1st Gen, 2nd Gen
See the Best Wireless Headphones in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Apple? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

• Sound Quality
  • Bass
  • Comfort
  • Battery Life
  • Bluetooth

ethan
ethan

Rubbish noise cancellation, but otherwise good.

Bass & sound quality is good. But often call sound quality is poor (when the same call is fine without headphones), and noise cancellation only works if a background sound is constant. Right now, I’m sitting next to my wife with my AirPods set to maximum noise cancellation while she watches a different show to me. I can hear every single word of the show she’s watching. Noise cancellation is great for constant noises like the oven while I’m baking, but 90% of noises aren’t so constant.
The “noise cancellation” function is frankly useless.

Purchased in May 2021 at Kogan.com for $300.00.

randomly drop out despite removing all other blue tooth devices from my iPhone and having full battery.

When they work they function well. No good when they do not work after a short period of time. Have never been wet or damaged. But work less often than they function. One ear pod drops out sometimes. Others both drop out. Sometimes after 5 minutes sometimes after 5 seconds. They’ve never been wet or damaged.

Purchased in December 2019.

Rubbish - ROTTEN APPLE, Seriously the worst company to deal with.

Purchased in February 2020 at Apple Australia for $249.00.

Natasha1991
Natasha1991Perth, WA

Right one stopped working only 6 months old

Purchased in November 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $200.00.

Eboy
EboyCentral Highlands and Goldfields, VIC

Just get something with better quality sound

I know there are many Apple simps out there that believe Apple is the BeSt CoMpAnY for this kind of product, you're just objectively wrong. The build quality is average at best and the sound is awful compared to other products that are a lot cheaper. Just do some research and find something better, thank you :p

Purchased in January 2021.

Best personal electronic devices in 2020!

ProductReview.com.au has analysed a year's worth of reviews to find the best wireless headphones, mobile phones and tablets in 2020. Compare specific reviewer ratings, ranging from Battery Life and Sound / Camera Quality to Value for Money and Ease of Use to help you choose the best personal tech.

Wendy Z.1 Nov 2019
best-personal-electronic-devices-in-2020
ShazzaIllawarra, NSW

Sound is not good

When I’m actually listening to music I can hear it well but when I’m talking to somebody they say that my voice is very muffled which is the same as the other pair that I purchased

Purchased at Apple Physical store for $320.00.

Comfort
ShazzaIllawarra, NSW

Apple AirPod 1st Generation

I have purchased both 2nd and 3rd generations, one because I thought that I had lost one pair. I find that both of them are very poor sound when making a call, the receiver can not hear properly. I can not understand why both generations would be the same, it is very disappointing.

Purchased at Apple Physical store for $300.00.

Sound Quality
Sam
SamSouth East Queensland, QLD

Issues straight out of the box

Purchased in March 2021 at Apple Online store for $399.00.

Sally
Sally

Apple lied to me

Only four months old poor sound. Apple told me on a recorded call that even though I did not have Apple care they would send me a replacement pair by courier and I just needed to send the broken ones back to them. After 8 business days I rang them, they lied to me on the first call as they were not sending any replacement pair to me. Now have to wait for weeks more for repair which I have to organise and a month later. Apple stop lying to customers.

Purchased in July 2020 for $277.00.

Elle
ElleSouth East Queensland, QLD

Use these everyday! Makes working out with music or podcasts so much easier and more comfortable

I was given these as a gift from my BF and they have honestly been the biggest game changer to my workouts! Usually I would struggle with the headphone cords when running or lifting weights but the fact these can just sit securely in my ears is amazinggg. I don’t even notice they’re there!

Purchased in January 2021 at Apple Store Australia.

Rubbish. Waste of money.

My Airpods constantly disconnect from my Macbook. Very frustrating. I wish I had never bought them. They work ok on my iphone but not on my Macbook. I expected much better.

Keep perfectly still or they fall out

Sound and features are great! What a pity they fall out of my ears every 30sec (10sec if I’m running), ditto when my wife uses them. Make sure you have ears that meet Apple specs or you are out of luck.

Purchased in November 2020 for $399.00.

David AUS
David AUSSydney, NSW

Overprice and after 2.5 years ended up in the landfill

Overprices buds and short shelf life. After 2.5 years my AirPods battery only last 20 min.

Forget about warranty, Apple won’t replace. However they charge more than a new one for a replacement under their care policy.

Better ended buying Jabra, that has a better battery and way better sound quality.

Purchased in February 2019 at Apple Online store for $249.00.

Dave
DaveDarwin, NT

Typical apple product all show no go

Battery life abysmal. Non repairable and not even good for recycling.
Have tried all the ‘fixes’ to try to stop right one shutting down after a minute or so.
I won’t be replacing these with an apple product.

Purchased for $250.00.

Karl F.
Karl F.Sydney, NSW

It works perfect!

I was skeptical when I first saw the AirPods. It was looking awkward and was too expensive for my taste. Until I started hearing reviews from my friends! Everybody who owns it, gives 5 star! I had to try myself. I am glad I did it. I love it now. It is just a perfect product

Purchased in September 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $239.00.

Read more reviews - page 2

Frequently Asked Questions about Apple AirPods

What is the difference between the normal Charging Case and the Wireless Charging Case?

While both cases can be carried around in your pocket and will recharge your Airpods on-the-go, there are two different ways to recharge the case itself. The normal case charges by plugging a cable into the wall, the same way many devices are charged. The Wireless Case can also be recharged using a wireless charging pad (with the normal cable charge also being a back-up option). So if you don't have (or don't want to buy) a wireless charging pad, there's no need to pay extra for the Wireless Charging Case.

Latest Consumer Questions

quasarsindahause
quasarsindahauseasked
AirPods

Why is Apple so crap.

Shazza

Just a cheap products that I purchased was very disappointing that they didn’t have great quality

King Bob Minion
King Bob Minionasked
Airpods 1st Gen

Why are they so expensive for 1st gen? Looks great. Reckon you could get with them with $170. Just asking pleeeeeeeeeease my son really wants them but everywhere is to expensive. Thanks

Apple AirPods

The popular Apple Airpods are a convenient and stylish way to listen to music on the go. Simply pop them back into their sleek and compact charging case, and slide them into your pocket when you’re done.

Features:

• 5 hours listening time or up to 3.5 hours of talk time
  • Multifunctional - can use them at work uni or while exercising
  • Compact charging case, so you easily slip them into your pocket
  • There’s the option to choose between the standard charging case and a wireless charging case. The standard charging case can only be charged via a cable, whereas the wireless charging case gives you the option to charge via cable or a wireless charging pad.

What reviewers loved about Apple Airpods:

• The Apple Airpods easily pair with phones, making it a simple process to transition from listening to music to answering calls
  • As these wireless headphones are so light, they were comfortable to wear for long periods of time
  • Since these headphones are multifunctional, you can use them at work or uni. They're also suitable for exercise such as running and cycling.
  • Reviewers appreciated the vibrant and clear sound these headphones produced.
Compare all 3 Apple AirPods
Apple Airpods 1st Gen
  • Discontinued

Apple Airpods 1st Gen

4.4
CategoryWireless HeadphonesWireless HeadphonesWireless Headphones
Price (RRP) $249.00$319.00$229.00
TypeIn-EarIn-EarIn-Ear
FeaturesCharging Case, Microphone Included and True Wireless (Earbuds Only)Charging Case, Microphone Included and True Wireless (Earbuds Only)Charging Case, Microphone Included and True Wireless (Earbuds Only)
Weight8 g8 g8 g