Honda CBR500R

Honda CBR500R

See the Best Super Sport Bikes in 2022 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Honda Motorcycles? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

Pros

Good all-rounder bike
Top points for comfort

Cons

Spare parts can be tricky to source

• Mileage 11,750 km

Purchased in .

Justin
JustinSydney, NSW

Great everyday bike

The CBR500R was my first ever motorcycle.
It has great power for a LAMS bike, handles well and is easy to ride. I’ve been riding it every day to work and is a very reliable piece of machinery. It looks good and accelerates well compared to a 300cc or below. I’d say as an every day commuter you can’t go wrong with this bike and it’s big enough to take on some weekend trips. The downsides are it’s turning circle, handlebars/Mirrors make it a little tight for tight filtering and once you’ve ridden it for a while you desire more power. Other than that I’d highly recommend it as a beginner bike.

Purchased in for $6,500.

LanceSydney, NSW

doesn't do much wrong.

cheap bike that doesn't make mistakes but isn't brilliant at anything. your jaw wont drop with excitement and the adjustable forks on the 16+ models are a bit of a joke. over all very meh. I feel as if i'm on a scooter at times (however one that can do well on the highway.) you absolutely need an exhaust for this bike.

BradAdelaide

Fantastic Learners Bike

This is a fantastic bike for both beginners and intermediate level riders.
It has limited power that provides decent torque but not so much that will kick off a beginner. I have had mine about 9 months and love it.
I have not had any issues with it mechanically and it is cheap on fuel.

Oztog
OztogSydney

Solid learner bike

This bike was un upgrade to my CB125 that I had just after I got my L's, Better for longer rides compared to the CB125 and with that extra power the last one lacked, The handling was quite nice and the weight were perfect to feel balanced. Over all would recommend.

YazzAU

The best learner bike

Hello I owned one of these for around 3 years , was happy to even ride it on a full licence as I wasn't ready to upgrade yet, was a little bit uprights so great for long rides, cheap on fuel, came in the tri colours, great for short people, had enough power, highly recommended.

Date Purchased

Smart shopping tips to help you make the most of Black Friday sales

smart-shopping-tips-to-help-you-make-the-most-of-black-friday-sales

Michael oshea
Michael osheaBrisbane

Amazeballs

Purchased myself one of these as an upgrade from my hyosung gtr250
Would have to be the best purchase ive ever made!
Bike was incredible had enough power to be fun not enough you were afraid to ride it to its limits.
Handles like a dream, never had any mechanical issues all visits to mechanics were just services

AB.
AB.Broulee

Best LAMS bike on the market.

johnsonb21
johnsonb21Richmond-Tweed, NSW

So good

Walked into Ongmac Lismore one day just browsing and before I could stop myself, I bought a new bike just like that. Couldnt help myself, it fitted beautifully, rides almost effortlessly. Bit touchy on the throttle but I getting used to that. Tyres dont like wet grass but I wont do that again. What can I say, when I wake up, look outside and think "this is a good day for a ride"...thats what I do, what more do I want? 500cc twin cyclinder is perfect!

enve
envePerth, WA

awesome bike

I bought this bike after a couple of years with no bike as my previous Honda CBR250 was stolen. This bike is fabulous....great reliability, starts first time every time, economical and plenty powerful for me. Took a bit to get used to the different handling as it doesn't like to go slow round the corners but now I'm used to it. Smoother ride than the CBR250 and better for longer rides.

Kristina
KristinaGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Best LAMS bike out there

So much power for a LAMS bike. I would highly recommend. I purchased the white colour, it really stands out with its shimmery pearl paint and metallic blue and black stripes. It is a super comfortable ride with the handlebars not too low, thick padded seat and comfortable leg position

Ben P
Ben Pmelbourne

Not as good as the classic

Honda will always be a good company but the current bikes are no where near as good as the classics from the 90's. When you're sitting on a bike it doesn't matter what the dials look like, and the old 250 is beautiful at delivering a strong burst of power and a redline of 19.5k

C.J
C.JSydney Surrounds, NSW

Love my new bike!

Great bike! Good on fuel and plenty of power for a beginner. Only negative I can think of is that I do not like the exhaust and it sounds like a scooter haha. Also seemed to be hard to track down after-market parts for the year model I purchased (2016). Would highly recommend to anyone getting their learners as this bike is much better valued than the restricted 650s.

Fantastic learner bike

I have the cbr500ra 2016. I am a learner rider with nill experience. The bike has a lot of torque in lower gears but not so much that I think I'm going to lift the front wheel
The bike is agile, comfortable and a lot of fun to ride. The ride position is upright and comfortable
But I have experienced sore wrists, I would argue that's more me than the bike
The bike has abs which is good
It's Matt black and gets a lot of looks and comments
Definitely recommend having a good look if your looking for a starter bike
It handles highway riding with ease
Great bike

cam b.
cam b.asked

is it 4 stroke?

Kloe M
Kloe Masked

I am just looking at getting insurance for my 2016 CBR500RA and when finding my bike on most insurance sites it will have the option of the bike as MY15 or MY16 and I am just wondering how I find out which one my bike is? Even though mine is the 2016 model I have read they may still have a "Model Year" that is different.

Travis
Travisasked

I have a 2015 Honda CBR500R I am thinking of taking my slip on exhaust off (just for sound,THE LOUDER YOU ARE THE SAFER) and putting on a K&N air filter. Will me doing that burn my exhaust valves?

Yazz

No it will not affect it at all.

Points of praise

• Reviewers described this bike as highly reliable, particularly for a combination of weekday commutes and the occasional weekend trip.
  • This bike offers a good balance between having an engine that’s powerful enough to enjoy riding, but not so powerful that it’s difficult for a learner to handle.
  • Many reviewers appreciated that the CBR500R was comfortable to ride, both on hills and highways.
  • The attractive appearance, particularly when purchased in Matte Gray Metallic, was a definite plus point for some reviewers.

Points to consider

• It may take a little while to become familiar with how to handle the CBR500R, particularly with navigating corners. But once you do, it will provide you with many easy and enjoyable rides.
  • Spare parts may be harder to source if you have an older CBR500R, e.g. a 2016 model, however this didn’t stop reviewers from rating this bike highly.
CategorySuper Sport Bikes and Learner Approved Bikes