Azzurri Monocoque Primo

Azzurri Monocoque Primo

great if you don't have any issues...

I posted this on the Forza frame by mistake, it should have been here.

Yes they appear good value for money, but...
I have a warranty claim that they agree is legit, however, they want to give me a frame (without forks) that doesn't match my current frame, so basically useless. Plus they want me to pay $200 to ship the frame. When I question them (only via email as there is no phone number) they ignore me...

The frame does start to flex alot after only a couple of years.

Date PurchasedJan 2012

Check your frame warranty

My Azzuri bike has a lifetime warranty and the frame snapped in the 8th year of ownership.
When i went to make a warranty claim they told me that the warranty isnt valid after 7 years on a alloy frame!
So much for a lifetime warranty!
Is this the same with other bicycle brands?

Date PurchasedSep 2010

Climbs and descends really well and runs alomost silently when in a mid-range gear. Overall fantastic bike for the price ($2,600 AUD). Highly recommended.
Light weight, looks, responsiveness, VFM, great componentry and wheelset.
Not sure yet, only had it 2 days, agree that the rivetted cable stops ain't particulary aesthetic but they are functional, currently getting a lot of chain noise in highest and lowest gear, but I suspect this is a set-up issue rather than the bike itself. Barsm flex quite a bit (I'm only 63Kg).

Now I’ve had it expertly fitted [an extra $150 at Kennedys … best $150 you will ever spend on your bike] it fits like a glove. I now have a full carbon, Ultegra SL rig that flows like water. It’s smooth, comfortable and effortlessly fast …. And although I’ve yet to put any rides in over 2.5 hrs I think its worth around +0.5-1.5 kmph average speed. OK so the brand does not pass muster with the Café Racer crowd but I can smile when I know I have paid half what others have for a comparable set up. Do yourself a favour and check one out.
Combination of components, frame, reputation for after sales support and price. Mine cost $2,100 with Ultegra SL and upgraded Mavic Aksium wheel set. I’ve ridden an alloy Learsport for 3.5 yrs and heard numerous good news stories about after sales support and no nonsense warranty claims. Add to this the great review in last months Bicycling Australia I was sold.
Frame is quite upright and not completely suited to my body shape so I have had to swap out the seat post, stem and bars to create a more relaxed geometry [bars & stem at no charge – I paid the difference to a more expensive FSA seatpost that allows more set back]

I did the 2007 Around the (Port Phillip) Bay in a Day ride on my Azzurri in 5 hours and 34 minutes, a respectable result for someone born in 1944 and proof that for the longest ride of the year there has been no fatigue factor. Before buying the Azzurri I checked models and prices of all major competitors including Colnago and for value for money the Azzurri took the stage win. Just check the specs and compare. Oh, and another thing. You many never have won the Tour de France or the Tour Down Under but this bike's good looks just might suggest that you have.
If you're making the leap to a carbon bike then this is the bike to leap onto. Lightweight bike at a lightweight price - for carbon that is. This bike comes at less than $3000. For that you get a 7.7kg machine that's got that sleek black "carbony" look with flashes of red and a hefty oversize head stem support. Then there's those organic shapes down the stays. Whether they improve your aerodynamics it's hard to say. And there's the acceleration. If you're getting off an alloy bike onto an Azzurri Primo then hang on. Plant the cleats and the 7.7kg frame offers pure exhilaration. I like FSA seat and the Shimano wheels. This machine offers a nice stiff ride but will handle road harshness with the right amount of vibration damping that, for me anyway, does not transmit to wrists and arms. If you enjoy climbing then you are in for a treat. The bike's low mass pays valuable dividends on those long climbs. For me it's sprinting, I love the way this bike tracks so well on long flat stretches.
I'm still searching for any or those minor irritations. A slight cracking sound in the head stem had me alarmed but that settled down. I'm getting tired of telling fellow riders what I think of the bike and how much I paid.

I bought a 2008 version in 2009 and got it for about 2000 US dollars including shipping from a private supplier in Taiwan. After cars, holidays and my house it is probably the most expensive purchase in my life, but perhaps also best value for money. Indeed, just the best purchase I have ever made.

In the three months since I have purchased it I have lost more than 6 Kg in weight. It is so light, fast and *smooth* that I want to ride it every day.

PS about the Primo downtube
I THOUGHT that the wide diameter (5cm) down tube was a bit excessive at first and wondered if it increases drag. But then the look grew on me. I also hear that the Trek Madone (about 9000 USD) has an 8cm diameter downtube. Added to the fact that road bikes are more areodynamic with a drink bottle on the downtube, I suspect that a wide diameter down tube may decrease drag by acticing as a mini fairing in disguise.
Very light, price, top quality parts, shock absorbtion, looks, thick down tube (see overall opinion).
Nothing really but...As with any carbon bike the frame has a wide diameter so it can be difficult fitting accessories, such as the sensor for my bike computer. I eventually used that air conditioner cable clips. It comes with an ample 35cm post but I had to purchase a 40cm seat post. Since I use aerobars, I would like LESS of an offset on the seatpost, contra the other reviewer who wants more.

Update. Now in early 2013, I have had my Azzuri Primo for 3 and a half years during which time I have ridden about 200Km a week. I am fairly trim, at least in summer, thanks to this bike. It asks to be ridden, puts out speed 34khm on the flat no problem (I am 48), and irons out the bumps. I thought at the beginning of last season that the bike had lost its stiffness (as one of the reviews above says) but it turned out to be (predominantly) a problem with the free wheel hub of the Mavic Aksium wheels. They have a plastic bush that wears out causing play in the rear cassette. When I fixed that (by buying another pair of the same wheels! I could have bought another hub but they are not cheap) I can't say that I notice a loss of stiffness in the frame. Maybe, but not so that it matters to me. At the same time, I like riding my Azzurri so much that I am sick of commuting on an hard and heavy aluminum bike (Trek Fx 7.3) and plan to get another carbon bike so that I can both commute and have fun on "magic carpet" carbon. I can't seem to find Azzurri bikes where I am (in Japan) so I am thinking of getting a FELT Z5 with 105 as opposed to Ultegra components. I hope it is almost as good. My Azzurri has been, and remains, super. Update I am being asked to verify my email address but I must have already done so to post the review above. I am going to try again. I still love my Azzurri Primo after three and a half years. Some people say the carbon frame goes soft, and I thought that mine had after three years (partly because I had read reviews that said so) but I think that it was the freewheel hub in the Mavic Aksium wheels. Mavic Wheels (and not only the Aksium) have a plastic freewheel bush that wears down, a well known problem for which one can get after parts, or a new bush, or a new hub, or in my case a new pair of wheels to cure. The worn hub causes wobble in the rear cassette. I mistook this for softness in the frame. I do not notice softness now with new Mavic Aksium wheels, and my bike is 3.5 years old. I may get a FELT Z5 however, as I love riding my carbon Azzurri bike so much that I want my commuter bike to be carbon too (as opposed the heavy, hard, bomb proof Trek FX 7.3 I am riding currently)! I can't get an Azzurri where I am. I got it direct from Taiwan on an online auction but there are none on offer now. The well reviewed Felt F5 seems, on paper, to be slightly inferior in that it has 105 as opposed to Ultegra parts. It weighs about the same, and is of a similar price. The FELT has a more upright seatpost which may help me since I have a very high seatpost, to suit my long legs (compared to my arms/body it seems) and with the rearward angle of the Azzurri it means that the 540mm top bar is a bit of a stretch when I factor in the rearwardness of the saddle on its long seat post. But anyway, the Azzurri Primo is perhaps my favourite ever purchase. I remain fairly in shape, and/because I'm able to cruise at about 34Khm at 48yrs old on my magic carpet of a carbon bike. Thank you Azzurri!5 years after purchase in May 1009, I am still loving my Azzurri Primo Comparison with Felt Z5 I bought a Felt Z5 as a backup bike (and I needed it when the dérailleur hangers of my Primo broke) but I am not using it yet because 1) The Shimano 105 parts on the Felt Z5 are almost the same but, 1..1) the brake lever top-knobs are not as ergonomic as the curvaceous Ultegra top-knobs on the Primo, 1.2) The Ultegra crank arms (as mentioned above) do not flex, whereas the 105 crank arms seem to flex and make noises when I put pedal to metal. 2) The handlebars are wider on the felt and are "my size" (according to bike lore). But bicycle lore is full of cow pat. I prefer the 38cm handlebars on the Primo because, while thinner than my shoulders they keep me in a more pointy aero shape. 2) The Felt Z5 feels stiffer, and this is "meant" to be good, according to bike lore, but bike lore is cowpat. Look here, look there, so many people are on mountain bikes on the road. Everywhere there people with big tyres and OFF-ROAD suspension. There is a reason for this. Comfort is more important than acceleration. Who does a Cavendish from the traffic lights anyway? I know that I praise the acceleration and suspension of my carbon bike above, but now that I am a priest of the church of the carbon bike I am aware of the mysteries. Carbon is not "20% lighter than aluminium" or "a couple of kg lighter than aluminium." Carbon provides, above all, suspension. It is the "landspeeder" "bikelessness" provided by carbon that is important, NOT the few lost pounds/Kg. My Azzurri still feels really bikeless, smooth and it is this that makes me want to ride it, at speed, with great loss in flab (I am now 10kg lighter than when I bought it and I am not at the end of the biking season).

I bought this bike as a replacement for a very cheap older alloy bike after making a commitment to take my very infrequent riding up a notch. My original intention was not to go "full carbon" but this bike was too good to pass up the discounted price of $2600.00 for the 2009 model with Ultegra SL gear to boot. I have no complaints whatsoever in the way the bike handles. It is fast and responsive when sprinting , climbs well and behaves impeccably on descents (almost makes the climbs worth doing for the descents alone!!). I don't understand why you don't see more Azzuri bikes on the road if the rest of the range is as good as the Primo but am happy to keep it my7 little secret!!
Responsive, lightweight, very smooth Ultegra groupset, the price
nothing to complain about yet after 6 weeks

My frame is 3 years old now and has lost much of it's original stiffness.
Still runs well though. Must upgrade the wheels though - I have Zipps 404 for flats and Mavic R-sys for hills.
Value for money - performance similar to frames costing twice as much
Great value for money bike - limited life in the frame - needs better wheels.

The Azzurri Monocoque Primo is a really fantastic bike and riding it is not only fun but also safe. The brakes work amazingly well and the bike is so light so I can easy transport it anywhere.
The Azzurri Monocoque Primo is an awesome ride. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago as I love to ride and it hasn't since let me down once. I love the frame- it's so attractive- and the handle bars haved a really good grip.
I have nothing bad at all to say about the bike, and I've owned it for four months.

I purchased the bike two weeks prior to this years RTB ride and did the 250km. Great frame was nice and stiff and responsive on hills and the road vibration aborbtion was fantasti, particularly with the full carbon frame and FSA bars. Unfortunatly I had a little "new bike" cable stretch which I adjusted out during the RTB, however Moroni's also offer free first service which should fix that for future rides. Great Bike, Great Price, Great Service at Moroni's in Bendigo!!!!
I had been riding a 2006 Giant OCR 1.0 for the past 2 yrs and was looking at purchasing a full carbon Giant, possibly a TCR when I saw the write-up on the Azzurri Primo in Bicycle Vic magazine. After a test ride I was sold as this bike offers second to none value for money with a great frame, components and ride for what I was looking for. Mark at Moroni's in Bendigo did a great job in setting me up on the large frame size (no charge), proper set-up with a professional doing it is worther its weight in Carbon (gold).
The only con I have noticed thus far would be the pop-riveted cable shroud frame anchors which I feel my cause problems after a few years of use, I could be wrong on this but as an engineer i felt this method of attachment is a little cheap'n'nasty for such a great machine. I have also changed over the FSA Alloy bars for a nice carbon FSA set as well as swap over the standard rear cluster for a 12-25 which is more suitable for my home riding environment around Wooden/Mt Macedon.