Bosch Power Tools ART 26 Li

Bosch Power Tools ART 26 Li

Love it!

I am a 66 year old lady, and we live on 3/4 acre in the country. We have a ride on mower which is great for most of our lawn, but my two other favourite lawn tools are my battery operated mower (for tight spaces) and my Bosch edge trimmer. I have been using mine for at least 5 years and it is great. I have bought lots of extra blades on eBay so I always have a supply. My husband has given away his petrol driven trimmer as we no longer need it. It is quiet and suitable for all our needs.

Date PurchasedSep 2010

Chews through the overpriced blades

Blades are not easy to obtain. Bunnings will get them in for you for $8.00 per pack of 5, but even on our small yard we use 2 blades. The blades look very cheap, probably produced in China for no more than 5 cents each. I wouldn't even mind paying 50 cents each for them, but $1.60 for a 5 cent blade is ridiculous.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Returned to store

Charger wouldn't charge the battery so returned it to Masters for a refund. Reluctantly the store gave me my refund. Why would Bosch allow such a defective product to be sold. Meant an extra trip to return it.....my time and money spent for zero gain. Will not look to purchase a similar Bosch product in the future.

Date PurchasedSep 2016

Not just for the ladies...

This is a pretty good machine. After years of petrol line trimmers, I have finally given them away for good. The Bosch 26 Li is a very well made, and light unit that does a good job trimming lawn around trees, garden bed edging and paths. It is a dream to start. No cords to pull, no swearing and no hassle. The unit uses blades (1) and these are available from Bunnings. Bought a pack last week. I have brick edging that would break even thick line after 10 minutes or so. The blades hold up and do not break. They are also super easy to change.
Pros: The missus can use it, Light, easy to start every time, blades are strong and easy to change, telescopic so doesn't matter how tall you are. Did I say Light? I mean, it is super light, I can use 1 handed.
Cons: A little expensive, battery takes ages to charge (3 hours I think) and runs for around 30 minutes. It really could do with a quick charge long lasting battery. Only for grass trimming, not for cutting down thick knee high scrub

I will never go back to a petrol unit after this. The battery is why I gave 4 stars.

The unit comes with a couple of black "Durablades". These are much sturdier and stronger than the red blades Bunnings stock. I have purchased from Masters and Ebay. Blades cost around $2 - $2.50 ea and I get 3-4 uses out of each blade.

Date PurchasedJul 2016
Update: Masters has gone to God, and Bunnings don't seem to sell the blades anymore. I get "Durablades" from Ebay, but you need to watch price. Can be as high as $8 each and as low as $2 each. If you see them cheap, grab them. If anyone can share on where to buy cheap blades, please post a comment. Robbo59

No complaints it's a great machine

This little machine is perfect for us ladies, I've had mine for over 3years, it hasn't missed a beat & believe me I'm brutal on all my gardening equipment. I didn't know it had a low speed, I've never used mine on low, always full speed ahead. Battery last about an hour, 24 blades lasts nearly 3 months, easy to maintain, I always keep mine fully charged ready to go. I would definitely buy another if this one ever stopped working.

Can't get blades, flybuys reward,

Would give 5+ stars BUT wait months for the blades to came in Stock then they only send the hardware 1. I've never found them at Bunnings .
Otherwise it's great I'm petite lady I love it but they need to make the blades available NOW something I feel like putting it up flybuys back side. Good on you FLYBUYS

RIP

I bought it as I only have a small yard and I have a dodgy back, so lighter weight was important. Worked brilliantly until it suddenly stopped working. I have a selection of bosch tools run by the lithium ion batteries, so I have a few on hand. However, none work on the snipper and I have no idea where the receipt is. What now?

It does the job but it uses a lot of blades, which are not always available.

I have a normal suburban block and I would use at least 3 blades to do front or back yards. I haven't got big lawns and have a cordless electric mower which won't do front and back in one go and neither will the Bosch but that is OK - I don't mind doing it over two days. I went to Bunnings today for blades but they are out of stock so I went to Home Hardware and had to pay up front for them to order them, I gather they are not usually stocked. I see them listed on eBay but the price is +50%. I am tall so the Bosch is a little short for me but otherwise I like the fact that it is light and easy to use, the biggest drawback for me is the blades.

A good trimmer - battery could be better

I have a 820m size block and use this to trim grass around trees and along walls. It does a good job, the only problem being the battery lasts for about 75% of the job - so I recharge and find something else to do for a couple of hours. Lightweight, not too loud, I sue 2 or 3 blades each time and get replacements at the local Bunnings.

This is good.

This is a beaut little machine. I don't know what people expect. It goes well beyond what I expected and so simple to use. The little plastic cutting blades work better than I guessed. They last longer than I thought too. They snap on and off just fine. The light weight of the device is marvellous. For a while I thought I might be deluding myself but recently a friend trimmed a front lawn and came back raving too. I thought, "Confirmed". Or something like that. I hear people complaining all the time about their monofilament lines breaking over and over and over again on their classic whipper snippers That's not something I worry about now I have this.

20 minutes of battery time is pretty good for the hard work it does. But I got a second battery and I'm on clover. On grass and on weeds.

But see my 'con' too. More of a 'be careful' than a con.
Someone really sat down and nutted out a good, useable device for people who don't make a performance out of doing things with grass.
This is important. The early models [like mine with five good years under its belt] needs a special, slightly weaker battery. Your hardware shop must order them in. Bosch have plenty of rechargeable spares for older machines, but the shops have new type batteries that won't work.

Good for a small yard

I bought this to replace a 240v electric line trimmer, and because I have a large range of the Bosch 18v tools

It's a good unit, nice and light, easy to use, however, it can struggle if the edges are a little long or thick. The 'tabs' are very very simple to change, but break way to easily (i can go through 2 or 3 just doing a very small patch out the back)

Overall I am happy with it as its so easy, quick, and clean to use.
Very easy to use, light, quiet
Tabs are not as durable as they could be

Better than petrol line trimmers

I was fed up with hard to start 2 stroke trimmers, breaking lines, bump feeds that don't feed, I could not see the point of 240v machines.
With low expectation I purchased this battery trimmer. I have an 830sq m block, it easily copes with my size block, cuts better and faster, only needed one change of the cutting key that takes seconds, it's quiet and light, all in all it beats petrol machines on all scores.

Hopeless

I bought this with the intention of using it to cut the very small patch of grass I have at the front of my place, so I was looking for a light weight trimmer that

This trimmer has a very poor battery life of about 15-20 minutes and does not have enough power to cut through a clump of grass without slowing up, so it is painstakingly slow. What takes 15 minutes on a borrowed electric trimmer takes me 2-3 goes over several hours with this one. (I painstakingly trim a small patch of grass, run out of power, wait 3 hours for battery to charge, then another crack at it).

When I saw this cutter in the shop I was impressed with the 1km of cutting claim on the box, I think this is seriously false advertising. Most of my tools are Bosch, in the past they have been brilliant, but I will not be buying them any more.
Light weight
Battery life is inadequate, not enough power to cut a clump of grass and takes 3 hours to charge battery.

Hi Cave Man We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your unit, please call the service centre on 1300 307 044 Thanks BoschAUIt's a trimmer not a lawn mower, it's for doing edges and around trees etc, if you don't understand the product theirs no point giving a negative review.

Poor battery

I wont recommend ... poor battery life . also slow rpm, runs very slow , therefore it takes long time to but a small back yard unfortunately poor battery life,
light weight is good
i am not talking about hrs .. u lucky if u can run the trimmer for 20 min on single charge ..
Low weight
Poor battry and slow

Very good for light trimming

I looked at the Ryobi 36 v and Bosch 18 V. I went for the Bosch because it would not have any frustrating line feed . The replacement blades are available at Bunnings and although I use about 3 to do my trimming I am happy with the quick fitting. Do not buy this unit and expect a heavy duty machine. It does trim established lawns well. If you like fiddling with jammed line the 36 V Ryobi may have a bit more grunt for clearing overgrown weeds but I still keep an electric Little Juey with quick change cutting cords for heavier work.
Super light, quick to use, can almost do the trimming in the time it takes to run out a lead
A stronger compound in the plasic cutter blades blades would be good

Great for most applications

I purchased this trimmer from Catch of the Day - it was the smaller 23 LI version but it is practically the same. I already owned a Ryobi line trimmer, so I was eager to see how this would work.

The battery life is rather good, enough for me to do the back and front lawns of our home. However, the only thing I really dislike about this machine is the use of the blades, especially when trimming near cement or pavers. They seem to just wear down so quickly. Perhaps they should make a metal blade, it may work better?

All in all - I love this whipper snipper, much easier to just grab out of the shed and start trimming, rather than drag a cord around or put up with petrol.
Easy to use, no cords, easier than changing line
pole not long enough, go through a lot of blades

I did the same, but have now discovered that I can't buy the spare blades. Won't be buying Bosch again. I already had the 26 Li. It just stopped working one day, perhaps a problem with the switch.I'm not sure if your machine is still working, but you can buy Ozito blades out at Bunnings. They are a bit big and make a little noise at first, but once they wear a little they get better. Or cut them down as I do.

Not worth it

At first it seemed like this trimmer would be handier than either electric or petrol powered models. The guy in the shop talked about long battery life but the truth is the battery life is anything but long. A fully charged battery means you can use it for about ten minutes before it runs out and needs charging again. Ten lousy minutes. I'd expect more from any rechargable battery.
It does trim grass, as it's supposed to
battery life ridiculously low

Good for precise lawn trimming

Bought one of these recently, I liked the idea of the tabs instead of line. Comes with 23 tabs (1 on the unit, 2 spares on the inbuilt holder, plus 2 x 10 packs). The tabs wear out quickly (1 per 5m) if using against concrete, but extremely easy to remove and replace. Promised battery life is false, I got less than half of the suggested 1000m. A bit of work if you have a course grass like buffalo, but if you do it often it wouldn't be an issue (first attempt hadn't been trimmed for 14 weeks, so I expected a tough time). The tabs have never come off, so not sure about the previous review...but it is for shorter people (i'm 184cm, same issue as previous reviewer! But that's normal)
Light, Quick to put on\take off tabs, good for precise lawn trimming

Only suitable for tiny yards

At first glance the machine appears to be well designed, and the 18 volt Lithium Ion battery gave the promise of reasonable battery life.

My gripes:

It is designed for someone less than 175 cm tall. I'm 185 cm and stoop to use it.

Battery life is only moderate.In summer there is only enough charge to do about 70% of the edges.

The plastic cutting strips are a very poor idea.I go through two on a small lawn, but occasionally three or four, as they tend to fly off and are difficult to find, when this happens.

Poor battery life, cutting strips are a bad idea.

Very good product with great battery life

This is a very handy powertool for tidying the garden. It's not too heavy, it doesn't use a cord to cut but a more sturdy plastic cutting attachment. A few of these come with the unit and they don't really seem to wear out much. Assembling the unit is probably the most difficult part, you need to use quite a bit of force to get all the pieces to lock into place correctly. Overall, though, this is a very good product which I'd definitely recommend.
Easy to use, light weight and works very well
A little hard to assemble