BMW S1000R

BMW S1000R

See the Best Super Sport Bikes in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Great All rounder

Why I didn't give 5 stars?

1, suspension damping not customisable!
2, no custom ride mode!!
3, no custom adjustability for traction, abs etc !!!

These functions are electronically customisable on S1000RR from the dash so I didnt like the fact that BMW locked it down on the R. You pay premium price for a premium bike and still dont get full adjustability. Hopefully this will be taken care in the future revisions.

Otherwise it's 5 stars for its performance and handling. Very easy to ride, easier than a Honda. Despite the torque the power delivery is smooth. As all the ride reviews say it's a great bike overall. Brake is awesome, the only bike I didnt feel like installing aftermarket Brembo master cylinder. Build quality is good as you would except from a premium bike.

I have owned both sports and upright bikes and I was looking for a 'sportsbike' which can comfortably cover 500 + kms of winding roads in a day and this bike delivers that.

I have the 2017 model with nearly 20,000km on it purely from recreational rides.
Mods: Touring Screen, Wilbers rear suspension with DDC, comfy seat.

If you do not want a full on naked bike or a sports bike then this bike fits in the middle. The position, chassis and handlebar turning circle are all towards the sportier side. If reliability was not an issue I would have bought the Aprilia Tuono which is more sportier than the S1000R.

Issues fixed so far:
1, The rattling noise in idle was got fixed by replacing cam chain tensioner under warranty after 15,000 kms. It'a known issue.
2, Front wheel bearing developed a friction point which was noticed around 15,000 kms. This has been replaced under warranty.
3, Ignition won't turn off even if the key is taken off which started around 20,000kms and the ignition barrel has been replaced under warranty.

BMW service and support has been great so far.

Purchased in June 2018.

Gear Shifting
Handling
Suspension

An all round super bike

I have had the 2018 for 3 months. I have had super sports bikes before, and wish i had switched to this bike earlier. It is a quick and easy bike to ride. It has all the super bike features with the added comfort and ride-ability from a fun weekend track or country ride to a daily weekday commute to work.
It has power & torque throughout the ranges.
There is a minor con being; not as easy to filter through tight traffic because of the wider handle bars. Apart from that, it is a fun & predictable bike to ride

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Brilliant

Believe it or not I swapped my 2017 s1000rr for the s1000r! It is user friendly, handles great, and fast. While not as terrifying as the RR, it's much better on the streets. The low end grunt is superb as is the up/down quick shifter. I love the way it can be chucked on its side in perfect safety. It brakes like a demon and corners like it's on rails. Fantastic bike.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Fantastic bike

This is a very impressive motorcycle. It is a good mix of brute power and excellent handling tamed by selectable rider modes that make it (comparatively) a very safe bike. Probably the best naked bike I have ridden.

I am thinking about trading for the S1000r, the R1250RS is not due until Sept. I will be having a ride next week. This will be my last bike and will be doing some long trips and considering the comfort seat & Touring Screen. Does any have comments on the Touring Screen & Seat functionally for the long rides.
I have comfort seat from BMW and Wunderlich touring screen. I come from sportsbikes so it’s much more comfortable for me. If you are from ADV background I am not sure how you will find the R because the riding triangle is sportier than GS. If you are coming from sportsbikes then you will appreciate the comfort. Seat comfort depends on bum pressure points and rider posture and height determines screen protection. I guess once you buy a bike you will find ways to customise it for more comfort. I have done 5000kms of sports touring through winding roads in 10 days with 15kg luggage.Na Cruisers, Harleys, etc & now F800GT so I a tipping a dramatic change in all respects. Have a test next week with the screen fitted. Thankyou WiffaGood luck mate. Any Questions shoot it.