Bankwest Qantas World Mastercard

See the Best Frequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

CategoryFrequent Flyer & Travel Credit Cards and Rewards Credit Cards
Card TypeMastercard
BenefitsNo Foreign Transaction Fee and Reduced First Year Annual Fee
Rewards ProgramQantas Frequent Flyer
Points Earn Rate 1 points per $1
Points Conditions
  • 1 point per $1 spent on eligible purchases for the first $5,000 spent each month

• 0.5 points per $1 spent on eligible purchases after the first $5,000 spent each month

There is no cap on earn rate.

Contactless PaymentsApple Pay and Google Pay
Rates & Fees
Purchase Rate20.49% p.a.
Cash Advance Fee2%
Late Payment Fee$25
Annual Fee$270 p.a.
Foreign Transaction Fee 0%
Interest Free Period 44 days
Cash Advance Rate20.49% p.a.
Introductory Offers
Sign-Up Bonus Receive 90,000 bonus Qantas Points when you spend at least $6,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months.
Reduced First Year Annual Fee $135.00

Application took a while to be verified

I applied for this credit card prior to 31 August to take part in a Qantas points promotion. My application was conditionally approved straight away, but due to the promotion, apparently there was a backlog of 2 weeks where staff had to verify each application. There was a bit of back and forth regarding what documents I was required to submit etc. After a few days of back and forth, we had to wait for my next payslip which was 4 weeks later. I would have given it 1 star, but from the date I sent my second payslip, I received the card details within a day, and the physical card in the mail by the 2nd day. I am also quite impressed by the online banking experience as well. Bonus is that it doesn't have international transaction fees as well.

Rates and Fees
Rewards
Online Experience
Application Process
Card Start DateSeptember 2019
Main Point of ContactPhone
Card / Account Used ForOverseas/Travel

Absolute incompetent team

Wanted to apply for a Bankwest World card (Qantas). I read the eligibility criteria and easily fulfill the requirements with my current income (World card required minimum $75k annual income). Had applied for numerous other credit cards with similar requirements and approved without any hassles.

Went directly to Bankwest website and applied. Entered in the details required, and when I got to the final step (before submission), the World card changed to Platinum. Called up Bankwest and they said that I am not eligible for the World card, but they have received my application for the platinum (Platinum requires minimum $35k annual income). When I questioned them why I was not eligible for the World card, they said they do not know, as the platform is automated. And when I advised them that I have yet to submit my application, they assured me that they have already received my platinum card application??? At that point, I decided to just go ahead.

Received an email confirming conditional approval. Submitted all required supporting documents on the same day (with the reference number on the email subject as requested). 4 days later, received a reminder indicating that I have yet to submit all required documents (asking the same documents again). Called up Bankwest to clarify, and the rep advised that something was missed and he will update on his end and submit for approval. Another 4 days later, received an email from the Bankwest Rep, asking for further paperwork (which again was already submitted previously). Called up again, and was then advised that the application has yet to be sent for approval, and again needed further documents (which was again sent previously). Resent the paperwork again nonetheless. No reply, no confirmation. Called up couple of days later, and was then told the application has been declined, and they cannot provide an explanation.

Wasted close to 3 weeks. The team at Bankwest can only be described as incompetent and the process is absolutely frustrating. Lost valuable credit rating for a card that requires only a fraction of my income (while my credit rating is rated as very good, and I only have 1 other CC, which only has a $6000 limit). Never again.

Update. Applied for a NAB Qantas CC same day I posted above review. $75k requirement. Got it approved today. Literally 7 days later. Much better platform, way more responsive, and communication was adequate. The application with Bankwest has got to be the worst experience I have ever had with a CC. It was stressful, frustrating and upsetting. And i am only making an educated guess here. From the correspondences, my belief is the only reason I was rejected was because the handling of the supporting evidence I submitted. For their sake, I sincerely hope, I was just extremely unlucky to get assigned multiple clueless staff members. Never again.

no customer service, telephone staff is rude, behave like a judge, and make me feel a offender

credit card department staff is rude. trying everything to decline my application.
asking details not in once, called me 1st time, ask this.
called second time ask that. called third time asking something else. Why can't ask everything in one go.
Email communication received is general email - why can't ask/talk things in the email.
treating customer like a offender, staff behaves like a judge.
Why bankwest as a credit card provider tries to do everything to decline application?
Bankwest's credit card application assessment tool has problems, don't consider everything.

Rates and Fees