Braun Series 5

Braun Series 5

5040s, 5140S, 5190CC, 5020s, 5030s and 3 more

See the Best Men's Electric Shavers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Carlsen R.

Carlsen R.Sydney, NSW

Short battery life

The battery life of this shaver seems a bit short, only use a little bit over 12 months, and now it does not charge anymore. Anyone has the similar experiences? and does anyone know how to replace the battery?

Purchased in August 2018 at Bing Lee for $350.00.

Wet Shave

stopped working

Bought in Dec. 2017 and stopped working 3 months ago - braun replaced motor, pc board and battery. Now the same problem only 3 months later. I'll have to phone Braun again and see what they will do this time. My old series 5 is still working and actually is much lighter and faster and closer shave.

Purchased in December 2017 for $130.00.

Smaths

SmathsSydney

Fantastic Shaver

Purchased this shaver for my Dad for xmas and he absolutely loves it. He was initially a little worried as he had heard the series 7 was better, but it did not disappoint. It's an older generation and only marginally different to the 7, but was easy enough for him to use without cutting himself an easy enough to charge when needed.

The design of the storage unit with the cleaner isn't the best. It's a little lop sided and unsightly in the bathroom, but can be stored in cabinet if you have a charging point. Not ideal for travel.

A really fantastic gift idea.

Purchased in December 2018 at David Jones Online Store for $199.00.

DW

DWHunter Region, NSW

Good at first but hard to clean, prefer Phillips rotary

Purchased in October 2018 at Shaver Shop for $159.00.

Flora L

Flora LFloreat WA

Charging Stand IS available for Series 5!

Amazing

I have done a lot of research on electric shavers and decided to go the Braun series 5 (5190) due to price and effectiveness. I have very course facial hair and I grow a beard within days. I used this for the first time last night with 3 days of growth and with standard Gillette shaving gel (not too much). I was utterly amazed at the ease of use and the closeness of the shave! I was particularly happy with the hard to reach spots like the upper lip and chin areas, very clean. In the morning, no rash either. I am never going back to the standard razor again, there is literally no need. Finally I bought this at the Good Guys for $199.

Kev H

Kev HMid North Coast, NSW

Doesn't shave as close as a manual blade shaver, but is more convenient.

Baz

BazScone

Great shave

After 30years shaving with a razor have been converted to electric, this shaver gives a close shave without skin rash or burn fantastic shave from first use, had tried rotary blade type electric razors but found them very rough on my skin especially round the neck area. Only wish I had of got one of these Braun foil razors years ago.

Disappointed

Disappointed

Shaved well but cleaning unit has failed in less than 3 years

I previously bought a series 5 shaver with cleaning unit in 2006. It worked well and thought it was time for a new unit in 2015. It was doing a better job at shaving than the old shaver so I was happy about that.

The cleaning unit has failed in less than 3 years. It keeps pumping up the cleaning fluid out of the cartridge and overflowing. I’ve only ever used the Brain cleaning cartridges. Given the first one never malfunctioned ever, I think that’s pretty poor performance. I don’t know whether it’s bad luck or Braun’s high price tag for their products is no longer justified.

Kenen99

Kenen99Atlanta

Worth Your Buck - BEST REVIEW

I have sensitive skin and I used this for 2 days now and I had no irritation. It's very smooth and cuts my course beard precisely. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars because I don't really care for the design to much. It's definitely worth getting because of the durability and the technology integrated to cut wet and dry hair with no issues. Also the charging speed is amazing and almost never dies.

Stan217

Stan217Sydney

Rubbish

Agree with Bruce does not give a close shave just leaves stubble, alright if you are in your 20's but I'm 64 and I prefer a close shave,I too have reverted back to my old 3 head Philishave, got new razor heads and she works great now. The Braun cost me $187 and was a waste of money. Don't even contemplate purchase. I'm giving it 1 star only because I cannot give it zero, or can I!!!!!

bruce

bruce

ok, but disappointed

My wife bought one for me after I've used manual razor for a long time. It works, but my old phillips 3 circular head worked better for me. 2 aspects let it down. 1) even the tap putting it down and it drops mess everywhere, not holding it in the catcher at all well. 2) It only manages a close shave (on me) from short stubble. longer stubble does ok where my face is flat but longer hair or some of the curves, doesn't get it. I end up having to move the shaver in multiple directions to get most of it, then pull out the razor to get a clean shave. If its even longer, I tried the trimmer, but that makes ridiculous mess, its easier to just use the razor.

Jan K

Jan Kgrovedale

Heavy and noisy shaver

Purchased this shaver 2 months ago, had reservations about changing to foil shaver after years of using 3 head rotary ones.
Found this model very heavy and very noisy, it also vibrated badly and did not handle stubble at all well.
Was returned during trial period for full refund and purchased rotary type again which is so far excellent.
Braun unit appeared to be very good quality but was very awkward to use.

Khrome

KhromeMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Best shaver I've ever had...and I've had a few.

MgTea

MgTeaMelbourne

Great Shave for my growth rate

Frustrating

The controls on the razor are where you hold it, so you keep turning the rotating head on and off. Rotating head is an unnecessary gimmick anyway. The trimmer is too short and stumpy to work well.
Very hard to clean the hair from the cutting blades.
Cannot find replacement heads, and its only 12 months old.
Avoid, badly designed.

Derek44

Derek44AU

Excellent shaver

In short: excellent. This model (5040WD) is waterproof so it can be easily cleaned. It can be used when talking a shower, but I never tried. Shaves closely, additional trimming blade works very well as well. Very small disappointing peculiarities: it is not as small as I expected, and rather noisy. However overall I am very happy with the results, and would highly recommend it.

Fantastic! Great buy!

Well, it does say that this product is discontinued, but I did buy it few days ago in my local shop in Croatia. My facial hair is average, not too thick, but I have "hairs" to shave. And wow, Braun Series 5, model 5090 cc does a hell of a job! REALLY a near-razor shave, maybe 5% worse than that. Which is great! No irritation at all, lubricated and maintained (disinfected) over the "cleaning base", which also charges the battery. Perfectly simple to use. I have no complaints at all, and I can recommend this shaver to everyone who have medium budget, but would like to get a high-class shaving experience.

Best shave ever

I didn’t know that this model, 5020s, is a discontinued model...I guess that's why I only paid AU$150 for it. That said, I have never had a closer, smoother or more comfortable shave...ever...since using this shaver. Electric shavers are unique to the bloke using it, but if I knew a shaver could work like this one, I would have bought one years ago. Admittedly, I have moved from a basic Panasonic to the Braun, but seriously, it is like going from a Hyundai to a Rolls Royce! No offence to Hyundai...I have one of those too...great car. I think the next time I upgrade my electric shaver, it will be Braun and I reckon I'll bump up to the Series 7. You get what you pay for and I love my Series 5 shaver!

chicken

chickenSydney, NSW

Have always used the Series 5 and liked them, not so this latest one

Have always been happy with the Series 5. So when it was time to replace it I figured the series 5 would be the best bet. The new model shaves well, like the old one but with one "catch"......

If you go a few days without shaving and have longer hairs to cut, they often get caught in the small gap on either side of the foils. It's extremely painful! It requires a full trip down using the beard attachment before you can use the foils. Previous Series 5 shavers never had this problem.