Volkswagen Amarok

2H.I, 2H.II

60 questions from our users

Kt Wasked

Amarok

Anyone know how to get the damn third brake light on a 2012 tdi400 off?

Phil

Philasked

Amarok

Hi I have an 2011 amarok, I'm having problems with the cruise control and the 4wd none of them will engage its after being to 4 different mechanics and none of them can sort it just wondering has anyone ever experienced this??

andy s.asked

Amarok

I have bought a new highline black edition VW amarok (my20) 3 weeks ago and decided to upgrade the car with new wheels/rims/lift kit from autocraze in Sydney. As soon as the job was finished, the car developed a quite loud knocking sound coming from the front left wheel area. The noise only occurs under acceleration (not coasting or braking) and gets faster with rpm. The guys at autocraze have now spent 2 days pulling everything they touched off, reinstalling the car as factory and have been unable to identify the problem and can’t see any signs of damage. The car looks a million $ and is brand new but now sounds like a 20yo paddock basher. It is booked in to have VW see if they can identify the cause but wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

grant
grant

you've probably done a CV as the lift kit changes the angle of the front driveshafts, and will need a new CV joint. If you put the lift back on make sure you do a diff-drop at the same time (quite inexpensive.)

andy s.

Thanks Grant, much appreciated! I ended up having to go back to VW to get the issue diagnosed for autocraze who came back with that diagnosis exactly. Pretty disappointing that a 4wd specialist wasn't able to pick that up themselves... Now my only concern is if there has been damage to the CV joint that I may not see for a while, but will likely present itself at the worst possible time (ie in the middle of nowhere!) No visible damage to the CV joint boot but I would be amazed if the sound it made hasn't affected something somewhere!

Roelof B.

Roelof B.asked

Amarok

2.0 biturbo 4motion auto .. sometimes when I accelerate quick from first gear it cuts completely and then continues. Any ideas?

Brendan W.

Brendan W.asked

Amarok

Has anyone got problems with headlight and parker globes blowing?
I've done 53,000 kms and have replaced 5 globes. 2019 V6 amarok.

Kt W

I just replaced my parker bulb today and 5 minutes later it went again. Not happy. 2012 model but seeming like an Amarok issue.

David Casked

Amarok

am i able to change my wheels from 16inch to 19inch on my 2015 amorok without any problem with my speedo

Yang H.
Yang H.

it also depends on the size of new tyres you put on 19inch.
if you put on new tyres with smaller aspect, you should be fine

Thanks you for that

Mubarak P.

Mubarak P.asked

Amarok

Is it good car amarok tsi 2.0 2012 model?

The nurse
The nurse

Mine has got to 98000Klm. So far, the brakes needed to be changed discs and pads. VW charge like wounded bull to change. Idler/tensioner pulley about to fail, changed at same time. I have the manual 6spd. Drops out of gear in 5th and 6th towing along highway. I'm told by VW that nothing is wrong with vehicle as they couldn't get it to fault. It stalls in 1st gear and doing steep off-road work, in tight corners etc. Auto is very flat on acceleration, don't expect great things. Goes well on highway. Just had alternator go at 98000Klm as well. Ford Ranger would definitely serve you better. Look into Landrover V6TDI if you have the $$$. Much better vehicle, if you don't especially need a utility or trayback. Good luck mate.

Arthur A.

Arthur A.asked

Amarok

Has anyone had issues on Amaroks with water getting into tail lights and causing extensive damage, becoming dangerous to drive by going into limp mode or cutting out, and ridiculous quotations to repair?

Udo F.

I HAVEN'T.I have other serious problems and have huge issues dealing with them.

Hoesein E.

before having fun with an Amarok , prepare the car !!! put on breather-kits on the gearbox and axles . isolate wiring as much as possible . these cars (standard ) are NOT for off-road ! a simple toyota hilux from the 90's is better prepared , has it's own breathers , is better protected to drive in high waters/dirt/off-road.
I've seen these problems with the amarok .....only a couple a hundreds kilometers , and the box completely destroyed.

Paul

Paulasked

Amarok

Are the lights the same on a 2015 and 2018 Amarok and can you put the LED lights in the 2015 model

Tom h

Tom hasked

Amarok

How many people out there have an v6 amarok that gets very hot towing caravans in the 2-3 ton range. This only occurs on fairly steep climbs but can go from normal (about 90) to 110 to 115 in about one minute. the ambient temperature seems to have minimal effect on this problem. I have had the company line from vw stating the bull-bar is the issue. Other v6 amaroks with bull-bars l know of have never had any issues towing

Udo F.

I have not had any water temperature problems towing a 2.4 tonne van 90 constantly

Ray
Ray

I've had the exact same problem with our 2017 V6 ultimate. The water temperature will rise to 100-105 degrees, but the oil temperature rises to over 130 degrees. It seems to happen when transmission drops back to 7th on a climb. When I've had a little more speed, kept in 8th and allowed it to slow up a climb [not burying the foot], it doesn't rise. VW have checked it and said it is all ok. I know the TDi 580 has a larger cooling system, but am also aware that the 550 doesn't have a trans oil cooler [and the trans is a weak link]. Am looking at fitting an aftermarket cooler.

Adam

Adamasked

2ltr Amarok auto or manual thanks Adam

Kt W

I love my manual Amarok... I see a lot of reviews of autos and they’re not great. But then again, I’m bias! I love manual... I’d never go auto, especially in a 4x4. What a waste of opportunity.

Michelle K

Michelle Kasked

Amarok

2018 Volkswagen Amarok TDI420 Core Plus - Purchased vehicle at 310km's April'19 it has now done 3000km's June'19 and fault light keeps coming on and gets stuck in 3rd gear and goes into limp mode. VW Service team found wire wasn't connected in the fuse box, body earth was not properly connected and body control module was replaced - this was a brand new car. After everything replaced and fixed, Volkswagen says can't find fault but the issues are still happening but now are not showing up in the history when back at Volkswagen, while VW have dismissed my issues stating nothing wrong. Has anyone else had the same issues as so disappointed with the Amarok and feel very unsafe considering the car goes into limp mode.

Lyn M
Lyn M

Amarok 2014 similar issues. VW say might be mecatronics $6000 then might also be transmission a further $12800. VW won't take responsibility. Recall on Audi and VW transmission but Amarok not included. Sounds like the same issues.

Warwick W.
Warwick W.

I have 18700 km on my car at 200 km does the timing belt have to be done again

Hoesein E.

there are 2 ground-cables in the engine compartment , at the back of the headlights , these ground-cables have an isolation ,which is an disturbance in the contact with the body , triggering warnings . you have to remove these isolation pieces of plastic so there can be normal contact . after clearing the faults with a scanner ,things should be normal.

Frankly Speaking

Frankly Speakingasked

Amarok

Can anyone make some recommendations on size and weights of caravan suitable for towing with 2 liter Amarok dual cab auto 2015. Looking at over all performance.
Thank you.

Dawn

It depends which model but with the factory towbar is 2.8 to 3 tonne.the towbar down weight is 250 kilos,depending on which towbar is fitted.
We have been towing a 2.2 tonne Kimberly Karavan for thousand of kilometres while outback and have had no problems.Averaging 15 litres per 100 kilometres.

Frankly Speaking

Frankly Speakingasked

Hi.
Love my 2 lt Highline. Just over 12 months driving it. Have not towed anything yet. Looking at a caravan for some trips. Anyone using this size auto vehicle for towing long distances? Looking at van around the 2000 kg weight. I would appreciate any replies. Thanks.

Paul R

Paul Rasked

Has anyone had brake failure in there 2017 amarok Mine failed only done 70000ks

Dawn

Hi.I have had 2 Amaroks over a seven year period.I have never had a brake failure.The only problem was with the earlier model because it had drums on the back and they can be squeaky.

Andrew Murdoch
Andrew Murdoch

I,ve had 2 also. Not a problem except for the drivers seat fabric starting coming apart which they replaced on current one.
I thought I read somewhere that the dealer checked your amarok and found nothing wrong. Possible oil spill or ice on the road would confuse the system.

Paul R

Paul Rasked

Amarok

Hi. I have 2017 amrock 2ltr has anyone had any problems with there brakes. Mine failed the other day only 70000 on the clock. Vw carnt find any problems with it now I am a bit worried about driving it now

Djp

Djpasked

Amarok

Does anyone know how to remove the front propshaft in a Amarok auto 2012?

Michael W.asked

Clunking into reverse. 8 speed auto 2014 amarok

Nick B
Nick B

My 2018 Amarok V6 after 21000km needs a new Auto Gearbox. Volkswagen say it had water in it and refuses to replace it under warranty. I don't see how water can get in it as its a fully sealed unit accept for a breather. There is no evidence my vehicle has been submerged according to service manager. Do now I am going to Office of Fair Trading. Very dissapointed with VW response

Hi Nick,
I’m having the exact same issue. Water in transmission, gearbox stuff. 30,000km 18months old never been off road.
Have you had any luck sorting it out??
Cheers
Wes

Michael W.

Had a wheel sensor replaced. Not sure if related but hasnt done since. Also making sire i dont shift into reverse before display says park and not the initial mfi reading

clint d.

clint d.asked

Amarok

Can anybody who has an Amarok with a transmission that has failed due to water in the tail light please contact me.....the fact that water can travel through the loom to the transmission control module seems not to be unexpected according to VW who refuse to take any responsibility at all for this problem....water in a tail light = $16000 repair bill!!!

Josh
Josh

Hi Clint,

Checkout the ausamarok forum (google it). Join up and ask your question there mate. I’m sure you will find the answer there.

Wes E.

Hi Clint, can you please give some more info on this. My transmission had water in it, so stuff gear box. Speacil VW tech came to inspect my car at dealer service and first thing he ask was to inspect tails lights for water !!!
Cheers
Wes

Michael W.

Seems to be a factory problem here. I suspect mine is on its way.

Charlie H.

Charlie H.asked

Hi,

I am looking at buying an Amarok. A nearby seller has a 2012 diesel Highline for sale with only 75'000km on it advertised for $25'500. Do you guys think this is a fair price? Is there any else I should know about this year and model?

Thanks in advance.

Kt W

It’s reasonable but people generally ask a little higher than the price they expect to get so I’d say negotiate. But I just purchased one with 167000 km for 17k. Asking price was 18.5k and I feel it’s a great buy. But it depends I’m on it’s history, previous owner/a, condition, etc. But I love mine. So glad I bought it.

Kt W

If you look up the rego number it’ll tell you the private and dealer price range in the current market.

Other Utes