Breville Crystal Clear

Breville Crystal Clear

BKE750, BKE290, BKE480 and BKE595

Good Looking Kettle but Leaks

A very good looking design. Like the clear glass, ergonomic handle. Very fast and surprisingly quieter than similar glass kettles. But found puddles of water on the base within a couple of days of use. Water trickled out of the bottom of kettle before it came out of the spout.

Purchased in September 2019.

Not a good product

Good early on but built up scum, impossible to de-scale. Now (2 yrs in) throwing bits off its element so have stopped using it. Would not recommend. Short life span?

Purchased in July 2017 at Breville Shop.

Noise Level

Disappointed for such an expensive kettle

We had a Breville kettle for 10 years and thinking this is a great reliable brand, decided to replace it with this newer style. Within a week, water began to leak from the bottom so when you lifted the kettle up there would be a pool of water around the base and on the bench. The water caused the base to short so the lights on the buttons on the base were going on and off. Very disappointed considering the price we paid for it.

Purchased in August 2019 at David Jones for $150.00.

The one we bought leaks

Within a few days of buying this kettle there was a pool of water around the base. It seems that it leaks when it’s cooling down. Each time we use it we have to wipe up the water before using it again

Purchased in July 2019 at Harvey Norman for $90.00.

Dangerous

UPDATE... Breville sent us a new kettle, onya Breville!
Sometimes lid pops up when boiling and keeps boiling, sometimes lid pops up when pouring flicking boiling water on you, tried to contact Breville Australia and finish putting the info in the fields only to be told at the end you must be logged in? gives you an email option for Breville USA no email address for Australia?

Nice looking leaker

Purchased one week ago and kept finding water on the base when picking up the kettle to use but couldn’t work out why. Turns out it leaks from the bottom as the water cools and water is caught between the glass and plastic on the bottom of the kettle, and between the plastic and metal on the base plate. Straight back to the store for a refund no questions asked and replaced it with a new version of our old Breville kettle which worked perfectly for 8 years. Really liked the glass but wonder if there is a design flaw with mixing glass, plastic, metal and heat.

Purchased in July 2019 at Harvey Norman for $89.00.

5 years & still going strong

I love this kettle. I really like having the clear glass, whether its knowing how full it is at a glance, or being able to see how close it is to boiling before pulling it off for tea.
I appreciate the high quality Schott glass, Ive had no problems over this time apart from a small bit of glass flaking off from the spout after multiple 'taps' against the ceramic water dispenser.
I did get the element discolouration on the base, however I attributed it to me emptying a boiled kettle & leaving the bottom dry, to scald.
Ive never had any problems with the lid; it makes me wonder if this 5 year old model was made in a different location to the newer models.
I only discovered today I could coil the cord under the base to keep it tidier.
My personal experience with Breville has thus been very good

Purchased in June 2014 at Myer Retail Stores for $88.00.

Fantastic

Purchased over two yrs. Has done really well. water tastes great but we use filtered water anyway,
Has survived being over flooded by filling and walking away.
has stayed nice and shiny and colour still as is new,

however sadly the lid finally sold the farm and started popping open. and now it has cracked on the plastic part near the lid. So buying another one today

Purchased in April 2017 at Better Braces for $120.00.

Noise Level

Lid opens while kettle is boiling.

Like many others I too have had it boil dry because the lid will not stay closed when the water comes to a boil... we have had one situation where the kitchen was filled with steam because it boiled dry.. the lid release is of poor design and will fail, potentially scalding the user.

This is a very badly designed product and I find it hard to believe that this is still allowed to be sold, it should be part of a recall.

Purchased in August 2016 for $79.00.

Noise Level

So far so good. Quite impressed with the speed of the boiler.

The kettle heats up quite quick, about 1 min for level 1.7L of water. Quite exxy, bought it for $60. Hopefully this last for 2 years+. Also the boiler isn't too quiet, and can be a bit loud for some people also a bit heavy to carry, it's not very lightweight.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Very disappointed

Not happy at all and have bought a few breville kettles over the years and never had this problem. Bought it late last year and it rusted at the bottom in a week plus get bits floating in water. Contacted House where I bought it online and they took awhile to get back to me with an answer from Breville to descal it. Ru kidding me!!! In a week after I got it. What an absolute joke! Have cleaned it and you can not get rid of rust plus still get bits floating in water and surely it's not good to drink. Not happy at all!!

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Works Well

Owned for Six months , Started to get a build up on the element and become noisy
I read the instructions and purchased the Breville Kettle cleaner which brought the
Kettle back to perfect working condition. Very happy with the Kettlles appearance and ease of cleaning
and speed of boil.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Design Flaw

I have used this kettle for 2 years. Purchased from Good Guys. Has been great up until now, and looks nice, but then, like others here, it started to not automatically shut off. I then noticed the handle, at the top ring connection has cracked, near the fill release button. The kettle is quite a solid, heavy unit, and this connection is very thin plastic, which takes all the weight. It looks like a fatigue issue, probably made worse by the heat. Nevertheless it was a $100 kettle which only lasted 2 years, which is pretty rubbish, and out of warranty. This looks like a poor design to me, which could result in the handle dropping off with a full kettle of boiling water. I think Breville had a recall for a similar issue on the previous design. I don't think it has been rectified properly. Please check your kettle! Very disappointing longevity.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Piece of junk

Lid opens upon boiling and sometimes wont stop boiling.
The top of the kettle flexes causing the lid to pop open when lifting up
This in dangerous these should be recalled
I have always trusted Breville products until now, never again
I have contacted ACCC, product safety Australia
Their product testing and design is flawed.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

Condensation in the kettle

I bought my kettle from the Good Guys 2 days ago Sat 27/10/18 . Owned one before and loved it. However, the condensation in the new one has started right from the first boil & hasn't disappeared. Not a nice look for a brand new purchase. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Best kettle ever.

Lasts and lasts all other kettles I have purchased leak or stop.
Easy to fill, can see water level, auto switch off.
Have had for many years and was happy with performance so bought another but has lasted so long haven't needed to use it. Great product May never as I am Seventy.

Date PurchasedAug 2012

Best Kettle we have ever had!

Purchased the Breville Crystal Clear in 2014 & it works perfectly every day, in fact it is so consistently good that i purchased 2 more for my daughters at the same time & they also function superbly.
The Schott glass is made in Germany & is the best in the world. Due to this kettle, i purchased SCHOTT Solar Panels have a 25 year warranty (some are still working exceptionally well after 30 years, & still going strong!) This GERMAN MADE Solar Panel array is a top quality high efficiency unit that functions superbly all day, every day.

Date PurchasedSep 2014

Faulty spout?

We've had the kettle about 2 years and it works great but when it comes to pouring the water, it tends to leak down the sides of the kettle. Has been like that since the day we unpackaged it, but its more of a hazard now that we have kids using it too.

Date PurchasedMar 2016

Awesome kettle BKE480BKS. Love that it's clear!

I've owned my fair share of kettles over time, but I would have to say this is the best I have used. I've had it for over a year. It is the quickest to boil. It has a very low level minimum so you are not having to fill it high when you are just making one tea or coffee. Although it does seem to boil for a few seconds longer than others I have had. I love that it is clear. People always ask for a hot drink at my house and I think it could be because they can see that the kettle is clean. When it discolours, as with all kettles, slice up a lemon and place it in the kettle, let it boil and leave the lemon and water in it overnight. In the morning pour out all contents and rinse. This removes any deposits and makes it sparkle. I love that it is glass and would chose this material over plastic any day. I would highly recommend this kettle and loved it so much I bought the matching sesame toaster, which is also a fantastic product.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Great kettle with a design flaw

This kettle is wonderful. It is quiet. It feels solid but not too heavy. It is easy to clean. The handle stays nice and cool. When it starts to get noisy you can easily see the buildup on the bottom (the 'quiet boil technology' is basically a coating on the bottom that makes the boil finer and quieter, but scale buildup reduces the effectiveness), so chop up a lemon and boil that in there and leave it for a few minutes then wash it out and any buildup remaining will easily wipe away with a cloth. The outside cleans with simple spray and wipe. It looks great. It boils quickly.

But, as good as it is it has a design problem. I see now that there are a couple of different designs, but mine had the silver base and lid. This version has a black plastic circle on the silver lid that looks like a button but is actually just a heat resistant pad you use to push the lid back down after refilling when/if it's hot. The actual lid release button is almost hidden on the handle as it's silver on silver. People who don't know this, try to open the kettle to fill it by pressing the black 'button'. When that doesn't work, they then try to physically force the lid open. I've seen different people do this at different times. One person almost managed to pull the whole lid assembly off the top of the glass. The end result is - of course - the lid gets damaged.

1. The first stage is the lid starts to stick when you try to open it - at this point the way to open it safely is to lightly tap the lid close to the handle and it will open. Again, people instead tend to try to force the lid which then eventually leads to the next stage.

2. The second and final stage is when one side of the lid hinge breaks. It will still open, and will still appear to lock down. However when one of the hinges is broken, when the kettle starts to boil the steam can force the lid slightly open. This releases the steam and prevents the kettle from reaching full boil which in turn means it doesn't switch off. To temporarily 'fix' this is a three part thing:
- Get something heavy to put on the lid to stop it from opening
- Make yourself a cup of tea and sit down.
- Start researching for a new kettle.

Do I recommend this kettle? Absolutely, but *only* if you are the only person to use it. If other people are ever going to use the kettle then it will fail sooner or later. Unless you see them doing it, the first you'll know is when you try to use the kettle and find the lid has been damaged. Danger time for our kettle was parties when 'helpful' people would try to fill the kettle. These are the same helpful people who do other things like pull off gas fuses on barbecues, put used wine glasses back on the table next to the clean glasses, randomly turn switches on/off, put food away in weird places etc. You know the types. Collective sigh.

Amazingly ours lasted almost five years, most of that time with a sticking lid until the hinge finally broke recently (yes, after a party), but it survived that long mainly because I frequently hovered around it and would show people how to open it properly. I almost bought another one to replace it, but I'm going to try a different brand - and I'm sad to have to do that, because it was/is actually a really good kettle. But that lid really sucks, and I'm sick of having to protect it from people.

Date PurchasedAug 2013

I purchased a Breville BKE840 Kettle (glass) and it leaked through the base after only 3 days. Got a replacement and it leased also. Now on my 3rd one and it has started to leak also after 3 days. Is Breville going to change the design of the glass kettles to something that doesn’t leak? Because you have glass sitting on a metal element separated by a rubber grommet, it’s always going to leak. Different expansion contraction properties. It really is a very poor design and is damaging your brand reputation
Yes agree. I have had the same problem. Bought one which leaked and replacement does the same. Safety issue needs to be rectified. Will go and ask for refund on 2nd one.

Why does the lid pop open when water has boiled
Ours does the same

Our Kettle is randomly switching on at least at the base. Without touching it! The temp lights randomly switch from tea to boil and when you use the kettle the on off switch goes back to standby frequently. Concerned it can cause an electrical issue. Is this common? We only use the kettle occasionally so it should be over use
My Breville BKE840 glass kettle (3rd one - all leak water) was doing something similar. Pick up the base, and give it a shake and see if water comes out. Our lights were coming on randomly as well and discovered the base was full of water. The electricity could be tracking through the water and causing problems with the electrics.Thanks. We already checked and no water was coming out. My brother has the same model and his started doing the same thing

Breville the Crystal Clear BKE750Breville Crystal Clear BKE480Breville Crystal Clear BKE290Breville Crystal Clear BKE595
CategoryElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric KettlesElectric Kettles
Price (RRP) $129.95$99.95
Capacity1.7 L1.7 L1.7 L
Features360° Swivel Base, BPA Free and Water Gauge360° Swivel Base, BPA Free and Water Gauge
Variable Temperatures NoNoNoNo
Construction Material Glass and Stainless SteelGlass and Stainless SteelGlass and Stainless SteelGlass and Stainless Steel
Colour / Finish Glass vessel, Brushed Stainless Steel Power BaseBlack, RedClear Glass
Power2,400 W2,400 W
Manufacturer Warranty1 year(s)1 year(s)
Release dateJan 2019