Black Wolf Tuff Dome

Black Wolf Tuff Dome

Dome, Dome Plus, Dome Twin

See the Best Tents in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Good design but poles are rubbish

Change the poles

I work for a company that use these tents. They are a nice and large design with plenty of room to stand. I must agree with the other reviewer though in regards to the poles. We are constantly wasting time repairing the poles that instead of flexing like they should they snap and in some cases pierce a hole in the fly. With poles not being an item covered under warranty we waste money also on buying more poles from black wolf direct.

Great tent

Mike, very surprised about the pole issue. We have been using our Tuff dome plus for 5 years and the poles are still perfect. The only issue we have had was a connector that snapped. Called Black Wolf and had a replacement in the mail in 2 days. The poles are prestressed; ie pre bent; so can cope with very high winds. They are not meant to be straight when the tent is taken down. We use the tent for about 40 nights a year; winter as well as summer. It's been through a LOT of nasty weather and never leaked. Up in 22 mins, down in 12. A great tent.

TiptoesGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

This is a great family tent that doesn't weigh a ton.

Kojak

KojakFremantle

High quality tent puts others in the shade

jenny36
jenny36

Give it a big miss, poles snapped on our first camping trip. I had to beg for a replacement and then they sent me the wrong ones

Neil24Adelaide

Tried and true design but decent quality

Mike_RAU

Don't buy one!

Liked it because it was suppose to be tuff, not so within 3 days use the pole snapped , rendering the tent useless , returned the tent for a refund and still no result going on 3 weeks now.

Poles need to be fiberglass so they flex , not bend and break like the aluminum one's do and hole the tent ! Absolutely useless .

Don't waste your money , buy the cheapie like my mates did and it out lasted the tuff dome on our recent camping trip .

True story.
Amount of room .
The aluminum poles are useless .

Astroloteasked

Is there a solution or an explanation to the Tuff 4's apparent pole issue?
Are these tents not tested for high wind?
I am surprised that such a relatively expensive tent would break a pole easily.

Andrew
Andrew

Yes, it was disappointing. Since I wrote that review black wolf have released a new version which I understand has completely new poles so I assume they recognised they had a problem and addressed it. I haven't got the new version but if the pole problem is fixed it would be a great tent - we are actually thinking of buying the new version to replace the old one.

Thanks for the info.

Astrolote

Could I ask another question please? Do the inner tent windows and door have both a mesh and a solid fabric layer? Can they be zippered up/down individually?

Jim

Jimasked

Is there a footprint available for the Tuff Dome Twin?

Tiptoes

Hi Jim. Not that I am aware of. We use an oztrail shade cloth under ours. Water passes through to the ground without pooling and it provides protection from rocks and sticks. Works very well and is low cost. Never had any dampness using this method. Great tent the Tuff Dome.

annie24

annie24asked

Could you please tell me whether the tuff dome twin has more than one room ie Is the tent divided somehow into two rooms?

Neil24

The Tuff Dome and Tuff Dome Plus do not have room dividers and have no provision to attach one. I am 99% sure that the Twin is the same.

Mike_R

Hi , no it's just one big area / room .
To be honest I took it back for a refund
As the alie poles snapped after 6 days camping in fair weather , I was not happy .
I would not buy one again , my Freinds had
Far cheaper dome tents that preformed much better than the tuff dome .
be warned, hope this helps.

Mike .

KW

We used one for about ten years and never had a problem with the poles until we lent it to the kids for a festival. Black Wolf sent us out a whole new pole within a week. It comes with a lifetime warranty. Every other dome tent with poles we have ever used has had far more problems coping with wind and rain. The Tuff dome doesn't leak, is easy to set up, and due to the double walls is a (slightly) warmer winter camping option.

Get an answer from our members and BlackWolf representatives