MPN: ING-2985978

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great value router

Router is rock solid with advanced features and great wifi strength. Ability to set static addresses easily in the front end and rename devices is very useful for IoT enabled homes. I have ~25-30 devices connected simultaneously and it works 100% without issue.

Purchased in March 2019.

Fantastic Router for FTTP NBN

I recently purchased this router after doing much research for a replacement for a standard issue Iinet TG-1 gateway router, when the wifi signal dropped out. The TG-1 had served us well, though the signal strength was somewhat limited at the corners of our relatively small home. The Asus RT-AC68U kept coming up as a recommended router for multiple setups including FTTP NBN, for it's fast and strong wifi capability.

It was super easy to install, requiring no special adjustments to connect directly to the fibre cable from the NBN gateway modem box. It was installed, connected to the internet and up and running in minutes after an initial firmware update, that was promoted automatically as part of the install process.

Initially I bridged the old TG-1 as a hardware firewall between the NBN modem and the Asus RT-AC86U, but it really was not necessary and cumbersome, so I removed it entirely and have connected the Asus directly the NBN gateway. Runs very well and fast, with strong signals on both 2.4 and 5 GHz channels. Actually, I only lose one bar on the 5GHz band at the farthest point in my house from the Asus and it still works well there.

For bigger homes, the idea of using the AIMesh functionality of linking two Asus routers together would make sense, as they can work together to establish a seamless wifi network, with one as a core router and the other as a node or access point in bridge mode. I'd purchase another one and establish this functionality if I need another router in the future. For now, I have a second TP-Link Archer 400 acting as an access point and can use the 5GHz channel on that when at the fringes of the Asus range, though, in reality, really do not need to do that - once Asus is more Ethan enough for a moderate size home or apartment etc.

Another attraction of this router was the ability to install VPN server firmware on board and use it as a VPN server through VPN providers such as Expressvpn. I initially did this install and used the router as a VPN router for our whole home network, though uninstalled it after discovering that it slowed download speeds down by around 10Mbps on average and also prevented use of services like Netflix

Much easier to go direct through the Asus router and the interface is very easy to use as well, with heaps of functionality and easy setting changes. I also like that you can fix static IP addresses within the DHCP range of the router and also adjust the range of address allocations easily. The other appealing feature is AI cloud, and the ability to share files remotely with the router and external devices connected through a dedicated weblink, which allows access to HDD/USB drives connected to the USB3/USB2 ports on the Asus.

I'm a bit of an Asus convert after purchasing this router. Great functionality at a reasonable price - paid $225 for mine and see you can buy a twin pack for $399 if you did want to go the AI mesh route. Highly recommended.

THis

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Not working out of the box, very frustrating experience

Hi I have wasted 3 hours today attempting to get this router to work, to no avail. I have set up 5-6 routers in the past with no dramas - but this one just didn't work. I haven't been able to access the router setup page. I have tried by Lan cable connection only for window 10 not to connect and wireless. It connected for about 10 minutes only and was able to look at the settings page, only for it to drop out again. Maybe I just bought a dud, but taking back to the shop tomorrow for a refund.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Good router

it meets the needs of a large family with lots of devices. I am always very satisfied with the connection. Our family of seven barely ever gets drop outs, almost never. This modem is very simple to set up and manage, just put it on the bench and get wifi.

Date PurchasedJul 2011

Great router

great asus router used to own a tp link router but it was too slow and cutting out all the time
but when we got this router everything is flying now soo happy what we purchased
This unit works well for us, from one end of the house to the other as well as our downstairs garage and well into our rear yard.
The router was easy to configure. The Asus interface is excellent and user friendly too.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Did all our research to find correct one - very happy

NBN rolled out to our street and started looking to find appropriate modem / router. Did all our research to find appropriate one. Finalised with this and purchased one. Had initial struggle with updating firmware, once followed the step in their website it is not that hard to update.

Always connected with 5+ devices and excellent range.

Very happy with this equipment.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Awesome family router

This meets the needs of a growing large family house easily. We often have multiple people streaming Netflix or similar movies without a problem. The router never acts up, it just does its thuing and always works. Initial set up was done by a tech savvy family member and I cant think of any major problems with it, just reset it occasionally. Works very well

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Solid performance for over a year

Virtually never need to restart this modem - its as solid a s rock and has reach right to every room on the house. Often have three people streaming Netflix simultaneously no problems at all. Initial set up was easy although I had to Google a few terms Good overall experience and I would definitely get the same model again. I think Ausus are just getting better and better

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Excellent experience with this router

This was a real breath of relief after my ancient Netgear that would collapse if you looked at it funny. I have reach in every room of the house and seriously good speeds. Set up was relatively painless although it took my a while to configure it. Never drops out - I just dont have to think about it. Good device

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Best router that my partner and I have ever owned

I had brought a refurnished ASUS RT-AC68U around 2 years ago, not long after my partner had brought one for his place. We are both equally amazed with this router, and if any of our Router break down, we have already made the decision that we would by the same product again. I have had so many routers and modems over the years, these happen to be the most stable that we both have owned, and are super fast, even transferring data from one device to another. As both of us live in a fiber to the premises area, we do not need a modem, I know that they will work on Telstra, iinet, mint telecom, telecube, launtel even on iprimus with some much about. They are not overly cheap, but not overly expensive either, very excellent for streaming as well, and very secure.

Date PurchasedAug 2016
Many people are saying this is an actual modem, which was supplied by isp ect, wonder if they are talking about other products, as this product is not a modem at all, it is a router. If people are on the NBN and are fiber to the premises, then you only need a router, not a modem/router.

Fast & Stable

We got this Asus router after having problems with our old D-Link N300 which kept dropping out and was quite slow. The Asus RT-AC 68U router has doubled our internet speed, is very stable with good coverage. We haven’t had any problems with the internet or the router since we installed it.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Not great

I got this modem when I purchased a 24 month contract with spintel and the modem arrived it's not a great quality and the internet seems so slow from it it was easy to set up but not happy with it not worth 149 I wish they provided better modems with better functions

Keeps disconnecting.

This may be a ISP problem and not a router problem but this router always disconnects for me. This is after deciding to spend lots of money on a quality router because the cheap one I got had the same problem. Only reason I don't rule out out completely as an ISP problem is because the first ever router I got for joining my ISP was very cheap and didn't have any of these problems until it stopped working. It's a shame because this router is very good for gamers and has all the features you would need to play games at a stable ping.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

Very Stable Modem, great wireless

Purchased this modem for replacement to DSL604T. This new Asus is much more stable without dropouts even when pushing it hard (opening folder of 10 pages simultaneously). Price is on the expensive side but well worth the investment.

Installation was very easy and intuitive, nice interface.
Wireless is very good and reaches all around my house (modem located in office which is central to the house)
Easily reaches my Solar inverter on the outside back wall of house.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Solid router with plenty of features

I purchased this router after online forums were raving about how good it was. It has not disappointed me. I am using it for home internet, home automation with numerous iot devices and media steaming. The devices struggle before the router does. The interface is user friendly compared to a lot of other routers. My only complaint is that I can't get the router to share my hard drive consistently. Ideally I'd like to use the onboard media server by plugging a hdd into one of the usb ports. I've tried this, set it all up and got it working but it keeps disconnecting. I think maybe the hard drive goes to sleep in some sort of power saving mode and it isn't recognised but I've spent enough time trying to get it working properly.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Works very well in our modern apartment

I have been using this in our newer style modern apartment and it works perfectly
Now we have moved to an older property it’s obsolete because we have a modem router.
Depending on individual needs it’s actually a good router does all the basic what’s a router is needed for.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Best router I've owned so far

I'm connected to Belong NBN, FTTP and was having issues with the service,slowing,dropping out,sometimes just useless but hardly ever getting what I was paying for. I tried 3 different modem/routers trying to resolve these issues with no luck,the Belong supplied router F@ST 4315, TP LINK Archer D9 and a Billion bipac 7800n,all with exact same issues,I rang Belong,they said there's no problem but reset the router anyway,no difference so I researched the the net and found this router,great reviews everywhere.The local MSY had them so I got one,connected it,upgraded firmware to latest due to some lockout issue I read about and It's been running for about 2 weeks now and not 1 problem,the difference is amazing,easy UI,great options,over 30 metres wifi range,couldn't be happier with this router,holds a constant 50/20 or close to and surfing the net and 2/3gb downloads are a breeze,finally enjoying great internet on all my devices either wired or wireless.At first I was reluctant to buy this because it's an old model,2014 but the firmware is regularly updated and there's plenty of info available if you need it,extremely happy so far with this purchase....UPDATE 15/9/18, Best router I've ever had.UPDATE 27/07/19,Still awesome,love it.

Purchased in April 2018.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
ISPBelong Broadband NBN
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Great and amazing

Hmmm this product is A M A Z I N G i love it it hooks up easily and it improved the speed i love how it has 3 networks beacuse this thing is amazing i love it. I would easily give it a 10 out of 10 amazing. GREAT

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Love it, Best Home Router I have owned

ASUS have a good reputation for high quality hardware and this router lives up to expectation, I'm a network engineer and work with high end equipment on a daily basis, this router has a lot of features I wouldn't expect at this price point and has not let me down

Date PurchasedJun 2016

Excellent hardware + above average software!

This is one of the most popular router in recent years, seen so many recommends online and I had pretty good experience with ASUS modem+router when I was on ADSL, so I went for this as no brainer.

The hardware is very solid, does what most modern gadgets could possibly need, excellent wifi coverage and speed, very reliable. The only draw back is the firmware is never quite perfect, I find some more advance feature is quite buggy, and it's not so easy to send feedback or getting tech support from ASUS, there's official community forum, but mostly answered/supported by community instead of ASUS tech, so when a feature breaks, you can only hope that it gets fixed in the next update. Although the software isn't perfect, ASUS is actively updating the software frequently!

There are quite a lot of "bonus" features, such as media server, and some NAS features, in my early experience, they work okay, far from great or flawless, it used to have limitation on the amount of media files you can index, which makes it useless if you have large collection, not sure if they have improved this. Anyways, if you plan to use the NAS feature a lot, you are better off getting a dedicate NAS server, even an entry level one would do better than ASUS router's bonus feature.