2017 Polygon Bend RIV

See the Best Road Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Love it

Love it, love it, love it, A small mod on mine 2.1 tyers front and back ,used a 27.5 back to accommodate the 2.1 , did I tell you I love it , am racing it this weekend in a 160 km grevel race , and the end of next month in a 300 km gravle race , If i win them might ask for a sponership Mr Polygon.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Tradey

TradeyBairnsdale

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Joe

Joeasked

Hi there
The guy who wrote the review above said the gearing was not low enough to get up some hills. I thought the advertising said that up front was 38 and the largest at the rear was 42 or there about my god that is very low which would allow you to cycle up a vertical wall. Am I missing something ?

Nico T
Nico T

As he said, he rode with loaded panniers and stated that he is old. Unloaded, it can be a zippy ride, but the reason why most tourers prefer doubles or triples is for the wider gear range needed when you need to conserve your energy for a long distance tour with the added weight of panniers and other gear.

Adrian C
Adrian C

Agree with Nico. I recently toured on a new bike with Sora R3000- lowest gear is 30T front/34T rear, almost the same as 38/42T. I am 45, fat, have bad knees, me + bike about 130kg. I was using the lowest gear quite often in the hilly region, and often wanted something lower.

If I was 30 kg lighter, with no extras on the bike, I'm sure I'd feel same as Joe

Had I been using the RIV, I'd have changed the front chainring to 32 or 34T. Will spin out on flats, but was on uphills about 6 times more often than going fast, esp with headwinds. I suspect the older gentleman who returned his bike didn't know he could make this change. I doubt speeding downhill at 70kmh would be something he'd do often, from what he wrote

Get an answer from our members and Polygon representatives

CategoryRoad Bikes