Terri Scheer

Terri Scheer Questions & Answers

8 questions from our users

John Cortie

John Cortieasked

Could I insure my house furniture while it is stored in a shipping container at a secured premise?
Cheers

Terri Scheer
Customer Service S.Terri Scheer

Hi John, Thanks for your question. It would depend on several factors if this would be covered by any of our landlord policies. To discuss your needs please give us on 1800 804 016. We're available from 8:30am - 5pm Monday to Friday. - Mandy

ameliasked

I am wondering why landlords are not using the rental tribunal to make a claim? Then they could obtain an enforcement notice. Could it be that this system also does not work? Talk to your local member if this is the case and send an email to complaints at the tribunal.

San
San

My understanding is that claims that owners try to put through to RTA are directed to QCAT (if it’s in Qld). You have to pay a fee to them and it can take sometime plus you have to appear at the hearing. An Enforcement Order can be achieved if the Claim via QCAT has not been adhered to. It’s all very long winded, time consuming and a lot of paperwork. Renters insurance is far better option; j have gone down both roads. When QCAT allowed the tenants leniency, Terri Scheer paid it instead. You can’t ask for better than that!!!

Fix It
Fix It

I can confirm that the demand by the tribunal for paperwork is extensive, one set of documents to the tribunal, one set to the respondent, one set for yourself. This can be more than 200 pages. It is also long winded and subject to delays and time limits.

ameli

200 pages? Sorry, I have conducted my own case and though it is a pain it is always worth doing. If a landlord has carried out their part of the bargain then the process is quite simple but landlords who would lose use insurance and I guess if shonky landlords want to play that game and you do not mind paying then that's your business. You are sheilding crooked landlords and helping to destroy the lives of honest tenants. I was a housing manager for over 20 years and seen both sides and only a tiny fraction of tenants were a real problem. Do your due dillegence, ensure your properties are in good shape do not rely solely on what agents tell you, check references, do the property inspection and ensure photos are taken. Dont treat tenants like mugs to be milked of their savings.

Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dickyasked

Why would any one use Terry Scheer ????

Dodge
Dodge

Very good question not sure why

Fair Goasked

It would appear that QLD based insurers - Youi Insurance and Terri Scheer (Suncorp) are the worst for paying out claims. Any suggestions ? Thanks

langwarrin
langwarrin

after a weeks fighting for the full amount to be paid i finally got it but i had to fight for it which is wrong

Fair Go

Good on you Langwarrin, that's great news. These two insurers need to be brought to their knees by customers and penalised accordingly. I was glad to see Youi has been fined almost $600,000 in the past 14 months and Terri Scheer should be next on ASIC's list.

Jeff
Jeff

Langwarrin, We have been fighting for 3 months and we have been referred to view the 4 pages of the disclosure on why they will not pay out the claim. It is not justified. We are out of pocket thousands and thinking we had cover when we need to make a claim, they change the rule to suit their needs. Will be taking this further as it seems this is a common occurrence for them and pulling the other 4 policies we have with them and going elsewhere. We shouldn't have to fight when we need to make a claim !

Pawanasked

Hi
I am thinking of buying an invetment property to rent out, but being this is my first time, not sure if I will get tenants for 52 weeks in the year, so wanting to insure for any shortfall of rental income. I called a couple of insurance companies including nrma, they don't insure for rental shortfall. Can anyone suggest me if there is one who serves my purpose. Thank you

Mouchie101
Mouchie101

No. You can’t insure for the short fall. No such thing. You insure for loss of rent if the tenant stops paying rent and property damage etc. But you can’t insure if it doesn’t rent for the full 52 weeks a year

Pawan

Thank you so much for your help. At least I know where I stand now. I also understand that as an investor we need to take some level of risk, and this is one of them. I did google this matter and I found similar response. I hope this blog will help other investors too. Thank you once again.

Lugarno91

Lugarno91asked

Hi all the good people out there!
We are in the market to find a good insurance company for our investment property, this is our retirement so we would make sure nothing can go wrong.
Our investment building is a complete block of units of 8 off 2 bedroom units. The block is not strata titled (the entire block comes under one tittle).
Would you know any good insurance company who would provide Building/Content/Landlord insurance for such block? I know companies such as AAMI, NRMA, etc. would not provide the insurance cover for this.
Thank you!
Howard

Happy Camp
Happy Camp

Look at getting a discount by doing the units separately. Try to then pay them separately across the year. Good luck.

bwprice

bwpriceasked

Hey [name removed],

I've just been reading through the PDS from Terri Scheer relatively recently as I am in the market for some building and contents and landlord insurance.

I was just wondering if the amount they paid out was only $500 and if you had building insurance with them as well as landlord insurance? They have 2 different PDS forms for building & contents and then landlord insurance. Throughout both documents I did think they had a lot of clauses that would make it questionable of them paying up even with honest claims.

Because I read 2 PDS documents that were very similar I might have this confused but I think with the building insurance covers damage by tenants up to $60,000 but the landlord insurance only covers up to $500 for damages by tenants. I think I could be totally wrong though as I just tried to skim through the document and find it again but couldn't. If you had building & contents insurance as well though than this would prove me wrong quite quickly.

fredanglo
fredanglo

We were about to obtain Landlord Insurance with Terri Scheer but after reading the reviews, we are saving potential heartache and go to another insurance company and similar to cover and premium but better reviews.

arik.ng

arik.ngasked

Did you have a property cover? any damages to the property should be claimed against the property cover.
Landlord policy only limited to Loss of rents, i think.

gabebrisbane
gabebrisbane

Many Landlord policies cover loss of rent as well as damage to the property. Terri Scheer and Suncorp include both. I'm sure many others do as well. This is from the Terri Scheer site:
Provides cover for:
Accidental loss or damage
Deliberate damage
Malicious damage
Flood
Storm or rainwater
Water damage
Fire or explosion
Unfortunately, Terri Scheer gave our Property Manager the impression that our claim was within the the scope of the cover. It took months to discover that this was not the case.
Hope this helps.