Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400

Yamaha MusicCast BAR 400

4.0 from 1 review

This Is A Good Soundbar, Just Not A Great One

Don't get me wrong this is a good soundbar, but I guess that I expected a bit more from it than it has delivered. I have several other Yamaha MusicCast devices and they all do a great job but this soundbar just didn't live up to the standard set by the other components. It has all of the flexibility of all MusicCast devices - Bluetooth / WiFi / Airplay plus my favorite thing - MusicCast. This app allows me to play almost anything, from files stored on my home network, files on my device, plus all of the music streaming services (Spotify / Pandora / Napster / Tidal / Deezer) - plus it can be controlled by voice with Amazon Alexa.

I suspect that the thing that lets down this soundbar is the same as the reason that I bought it - size. I have a massive (Yamaha / Klipsch) setup in my Home Theatre but it really does take up a lot of space, and there are speakers hanging off the walls everywhere. I wanted some better audio from the TV in my Family Room and just didn't want the same look there. A soundbar is the obvious choice here but this has limited how much I can do with it.

This particular soundbar has 4 x 1 3/4" woofers, plus 2 x 1" tweeters, and it has a separate powered subwoofer with a 6 1/2" speaker. The soundbar has 100 Watts of power, and the subwoofer also has 100 Watts of power. Given these numbers, both the small speakers and the small power output, it should really not surprise me that it feels under-powered - for example, my Home Theatre amplifier sends 110 Watts TO EACH SPEAKER, not a paltry 100 Watts split between 6 speakers. I do have to concede that this is at the lower end of the range in the Yamaha catalog, still it is quite an investment.

I think that for regular users, this soundbar would tick all of their boxes (I've certainly never had a complaint from my wife or kids), but for an audiophile like me it just doesn't have enough power. Again, this is more of a problem with my expectations than a problem with the soundbar, and to be fair to it, at this price point it has a very good doof per dollar ratio.

Overall, if you want louder and clearer than your standard TV Speakers, this would be an ideal soundbar for you and I would highly recommend it. If you want a soundbar that will melt your face, this might not be the right choice for you.