Suzuki GSX-R1000

Suzuki GSX-R1000

GSX-R1000 and GSX-R1000L2

Suzuki 2005 (K5) Godzilla. King of Beasts.

I have a boot in both camps...Ducati and Suzuki.

I was so fortunate in purchasing, by my reckoning, the finest, unmolested example of the mighty K5 Gixxer, in Australia. Utterly bog standard and in the blue/black/white livery with only 8,400 klms on the clock.

As is; it is an amazing beast. Light. Ultra power and decent torque for a Jap bike. That said, the OEM suspension is a tad harsh, be that as it may you could try to dial it out, however I went a different route.
Kyle Engineering in the USA fabricated me custom Ohlins fork cartridges (NOT the Ohlins FGK119 cartridges which are discontinued). These are one-off, never to be made again cartridges, utilising Ducati the 848/1098/1198 30mm ‘slave’ cartridge cylinders and 10nm springs for my weight.
I also purchased the Ohlins rear shock (sprung to suit my weight) and and bloody expensive Ohlins steering damper.

The TOKICO calipers are fine. Just swap out the pads for FERODO pads. Front and rear.

There’s no real purpose to re-gear it with sprockets...unless you want to mono the sucker like a 22 year old. That said, I’ve purchased the frame brace and the optional body panels to suit once the frame brace is installed.

Suzuki didn’t realise what they had made until 2009 or so, 4 years after the fact, and indeed, that they had built one of the most classic and potent Suzuki road-going Superbikes ever made. Period.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

2006 GSXR1000

The king of one litre bikes, it is as light as a 600cc, so it handles amazing. Parts and service are easy and cheap compared to other bikes. K5-6 gsxr still holds the world record as fastest production bike in the world 0-100 in 2.35 sec.

The power delivery is amazing from low, mid and high revs. I have riden many one litre bikes new and old such as r1, cbr, zx10, and none have the low to mid range power like the gsxr.

SUZUKI is producing o.e.m.parts again which is great news.

The current gsx 1000 is using the k5-6 engine with less power, so it says alot if this engine is still in production.

I can not fault this bike any any way, all I could say is if you go to the track and are a very good rider you would want to upgrade the brakes and suspension set up. It's got plenty of brakes for the road or average skilled riders on track .

Also there is no stability or traction control which means it's not suitable for non experienced riders. Then again no bike from that era had electronic assistance.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

King of the litre-commuters

As the title states, this is the king of the litre-commuters.

What does this mean, you ask?

Simple. If you commute on motorcycles daily, love the look of sports bikes and are looking for something that comes stock-standard with a comfortable seat, comfortable riding position and most importantly, an engine layout that doesn't roast you butt when you're riding to work, this is your bike.

Having test rode the following bikes: 2015 R1, R1M, 2013 R1 (Old Crossplane engine), ZX10R, Ducati Panigale 899/1099, VTR1000F, CBR1000RR

Of this pool, the only other bike that came close in terms of comfort was the VTR1000F, just had a clunky gearbox I didn't like.

I am 6'1 and 120kg -- This bike is unbelievably comfortable, has fantastic riding position that doesn't strain your back and has plenty of power for safe overtaking, unsafe overtaking, unsafe anything...

I have added a few mods to my bike which add to the bling which include:
Power Commander V
Full-system exhaust with straightened mid-pipe
Healtech Quick Shifter
USB Power charger w/ activation relay
K&N Air Filter
K&N Oil Filter

and this bike just does everything.

The only discredit I'll give to this bike is my preference of V-config engines and this being an IL4. Still sounds great, but not the beefy sound that comes with the Ducati, Aprilia, VTR1000F or the VFR range.

This bike does everything I want perfectly. I commute daily, ride on weekends, do track days, advanced rider courses & stunt days. This bike is capable of doing all of it without any issues.

The only issue I had with this was bike were the gearbox. Gear selectors were not engaging the gears correctly & slowly chipped away the third gear. So when engaged in third gear, a clicking noise was heard. Had fixed the gears (Under warranty, cost $2,706 total invoice) and runs perfectly.

This bike is basically bullet proof as well.

It has been dropped at 140km/h doing standup wheelies, dropped at 200km/h down QR and had been dropped in parking lots by cars backing into it twice. Other than fairing damage, full mechanical checks show no damage to the sub-frame, chassis, engine components or anything. Bike has had a technician who came 4th in the Australian Motorcycle Technician Championships do a full mechanical inspection and there is absolutely no damage to the engine at all. (He even had it on his bench and running it to be sure).

These bikes are built to last, built to please and built for performance.

Not for the faint of heart, but once you have one, you'll never want to get rid of it.

Date PurchasedApr 2015

A Real Keeper.

After years of bike ownership and trade ins mainly due to faults, I think I have found a perfect bike. Sweet gearbox from day 1, never a false neutral, good from cold. Beautiful smooth fuel delivery from low, tons of torque, mad high end performance, so much acceleration that you can only fully open it up to throttle stop for a few secs max in any gear. Comfy seat, good sport bike fairing protection, excellent suspension from stock. Excellent economy for a sport bike, front brembos with so much feel that I feel abs would hinder it and not necessary, bloody good looks. Light weight 202 kg wet unreal. The ultimate reason, a mechanics joy to work on unlike the majority of bikes. A long production history of the same bike has ironed out any flaws. On street from stock needs no mods to get a grin and will give all bikes a good run. This is my first ever perfect bike. I could go on, but I cannot flaw it and I am extremely critical of any bike, as I have owned and test ridden multitudes.
Faultless, excellent performance, cheap, Suzuki reliable.
Giving my self a headache trying to fault it.

suzuki GSX-R1000 is perfect

Pros: legendary suzuki GXS masterpiece...full off speed passion, excellent design, powerfull machine, confortable rides

Cons: Nothing!!!

Overall: last time i try riding GXS 1000 in 2002, and here in 2007 i have another chance to riding new version claiming by marketing manager, mix of motogp technology and superbike technology, with several fix on injection component, supension and aerodinamics.

Overall this bike has been mine for 10 beautiful months, and i really cant fault it in any way; mechanically or otherwise.
Cons: Nothing!!!

This is Superb bike

This is what real men ride. Had it for about three weeks and would not say a bad thing about it. It cornes so stable yet so fast. Really easy to turn in and feels really planted out of the corners. I ride in the lake district and all of the bumps in the roads are like take off ramps for my little gixxer. Love it!!! Any of you R1 rider want a race to sort it all out just get in touch...
Reliable & Energetic