• 8 helpful votes

Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: Jul 2017

Worst item ever

1 out of 5, reviewed on Jun 21, 2018

So much water is wasted to actually get hot water. Bought this thinking it would be more economical, stupid decision. Used to be able to have a 5 minute shower, now to get 5 minutes of water at a perfect temperature I am standing there for at least 25 minutes. Shower goes cold after about 3 minutes. No good just trying to adjust the hot water tap. Have to completely turn the shower off and start again - so again you're wasting litres of water to get hot water. Had an elderly relative stay who needs a shower chair, she had to bathe at the neighbours - she would either have 3rd degree burns or be frozen at our house. Continuous hot water - what's that?????

• 6 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: May 2018

Installed new Thernann 26 today. Less than impressed.

2 out of 5, reviewed on May 25, 2018

I just had a Thermann 26L/m continuous natural gas hot water unit installed today. My water pressure at the mains is 75psi before installation and I don't have any water saving heads in the home. So no problem with water pressure. When the plumber left and I got a chance to use it, I noticed it takes a good 30-45 seconds to go from cold water to luke warm and then rises to 50 degrees after a minute. My hand basin is on level ground less than 5m away. My kitchen about 10-12m away was worse. I turned the hot water on and had to wait over a minute before it got anything hotter than just luke warm. You would fill a kitchen sink full with wasted cold water before you get any hot water out. This is a complete waste of water.
The worst thing, is after you visit the toilet and go to your hand basin to wash your hands. You're washing in cold water for 10 seconds even before the unit has any sign of mildly heating up and then you stop the water. Say goodbye to washing hands in warm water on a cold winters day. This is a 1 bathroom house. I live alone. This has been a disappointing $3000 investment all up installed and connected to replace a 250L electric tank HWS including an updated circuit in my electrical powerbox.
I will not recommend this product at all. Over a minute to get mid to high 40's and then 50 degrees is abysmal. This product came 'highly recommended' by the Plumbing and Electrical Doctor. 'Everybody gets these units now and they are great' I was told. I actually read up and found the 26 sizing too excessive for my use and requested a 16 or 20, but again was told 'We recommend and only install 26's in every house now'. For such a highly praised company to highly praise this unit, one would expect a level of performance.
This morning I had a shower. The water took over a minute to get to temp. In the early stages of the shower it went warm and then luke warm, then warm again to hot. I maybe had to adjust it 3 times at first. But after it was running it had no problem supplying hot water.
The trade off with these units is wasted time and a lot of wasted water. Im in suburbia, but if you are on a rural property and have tank water, Do not buy this unit.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Comments

Winter update. End July 2018. I hate this water system! Soooooo much water is wasted passing through it. Now that its winter and ground pipe water temps from the street are very cold, expect to tu... read more »

Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: May 2018

Better than Rinnai

5 out of 5, reviewed on May 06, 2018

Just had a Thurmann 26 installed to replace our 10-year-old Rinnai. Heat exchanger in the Rinnai sprung a leak and it was not economical to replace and Rinnai one we're not interested even though it was just over 10 years old and out of warranty and 2. it was going to take them a week at least to get a servicemen to look at it. We had our Thurmman from All blocks Plumbing replaced within 2 days. The Thurmman has a great warranty and the best bit is you don't need to call the company to get their service agent out to look at it, the plumber who installed it is the service agent. My only little gripe is, it does seem to have an audible beep coming from the unit and I cannot find any information on it whatsoever...so Thurmman if ya listening...what is it? (ps no remotes connected)

• 6 helpful votes

Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Excellent product.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 14, 2018

We had one of these installed about six months ago. The hot water temperature is perfect. The plumber recommended this system and it has been a great choice. Would highly recommend one of these continuous hot water systems. It is much cheaper to run than the old electric hot water service.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Waldara

• 2 answers
  • 15 helpful votes

Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Research required prior to product selection

3 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 30, 2017

I made an impulsive decision to replace a 25 year old electric storage hot water system with new Thermann gas continuous flow hot water unit. Didn’t bother to research the options and relied entirely on my Plumber whose advice I normally value.
A major downfall with the Thermann unit is one which, from other product reviews, I should have realised prior to its purchase. Whilst the Thermann unit adequately provides continuous hot water for use in kitchen and laundary, it cannot be relied upon to supply continuous hot water to a shower without turning cold for no apparent reason.
With regard to a cost comparison between electric vs gas, in theory gas should be more economical but due the heating process causing huge delay in delivery of hot water to the tap/showerhead there is probably no substantial cost difference.

Adelaide

Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: Aug 2015

Very Unhappy

1 out of 5, reviewed on Nov 13, 2017

The Thermann 26 requires a a large volume of water to make it work so it won't work with water saving shower heads which is quite unbelievable in this day & age. It is not possible to close the hot water tap much to reduce flow & temperature as the gas cuts out, as it does if you turn the cold up much. As it is heating a large volume of water all the time to what I consider too high a temperature then it must by definition be using a lot of gas which is borne out by the fact that we now have VERY large gas bills and in a home with only two people and with very little gas used for anything else. Upon investigation with the distributor it seems that the temperature is not adjustable despite the instructions stating that it can be changed by resetting the dip switches. The instructions fib it seems. It is the worst piece of equipment I have purchased for a long time.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

Adelaide

• 2 helpful votes

Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: Sep 2017

Disappointed

3 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 17, 2017

So our we replaced our old gas water heater, Tank type. This Thermann produces a lot of hot water, fantastic. Problem is you cannot use water saving shower heads, need the waterflow to be high in order to get consistent water temperature. The worst part for us, is the exhaust gasses (Carbon monoxide) will fill the shed and or gazebo so you have to vacate these areas until the gasses disappate. So now I have been informed that my options are to relocate the hot water water system (and plumbing) or get a an additional flume to discharge the gasses above the roof line of the house which will hopefully prevent the gasses filling the gazebo or shed.

The Ponds, NSW

• 4 comments
  • 1 question
  • 4 answers
  • 12 helpful votes

Verified Purchase Model: 5 Star Date Purchased: Aug 2017

Its hot! & water keeps coming.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Aug 24, 2017

I purchased the model Thermann GCF 26 6 star Model when the 320 Litre solar powered gave up in 3 plus few months. I am glad I purchased this unit. Had I repaired other unit it was on its last leg with corrosion on the bottom of the water tank. This unit was recommended by the installing plumber. Did some research on this forum & forked out $1100 for the unit.
Pros. Works well. We are 3 people family unit & we tend to take quick showers even with a teen in the house. Takes about 30-40 seconds on coldest days to get the hot water going. There's no boiled water or like constant boiled hot water tank which saves a bundle specially at night when it constantly get be in the 60c temps.
According to packaging this was made in Japan. Not many come electronics come from that region, perhaps better quality.
Cons: There's no tank so you have to wait till the heater element to get kick started. If some one has taken prior shower I find the hot water flow to be quicker. The first person in the morning will have to wait the longest to get the hot water going as the burner has to get it going & the water has to travel through pipes. I normally let the mixer turn to hot & leave it for few seconds. I also noticed if you stop the shower to do your body wash/ shampoo lathering, the hot water flow quickly disappears leaving with you with cold water flow. I am not sure if its easier to leave the hot water running wasting water which will give you hot water flow. I am ok with turning it off & waiting for another 20 30 seconds to get the hot water going. We live in an age of impatience where waiting for hot water for 1 minute becomes painful, then I think of all the people in remotes parts of the world who do not have any running water. Then it becomes lot more to enjoy that hot shower.
Its only been a month with the unit. I did check with the company they said it has 12 yr warranty, in reality I am sure it will be part to break with in 3 yrs thats not covered under warranty.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes

Alexandra, Victoria

• 1 answer

Verified Purchase Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: Aug 2016

What a difference

5 out of 5, reviewed on Feb 06, 2017

With electricity prices going through the roof, I recently made the decision to dump electricity in favour of gas. Being rural, I had to increase the size of the line from my LPG tanks to carry the larger gas flow so that the two showers in my home could be used at the same time. The install was made quickly and the over large electric storage tank was removed (so much more space now). I am more than happy with the results and the continuous hot water never runs out (unless the LPG tank does).
I have waited several months to write this review so that I could receive a new electricity bill using just the gas system. I can now say that even with the increased gas usage (and consequent charges), I am making a fair saving over the excessive electrical system I used to have.
If you are thinking of moving away from electricity, this is a good option.

Doreen

• 17 helpful votes

Model: 6 Star Date Purchased: Dec 2016

Thermann Gas Continuous Flow Hot Water.

5 out of 5, reviewed on Dec 17, 2016

I had this unit installed to replace the useless Chromagen Solar Hot water system. The Thermann unit I had installed by Diamond Valley Plumbing is the 26L 6 star unit which is preset at 60deg. The water heats very quickly and is continuous without any disruption. The unit comes with a 12 year warranty for peace of mind also. Leaves the old Chromegan system for dead and no stupid oversize storage tank taking up space.

Pt Augusta

Thermann Gas Continuous Flow

5 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 30, 2016

I have no complaints and my gas bill has gone down by half since I had it. I did have the same issue of the hot water cutting out which is caused by the water saving shower head. I fixed it by drilling a slightly bigger hole in the re-stricter washer located in the shower head. The reason I bought a Thermann is because the Housing Trust are installing them in there houses in my area. If you only have one shower then get the 16L, any bigger and you are just wasting more gas to heat the same amount of water.

Brisbane

Private message

This is a waste of money

1 out of 5, reviewed on Mar 04, 2016

Water temperature does not stay consistent temperature, can not have a Luke warm shower on the hot night without it going cold, water pressure for a normal has to strong terrible gas hot water system. It is extremely good on gas too bad you can't say the same about the show

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes

sydney

• 11 helpful votes

Model: 6 Star

Thermann hot water system gas continuous flow 6 star

1 out of 5, reviewed on Oct 02, 2015

This is the worst system in the world. If only there was an option to give it zero.
I got a plumber to install the system about 4 months ago and has not worked properly from day one.
3 mins in to a shower the system will stop making hot water and I will have to wait another 3 months until it heats up. Rang up the company who advised me that my gas meter was too small and needed to be upgraded. The meter was upgraded, cost me $500 and still the same problem. I know this was a lie, because my sister has a rinnai with a small meter and not one issue. Thermann charged me for a service call out, which of course said that there was no issue. Its been 4 months and still no constant hot water. So much for a 12 year warranty, I have advised everyone I know not to use this system and i advise you all to stay away from this inferior product from Reece plumbing.

11 people found this helpful, do you? Yes