around the home, camping, outdoors and for kids e.g. waterproofing documents, keep paintbrush from drying out in between coats, store seeds for next season, keep home first aid kit together and waterproof, prevent silver and jewellery from tarnishing etc.

Can cooked food be vacuum sealed?

Yes, with the exception of tomatoes. Cooked foods must be at least room temperature before vacuuming or you run the risk of bacterial growth.

Can I use it instead of placing food in the fridge?

No. Vacuum sealing isn't a replacement for storage methods. It extends food freshness in the current storage method.

Where do I insert the bag?

After you have put the food inside the bag, you then need to vacuum seal it (vacuum the air out, then heat seal the bag closed).

Gently stretch bag flat while inserting to ensure there are no wrinkles in the bag.

Insert the end of the bag completely inside the vacuum channel/ drip tray. Ensure the bag opening is curled down and the bag opening sits inside the drip tray/ vacuum channel.

Then push ‘Vacuum Seal’ button.

Auto Off Vac/Seal. FoodSaver® machines have a handy auto off vacuum seal. Wait until the VAC/SEAL light goes off before opening the lid.

Why won’t the bag insert into the machine?

Gently stretch bag flat while inserting. Insert bag curl down into Vacuum Channel. Make sure there is enough ‘empty’ bag material to reach centre of drip tray. Always allow 7.5cm extra space from the food to the end of the bag to allow a good seal space and allow the lid to close. This extra space also allows the bag to seal tightly around food contents.

Which side of the bag should be placed in the vacuum channel/drip tray?

Place the embossed (rough) side/ curl side down over the heat seal bar.

Can I remove the bag before the Seal or Vacuum Seal lights turn off?

FoodSaver® machines have a handy auto off mechanism. The vacuum and seal cycle will automatically stop when complete and machine lights will turn off. If you remove the bag before the lights turn off, the vacuum and seal will not have been completed so the bag will not have sealed properly.

Why is the Red Seal light flashing?

The machine is overheated. Always allow 20 seconds between seals. Under heavy usage, machine will shut off automatically and Red Light will flash. Wait for 20 min. for machine to cool off.

Latch has been left in On/ Close position rather than the store position so the gaskets/ rubber seals have compressed. Open the lid and allow 10 to 20 minutes for gaskets/ rubber seals to expand.

If Latch was left in On position for 5 minutes and not used, the Red LED flashes to remind the user to turn Latch to Open or Store position. Vacuum pump running more than 120 seconds. Under heavy usage, machine will shut off automatically and Red Light will flash.

What do I do if the Gasket is loose?

Take out the gasket, clean it and re-insert the Gasket into the Vacuum Channel. If Gasket has minor damage remove, flip over and reinstall.

How do I clean the gaskets and how often should I clean them?

Remove them and wash under warm water with detergent, rinse thoroughly then leave out to air dry overnight completely. This can bring back elasticity to foam and ensure a better seal.

What do I do if the Bag melts?

Sealing Strip may have become too hot. Always wait at least 20 seconds for machine to cool down before you vacuum seal another item. Use FoodSaver® brand bags. Our FoodSaver® Bags and Rolls are specially designed for FoodSaver® machines.

What is the Marinate Programme on the VS7850?

Using containers, the Marinate programme marinates in minutes, using vacuum power to pulse juices deep into the fibres of the meat, allowing you to marinate in as little as 12 minutes. A cycle of vacuuming air out of the container and then releasing, helps food draw the marinade in, allowing for optimum flavour infusion in less time. Attach the retractable Accessory Adaptor to the FoodSaver® container, and then press the Marinate button. Vacuum pulse cycle takes 12 minutes or less and will vacuum and release three times.

When do I use the Moist button?

For optimal vacuuming and sealing of moist or juicy foods, press Moist Food Button which creates a longer sealing time.

Do you have any tips for vacuum sealing Moist foods?

Prevent moisture or liquid from being pulled into the Vacuum Channel or trapped in the seal preventing a vacuum. Pre-freeze moist food such as raw meat for 1-2 hours before vacuum sealing or place a folded paper towel between food and end of bag to absorb excess liquids. Just be sure to leave at least 7.5cm between food and end of bag so that bag seals properly with paper towel inside.

When simmering food in a FoodSaver® bag, why does it split open at the seam?

Only place bags with frozen food inside the simmering water. The coldness of the food will keep the bag from becoming too hot while the food is heating up. If the food in the bag was frozen, but the bag split anyway, your bags are most likely defective.

Are there any tips for vacuum sealing liquids?

Before you vacuum package liquids such as soup stock, pre-freeze in a casserole dish, loaf pan or ice cube tray until solid. Remove frozen liquid from pan and vacuum package in a FoodSaver® Bag. You can stack these “frozen bricks” in your freezer. When you’re ready to use, just cut corner of bag and place in a dish in microwave or drop into water at a low simmer, below 75°C.

Will flour still get bugs in it after it is vacuum packed?

Insects and their larvae cannot survive in a low oxygen environment, such as that created when you vacuum package your dry foods such as flour, corn starch, corn meal and cereals.

Vacuum Pump is running, but why is the air not being vacuumed out?

Ensure you are using a bag with one opening. If making a bag from a roll, make sure one end of bag is sealed.

Adjust the bag and try again. Make sure the open end of the bag is down inside the Vacuum Channel.

Check for wrinkles in bag along Sealing Strip. To prevent wrinkles in the seal, gently stretch bag flat while inserting bag into Vacuum Channel. Check gaskets/ rubber seals are in good order. Open machine and make sure gaskets are inserted properly and there are no foreign objects, dirt or debris on the gaskets. If the machine has been left in On or Close position rather than Store position, then the Gaskets may be compressed. Open the lid and allow 10 to 20 minutes for Gaskets to expand.

Make sure the lid is latched down all the way. If the Latch does not catch the lid and bring it down, there will be a leak between the Gaskets.

Why isn’t my bag sealing properly?

Please check:

Bag is placed correctly. The edge of the bag should sit inside the vacuum chamber/ drip. If cutting bags from the roll, please ensure the scissors are very sharp. Blunt scissors or blades will affect the cut and can prevent air from being vacuumed out completely.

Rough side (curl) is down on the sealing strip.

There is enough gap in the bag to seal. Leave 7.5cm gap from food to cut edge of bag.

Wrinkles in the bag. Before you place the bag in the vacuum chamber/ drip tray, pull the side pleats of the bag tightly, so there are no wrinkles, then place bag flat against the sealing strip and insert bag curl down into the Vacuum Channel. A wrinkle on the seal will cause a slight gap and air will re-enter.

Moisture on the sealing area of the bag. If there’s any moisture inside the bag at the point where you want to seal, then this moisture will stop it sealing properly. If this area is wet, then it’s impossible to seal. Chicken, fish, bacon, vegetables can have a surprising amount of liquid. Wipe this seal area with a paper towel or make a dam between the food and the join with folded up paper towel and/or use the moist food function.

Sealing Lights went off before you opened the lid. Did you remove the bag before the Vacuum Seal or Seal lights went off? FoodSaver® vacuum and seal cycle will automatically stop when complete and machine lights will turn off. If you remove the bag beforehand, the vacuum and seal will not have been completed so the bag will not have sealed properly.

There are 2 clean gaskets. There are 2 foam seals (gaskets) in the machine - 1 at top and 1 at bottom. Try swapping foam seals (gaskets) around, or remove them to wash under warm water with detergent, rinse thoroughly then leave out to dry completely. This can bring back elasticity to foam.

If the machine has overheated. Always allow 20 seconds between seals. Under heavy usage, machine will shut off automatically and Red Light will flash. Wait for 20 min. for machine to cool off.

Air was removed from the bag, but now air has re-entered

Examine the seal. A wrinkle along the seal may cause air to re-enter the bag. To prevent wrinkles in the seal, place bag flat against the sealing strip and insert bag curl down into the vacuum channel/ drip tray.

Sometimes moisture or food material (such as juices, grease, crumbs, powders, etc.) along seal prevents bag from sealing properly. If this area is wet, then it’s impossible to seal. Chicken, fish, bacon, vegetables can have a surprising amount of liquid. Cut bag open, wipe top inside of bag and re-seal. You can prevent liquids from being drawn into the machine by placing a folded paper towel at the top of the bag, but below the seal area, before vacuum sealing. Pre-freeze moist food such as raw meat for 1-2 hours before vacuum sealing or place a folded paper towel between food and end of bag to absorb excess liquids.

Sharp food items may have punctured bag (spaghetti, bones). Use a new bag if there is a hole. Cover sharp food items with a soft cushioning material, such as a paper towel, and re-seal.

Fermentation or the release of natural gases from inside the foods may have occurred. When this happens, food may have begun to spoil and should be discarded.

Faulty bag. Bag could be punctured. Try another bag.

The machine did not finish sealing the bag. Ensure you’ve allowed the FoodSaver® to finish sealing before opening the lid. FoodSaver® machines have a handy auto off vacuum seal. Wait until the VAC/SEAL light goes off before opening the lid.

Natural Gases in Foods. The release of natural gases or fermentation from foods, (such as fresh fruits and vegetables) can add air back into a vacuum packaged bag. To prevent this occurring, vegetables can be blanched prior to vacuum sealing. Also pre-freezing meats prior to vacuum sealing can prevent natural gases being released.

Why won’t my machine work? I have plugged into the power point, and the Power light and control panel lights aren’t on.

The lid needs to be closed and locked, and the machine turned On. Make sure lid is all the way down and closed.

Some FoodSaver® machines have a latch on the right side which then needs to be turned to On/Operate/ Close.

The VS1500 and VS6100 machines have a push lid close mechanism. To close and lock the lid, with the heel of your palms double push on the bottom left and bottom right corner of the lid. The coloured buttons on the sides of the machine will pop out, indicating the lid is locked and ready for use.

Are there any foods which shouldn’t be vacuum sealed or any food tips?

Soft Cheeses. While it’s safe to vacuum seal hard cheeses, soft cheeses may mould faster under a vacuum.

Raw Bananas & Mushrooms. Because of their natural ripening process, these may decay faster under a vacuum.

Apples. When you vacuum seal apples, they must be sliced and put a small bit of lemon juice on the slices to prevent them from browning.

Raw onions, garlic, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts. Some vegetables produce natural gases which will cause the bag to expand and may cause a loss of vacuum and the vegetables will go bad. The best way to store all vegetables is to blanch them first, then cool, dry, vacuum pack and freeze.

Latest Consumer Questions

John C.
John C.

do u hhave the heat seal part mine is creast and doest seal all the time also do u have replacement plade cutter

Bill42

I am a customer that has had 2 Foodsaver - the older model and the latest one. Heat seal should not be creased or marked if so return it. The cutter on the new model is not as effective.

Steve G
Steve G

Hi.
How do you replace the cutting blade on the Foodsaver VS7850? Mine has suddenly stopped cutting after 12 months.
Can you buy a replacement cutting part?

Steve

Paul M

Hi, my sunbeam foodsaver VS7850 wont seal. It will vacuum all the air out but when it comes to sealing the red light just goes out and wont seal, even when you just wont to seal a bag end the light goes out and nothing happens...HELP

Bill42

That is not how it is supposed to work. Return the item if still under warranty or make a call to Sunbeam Support - they are very helpful.

Thanks Bill42

Features:

• The Foodsaver Controlled Seal VS7850 is an external vacuum sealer that creates a commercial quality vacuum seal for your food - Sunbeam says that it'll keep your food fresh for up to 5 times longer.
  • You can store your compatible FoodSaver rolls within the machine, and use the cutter to cut bags to your desired size, depending on the food item you're sealing.
  • The food sealer has a retractable accessory hose that's makes it easy to seal containers and reusable vacuum zipper bags.
  • A moist food setting in the sealer lets you package more watery foods, helping you keep stews and marinades fresher for longer.
  • This sealer also offers a ‘marinate’ option, which pushes juices into the meat using the pressure of the vacuum.
  • Included with this model are a 28cm roll, 5 pre-cut bags, and 5 reusable vacuum zipper bags.
  • The appliance is made from stainless steel, making for a durable unit that'll last.

Points of praise:

• Most reviewers found that the Foodsaver VS7850 had powerful suction which resulted in compact bags, which helped them save a lot of space in their freezers, refrigerators, and pantries.
  • Reviewers said that they easily packaged a variety of foods using the appliance, including moist foods.
  • They also noted that the unit was easy to use, including the extra features, such as the handheld sealing device.

A point of pain:

• Some reviewers said that the unit took up a lot of kitchen bench space, which sometimes made it inconvenient to store. While the size also means it's suitable to wrap larger foods and quantities, you should consider the size of your kitchen and pantry before purchasing this sealer.
CategoryFood / Vacuum Sealers