Tumbleweed 220L Compost Tumbler

Tumbleweed 220L Compost Tumbler

Excellent for the price

It's not perfect but for the price it's been excellent. If it gets loaded up I guess it would be heavy for a woman or and older person to tumble but it's nothing for an able bodied man. For those with cracking plastic I would suggest keeping it out of the direct sunlight if possible. I'd also suggest tilting it to the horizontal to get the compost out. I'm getting to old to remember when I bought it but it's been a few years.

Date PurchasedJan 2014

Does not last long

The brackets cannot take the weight of the compost. Becomes very heavy to turn and after not that long the metal brackets started to bend and break. All I have left is the bin. Pretty disappointing for a $200 composter. I would not purchase this again. I bought two and they both suffered the same fate.

Date PurchasedJan 2013

Disappointed in this Australian Made Product

Have had this tumbler for many years, but the only original part is the stand. The plastic barrel has been replaced a number of times. Disappointed that it has such a short life span - thickness of axle point material is inadequate leading to cracking. It is difficult to remove compost with the bin so close to the ground. Once again the axle point has had a home repair attempted, but would not buy this bin again.

Hard to use and cracking after 12 months

I agree with the previous reviewer that it is very hard to tumble after it starts filling up. She is also right in that its very hard to extract the compost as its so close to the ground.
Mine has also just started to crack near the top where the lid connects and no surprise its out of warranty after 12 months. Not good enough for a $200 product!

A great Product

I have had one for 16 years & love it once I got used to it. It is of utmost importance to get the carbon balance right or you will just have a load of foul smelling wet gunk, that is too heavy to turn! It must be layered with 1. kitchen scraps/garden clippings, 2. shredded paper/cardboard, 3. manure, 4. straw, repeat. If the balance is right it is easy to turn, it's when it is too wet that it is too heavy to turn, it is not designed just for kitchen scraps or garden clippings, add more paper/straw. Needs to be turned few rotations every 2-4 days. If the lid becomes difficult to turn, use 2 cutlery knives to slip in the opposite slots, use these as levers to turn the lid. Easiest to open & close the lid when heat has built up late in the day. To empty, I scoop out with metal garden scoop, once it gets beyond reach, just tip it over so the bottom compost comes up the sides or lay a small tarp underneath & tip it out! I have not had a problem with rusting, continual use for 16 years! Have had a few black compost bins that never worked, this is awesome in comparison. 56 year old woman!

Works well so far!

We've only had this bin for a couple of weeks, but I found assembly easy and I don't have any problems tumbling it (I'm a 5'3" 29-year-old woman) - we've put about 30L from the kitchen in it so far. I can see how people would find it heavy, but I also imagine that hand-forking any compost pile would require a lot more strength and effort than this tumbler.

I will update my review in a few months depending on further experience, but right now the bin hasn't yet filled up so I can't speak to the difficulty of turning it when full or the durability of the materials.

It DOES NOT work!

This compost tumbler does not work as it is supposed to do. 1. When it is half full with green kitchen waste, it is so heavy I cannot tumble it. I needed both my husband and my son to tumble it together. 2. To get the compost out of the bin is a challenge! The compost is not reachable by opening the top cover. The bottom cover is so close to the ground, it's hard to get the compost out. I wonder if it has been trial and tested by a woman gardener! No, I won't recommend this product, esp to a fellow woman gardener.

A good product, but could be better

I have two of these and a compost bin, turning over a lot of garden mulch every couple of months. Today the supporting bottom part of the legs collapsed when I tried to turn the bin and the thing collapsed with a full load of heavy compost. On examining it, the bottom V rails had rusted. Since these things tend to sit in damp soil/compost it is not surprising. If I were to get another one, I would put a coat of rust resistant paint on the supporting V rails before assembling. I checked the website and it was $71 for replacement legs. Instead I cut off the rusted parts and drilled holes in a couple of old wooden logs and pounded them in. It works fine now and I should get a couple more years out of it. I noticed that the screws holding the top and bottom plastic bins together are rusting too so I expect the next problem will be replacing them.

Re the quality of the compost, what you put in determines that. I don't turn the bins as often as they say to because I find it can be hard on the arms and hands. If the tumbler is full they turn much more easily as the load seems better balanced. I empty them about once every 2 months once the compost stops smelling and breaks down, and distribute the compost between my worm farm and standing compost bin for further break-down.

Composting is a commitment and a chore. This item works as well as any that I have used, but it was annoying to have it collapse on me due to rusting legs.