Bosch PCM 1800 SD

Bosch PCM 1800 SD

don’t buy this drop saw

Like other users, the blade guard was hopeless; I had to reassemble it several times (it’s now utterly broken), and I keep having to reset the blade. I have had my Bosch drop saw for about 2 years. Having also just had a Bosch drill which was disappointing, I won’t be buying another Bosch product again.

Purchased in January 2017.

Worst Bosch tool EVER!!!

Seriously save yourself the headache and buy anything else.
Mine had the saw guard jam on it the second day of use.....exceptionally poor design.
I love my other Bosch tools, so this one actually made me sad I had to return it because its practically useless.

Purchased in March 2019 for $430.00.

very disappointed bad quality and performance

bought the saw and stand combo from mitre ten, got it out of the box and straight away inaccurate cuts, both indicators are a mile out. could not get a square cut anywhere, the slide compound will not work unless you take the upper support away from the cutting table, to the right the transport knob hits then the gearbox housing hits and to the left simply binds again. ridiculous from a supposed high quality manufacturer
the rear of the handle on mine gets extremely hot as well with a faint smell of overheated electrics when the motor is running
I usually buy Makita, should have done so again.......severely disappointed however the stand is good

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Terrible quality

I'm normally happy with the quality of Bosch power tools, but this is an exception. I've been through three of these saws after returning them to Bunnings for various problems.
The laser - on the first unit, the laser broke within a day, causing me to have to return the unit. On the second, it pointed somewhere in the middle of the blade making it essentially useless.
Table extensions - a great idea but too weak/wobbly to be extremely useful.
Angle settings - both are inaccurate and need to be checked with other tools. For example setting the left/right swivel it's impossible to get it back to a perfect 90º by looking at the guide. It's also nearly impossible to calibrate the tool.
Accuracy - when doing long cuts, the saw blade wanders significantly from side to side, so even if everything's aligned using squares it's almost impossible to get a square cut. This is similar with the depth stop - I liked the feature at first until I realised how much variation there was in the depth of the cut.
Noise - this tool is one of the loudest things I have heard in my life; it hurts my ears with high quality earmuffs on. The second saw got to the point where there was so much noise as well as rattling, high-pitched sounds, etc., that I had to return that one too. The third is only slightly better.

Bosch customer service for the product has been pretty bad, as each time I've called I've had to spend quite some time convincing them that the mitre saw is neither from their pro "blue" line or a household appliance. Bosch's response has always just been 'take it to the store'.

In summary, skip this product as it's pretty poorly designed and terrible quality.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Average quality for a good brand

Was pretty disappointed after less than 6 months, due to the guard not working properly and the angles being out when cutting. In the end, I modified the guard slide rail so it works without drama, but I always have to check with my set square to ensure straight cuts. The laser got covered in fresh sap from pine timber and now doesn't work cause it ruined the plastic cover... and it was always needing to be cleared anyway as it was in a terrible position and kept getting covered in sawdust. I don't know why but the part which hold the blade on know as the locking nut has worn and now has a wobble in the blade.
Also, it uses 5 watts of power plugged in doing nothing which is a joke.

Date PurchasedApr 2016

This is not the Bosch quality and value I am used to.

I bought this saw last 6 months ago and after a couple of hours use the blade started to wobble. At first I thought it was the blade so swapped that with a new one with no luck. It then went back to be repaired under guarantee which only lasted 5 minutes. It then went back again to have a whole lot of new parts replaced, such as gears etc.This lasted a few hours work before the blade started to loosen off again. Mitre10 then replaced the saw with a new one out of the box. This saw is now also having problems cutting roughly and then the blade comes loose. I have had a lot of Bosch products over the years and never had a problem. I am now returning it for a refund and will buy something else.

Date PurchasedJul 2017

This is the worst drop saw I’ve ever used

Major guard malfunctioning / design issues. I sent the saw back to rectify the issue and the fix only lasted less than a week. The guard mechanism design on the saw just does not work. And after a small amount of use becomes extremely dangerous, due to the need to force the saw down to engage the guard.
I didn’t bother sending it back again for repair as the design problem lies in the flimsy metal bracket that engages the guard. Simply replacing this part with the same only leads to failure.

Date PurchasedMar 2014

Works like a dream

I can't relate to some of the negative feedback whilst some appear to be comparing this tool to professional tools at double the price
I bought mine to build my deck and basic work around the house. Hasn't missed a beat to date 6 months in
Moral to the story don't buy a $400 tool & expect the precision of a $1000 tool, this is after all a DIY product if you want bells and whistles buy Bosch blue

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

OK for rough structural timber but not for precision work

I bought this as a special from Bunnings as one of the lower cost saws for my beer budget / champagne taste. I got one of the stand combos at a good price. I have used it for a few small jobs in a reno over the past few weeks. The saw works OK but will require setting up to reasonably accurate. Mine was at least a few degrees off. Furthermore the milled back stay was warped and out by about 1mm end to end. I fixed it by filing the supposedly precision milled surface close to flat and reinstalling and adjusting to square. Also the laser is not very bright and I would say hardly usable even indoors. It was also not adjusted to be parallel to the blade. The saw is a lot more noisy than my induction motor table saw but I can't compare to others.

In summary, perhaps a good saw for construction but not for finer cabinet work. I would suggets a better model if more precision and build quality is requreid

Date PurchasedDec 2016
After about a dozen cuts of melamine chipboard the laser is no longer visible. The problem is that the dust is directed straight onto the Laser plastic lens protector and it is now nicely sandblasted to a matt finish. Refer other postings re the dust extraction design. I now plan to manufacture a glass cover and will also check out designs on other saws today as a reference. My opinion of this machine is lowering daily.

Works well!

I have not experienced all the problems mentioned in the reviews. Four projects I have finished now and it is still running like a dream. The pcm 1800 sd I bought in August 2016 for the price of AUD 399.00 included with stand at Mitre10. I am a satisfied user.

Date PurchasedAug 2016

I rate my PCM 1800SD

Contrary to all above opinions...I am well pleased with mine and have not experienced any issues as above.

I have both the saw and the stand.

Straight out of the box...a familiarisation for about 1/2 an hour and then a general check that all was tight and as should be. It was all good. I then gave all nuts and bolts my customary pre use "maintenance" with a WD40 spray can and did some test cuts on various timbers. Crrosscuts, mitres and bevels. I checked all the cuts against set squares and against each other. Specially wanted to now where the blade was cutting and if there was any whiplash side ways or thru the slide action. Solid as a rock both ways. I loved the torque and power of this saw. Cuts like butter.

Then same day straight into a project. New pergola.
Cross cuts , notches and end bevel cuts in 210 metres of 4x2 and 2x2 . ( Thats a lot of notching)
I cut it all , painted it ( stain) and constructed it in 11 hours over 2 days.
With out this saw and the solid bench to easily manage the 3 4 metre lengths...this would have taken at least twice this. I enjoyed every moment using this piece of kit.

I modified the depth screw for better depth control and I removed the thumb activated safety latch as over kill safety.

Laser works fine but I think its largely a gimmick. I kept it off for 90% of the time. I cut to the waste side of the mark by dropping blade down and lining it up. Very quick to do. The laser is right in the centre of the blade. Not so good but it can be adjusted how you might want it. I might adjust it to suit my preference.

Some knobs a bit plasticky and I will make a lever instead of a knob for the bevel cut lock off.

Dust to the dust bag . Collects about 40-60 % of the dust. I will modify it for better effectiveness.

Its a noisy saw. Must wear ear protection!

Generally...I found this a great tool at a great price and I expect many years of use from it.

Bosch shows us a good example of ineptitude that could produce injury in my opinion!

I returned my PCM 1800 SD to Bunnings warehouse today after the blade kept loosening creating a disaster about to happen. When I first purchased this it came with the Bosch PTA 1 work stand and unfortunately Makita would not work with so I was stuck with another PCM 1800 SD which is still unopened in my garage as I am trying to find a Dewalt that I can trade for.... Bunnings would only allow a store credit and had no Dewalts with similar specs. I will never purchase another Bosch product again and I will never recommend a Bosch made product- I have a Dewalt 12" slider at my home back in the states which makes this Bosch PCM 1800 SD look like a piece of junk.
JM

Sloppy adjustment

Straight out of box to begin 90 degree cuts and basically stopped. Using it as adjustment was a tedious process. The turret is just sloppy when locking angle. Eventually tightened the turret spindle nut which helped a bit. Realigned the backstop which also helped. Basically have to check with set square each time I set up. A complete waste. Simple parts should not be designed to be crap cos there cheap. Never buying green Bosch again.

Not a good product.

I tend to concur with all the prior reviews condemning this product. I purchased this saw 15/07/2015 before I looked at the reviews in question and that was a mistake. The laser light lasted about 3 minutes after removing it from the box and using it. The accuracy of the degree scale is not the best, requiring much experimentation to get accurate cuts. I purchased this saw at Bunnings warehouse and hope I hope to return it ASAP.

Not Happy Northlander

Laser light has stopped working within a few hours or cuts, getting ready to take back to Mitre 10 and note the slides have gone rusty inside the housing, saw has never been out side, always been in the shed, like Bosch brand but this is a let down. Now I have to waste time to get the issues sorted

This is a big disappointment

I purchased this saw from Mitre10 New Zealand as Bosch is a decent brand and there is a promotion to give a free stand (please resist the temptation of getting a free stand as you may not even need it).

But it has three major problems I've met so far:

1, the laster was ok in the beginning but then lost its alignment with the saw blade on the second day.

2, the dust collection is very ineffective, as the collection hole was too high so that majority of the dust could not go into the bag. I think this is a design flaw.

3, the saw could not be push down after 5 days of use. Although adding some lubricant solved the problem but I would not expect that a new saw would have such a problem in such a short time.

My recommendation is: avoid this saw even if it is a free gift.

Disappointing....

First thing I checked when I got home, were the mitre and bevel angles: Bevel angles were fine at -45, 0 and 45deg. The mitre table angles were fine at 45deg left, and zero degrees, but was off by about 1.5deg. at 45 degrees right. Laser came conveniently pre-broken from the factory.

At least I can say I owned one for about two hours, and that was long enough- it took it straight back and exchanged for a Makita LS1018L, which was spot-on straight out of the box and has a lot more of a quality "feel" about it.

I've been using Bosch power tools for over 25 years without hassles, so this one was pretty disappointing.

Dissapointed

Based on my experiences, this saw does not live up to Bosch’s advertised claim of easier precision cutting.

It is important that right angle cross cuts are at 90 degrees. However, the right angle lock down for the saw falls short of 90 degrees. This requires time consuming adjustments and test cuts to lock the saw in at a position where the cut is 90 degrees. Based on advice from the hardware store (there were no instructions that I could find with the saw for doing this) I tried adjusting the back fences to the maximum extent possible but the right angle lock still falls short of 90 degrees. Once locked in place (at around 88 - 89 degrees according to the scale on the saw) I am reluctant to change settings knowing that it will require some difficulty in once again finding a position that will achieve a precise 90 degree cross cut.

I have no confidence that the angle scales on the saw are accurate and that other standard lock down angles, eg 45 degrees, will give that precise angle. Test cuts are mandatory - and when you work with these angles a lot of timber is quickly consumed in test cuts.

My laser beam works only occasionally but even when it does work it is well out of alignment or projects a blurry line that is wider than the kerf of the saw cut. I tried to realign and refocus but inevitably it vibrates out of position. For the last few months it has not worked at all.

The dust bag collection system is ineffective. I have replaced the bag with a connection to my dust collection system but even this only picks up a small amount of the saw dust generated. I consider that more thought needs to go into the design of the dust collection system.

The quality of the cuts is not the greatest and probably requires the standard saw to be replaced with a better quality cross cut saw.

For many years I have looked forward to getting a cross cut mitre saw. This saw has not lived up to my expectations and has left me feeling very disappointed. I did not address these problems under warranty because soon after purchase I sustained an injury that meant the saw remained in the box for a year before I could set it up. At that stage I was confident that I did not need to worry about the quality of Bosch products. I am now disillusioned that Bosch’s quality control system has not met my expectations.
I liked the sale price which at the time also included a stand. Overall a value for money product for the home workshop but I would encourage potential buyers to take out of the box before purchase to check that the right angle lock down is accurate
Standard angle lock downs are not accurate, laser beam does not work properly, dust colletion system is not very effective.

Poor product. Poor service

Bought the 1800 SD on local promotion at Mitre 10 store. Was told I'd receive a saw bench as a bonus. On attempting to redeem I was told all were redeemed. I received a promise that it would be resolved, but 6 months later and several emails.... still no resolution. Now the saw isn't working correctly. Has hardly been used and already has to be returned for repair.
Good price
Felt I was deceived at purchase. Now not working.

I bought the PCM 1800 SD a month ago from Mitre10 in Auckland. One problem - the saw dust does not go into the bag provided. Saw dust ejects at the back of the saw and goes everywhere except into the bag. What would your suggestion be? Thanks JJ
yeah! the machine is simply full of problems, I find more every time I use the damn thing, I am not sure what you could do about the dust ejection and collection system as it stands apart from attaching a vacuum to the dust port, as it stands it blasts all the dust straight into the laser guide and blinds it after a while, what a well thought out piece of kit!!!!, maybe it is time to invest in a dust collection system, small ones aren't that expensive, make one yourself out of a paint bucket (look up Mathias Wandel dust collection on you tube, he has some good ideas, I cant see any way of altering the chop saw to collect all the dust as it stands

Placing a Straight Edge against the Fence, on my PCM1800SD Saw, it is fairly obvious that both sides do not make a straight line. Therefore making a 90 degree cut is impossible. How can this be rectified?
It's my best guess that you have a worn blade locking nut. When replacing the blade, check the front and rear locking nuts that clamp the blade in place, if there is any wear marks (like I had on mine) you need to buy a new front and rear nut at about $15 each side, from either Bosch or your local repairer.The Fence (15) is at right angle to the Blade and I cannot see how your answer is relevant.

I had a piece of timber jam the blade which I've removed have check the security of the blade and there is power as the laser is illuminated when I try to s tee art the saw .. nothing.. blade runs freely no smell of burnt out motor and no damage... any ideas. ??
I have same issue exactly... did you find a solution. ?

Similar listings