Suzuki V-Strom 1000

Suzuki V-Strom 1000

See the Best Enduro Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Ride-on

Ride-onCentral Queensland, QLD

The quiet achiever..

Having just done 17thou klms in one year both as a daily commuter and long distance tourer I'm pretty happy with her.
With just the right mix of accessories to suit whatever riding you look to do the Strom is a great platform to ride with. Strong enough to tour the open road with luggage and with the right tyres she'll take you off the beaten path for those magic camping trips.. Great underrated machine with the usual Suzuki reliability.. If you want to go a bit harder off-road just spend a bit on suspension an she goes fine.

Purchased in November 2018.

Mileage 17,000 km

Sonya 1Central Queensland, QLD

Way better than I expected

I was originally planning to buy an R1200GS , but took one for a long test ride and could really not see what the journalists were on about. It just didn't do anything for me.
Next plan was to try the Africa Twin. Also took it for a test ride but a bit bland and too much like a dirt bike for me.
The same dealer also sold Suzuki and he suggested I give the V Strom 1000 XT a try.
Wow. That was more like it. As a road bike it was way ahead of the Beemer and Honda. I didn't try them off-road as I don't use the bike off-road, so I can't comment on off-road performance.
My riding is mainly on really crap country roads and the V Strom is ideal for eating up big distances in comfort.
I have now travelled just on 10,000 km and still love the bike.

Purchased in August 2018.

josh

joshSydney Surrounds, NSW

Very disappointing, plagued with problems

Purchased in August 2018 for $17,990.00.

Mileage 2,000 km

Claus WMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

a great bike, spend a few dollars an awesome bike

9/2011 model, First, 2 teeth extra on the rear sprocket made a huge difference, so much easier to ride. Partner loves the large seat and the good suspension, and the top box. I up dated the engine using information from Holeshot in the USA, different pipes, air filter box modified/K&N filter and an ECU up graded, it is quick!!, Pirelli Scropion Rally tyres are great, on both dirt and tar

Date PurchasedJun 2014

Luko

LukoSydney

Don't buy the BMW. Buy this instead.

If you're looking at this bike there's a good chance you'e also considering the BMW 1200 GS.
A warning: When you drop your bike (you will, don't kid yourself) the BMW will land on the valve cover and split it open. You will NOT be able to ride the bike home. There have been many instances where people have the factory engine guards and still split the valve covers open. The guard just folds over under all that weight.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Charlie M

Charlie MAdelaide

Excellent package - 2017 Suzuki V Strom 1000 XT

Date PurchasedJan 2018

mike the bike

mike the bike

Great bike when you sort it out.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

Bradj

BradjHunter Region, NSW

Great all-round bike. Good on and off road.

Bought the new DL1000A model. Very comfortable & predictable bike and performs well. Had to spend a few bucks on basic accessories after the initial purchase (centre stand, heated grips, top box and a radiator guard) to finish it off. I have gone away on weekend rides and find the DL is great on the highway or gravel roads. I looked at similar bikes before I bought the DL (Honda & Kawa) and the Suzuki seemed to be the best value for money and had ABS and traction control as standard. Very happy with my purchase and highly recommend this model.

Date PurchasedApr 2016
Parklanda

ParklandaChirnside Park

Great bike , shame about Suzuki's customer service

Purchased DL1000 new in 2009 . Now done 130,000 km Overall a very good bike . Some spare parts way overpriced eg fuel pump almost $1000 footpeg $160. Issue with voltage regulator eventually replaced under warranty ( after being stranded more the 1000km from home twice !)Fuel economy is reasonable generally 350km for 17 lt
Not happy about a warranty claim for fuel pump being denied due to water in the tank and I refused to be robbed by suzuki for the pump.
Fuel pump was cleaned by a friend and is still going strong 90,000 km later

Big MickPaddington

Great Legs. Shame about the Face

hopoz

hopozAU

really comfortable great all rounder

jon
jon

i have a 2002 mod with 182.000 kms, only work done to it cam chain and tensures at 165.000,put a cee bee screen on it and flatter bars

mark.mcconaghy

mark.mcconaghy

paul
paul

Rosco Jasked

Hello all, I recently got a 2017 DL 1000 and am a bit disappointed with the fuel consumption. what sort of mileage do you blokes get please?

Hi Rosco J.
I am probably not a lot of help as I haven't actually calculated the fuel consumption. However if it is at all helpful, I can usually get 400 km + out of a tank on highway use without being careful with the throttle. I usually sit on around 110 km/h on the highway.

Rosco J

thanks Sonya 1, appreciate it. That's definately better than mine. Oh well.......

Claus W

Hi Rosco, The 17 model was updated from my 10 model, google Commander fuel system, there are quite few different types around, I got mine through Hole shot in the States, also change the muffler or whole system. I also change the rear sprocket, I add 2 teeth, which made a lot more pleasant to ride

Billasked

Hi. I`ve had a DL1000 2011 for years and get pretty frustrated with the missing and coughing of the engine at low revs in the first 5 gears .does not seem to happen in top. Has anyone got a solution to this problem apart from fitting a Dyna jet fuel controller which comes from USA? Other than that I love the bike.
Cheers Bill.

Claus W

Hi Bill, yes you will need a fuel controller of some type, I got mine through Holeshot in the US {google it} and then had it dyno tuned.

Bill

Thanks very much Claus,do you know anything about the clutch shudder some DLs have?

grahame Coker

grahame Cokerasked

I have a new V-strom 1000. Im 6ft 7 and i have the higher shield fitted but still im getting the wind banging at by helmet.
Has any one found a solution to this problem?
Ive not had this issue on any other bike. Considering fitting the stock one and just cutting it down to protect the instrument panel from the weather.

Big Mick

Grahame. Dont think fitting the stock screen will help. I fitted the "tall" GIVI screen & set it to the lowest height. Worked a treat for me but i'm only a "midget". I'm only 6 foot

Rob
Rob

Grahame I bought a 650DL ABS (2011 last of the first series). It had the tallest Givi touring screen (fitted to the standard screen bracket) but the buffeting starting at 80K was really horrible. A lot of it was waves of negative pressure against my helmet i.e., ride in the rain and any water on your helmet gets sucked of your visor and smashes into the back of the screen!...weird to watch. There was an adjustment for height (3 positions) but it made no difference (I'm 5'11" but I sit fairly tall b/c I have short legs and the original owner fitted bar risers which make you sit higher). First I fitted a MADSTAD bracket from motorradgarage WA (online) which gives you easy adjustment for both height and angle. It got rid of 95% of the problem with the screen as low as possible and on the most laid back angle. What I am aiming for is for my eye level to be about 3 inches higher than the top of the screen. What completely fixed the buffeting was to add an x-creen to sit on top of the touring screen (i.e., the d-model x-creen which has double joints giving adjustment for height and angle) it works perfectly--I have height and angle adjustment on both the touring screen (via the Madstad) and the x-creen. To be honest I actually prefer clean air of a naked bike but this latest setup is a pretty good next best thing to clean air. So I can duck behind the screen if I need to and if I want to be behind the screen for a whole ride (because of insects or rain) I can quickly adjust the screens up to give me more protection. My only gripe with the x-creen is it had some scratches in the screen--not in the middle of the screen thank god. Apart from the scratches the x-creen is beautifully clear and well made and so I would guess that someone had it out before me and scratched it; so if you get one (I got mine from my local Yamaha/Triumph dealer) get it out on the shop counter and hold it up to bright sunlight before you accept delivery. I also got an x-creen adapter mounting clamp which allows you to fit the x-creen without drilling holes in your screen--for about $50 extra it was worth it I reckon. Hope this helps...Cheers Rob (from Mildura)

sprocket
sprocket

i own a 2018 dl 1000. im only about 175cm. ditched the screen altogether. way less noise. no helmet bob or buffeting. very happy. clean air. i got oversized high bars. brings u back from the cockpit. ditch the mirrors n go smaller or bar ends. stock mirrors contribute to turbulance.

Get an answer from our members and Suzuki representatives