ASUS RT-AC88U

ASUS RT-AC88U

MPN: RT-AC88U
See the Best Routers in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by ASUS

• Wi-Fi Range
Ric C.
Ric C.South East Queensland, QLD

Good when it runs

I “upgraded”from a 68U to the 88U. The 88U struggled on 2.4. not good if you have plugged in to a safety switch and an electrical storm comes thru as that was the end of them both. Works well otherwise. Better with mesh. Returning back to HN again inside a year for replacement. 68U backup still works

Purchased for $400.00.

David2
David2AU

Performance, Excellence,Mesh

Connectivity is superb, we avoided the fiasco that is the NBN and went with Optus 4G
Dropouts are very, very rare.
Management ranges from simple to complex, I have 2 mesh repeaters and wanted to flood the house with signal.

Purchased in September 2020.

Glenn M.
Glenn M.

Tried 2, both are broken

After deciding that my old trusty Netgear router was struggling with all my devices, I thought I'd upgrade to the Asus ac88u. Got the router and it was great for about 15 minutes. I tried all the settings and factory reset it a few times but after 2 days it completely failed. I got a replacement and it seems to last about 20 minutes before dropping out. This is officially the worst product I have ever purchased.

Purchased in October 2019.

brocky
brockyCentral Queensland, QLD

Works well

I recently purchased the ASUS RT-AC88U Dual Band AC3100 Gigabit Router I have found this product to be perfect for my needs it offers gigabit wired networking and fantastic other features like being able to have a hard drive connected to be able to do mac back up It also is grate for gaming and has a feature to speed up the connection for gaming networks it is fairly easy to set up and if you do run into problems there are plenty of YouTube videos from asus and others that will walk you through the setup highly recommend this product

Purchased in July 2019 at Umart Online.

steven
stevenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great upgrade from RT68U (update added 29APR2020)

Purchased in June 2019 at MSY Technology for $379.00.

Never again wow
Never again wowperth

No issues

How satisfied are you with the connectivity of the modem/router to your devices?
very good.

How often do you get dropouts that are fixed by resetting the modem / router (ie. the ISP is not at fault)?
None that ive noticed.

How difficult is it to set up and manage this modem / router?
pretty easy if you have a bit of background knowledge i use the ISP modem as a bridge.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Glen B
Glen B

Rock solid

Ton of features and great range. I haven't had a single drop out or Reboot needed since switching from a Dlink taipan. It also just smashes the d'link in feature set and range. The extra LAN ports is also great for homes with a fair bit of Ethernet wiring.

Not the prettiest thing but I don't care as long as it works. That said, their customer support pages are terrible so I hope I don't have to use them.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Newbs
NewbsVictoria

Reliable High Performance Router

This router performs very reliably and has no trouble at all downloading at 50mbps on NBN, or streaming or file sharing between the 7 other devices on my network. I installed the Merlin custom firmware for some extra features, but it really has everything most users would need with the stock firmware, including the VPN client functionality which is so convenient. The speed and range are excellent on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I really don't think you can go wrong with this router.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017

Octavia
OctaviaBrisbane

Solid Router

I've had a great experience with the AC68U I had high hopes for the AC3200. I've read a few things about sketchy setup issues and dropped connections so was a little nervous. Anyway, I followed the directions to first set it up and immediately download the latest firmware. First note is that I did the quick setup and that worked great. It prompted for the firmware upgrade and I did it. After doing it, I reset configuration back to factory default using the Web GUI. This ensures settings with the latest firmware are addressed in the config file. I've had stable connection and I've seen a performance improvement over the AC68U. For a single router system I highly recommended it.

Date PurchasedJune 2018

Addy
AddyPerth, WA

Good router with great range

This router is awesome. No connection drops and a great range. Bonus is that it has a futuristic love it or hate it design, and I absolutely love it. Sad thing is that it does not have an inbuilt modem, wherein I still have to use Optus’ Junkbox to connect with NBN. Beside this, the product is highly recommended

Date PurchasedFeb 2017
Stevo
StevoAU

Amazing router

Date PurchasedDec 2017

3yr warranty, you may need it.

3 stars as it was a great unit while it worked, but...
1st RT-AC88U lasted ~6 months before dropping the 5Gwifi band permanently. Factory reset and rescue mode was unsuccessful. Returned to reseller.
2nd RT-AC88U lasted 4 hours before dropping the 2.4Gwifi band permanently. Factory reset and rescue mode was unsuccessful. Returned to reseller.
We have swapped to a RT-AC68U which looks to be a more reliable unit, only time will tell.

Date PurchasedSept 2017
ausishman
ausishmanGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

A fantastic router

I have been using the router for a while and I can not fault it. The Wi-Fi range is great yet no outstanding. I installed Merlin on it and it runs with no complaints. The software comes with a bunuch of very useful features (not only for geeks). If I had to purchase it again I would not think twice.

Date PurchasedApr 2017
Bruce
BruceGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

Perfomance, looks & features, but not actual function or operation!

Date PurchasedNov 2017

wusyc
wusycGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Good solid high performance router

I am using this router on my 100/40 NBN connection. It's wifi coverage and performance is great. It also has a lot of security features that most family needs. For more demanding user, there is also custom firmware available which makes the router even more flexible.

I only give 4 starts because the router seems to slow down the connection over a number of days. I am hoping that the latest firmware fixes this.

Date PurchasedJuly 2017