Westinghouse WCM1400WD / WCM2000WD / WCM2900WD

Westinghouse WCM1400WD / WCM2000WD / WCM2900WD

WCM1400WD, WCM2000WD and WCM2900WD

Westinghouse Chest Freezer

Great size family freezer, loads of room plus a basket. We had an old Tuckerbox freezer which was great, but used a lot of energy. This one uses much less, has just as much capacity, is light weight (easy for cleaning), has an external drain, and takes up less space. All this under $350. Love it.

Very quiet, does what it says. Needs more baskets.

This is a very very quiet unit, it sits in my garage anyway, but wow, don't even hear a hum when it is running. Size-wise, is what it is, says 200L you get 200L, I guess it is all in the name.

Comes with one basket, definitely needs more if you want to buy two more baskets you'll be up for nearly another $100 though so they get you there and you don't have the option to buy as an additional accessory from your retailer.

It says that it is not frost-free, and it certainly lives up to its name though, mine started frosting on the side almost immediately if you have vac sealed food that is best. If you don't well you will see a lot of ice start to form inside your food containers or on your food in bags. My plastic containers are beginning to look like the trailer from Frozen. Can't complain about it too much though because it never claimed to be frost-free.

Loses a star for only having one basket and additional baskets being so expensive, plus frosting so fast means ill probably be defrosting regularly.

Purchased in June 2019 at Appliances Online for $376.00.

Excellent chest freezer for a decent price !

Have decided to stock up and buy my frozen food in bulk and my fridge freezer combo at the moment just wasn't big enough so bit the bullet and decided to purchase a stand alone chest freezer , was slightly concerned about the upcoming power bill , to my amazement the power bill was no different to the one before purchasing this freezer , is whisper quiet and has a decent internal volume

Love it!

Pros - Great size. I use it to store pre-made meals and it is fantastic for buying meat or other foods in bulk when on special. For a family of 5 it is a perfect size. Have had ours 8 months already and only needing to do a defrost now. It was recommended every 6 months so I'm happy about how good it's gone frost free. Haven't noticed much of an increase in the powerbill.
Cons- Door takes a good 10-15mins before it can be re-opened but this isn't a problem for me.

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Great small freezer

This size freezer a good accompaniment to my upright model, also a Westinghouse. We live outside town, and do a weekly shop. It is quiet and economical, holds sufficient food for my family and I can freeze leftovers when I make too much. Will also allow me to cater for parties when I make food ahead for the occasion.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Compact Freezer for those that live in apartements.

Bought this freezer after having left behind the Fisher and Paykel freezer which I had back in Perth Western Australia. As someone who prefers to buy things in bulk and just store in the freezer, I was always annoyed when I bought stuff and found that my regular Fridge's freezer compartment was always too small to accommodate the things that I bought. So I did some research and compromised on this one due to the little space that it uses especially when it comes apartment living. So far so good. Does the work well. The suction caps can be quite inflexible but I guess that's the beautiful thing about it as it will stop air from leaking out and help with reducing those power bills. Would I recommend it to anyone? Yes definitely!

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Loads of space

This freezer is just great for us (small family of three) it can hold 6 loaves of bread easily without taking up much of its huge space. 2Lt ice cream blocks, no problem. We keep ours in the garage as a second freezer for bulky items. The only annoying thing about it is that once you open the lid and close it again, the suction is so strong that you can not open the freezer again for about 15 minutes. I tried to open it many times and find that the whole freezer will lift off the floor before it will release the lid. If you forget to get something out then you are pretty much stumped for the next 15 mins until it decides to let you back in. Other than that, it has worked perfectly for the 18 months that we have had it. Very pleased with the freezer but I will admit to yelling at it sometimes when I find I'm locked out.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

Great for additional space

We use this for additional freezer space as our integrated drawer freezer doesn't have a lot of room for bulk orders of bread, meat, etc. The chest freezer is quiet, seals well, and has more than enough space for a two-person household.
One thing to note is that, because it's not frost-free, this isn't ideal if you're opening it every day. We only open it once or twice a week and have still had to defrost it twice in under a year. That said, the plastic scraper it comes with works great, and it doesn't take long to get all the ice out.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

I bought this freezer to replace an older fridge to house my home brew fermentation vessel using an external thermostat. It works an absolute treat, have not run into the problem of sticking door seal like others have stated. It's not frost free but doesn't affect me because I turn it off when not in use.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Supports a great deal of space, and is ideal for any small to Medium family. Maintains a constant temperature and is quiet. The seal seems to be rugged and should cope with regular lifting. So far it hasn't needed any defrosting, as our old Tuckerbox required. Our previous Haier had just broken down, and we missed out on the Aldi unit, which was far cheaper.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Great freezer but lid can be hard to open

Purchased the freezer and it has been fine but when it is empty and you have recently opened the lid, it creates a suction effect making it impossible to open the lid until you wait for a while. Having less of an issue with this now that it has heavier food in there. Apart from that, it looks good and is keeping my food cold.

Date PurchasedOct 2016

Excellent Product

I purchased this freezer four months ago. So far it has worked well. It runs quietly. It freezes at the manufacturer-recommened setting to -19C, slightly colder than the minimum -18C required for frozen food storage. It has a good design and the interior is roomy. The freezer seal functions as designed and described by Westinghouse in the user's manual that is supplied with the freezer. The freezer did not made any noticeable difference to the last power bill, but time is needed for a more accurate assessment of electricity costs. I recommend this product given it's consistent performance and reliability. The only negative is by way of a suggestion to Westinghouse: another basket would be useful. You have outdone yourselves regarding inflated pricing for extra and replacement baskets for this product.

Date PurchasedNov 2016

Happy with freezer

We are very happy with this freezer after having to return another brand to a different store as the lid could not seal properly and then it started to smell. This freezer has a heavier lid and seals properly and you know air cannot escape, so no extra money wasted on electricity bills. This lid also opens easily enough, even after just opening it. I have not found any problems with opening the lid and it sticking close - I live in the tropics and it is summer time. It is quiet with only a slight click when the motor kicks in and then it is quiet again. I would love to see an interior light as I had gotten use to one with our now deceased Fisher & Paykel. It would also be nice to have those extra lights that tell you when it is freezing etc. But, hey, we are very happy with this freezer and Harvey Norman gave us an exceptional deal. Great value for its money and it does what it is advertised to do - which is freeze and seals in the cold air.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Burns everything in it within hours.

Hubby and i bought this freezer on sale from HN's about the middle of the year. It's a 219L chest freezer and it's about the size we needed as we live remotely.
After getting it home we were pretty impressed with how well it was running and how we can never ever hear it. Except for it's size, you'd never even know you've got a freezer running.

We stocked the freezer with out weekly/monthly shops of meats, complete meals, zip lock bags of dog foods and chinese containers of freshly made soup.
To our disgust, within 1-2 days ALL the meat was freezer burned so badly we had to use it for dog food. That is, over $200 worth of beef and chicken. Even the ice cream is ruined.

We turned the freezer down and the same thing continues to happen even on it's lowest possible setting. We are constantly losing $ on meals and meats put in there and we've tried stocking it more, layering the foods differently, using the hanging baskets differently, double bagging the meats, lining the floor with the soup containers etc etc. the list goes on. Regardless of what we try this blooding freezer keeps sucking the moisture out of already sealed bags/containers!

The freezer is not sealing properly either, its sporadic at best. Sometimes it does suction closed and stay like that if you try to open it again, you can't. (like all good quality freezers) however 90% of the time, the seal is so light it's like its only the weight of the lid actually making it close. Its easily opened with 1 finger! Again, we have messed around with the positioning of the cages inside it and have no good results, its just hit and miss.

We are currently trying to contact Westinghouse to see if this is a known issue or if we are doing something wrong but i highly doubt that. Pending their reply i think i will be selling this freezer and going back to a fisher and paykel with which we never had any issues.

DO NOT BUY!

Date PurchasedJun 2016
Hi Hethr, Kathy from Electrolux here. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have raised about the Westnghouse Freezer model WCM2900WD. If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact me at customercare@electrolux.com.au attention Kathy Thanks KathyI spoke with Electrolux on the phone and the woman (who barely spoke any english and had great difficulty understanding what i was trying to tell her. I also could not understand her either because of her incredibly thick indian? accent) told me i would need to arrange for an inspector/tradie to travel to me to look at the freezer, however if he didn't see anything immediately wrong with it i would have to pay for his time and travel. I live 2 hours from anywhere and tradies never charge less than $50 an hour so paying for that wasn't something i was willing to do. We have since filled the freezer with 2x 25kg bags of dry dog food and it's slowed down how much it burns the food to an acceptable level. However i'm still not impressed that I've had to do that. Basically give up 3/4 of the entire freezer in an effort to stop it destroying my food.

Failed on the 1st week

Bought this a week ago and it stopped working. They couldn't fix it and I am still waiting for westinghouse/electrolux to get back to me on a solution. My full load of frozen food is now going into the bin. Thought a branded product will not fail me that soon, should have bought a less known brand for lesser price instead

Date PurchasedJul 2016
Hi Evox Linda from Electrolux here. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have raised about the freezer. If you wish to discuss this further please feel free to contact me at customercare@electrolux.com.au attention Linda ThanksHi Linda Your company is a joke. i have been in touched with your team since yesterday morning and was promised a call back within the day. Nobody called, and i called back again and requested to speak with a supervisor and Denise told me that they cannot give me an answer today and will have to wait till tomorrow. Is that helpful? i then called appliances online/electro seconds and within 5 minutes, hassle free they arrange for a new replacement to be sent out to me today. This is what after sales service should be, a big company like yours should learn from them. Your team as the main supplier can't even decide on a plan for your customers and have them wait while their frozen items melts off to the bin...improve on customer service. I don't write much reviews, but i want everyone to know about your bad service and how well you did in not helping your customers out! Shame on you Westinghouse/electrolux.

Does exactly what it is supposed to do

Bought the Westinghouse after returning not just one but two Hisense units. The Hisense chest freezers both had faulty seal rims (dips in the the actual plastic moulding that were too deep for the seal to close off), causing excess ice build up. Both Hisense units also made an unpleasant gas type odour which left me feeling unwell after a few hours in the same room.

The 200L Westinghouse is clearly a better quality unit with a perfectly straight/flat seal rim and a much larger, more solid seal. There is no odour and the unit does not run as often. Should have saved myself some trouble and spent the extra $70 on the Westinghouse at the outset.

Westinghouse 200L Chest Freezer

Ordered a Westinghouse 200L Freezer from the Osborne Park Harvey Norman store. I asked over the phone if they would unpack it and set it up and they said they don't set it up as all I need to do is turn the power on. They told me they would unpack it though.

They just dropped it off and didn't unpack it.

Can't believe it.

Will be contacting Harvey Norman Osborne Park to either come back and unpack like what I paid for or get a refund and buy it elsewhere.

I was looking forward to placing all the food that was just delivered and now can't even put it in the unit.
Bought A Westinghouse 420l Fridge from them and that has been great and they set that one up but not this.

No doubt they've done it so when I phone they will say that is an extra cost.

At this stage I can't rate the fridge so I've put 3 stars. I assume it will be as good as our Westinghouse fridge is.

Been on the phone with them and they are going to send someone around to unpack it. When they went around the side I thought they were going back to get clippers to unpack he packaging like they did when they delivered the fridge but this time they drove away. When I was on the phone they asked how old I was. I said 51 and then the sales rep screamed out saying he's 51. What does this have to do with anything. How rude. They make out its the customers fault. It should be standard to unpack anything that is delivered if its what you asked for when ordering in the first place. Anyway I hope to have it up and going by later today. Food not likely to survive:( I'll do a review in a few days and then another in a month. If nothing goes wrong in the first month then its likely to last years.They came back out and set it up. The unit only has 1 basket at the top which is about a foot wide and very tiny. Would have expected the unit to have baskets along the top and below so one can reach down and pick up what ever is below. This is very disappointing unit. If it had baskets it would be perfect. The unit is to deep to bend over to have anything at the base. Very disappointing. Sure it will freeze ok. If buying get them to unpack and don't sign anything until its unpacked. I'd give it 1 star because of the lack of baskets.AVOID this fridge. Had it on 30 mins and its impossible to open the freezer door. When I try all I do is lift the freezer off the ground and still it won't open. It goes back for a refund. These are crap!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry for swearing but why were these not tested before being sent out. Read that some others find it hard to open the top lid.

Why has the green light on my w/h deep frezer changed from green to red?
I am sure if it is red it is for danger, and best to get professional advice. A freezer full of food is no small cost. Is the top down securely? Are there any items above the top causing the lid to stay up. Has the top has been left partly open /power cut. Although with lid closed properly food takes over 20 hours to defrost, but is safe to cook and eat but not to refreeze. If the red light has been on for some time maybe the Westinghouse website it the better authority. If it is only being started from new or having been turned off for some time it isn't automatically up to freezing point, red light,- when correct freezing temp reached turns green.Its full of crisco atm. Lights been red for about week and a hlf. Im going to take everyhing out defost and start again i think. Thanks for your time

Can this be used to keep cans of drink cool without freezing?
Nope. It's a freezer.It is a freezer Don, and can will probably explode if left inside too long. I suppose like any freezer you could put the can in and cool it but consequence if you left it overnight, or too long.

The little green cooling light turns on & off, is it supposed to? Chest freezer, Model number is wcm2000wd.
The green light comes on when the freezer is running. When the temp goes up the light comes on so you know it is working. If the light is on continually, could mean the desired temp has not been reached, but once it reaches the required temp it should go off. Depending on the heat of the day it may come on more frequently to maintain the freezing temp.

Westinghouse WCM1400WDWestinghouse WCM2000WDWestinghouse WCM2900WD