ASUS RT-AC88U

ASUS RT-AC88U

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

brocky

brockyCentral Queensland, QLD

Works well

I recently purchased the ASUS RT-AC88U Dual Band AC3100 Gigabit Router I have found this product to be perfect for my needs it offers gigabit wired networking and fantastic other features like being able to have a hard drive connected to be able to do mac back up It also is grate for gaming and has a feature to speed up the connection for gaming networks it is fairly easy to set up and if you do run into problems there are plenty of YouTube videos from asus and others that will walk you through the setup highly recommend this product

Purchased in July 2019 at Umart Online.

ISPMyRepublic NBN 100 (Premium, Gamer Pro Premium)
ModemNetgear DM200-100AUS Broadband High-Speed VDSL/ADSL Modem
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

steven

stevenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great upgrade from RT68U

Purchased in June 2019 at MSY Technology for $379.00.

Number of Connected Devices 18 devices
ISPAussie Broadband NBN 50 (Standard Plus)
ModemNone straight connected to NBN
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability
Never again wow

Never again wowperth

No issues

How satisfied are you with the connectivity of the modem/router to your devices?
very good.

How often do you get dropouts that are fixed by resetting the modem / router (ie. the ISP is not at fault)?
None that ive noticed.

How difficult is it to set up and manage this modem / router?
pretty easy if you have a bit of background knowledge i use the ISP modem as a bridge.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Glen B

Glen B

Rock solid

Ton of features and great range. I haven't had a single drop out or Reboot needed since switching from a Dlink taipan. It also just smashes the d'link in feature set and range. The extra LAN ports is also great for homes with a fair bit of Ethernet wiring.

Not the prettiest thing but I don't care as long as it works. That said, their customer support pages are terrible so I hope I don't have to use them.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Newbs

NewbsVictoria

Reliable High Performance Router

This router performs very reliably and has no trouble at all downloading at 50mbps on NBN, or streaming or file sharing between the 7 other devices on my network. I installed the Merlin custom firmware for some extra features, but it really has everything most users would need with the stock firmware, including the VPN client functionality which is so convenient. The speed and range are excellent on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I really don't think you can go wrong with this router.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Octavia

OctaviaBrisbane

Solid Router

I've had a great experience with the AC68U I had high hopes for the AC3200. I've read a few things about sketchy setup issues and dropped connections so was a little nervous. Anyway, I followed the directions to first set it up and immediately download the latest firmware. First note is that I did the quick setup and that worked great. It prompted for the firmware upgrade and I did it. After doing it, I reset configuration back to factory default using the Web GUI. This ensures settings with the latest firmware are addressed in the config file. I've had stable connection and I've seen a performance improvement over the AC68U. For a single router system I highly recommended it.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Addy

AddyPerth

Good router with great range

This router is awesome. No connection drops and a great range. Bonus is that it has a futuristic love it or hate it design, and I absolutely love it. Sad thing is that it does not have an inbuilt modem, wherein I still have to use Optus’ Junkbox to connect with NBN. Beside this, the product is highly recommended

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Stevo

StevoAU

Amazing router

Date PurchasedDec 2017

3yr warranty, you may need it.

3 stars as it was a great unit while it worked, but...
1st RT-AC88U lasted ~6 months before dropping the 5Gwifi band permanently. Factory reset and rescue mode was unsuccessful. Returned to reseller.
2nd RT-AC88U lasted 4 hours before dropping the 2.4Gwifi band permanently. Factory reset and rescue mode was unsuccessful. Returned to reseller.
We have swapped to a RT-AC68U which looks to be a more reliable unit, only time will tell.

Date PurchasedSep 2017
testash

testashMelbourne

A fantastic router

I have been using the router for a while and I can not fault it. The Wi-Fi range is great yet no outstanding. I installed Merlin on it and it runs with no complaints. The software comes with a bunuch of very useful features (not only for geeks). If I had to purchase it again I would not think twice.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

Bruce

BruceMelton south

Perfomance, looks & features, but not actual function or operation!

Date PurchasedNov 2017

wusyc

wusyc

Good solid high performance router

I am using this router on my 100/40 NBN connection. It's wifi coverage and performance is great. It also has a lot of security features that most family needs. For more demanding user, there is also custom firmware available which makes the router even more flexible.

I only give 4 starts because the router seems to slow down the connection over a number of days. I am hoping that the latest firmware fixes this.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

DC

DCSydney

Poor customer support and unreliable connectivity issues spoil

Potentially very good router spoilt by poor ASUS technical support and unreliable connectivity issues. Needed regular (couple of times a day) reboot prior to connecting to its printer server and other devices e.g. Chromecast, for these devices to be recognised and operate correctly. Replacement with a new A6 hardware revision and latest firmware failed to fix the issues. After replacing with a TP Link router, the regular reboots were no longer needed.

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Raz

RazFrankston, Victoria, 3199

Excellent router for those that need good wireless coverage

Date PurchasedAug 2017