Yamaha YAS-108

Yamaha YAS-108

Great Bass and overall sounds, however Voice is muffled!

Great bass and overall surround sound however voice clarity of spoken dialogue is terrible.
The voice is muffled and sometimes inaudible, only when I turn off the SoundBar and return to the TV Speaker do I get a boost of the voice clarity back to standard level.
I would like a refund however am not sure Harvey Norman will refund based on this feedback, I wouldn't buy this unless you want to watch movies like The Expendables with minimal talk and massive explosions.

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman for $195.00.

Good quality sound but connection via ARC is painful

The sound quality of the Yamaha YAS-108 is fantastic for the price and easily matches the $1000 5 year old sound bar it replaces. Sound clarity does suffer at louder volumes but this soundbar is more than adequate for bedroom or smaller lounges or lounges with lower ceilings. As a bonus the YAS-108 was able to be connected to my existing sub woofer for fantastic window rattling base. Its surround sound mode is fairly ineffectual but the stereo mode is where the strengths of this soundbar lie. The connection via HDMI ARC is extremely painful and needlessly difficult. Yamaha is a long way behind Samsung and Sony in this regard. I had to search the internet to get consistent sound out of the soundbar as when I connected as described in the manual the soundbar would loose its setting and have to be reconnected everytime you turn the TV on and off.

Purchased in April 2019 at Officeworks for $220.00.

Great sound, especially if combined with a subwoofer

Good sound and was at a great price. Very good value and good crisp sound with bass. Easy to set up and has bluetooth. It has much better sound than higher priced products.

Purchased in March 2019 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store for $195.00.

A good Soundbar but not without issues.

Retails for ~$300 but I don't think this is good value for money. I bought the Yamaha ATS1080 on Ebay (which I believe is identical) and paid $230 from Australian supplier.

Pros:
Sounds alright until you turn it up too high when the sound gets very muddy - which is probably to be expected for the price but doesn't gel with all the glowing reviews.
Pretty decent bass for a unit without a separate Sub once Bass Expander mode turned on.
Looks good and appears to be well made.
Quite a few good software features.

Cons:
Has an undocumented auto-volume leveling "feature" which resets volume to pre-determined level at every power cycle which is really annoying if you prefer it to remain somewhere else.
Complicated HDMI setup - I recommend reading the actual manual before buying as it would not work with my newish TV but my TV is rubbish (furnished rental) so...
Cable plug in area is quite recessed and in particular Optical cable was very hard to plug in.
Bluetooth works fine with my 1 year old Samsung tablet but couldn't connect at all using my Nokia 7p Phone.