Apple AirPods

Apple AirPods

2nd Gen and 1st Gen

See the Best Wireless Headphones in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Expensive but does exactly what I need it to do

Having had the Generation 1 version of these AirPods, I had high expectations for the new Generation 2. While very happy with my original set, their battery performance had suffered over the previous two plus years. I was only getting about an hour or so out of each before requiring a recharge. This was somewhat disappointing as I use mine while working around the house and walking the dog but generally only using one at a time as I listen to Podcasts more than music. Unfortunately, the batteries in these devices are small and do not appear capable of supporting long term use. There appears to be no way to replace the batteries on these (and it costs virtually as much to buy replacements from Apple as buying a whole new set), so I purchased the Generation 2 set (with the Wireless Charging case option).

APPEARANCE
Physically, these are identical to the original AirPods. Only difference being the repositioning of the “charging light” on the case from under the lid to on the front. Apple claims that there is an extra bit of power from the batteries to supply an extra hour of talk time. However, in my use, this is difficult to access.

FUNCTIONALITY
Audio quality is excellent (although, not big on bass) but it should be noted that as they are smooth plastic (without any silicon sealing) so they don’t provide a lot of sealing against external noise. The lack of silicon sealing may also prove problematic for some people being able to keep them in they're ear (particularly while involved in active movement). I’ve rarely had a problem with this myself and any dislodgement has been because they have been brushed against something.
The AirPods recharge relatively quickly in their case but the case itself can be very slow to recharge wirelessly. In fact, I was somewhat concerned that the case may have been defective due to the slowness of charge as I found it generally needed to be left overnight. I did find, however, I able to improve this noticeably by switching from a 5w charger to a 7.5w one.

New on the Generation 2 AirPods is the ability to summon Siri by voice command. I find this better than the “double finger tap” on the Generation 1 AirPods method (which I reserve for starting/stopping play). There are a few settings you can adjust for what happens when you do the “double finger tap” including being different for the left or right hand AirPod. You can use Siri to set volume, skip forward/back, announce time, battery level ect. All of this I find quite handy when working handsfree. However, there was an issue with Siri straight out of the box….she spoke too quietly. There was no documentation to explain how to increase her volume without increasing the volume of the audio you were listening too as well. Looking on line, I found a lot of other people with the same issue and no real solution. Fortunately, I stumbled on the cure. See TIPS below.

Answering phone calls while wearing these is a breeze. Simply “doubletap one” with your finger. Call quality has been brilliant with people I’m talking to indicating they thought I was just on a “normal” phone. The only issue I have had is while walking in windy conditions where the wind noise has proved loud and problematic for the person on the other end taking the call.

Have managed to misplace these occasionally but (fortunately) Apple's Find My Phone feature has come to the rescue around the house. Should be noted they really need to be within range of your phone to be found by this method.

One thing I have noticed improved is the range of these units. The previous model impressed me with how far you could move from your phone before connectivity is lost. These are even better and with the phone left in the centre of the house, I can walk around everywhere (and to a small degree outside) without losing the connection. Great!

WHAT COULD BE BETTER?
They are expensive so you are right to have high expectations.
1) I have had the recent misfortune to brush against a branch while leaning over a pond only to have one of the Airpods drop into it. Happy to say that after about 5 or so seconds of submersion in just under half a metre of pond water it appears to have survived (after I shook it and left it to dry in the sun for a little while). Hopefully there is no long term effect. Incidentally, one of my previous Generation 1 Airpods managed a cycle in the washing machine without long term effect (although it did take a couple of days of drying before it would work again. Despite my “lucky” experiences, I would like Apple to seal them against moisture ingress and state this in the specifications.
2) Surely there is a way to replace the battery (at a reasonable price) on such a high priced device?
3) The extra cost for the wireless charging case really isn’t worth it. Save your money and just buy the AirPods with the standard charging case.

Overall, I would recommend these for their simplicity and general functionality. I have found them to work consistently well and their has been no major issues to deal with. I’d buy them again...but maybe not with the wireless charging case option.

TIPS
* To increase the volume of Siri without increasing the audio level of music you are listening to, issue this command;
“Hey Siri…..speak up”. This will increment Siri’s voice level by one. If that is still not enough, do it again. To reduce Siri’s volume, say “Hey Siri…..speak down”. I know that makes no sense but it is the only command I have found that will reduce Siri’s volume.
* When wirelessly charging the case, use a 7.5w charger.
* Avoid using the phone capability in conditions that are somewhat windy….or be prepared for adverse comments from the person you are conversing with.

Purchased in July 2019 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store for $295.00.

I really enjoy these.

These are useful, as they can work with all apps. The only downsides are sometime what you're listening to will cut out, or sometime turn to max volume. The features to pause videos and turn off the base are fun to use though, and the airpods stick in tight!

Great portable, Hands free Ear pod

Honestly i love everything of the Apple Airpod except for the material they use to make it, which is really easy to attract dirt and soon eventually getting dark when you open it up, another problem is connection, sometimes u need to try a few time before u can use it.

Purchased in June 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $229.00.

Handy AirPod

The 2nd generation AirPods comes with longer battery and more efficient prong with iPhone. The sound quality is good as usual which you don’t expect premium sound quality from AirPod I believe. Highly recommend it!

Purchased in June 2019 at David Jones for $250.00.

Bluetooth

Too expensive, too small and fall out all the time

While the headphones work well in terms of sound and performance, they come with lots of logistical problems.

Firstly, they are expensive. Really expensive, and Apple products don't seem to work with other wireless headphones, so you are stuck with these.

Secondly, they're really small and easy to lose. I've spent too much time searching for them and it's frustrating and annoying.

Thirdly, they fall out of my ears all the time. They fall out when I'm walking, when I'm exercising, when I'm in the bus, when I look in my bag for my wallet. I mean they just drop to the pavement or floor continuously. As they are so small, I then proceed to search for them, on the floor, on the pavement, wherever they've fallen. Many times I can't find them again and then have to buy a new pair.

Finally, I'll just say that while they are good if you are sitting still or laying on your bed, they are pretty worthless if you're moving around. The expense, the frustration and the size just make them worthless for what they were designed for

Purchased in January 2019 at Apple Store Australia for $250.00.

Love this product!

Perfect for listening to music and using siri on the go.
They are easy to get in the case as they are magnetic.
They connect to your phone quickly and connect everytime.
I was concerned that they would fall out of my ears. While I am havent tried running with them yet, they havent fallen out yet. They fit my ear really well.
I like that you can customise what tapping on the earbuds do.
The battery life is excellent.

Cons:
You can only connect to one iphone at a time. I have two, a personal and work phone. Hopefully the next gen has this capability. I have also noticed that there has been some magnetic flux that has come out of the internal part of the case onto the external part. Im almost sure this is not supposed to happen. I have cleaned it away but will see if it happens again. This is only a small con and may only apply to my specific pair (faulty?). If it keeps happening, I will get an exchange.

If youre someone who loves music, this is definitely worth it. I think @ $250, they are good value.

Purchased in July 2019 at JB Hi-Fi for $249.00.

Great Wireless In Ear Pods

After resisting for some time because of the $200 plus price and reviews of poor sound quality, I finally succumbed and bought the Air Pods and accompanying charging case from the Apple Store.

I have been using these for about a month now and they are impressive and surprisingly addictive to use. I cannot imagine using wired headphones again.

Great sound, excellent battery life and only a couple of syncing problems with my IPhone thus far.

The charging case is a must have in my opinion just because of the sheer convenience.

I have not lost any of the Pods which was a major concern for me. Even if I did you can track where they are through the Find My Phone app.

Highly recommended.

They're Good, Pretty Good

The airpod gen2 are worth the $200. They are equipped with above substantial audio and are compatible with QI wireless charging pads. However, they are not compatible with my surface book 2 and so I was dissapointed.

Purchased in August 2019 at Myer for $199.00.

Bluetooth

First generation usually have issues

I use the headphones for talking on the phone and listening to music.
The sound quality is ok, depends on how loud you like your music. Listening to anything on a higher sound will drain your phone battery quickly.
I’ve had to have the AirPods swapped out 3 times due to various faults. The Apple call centre operators are world wide, when you encounter an issue, it just seems to shift around the world. My issue was shifted around and around the world for over a year before getting sorted. My personal experience with Apple products as the years have gone on is that they have sacrificed quality but keep putting the prices up to make profit.

Purchased in January 2017 for $249.00.

Bluetooth

Perfect for listening music and taking phone calls

Perfect for listening music and taking phone calls. Battery capacity is very good and charge case will help in recharging the Airpods.
Tried with a Microsoft laptop and the device is not recognizing it. I did read that it will not work with non-apple devices before buying. But it would have been good if it worked with them. Also, Not good for holding in your ears for long time as it might hurt a little bit inside.

Purchased in July 2019 at eBay for $259.00.

Bluetooth

Good sound quality but battery life is short.

I have never used Airpod before. So I don’t know about Airpod Gen 1.
I purchased Gen 2 from Telstra. It’s very easy to set up with my iPhone. Charging with case is very easy. Everyone can use this very easily.
As I’m not music specialist, I don’t know how sound is good. But, Airpod provides good quality of sounds.
But, there is also problems:
1. Battery life
- According to Apple, we can use it for 5 hours. But, it is actually much shorter.
2. Price
- Like most Apple products, the price is high.

If you have iPhone and need wireless earphone, I recommend this.

Purchased in July 2019 at Telstra for $240.00.

Brilliant! Worth to buy

At first, I bought a fake $30 or so. I had no problem listening to music, but when I talked on the phone with it, I couldn't hear the other person's voice very well and felt tight. A month ago,I tread-in I phone 6 plus at Apple store and received a second generation Airpods.

Pro
- very neat call voice. Easy to use
- no noisy
- perfect fit(no pain)

Con
- expensive
- only 3~4 hours full running time
- sometimes hard to connect Bluetooth(don’t know why)

Purchased in July 2019 at Apple Store Australia for $249.00.

Bluetooth

Quite happy with these AirPods!

I listen to all types of music with the AirPods, from high bass to soft acoustics these have been quite the pleasure so far.

I jog and train with them, exercise and move at fast speeds and have never fallen out on me, very satisfied.

Sound and volume personally could be louder and clearer, but still very efficient.

I do enjoy the great wireless range they provide also.

Purchased in December 2018 at Officeworks for $259.00.

Bluetooth

The best headphones i have ever had!!

Great quality sound. Very long talk time and fast charging thru the charging pod. Great for using during sleeping /Running/ working.

I have used some bulky wireless headphones in the past but i prefer Apple air pods .
Very easy to change tracks/ Control volume thru SIRi or to pause by just taking one air pod out of your ear.

I cat wait to get the gen 2 now.

Purchased in May 2017 at Myer Online Store for $229.00.

Bluetooth

I didn’t know how much I needed it!

I was sceptical about ear phones without a chord but I can now understand how useful it is! So easy to do things around the house whilst being on the phone or easy to transport without needing different earphones for my laptop/phone. The wireless range is great as well. Also, I very rarely need to charge them. Very happy with this purchase.

Perfect for Music lovers

Easy to use and carry. So much easier to use in the gym and even for jogging! Love it!! I take it around with me from work till home and gym. Even at the beach. No more tangled ear phones

Purchased in August 2019 at Apple for $229.00.

Great quality

AirPods are well made, (I have had mine 18 months) fit in the ear very well. There trick is place them in vertically and then twist gently towards the front. I have tried other brands but they don't come anywhere close to reliability, lack of drop outs and sound quality. Battery life remains as good as the first day.

Purchased in December 2017 at Harvey Norman for $129.00.

Perfect quality and performance

The battery listening is at least 4 hours and talking just under 2 hours but it charged back to 100 % in 10 minutes the case gives you at least 4 or maybe 5 charges so I totally recommend this product good sound and the Bluetooth reach far far a reckons 10 meters or more, really please with this.

Purchased in June 2019 at Apple Physical store for $250.00.

Awesome

I listen to a variety of music which all sound great. Very clear and loud. I use them while I work out and they are great for any kind of workout. Very satisfied with the wireless range as well.

Purchased in June 2019.

Don’t buy from iSounds

I purchased my pods from iSounds on the 28th May. 5 weeks later I’ve still not received them. I’ve been told that the order didn’t process. Then 2 weeks later I was told they were delivered to the wrong address. 2 weeks later they’ve still not arrived. I keep getting palmed off with no solution. Don’t buy from iSounds!!!! They’re rip off merchants that don’t deliver!!!

Purchased in May 2019 at Isounds for $40.00.