Zyliss Rotary Cheese Grater

Zyliss Rotary Cheese Grater

The future of Cheese Grating!

I used to be like you, grating cheese with a regular hand-held grater; like a grade a chump. With the Zyliss rotary cheese grater those days are distant memory.
But I know what you're thinking, why go the extra mile for a rotary grater?
As someone who enjoy kilos of cheese with every meal, I can't begin to express the memories I have of embarrassment and frustration, of never being able to physically grate enough cheese.

Say hello to Zyliss rotary cheese grater. What a year we live in, 2015, where we can grate cheese with a hopper (with clockwise and anti-clockwise compatibility). This bad boy has become a household favourite, with everyone keen to get amongst it and grate some cheese. Hours have become minutes, and I've even taken up recreational grating again.

For years I've lived by the mantra, that 'it ain't easy, being cheesy'; now I'm not so sure!
I wish I had 5 hands so I could give this product 5 thumbs up.

Great for large volumes of cheese, a couple of issues though

I have a microplane grater which I love, but grating enough cheese to make pizzas for the family was getting to be a bit of a chore so I started looking for a rotary grater. I purchased a Zyliss rotary grater, but the fold out handle failed after a couple of months (the locking mechanism wouldn't hold) so I had it replaced. The second grater has been better but after 12 months I feel like the fold out handle is more difficult to click in, so maybe it will fail in the near future.

Using the grater is very easy - just put in the selected grater (fine or coarse), pop some cheese into the hopper and turn the handle. It can be used left or right handed. If you have very small hands it can be difficult to hold the unit in one hand while turning with the other. The hand which holds the grater has to push down on the top, so if you have a lot of cheese in the hopper it can be hard to get your hand around it. Easy solution is to put in smaller pieces of cheese.

The cheese comes out beautifully and we've had success using it for softer cheeses (such as mozzarella) through to cheddars and parmesan. It handles all of these with no problems. It is easy to wash in the dishwasher or by hand.
Grates large volumes of cheese quickly
Handle locking mechanism could be improved