American Express Essential

American Express Essential

See the Best No Annual Fee Credit Cards in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for American Express? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

$0 Annual Fee & Low Interest Rate of 14.99% p.a. on purchases
Earn up to 1.25 Membership Rewards Points per $1
Smartphone Screen Insurance of up to $500 each year
Add up to 4 Additional Cards at no extra cost

Cons

3% Balance Transfer Fee
3% Currency Conversion Fee

Details ·

CategoryLow Rate Credit Cards, No Annual Fee Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
Card TypeAmerican Express
Minimum Credit Limit $2,000.00
Maximum Credit Limit $25,000.00
Minimum Income $40,000.00
Additional Cardholders 4
Additional Cardholder Fee $0.00 p.a.
Minimum Repayments2.5%
Rewards ProgramAmerican Express Membership Rewards
Points Earn Rate 1.25 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 1.25 points per $1 spent on purchases excluding government bodies in Australia

• 1 point for every $1 spent at government bodies in Australia

• Application Process
Jaideep
JaideepAlice Springs, NT

Worst card in Australia

Customer service is worst every customer service representative person will give you different answers and they are so rude, lazy. Stay away from their travel credit scheme because it’s just a biggest scam ever

Jack
Jack

Such a shocker

I cannot believe I am now someone who is writing a review for something but here we are. I got onto an Amex Credit Card with QANTAS frequent flyer bonuses and QANTAS flight credit. They are so unbelievably disorganized. The card is only accepted with a few stores in Australia. The flight credit forces you to book through Amex Travel, which is an incredibly clunky website that is impossible to navigate. Have had to change my flight date and it has taken me hours over the phone and on their terrible website. Seriously, do not bother with Amex Australia. Not worth the unbelievable amount of hassle.

Absolutely horrible

I applied for an Amex Business card 3.5 months ago and have sent them every document they've requested, however I still don't have it approved - and now a new account manager has contacted me to ask me to apply again because my application has timed out!? Totally unacceptable and would not recommend.

N J.
N J.New South Wales

Steer clear of AMEX

Their Customer Service is non existent. They transfer you back and forth between multiple people, and no one seems to be able to respond. High fees, unreasonable charges, and intent on ripping off Customers. Avoid them as a credit provider.

No Annual Fee Credit Cards

Find out how American Express Essential compares to other No Annual Fee Credit Cards

Craig
CraigPerth, WA

Great everyday card with no annual fee.

Was a tad skeptical after seeing the other reviews here, but am pleased to report that my AMEX Essential Card has worked exactly as intended and have made lots of $$$ from the member benefits and sign up offers. I use it for everyday expenses and pay it off weekly so no issues with the interest rate (which is pretty much industry standard). I contacted support once via the app and was pleased to have my issue resolved within 10 minutes via chat. I would recommend this card to people who want an everyday purchase card with some moderate benefits and no annual fee. Use this link if you're interested to score $200 when signing up: http://amex.com.au/refer/cRAIGRVARc

Max
MaxGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

worst card i ever have

It's very hard to call the help line and they would help. I sign up in July 2021, and sometime they have few sneaky charge on your account be aware to check you credit card every month and not many merchant accept them

Lisa F.
Lisa F.Sydney, NSW

Update your records and stop sending me mail for someone else!!!!

I’ve been RTS mail for the last 6 months but Amex are STILL posting letters to my address for someone who doesn’t live here anymore!! Stop wasting my time!! It’s not my fault that person left no forwarding address - deal with it.

Super Funds Awards 2022!

super-funds-awards-2020
What you need to know about store finance credit cards

A store credit card can help if you need to make an emergency purchase but you don’t have the money. Read on to learn how store credit cards work and discover what to watch out for.

Avleen M.
Avleen M.
what-you-need-to-know-about-store-finance-credit-cards
Credit Card Awards 2020

credit-card-awards-2020
mahbub m.
mahbub m.Sydney, NSW

Awful and should be sued for breach of customer data

Be careful of their special partnership and promotional offers with third parties for cardholders that they advertise as a value add for customers. In fact, they are sharing your personal information with other businesses and in some cases your credit card details. If you are not reading T&C's properly they will not take any responsibilities down the road either. I have personally been charged fees for a subscription after a year that I clicked without reading the terms properly. But I never gave my credit card details to that 3rd party organization directly either. Apparently it all happens at the back end. Not sure how they can get away with this. Sharing with you so that you don't make the same mistakes as I did.

Grampians
GrampiansWimmera, VIC

Mafia criminals. Underhanded and bordering on dishonest!

From their very first introduction into the Australian Market American Express were underhanded and provided poor customer service. They originally employed thugs to collect late fees. A poorly structured and managed organisation which is not client focused. Poor user terms, conditions of use and high interest, late fees and merchant fees. Do not make the mistake of supporting these criminals.

PCG
PCG

Super poor customer service, customer service staff unable to answer simple questions. Unable able to provide basic info. Asked about policies they mention they could not provide info on the policies just respond search on website

Jezz
JezzSydney, NSW

Poor service

Totally shocked by poor service from a company that is so large and has such large fees. Applied for a card, full-time job with no debt, income above their requirements and declined. Extremely long waits on phone and delayed correspondence waiting to be advised. Had to chase them up for answer. Very poor and would not recommend to others given their fees are so high. Much better options out there so would suggest you look around and stay away from American Express.

A Ne
A Ne

Unethical and no empathy

During the statewide lockdown Amex decided to cancel our Amex card and strip us of our 1.8m points. When asked when did they send us a letter they said it was sent the same day it was cancelled henceforth forfeiting all the points we built. Shocking

No Annual Fee Credit Cards

If you die or get injured travel insurance useless

Denies paying travel insurance claims. Just like every other scam insurance companies not worth the paper its written on. Unfortuately insurance companies are no longer trustworthy these days and secondhand car salesmen have become more trustworthy than an insurance providor .

Tan
TanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Terrible Service...

I have been hung up on more times than I can remember and you would think they would have the courtesy to call you back since you have just provided them with all your details. To communicate with them are 45min + wait then they hang up on you when the phone call when they dont know how to work out how to answer questions. They dont care at all. I am cancelling my credit card with them as its not worth the hassle. Website, statements, Credit towards flights its all very hidden and secretive like they are trying to make it difficult to find out information so you dont claim the credits you have paid for. Dont trust at all

Disappointed
Disappointed

Secret Squirrel

Asked them to confirm ABN and address of merchant I am paying with my Amex platinum card and they refused because of the merchant's "privacy". This is rubbish because ABNs and addresses are public. I simply needed to make sure it was the merchant I thought it was. Amex are happy to provide this info for other merchants so why not this one? Is it the fact it is a multinational probably trying to avoid paying tax in this country? Amex have been inconsistent, unhelpful and in my view because of this, extremely dodgy. Good luck ever trying to check who you're actually paying using their card. If they're trying to keep the merchants details out of the taxmans office, they won't tell you what is your right to know as the cardholder.