3.5

60% · 95 · 33%

Paul T.
Paul T.2 posts

Good reliable donk

I have a 2009 Yamaha CV 30 on my Quintrex 385 Explorer. Bought 2nd hand and find it very reliable. Economy is what you would expect from a 2 stroke but as I said , the motor is reliable and that is waht I need using it in seriously remote waters on the west coast of Gulf of Carpentaria, Far North Queensland, Australia. On a good day, have no issues taking the rig 10-15 km offshore . Easily cruise all day at about 38km/h. Does go OK trolling at idle or just above but prefer to use my Minnkota trolling motor. Show details
kierand
kierandSouth East Queensland, QLD8 posts

Thirsty rough 2 stroke

I've just bought a second hand Stesco Catcher 4.2 with one of these on the back (2012 model) and I'm far from impressed when comparing to my old boat's outboard (2013 Tohatsu 30hp 2 stroke). First time on the water after idling for a minute I tried to open her up when it coughs and spits for about 30 seconds, but worse still it drinks petrol like it was designed by a oil baron! I'm unable to get any better than 1 nautical mile for 1 litre and that's taking it easy going 2/3 - 3/4 throttle which is about twice as much as the old Tohatsu managed! Show details
Chubby
Chubby

Yamaha CV30

I purchased my cv30 in 2018 it is a 2012 mod, it was running rough on cold start and did take time to run without coughing and spluttering as if it was way to rich. So i decided to get my marine mechanic to have a look. He said best to tune on the water, so we did and he found the fuel mixture screw needed to be leaned out as it was running way too rich. He turned in the screw almost 1 full turn which he said is alot.Now the motor runs smoother without coughing and spluttering and less noise when flushing at home. I Believe this has been like this from new like many other cases and just simply needed a good mechanic to resolve the minor problem.My motor is now a joy to use and has plenty of grunt.

craig
craig7 posts

bill
billlake maquarie4 posts

fantastic little engine

I have a cv 30 and have found it to be a very powerful and economical little engine. My 2009 model has never let me down. With regular gear oil changes and a good flushing after each saltwater run this engine will continue to serve me well into the future. .p.s .still looks and goes like new.

Darc
Darc

Excellent motor

Economical,plenty of power . Never let me down in 16years. Regular water pump and gear case maintenance,flushing and washing down after use and these motors are gems! Apparently the 3cylinder versions are smoother running but heavier and more expensive and the 4strokes also heavier and much more expensive .2stroke any day!

Joe
Joe

Issues with gear box

I have had this motor in the shop 2 years running first the dog clutch broke, now this year the pinion gear the internal teeth have been chewed out after they have replaced with the new box not more than 12 months ago.

I now have the issue with Yamaha Australia on not giving me the repair warranty on this issue, saying this is not a Manufacturing issue as they have never come across this before and are not willing to give me a replacement. I am over the Yamaha Outboard 30 hp Cv which will only be 4 years this March.

david
david

great motor

30cv Yamaha is a great motor.Yes misses on first take off-I don't care.It is reliable, light and can trust it when along way from a dealer.Put oil in tank and pull cord.one carby which bets the 30 3 cylinder, 3 carby when you get sold dirty fuel in the gulf and need to only pull 1 carby apart.Great on fuel and indistructable.

When towing a skier, run up to speed, then pull up next to skier, throw them the rope and go-no problems.

Dazza
DazzaSouth East Queensland, QLD27 posts

Very powerful

Very fast,dealer was straight to the point in saying if your a bottom basher it's perfect for you,holds the plane at just over1/4 throttle. Dealer said these engines love to be run flatout.Engine is hard to steer,does foul plugs after 10mins on idle,comes good after a flogging.

Show 2 replies

Lukey
LukeyGladstone

Love my cv

Had mine for 7years, never fouled plugs idles for as long as I want and pulls me out of the hole like no tomorrow, I have it on a 4m stessl and I love it!!

Ken
KenRobinvale18 posts

Great CV30

Have just purchased a Quintrex explorer 390, Yamaha 30CV outboard package, Have run 2 tanks of 25:1 pre mix fuel through it with very little smoke and are now starting to run it on 100:1. We did a great run 80+ km up the Murray river to run it in had no problem with starting, idling or after a short while running it at full plain. After looking for ages for a good used boat we went for this package from Sunraysia Marine at Mildura for its great value very good utility boat for fishing, skipping along the river or navigating through creeks etc.

Ken
Value

MattSouth East Queensland, QLD16 posts

Be warned

The motor does what it needs to do at high revs. However, at low revs it'll oil the plugs after about a minute of idling. I run mine at 100:1 fuel:oil as the manual says. It's so annoying because just when you need full power to pull onto the plane, the motor will cough and splutter and carry on. My lawn mower at home is a two stroke and it doesn't have this issue. My dirt bikes were two strokes and they didn't have this issue. I'm thinking of taking it back to the dealer and getting my money back. I don't think this motor does what a motor is reasonably expected to do.
Small, light, able to be carried by one (strong) person.
Oils plugs badly
Poor choiceNEWCASTLE2 posts

Don't buy the cv 2cylinder

Absolute lemon of a motor I have replaced 4 sets of plugs in 9 tanks of fuel since new .the dealer &service agent have not been able to fix the problem.They have told me the motor is not designed to cope with low revs after 10 minutes at 6 knots it starts to foul up. It's hard to start It & has proved to be totally unreliable I am trading the motor.

Unreliable hard to start

Defiance
DefianceAU4 posts

Max1995
Max1995AU2 posts

Power ?

It is on a paka craft 3.8 with a maximum rating of 25 hp yet it can barely plain 2 people despite it is running a 9 inch prop (shortest pitch available) and it has to run flat out or it will fall off the plain. The starter motor has already buggered itself as well.Cranking it manually is easy though and it usually starts first pull.
Easy starter
heavy on petrol, lack of power, very loud and noisy

lindsay.warry
lindsay.warry

My partners 4.2 Mtr Tinny had had water in the fuel of her 2 cyl CV30 and need a good clean out. So I emptied and cleaned out the fuel tank, fuel lines and filter and sprayed carby cleaner through it for good measure. We took the Boat out and could not get it up on the plane, Then I took it back to shore as I thought throttle needed adjustment so I adjusted the 2 throttle Cables and went back out again. The boat went a bit faster but still not able to get on the plane even at full throttle, I had another look at the carby and even though the cables are adjusted fully there is still a slight bit of movement with the linkage at the carby that is not achieving full throttle.
Is there another issue here or any suggestions I could have to remedy this lack of power, Thanks in advance.

Blake N.
Blake N.

how much would it cost and does it come in a sort leg

bruno silverii

it is so hard to start pulling it is very hard

bruno silverii

I just buy a boat with a Yamaha 30 hp cv 2 stroke and it is very hard tu pull the cord to start it is normal?