Black Wolf Turbo Lite

Black Wolf Turbo Lite

210, 240, 300 and 450

Great BIG tent !

I purchased the Blackwolf 450 turbo lite cabin tent in June 2018 to take the family camping for the July school holidays to Tamala Station, Shark Bay WA. After the initial set up (which wasn't as easy as first thought but mainly due to the fact that we didn't extend the roof poles before locking the side poles in place, and it was blowing a gale which made putting the fly on somewhat of a challenge) we finally got it up and sat down to dinner when a massive storm hit. Happy to report that the tent withstood torrential rain (20-30mm) and gusty (>50kmh) winds without an issue, however like Gigi's review (Feb 13 2018) I also had an issue with the awning poles coming out and the awning flapping about. This was overcome by using extra guy ropes and sand pegs (and big rocks) and tying the awning to my car roof basket. Besides this we stayed warm and dry. The tent is very well constructed and pretty easy to set up and take down, with the bag big enough that it doesn't take two people to stuff the contents in and zip up. Heaps of room for a double inflatable mattress and 3 stretchers and luggage and enough height to stand up (I'm only 169cm), and more windows than a Microsoft factory. Highly recommend this tent.

Quality materials disappointing engineering

Really wanted to love this tent. Looks good great materials and concept the downfall was the actual engineering and make. The attached canopy is a fantastic idea but hasn’t been executed very well. On very slight wind conditions the canopy pics up like a kite. We were so concerned about how flappy/the canopy/ fly was. It was also poorly fitted on the tent. The awning pole was clumsy and just disjointed. We had to collapse the awning completely and tie rope around the tent to stop it from flapping. We even slept in the car because we weren’t sure if the poles were going to snap. We were so disappointed Especially with such a high price point. We bought based on its reputation but gravely disappointed in how poorly the design concept was executed. Blackwolf could take a leaf out of Burke & wills instant tent which was so stable and secure (we saw recently on display at anaconda). Cannot recommend black wolf cabin 450.

Quick, Easy & light set up

husband and i purchased this tent about 7 years ago along with the super fly. tent is quick literally 90 seconds to open and pop up. easy enough for a woman to carry and set up on her own as well. would highly recommend the superfly with this tent as it adds an extra room with removable doors so you can keep your kitchen and dining in there, nice to have another room especially when it rains and you aren't just sitting in the tent.

the only issue we found was heavy condensation in the tent from what we put down to having the lighter material.. we just had to move the bed in the middle of the tent and avoid the side panels in the mornings otherwise you would wake with water on bed or dripping on face. we even purchased the laundry moisture absorbent packs to help wit this problem. this tent is perfect in summer because the lighter material keeps the air flowing however in the winter it is very crisp cold inside.

we recently upgraded to the 300 plus turbo (thicker material), no issues so far with condensation.

Solid

Having previously owned a black wolf turbo lite 240 twin, and having owned a basic dome tent after that, I decided to go for the turbo lite 210. Perfect size now that the kids are doing their own thing. I was disappointed with the quality of the dome tent that had lasted me only a handful of trips so decided to spend a few more dollars and buy something that would last. I wasn't keen on the weight of the turbo canvas model as most of the time I set up by myself. This tent is great. A few minutes set up, super strong frame and annex poles, heavy weight rip stop poly fabric and a decent size annex. And the good thing about black wolf tents is that you don't need to wrestle it to get it back into its bag, plenty of room. Ventilation is not as good as a dome, with cloth vestibule, so the top vents and windows need to be open at night to prevent condensation where possible. I recently added front and side covers to the annex which work well and save setting up a tarp when camping by yourself or on short trips. The size is ok for two but if you are tall or are using it for two most of the time I would suggest going for the 240 or 300.