TP-Link AC1200 VR4000

TP-Link AC1200 VR4000

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Delz

DelzMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Good modem, does the job.

This modem is great and connects to my NBN. So far I have not had any issues with connectivity and not had any dropouts. The only thing which is a little bit confusing is setting up the modem. They could probably include some easier instructions for people who are not very tech savvy. I managed how to set this up after also looking online.

Purchased in May 2019 at Officeworks Physical store for $158.00.

Number of Connected Devices 3 devices
ISPMate NBN 100 (Soul Mates)
ModemTP-Link AC1200 VR4000

Ozzyrod

OzzyrodSouthwest, VIC

Great value for mid range dollars

Bought on Saturday and had it connected within the hour using easy to read and follow instructions. Purchased at Office Works for $168 (Nov 2019). All devices connected at 5 KHz and have had no buffering or lag issues

Purchased in November 2019 for $168.00.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
ISP1300 Easy ISP NBN Fibre NBN 50
Chatham L.

Chatham L.

okay for 2 storey townhouse

I Live in a 2 storey double brick townhouse. I can only receive 5g service when I was downstairs in the living room where the router is located. on a 50nbn plan.
upstairs on normal wifi i get about 12mb-20mb. sometimes even 5mb
downstairs i get about minimum 40mb
Dropout sometimes I get it once a week.
For NFC NBN users it is not plug and play. You have to read to manual to set it up.

Purchased in May 2019 at Harvey Norman for $140.00.

Number of Connected Devices 4 devices
ISPAussie Broadband NBN 50 (Standard Plus)

jnu123

Good range and reliable modem

For sub $100, this is a great modem with 3 years warranty, range is good and very reliable. 2.4G range is good but 5G range is acceptable. Some drop outs on 5G connection, but 2.4G performance is perfect.

This modem should be read TP-Link AC1200 VR400 NOT VR4000.

Purchased in July 2017 at Officeworks for $84.55.

JohnnoSydney

Slow VPN Speed

I won't bang on for hours, I use a VPN when watching UK TV etc, after contacting TP-LInk support I was told the VR400 is limited to 8-9 MB when using a VPN, I'm losing around 4.4MB compared to my 12 year old Billion on ADSL2+ other than that, the modem is good for the price, TP-Link Support is good, just wanted to warn about slow VPN speeds.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Gavin

GavinVIC, 3977

Great Long Range Modem

An excellent modem with a very long range which easily covers the entire house and allows a lot of devices to connect (multiple laptops, mobile phones, tablets at the same time) without any noticeable drop in speed. It was straight-forward to setup and I never had any issue with it.

Date PurchasedAug 2018

angry customer

angry customerMelbourne

Good router.

It has decent range, communicates well with the network. Haven't had any real dropouts. Signal goes through the walls pretty well. Several hardline outlets. Easy to understand functions and outlets. I download a fair bit for work and the unit has been constantly in use for about 9 months without issue.

Date PurchasedNov 2017

Matt

MattProspect

Very reliable

Purchased this modem when I signed up for the NBN with TPG. It's been very reliable. I've never had to do a reset. It was very easy to set up. The reception seems pretty good as I can still get a good signal from the back yard. Would definitely recommend.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
John439

John439Sydney

Good wifi range.

Bought this modem for our NBN service.. Has good WiFi range, interfered with our radios so had to turn off 2.4 mhz WiFi and you can't connect a VOIP phone to it. Also a bit ugly with antennas sticking up everywhere.
Overall not bad and I should have realised these shortcomings when I purchased.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
jetmyx

jetmyxCity of the Blue Mountains

Nicely priced Modem Router - effective

I was able to buy this router after a storm killed my previous 1. It has a 3year Warranty and is
VDSL/ADSL/Fiber/Cable Compatible, has AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi and Beamforming for Targeted Wi-Fi.
Cost $129

Jeff M.

Jeff M.asked

Can you plug you phone in this modem
I had a Optus supplied modem and I could do this on the nbn

Johnno

Hi Jeff, I don't think you can, just checked my AC1200 and it only has a DSL socket that is connected to my phone wall socket, I'm still on ADSL 2+ until Jan 2020, than will be connecting to NBN FTTC, I have a Line Filter at present that has one socket to the modem and one socket to the phone, I'm guessing you are on NBN? there are NBN modems that do have a phone socket, my 14 or so year old Billion Modem died, but it out performed the AC1200 by around 5Mbts when using a VPN? the Wi-Fi performance for the AC1200 is pretty good, I prefer to use Power over Line Adapters myself for the TV etc, no Wi-Fi dramas and the download speed is more or less the same as a direct Ethernet connection,
couple of links https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Where-to-plug-in-your-telephone-handset-with-NBN/ba-p/876 https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-curb-explained-fttc https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Where-to-plug-in-your-telephone-handset-with-NBN/ba-p/876 https://www.ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/index.php?cPath=28_530&osCsid=adubmpn7rdtbo3gicnuk3ai0s6. Johnno

jnu123

i have VR400 Version 1, there is no port to link your phone, but you can use this on FTTN, FTTC, HFC, FTTP NBN internet connection, it is a pretty good and reliable router too, 3 years warranty is very good.

Kaelasked

Does this modem router have a limit for connected wireless devices? I've noticed somewhat frequent internet drops when powering on certain devices (printer).

jnu123

There is a limit, but is over 100 devices, try 2.4g instead of 5g to connect printer, I use cable to connect my printer to this to link. Internet drop may be the reason of your internet provider , are you using nbn fttn or hfc technology?

Kael

Oh great, thanks. I have nbn fttn and I have it connected using 2.4g already. It happens when we send a print job on a laptop connected to the same network, but only occasionally (frequently enough to be frustrating).

Roger F.asked

How do I connect my phone? On my old router there are two phone ports (Tel 1 / Tel 2)

jnu123

there is no port to connect your phone on this router. you may try to connect your old router via LAN cable to VR400, then connect your phone to your old router phone ports either tel1 or 2.

Roger F.

Thanks for the answer. (Much appreciated). What you're saying is that I use my old router to receive the internet with the phone connected to Tel 1 and the VR400 purely as a router to distribute an amplified signal. An ethernet cable would join the two but would they have to be set up with identical SSID's etc.

Get an answer from our members and TP-Link representatives