Avanti Quantum 2.0

Avanti Quantum 2.0

Great bike. More than what I was after

I purchased my Avanti Quantum 2.0 bike in November 2015. Earlier in the year I had purchase a mountain bike (Avanti Montari 7.3), then I decided I needed something better so went to a flat bar road bike (Avanti Blade 2.0). That bike was good but I had the bug. I wanted a road bike that was better than entry level but didn't want to pay a heap of money either. This bike has been great. I have racked up about 2,500 km this past year riding on weekends and occasionally to work. The bike is nice and stiff and responsive, lightweight, brakes are great and good for sprinting (social riding groups). The cassette was a little tall for me, so I have dropped in one that is a little nicer for climbing. I have had no issues what so ever with the bike and can't recommend it highly enough. Great value for money. One of the best investments I have ever made.

Date PurchasedNov 2015

Good Reliable Race / Weekender bike

I have had a 2011 Quantum 2 (full ultegra CR3 carbon) since 2011 and put a bit more than 5000km on it typically in 20-50km bursts with the odd 100km or so. Its reasonably light, more than stiff enough to power on and chase break-aways (and I am talking weekend groups not races) and stiff and throw-around enough for hills. I have no trouble keeping up with sprinters (until my legs run out). Reliability wise has been perfect and 4 years and 5000km later with no servicing (other than washing / lubricating chain at home) it is now just starting to want to adjust the shifters. I know there are fancier, lighter and more aero bikes out there, but the main reason I am not as fast as the fast guys is more about the rider than the bike. Comfort wise my 40+ year old frame is fine for an hour or two, but gets a little weary after 3-5, but that may be more me than the bike.

On the downside, there are lighter bikes now and the handling is.... Technically the handling is fine and stable in corners, but realistically it is a little sharper than I would really like. I think it is likely ideal if you are a criterion racer where you need fast reactions, but on the road in real world I would be happy for a half peg down, but having test ridden the Cadent before buying this, don't want to go that far the other way so this is a compromise I was willing to accept. I.e. for fast downhills, it demands more attention than my previous bikes. The flip side of the handling is you feell alive on the bike and you have to "ride" it rather than being a peddling passenger and whilst I lament older bikes that were more stable in a descent, being "alive" on the flats makes it more of an experience to tempt me out of bed.

Brakes - absolutely fine - plenty of power and original (ultegra) pads still OK (just) after 5000km

Gearing:
If you are average or below fitness and have decent hills around then the 39/25 is a little tall and perhaps too tall for me as min climbing speed seated is circa 14km/h and ideally (with my fitness level) I would like to go slower and not burn out as quick. If I get new wheels I will get a larger tooth cluster as well. If buying one new, see if you can negotiate a taller rear cluster to help with the hills a litltle. (Note this problem is widespread amongst many bikes sold as "racers" but really aimed at us weekend warriers who can't sustain 10% gradients at these high speeds, which the pros can). Big chain ring minimum (happy cadence) speed is about 28km/h (on the 25 tooth cluster) which means big chain ring is mostly used for downhills and down winds, and little one for the everything else (maxing out in 10th in the mid 40's). God knows what max speed is on the big one and 10th gear...but faster than I can peddle. I.e. gearing is too tall for average riders.

Ultegra
My previous bike had 105, which is fine, but Ultegra is better, smoother and quicker changes. Crank is lighter with less flex meaning more power in each stroke. Ultegra chain seems to still be OK, but front crank teeth wearing (as do many others). Rear cluster teeth still looking Ok.

Wheels
Original Mavic's are good and fault free after 4 years, but not the lightest or best around, but have survived perfectly straight despite normal potholes and speedbumps. I am considering an upgrade rather than upgrading whole bike.

Race pedigree - I don't race and generally average about 30 solo on the flat, but a mate who had the "Team" with exactly the same aerodynamics, frame size and geometry could average 38km/h solo for 200km so there's nothing wrong with the bike and its abilities.

Overall - very good bang for your buck for weekend warrier. If you are a criterion race, buy the Team and be race with the best, if you are a budget concious weekend warrier - good, if you are a climber, get a 28 tooth cluster. Generally these are slightly cheaper than comparable Giant's, Trek's and the like with a little more involving handling.

Great Bike

I figured I'd write a review after seeing the bad review someone else gave this bike. I purchased this about 16 months ago and have put over 10 thousand kilometers on it already. It's been a great bike and a lot of fun to ride. It's light enough to perform well on hills and is stiff enough to be able to sprint. I didn't like the wheels that it came with but I found some inexpensive replacements that work well.

This is a horrible bike.

I have this bike and it is absolute rubbish. Do not buy this hunk of junk. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a Koga Kimera. Now I know a silly daffier named [name removed]. He bought one of these stupid bikes when I had told him not to. AND HE REGRETS IT.
Its Carbon
EVERYTHING and low grade carbon.

That's the worst review I've ever read. If you're going to slag off a bike, the least you can do is explain why, mate. Otherwise, it's a total waste of time.