V2, V3
See the Best Modems in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Listing monitored by TP-Link

• Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
  • Ease of Setup
  • Reliability
  • Wi-Fi Range
Interspecies Reviewer
Interspecies ReviewerNSW, 2430

Flawless stability, nearly perfect, It's the most stable home router/modem I've used in 30 years. It's just works!

Purchased in January 2021.

JuzzySouth East Queensland, QLD

The biggest piece of rubbish i've owned...

This modem is terrible, drops connection every few days, LAN plugs are not reliable and devices say that no cable is connected all the time.
Wireless has terrible connectivity, streaming video from a computer chrome tab to a chromecast that has an ethernet connection and it stutters and can't cope.

Purchased in January 2021.

Other Modems

Mohammad
MohammadSydney, NSW

Good coverage for single story building

I have received this with my TPG NBN connection. This is installed in my garage but the reception is very good. 20 miter distance and the speed is still good. USB printer driver does not work though.

Purchased in September 2019 at TPG.

Modems

Find out how TP-Link AC1200 Archer VR400 compares to other Modems

Delz
DelzMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Good modem, does the job.

This modem is great and connects to my NBN. So far I have not had any issues with connectivity and not had any dropouts. The only thing which is a little bit confusing is setting up the modem. They could probably include some easier instructions for people who are not very tech savvy. I managed how to set this up after also looking online.

Purchased in May 2019 at Officeworks Physical store for $158.00.

Ozzyrod
OzzyrodSouthwest, VIC

Great value for mid range dollars

Bought on Saturday and had it connected within the hour using easy to read and follow instructions. Purchased at Office Works for $168 (Nov 2019). All devices connected at 5 KHz and have had no buffering or lag issues

Purchased in November 2019 for $168.00.

Chatham L.
Chatham L.

okay for 2 storey townhouse

I Live in a 2 storey double brick townhouse. I can only receive 5g service when I was downstairs in the living room where the router is located. on a 50nbn plan.
upstairs on normal wifi i get about 12mb-20mb. sometimes even 5mb
downstairs i get about minimum 40mb
Dropout sometimes I get it once a week.
For NFC NBN users it is not plug and play. You have to read to manual to set it up.

Purchased in May 2019 at Harvey Norman for $140.00.

jnu123

Good range and reliable modem

For sub $100, this is a great modem with 3 years warranty, range is good and very reliable. 2.4G range is good but 5G range is acceptable. Some drop outs on 5G connection, but 2.4G performance is perfect.

This modem should be read TP-Link AC1200 VR400 NOT VR4000.

Purchased in July 2017 at Officeworks for $84.55.

JohnnoSydney

Slow VPN Speed

I won't bang on for hours, I use a VPN when watching UK TV etc, after contacting TP-LInk support I was told the VR400 is limited to 8-9 MB when using a VPN, I'm losing around 4.4MB compared to my 12 year old Billion on ADSL2+ other than that, the modem is good for the price, TP-Link Support is good, just wanted to warn about slow VPN speeds.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Other Modems

Gavin
GavinVIC, 3977

Great Long Range Modem

An excellent modem with a very long range which easily covers the entire house and allows a lot of devices to connect (multiple laptops, mobile phones, tablets at the same time) without any noticeable drop in speed. It was straight-forward to setup and I never had any issue with it.

Date PurchasedAug 2018
Modems

Find out how TP-Link AC1200 Archer VR400 compares to other Modems

angry customer
angry customerMelbourne

Good router.

It has decent range, communicates well with the network. Haven't had any real dropouts. Signal goes through the walls pretty well. Several hardline outlets. Easy to understand functions and outlets. I download a fair bit for work and the unit has been constantly in use for about 9 months without issue.

Date PurchasedNov 2017
Matt
MattProspect

Very reliable

Purchased this modem when I signed up for the NBN with TPG. It's been very reliable. I've never had to do a reset. It was very easy to set up. The reception seems pretty good as I can still get a good signal from the back yard. Would definitely recommend.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
John439
John439Sydney

Good wifi range.

Bought this modem for our NBN service.. Has good WiFi range, interfered with our radios so had to turn off 2.4 mhz WiFi and you can't connect a VOIP phone to it. Also a bit ugly with antennas sticking up everywhere.
Overall not bad and I should have realised these shortcomings when I purchased.

Date PurchasedMar 2018
jetmyx
jetmyxCity of the Blue Mountains

Nicely priced Modem Router - effective

I was able to buy this router after a storm killed my previous 1. It has a 3year Warranty and is
VDSL/ADSL/Fiber/Cable Compatible, has AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi and Beamforming for Targeted Wi-Fi.
Cost $129

Sophia P.
Sophia P.asked
AC1200 Archer VR400

Would this modem router work with a RJ-11 6P4C DSL cable? It comes with a RJ-11 6P2C cable.

Juzzy

Yes, because DSL only uses a single pair, contacts 1, 2, 5 & 6 are unused.
A 6P2C, 6P4C and even a 6P6C will work fine as it is the same physical sized connector.

TP-Link
Sean F.TP-Link

Thank you Juzzy for providing the correct answer, you beat us to it! Appreciate your assistance.

Jeff M.
Jeff M.asked
AC1200 Archer VR400

Can you plug you phone in this modem
I had a Optus supplied modem and I could do this on the nbn

Johnno

Hi Jeff, I don't think you can, just checked my AC1200 and it only has a DSL socket that is connected to my phone wall socket, I'm still on ADSL 2+ until Jan 2020, than will be connecting to NBN FTTC, I have a Line Filter at present that has one socket to the modem and one socket to the phone, I'm guessing you are on NBN? there are NBN modems that do have a phone socket, my 14 or so year old Billion Modem died, but it out performed the AC1200 by around 5Mbts when using a VPN? the Wi-Fi performance for the AC1200 is pretty good, I prefer to use Power over Line Adapters myself for the TV etc, no Wi-Fi dramas and the download speed is more or less the same as a direct Ethernet connection,
couple of links https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Where-to-plug-in-your-telephone-handset-with-NBN/ba-p/876 https://www.nbnco.com.au/learn/network-technology/fibre-to-the-curb-explained-fttc https://community.tpg.com.au/t5/Featured-Articles/Where-to-plug-in-your-telephone-handset-with-NBN/ba-p/876 https://www.ijk.com.au/branch/ijk/index.php?cPath=28_530&osCsid=adubmpn7rdtbo3gicnuk3ai0s6. Johnno

jnu123

i have VR400 Version 1, there is no port to link your phone, but you can use this on FTTN, FTTC, HFC, FTTP NBN internet connection, it is a pretty good and reliable router too, 3 years warranty is very good.

Kaelasked
AC1200 Archer VR400

Does this modem router have a limit for connected wireless devices? I've noticed somewhat frequent internet drops when powering on certain devices (printer).

jnu123

There is a limit, but is over 100 devices, try 2.4g instead of 5g to connect printer, I use cable to connect my printer to this to link. Internet drop may be the reason of your internet provider , are you using nbn fttn or hfc technology?

Kael

Oh great, thanks. I have nbn fttn and I have it connected using 2.4g already. It happens when we send a print job on a laptop connected to the same network, but only occasionally (frequently enough to be frustrating).

See all TP-Link AC1200 Archer VR400 questions

Get an answer from our members and TP-Link representatives

Compare both TP-Link AC1200 Archer VR400
CategoryRouters and ModemsRouters and Modems
Frequency BandDual-Band (2.4GHz, 5.0GHz)Dual-Band (2.4GHz, 5.0GHz)
FeaturesBeamforming, External Antennas, Mobile App Control, Parental Controls and Quality of ServiceBeamforming, External Antennas, Mesh Compatible, Mobile App Control and Parental Controls
Maximum Wireless Speed867 Mbps867 Mbps
Number of Ethernet Ports44
Wi-Fi Standard802.11 a, 802.11 ac, 802.11 b, 802.11 g and 802.11 n802.11 a, 802.11 ac, 802.11 b, 802.11 g and 802.11 n
DSL SupportADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL and VDSL2ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+, VDSL and VDSL2
Number of USB 2.0 Ports11
Number of USB 3.0 Ports00
Dimensions 32.5 x 243 x 160.6 mm31.6 x 215.6 x 124.6 mm
NBN CompatibleYes
Manufacturer Warranty3 year(s)3 year(s)
ManualDownload manualDownload manual