Breville Smart Temp BSC420

Breville Smart Temp BSC420

MPN: BSC420

Worked very well

I bought this about a year ago. It has worked well. It takes a while to perfect slow cooker recipes, you tend to use less liquid than oven baked. I haven’t had any problems. Only thing is I really want to know what the power usage is on its low setting so I can compare it to my oven but I can find that info. I’ve heard they are more efficient than ovens but I just want to find that out myself.

Date PurchasedApr 2017

It’s a great cooker but the display is unreliable

This cooks really well. I’ve used both the high and low settings and never been disappointed.
But. Less than 18 months after buying it the display started failing to the point where we joked you have to speak predator to understand what it’s set to. And then finally yesterday at just 3 1/2 years old it stopped working so we came home to partially cooked goulash. I’d expect something from Breville to last longer. you expect better quality from them.

Date PurchasedDec 2014

A great "slow" cooker.

I have used this only once however I am very pleased so far. The first thing I noticed was how easy it is to set the temp and time. There is also 3 temp settings ( low, med high) and a keep warm which it switches to when finished. Then I noticed during the cook that "low" truly is LOW. It didn't boil as some others have and this meant an eight hour cook did indeed take 8 hours and wasn't falling apart and turned to mush. Admittedly I cooked a 1.2 kilo piece of beef, however the veges in with it (to flavour the sauce) didn't disolve into mush. This is a great for those days when I need to put a meal on early in the day and want it ready when I return. Nothing stuck to the pot so cleaning was easy also.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Wow great product

This is the best item for busy people. We set it going in the morning and tea is cooked for us when we get home. Easy to clean and cooks beautifully. Don’t know how we lived without this appliance. Looks good on the kitchen bench with its stainless steel look. Recommend this product

Date PurchasedOct 2017

Great slow cooker

This smart beauty saves me every dinner, every day. Temperature IQ controls the heating so the food is never over-boiled, even when I set it to 8 hours after I come home from work. The heating element is circular and wraps around the bowl to ensure food is warmed evenly. Best of all, the lid is glass and completely detachable making it easy to clean.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Great help in the kitchen!

We were slow cooker newbies prior to getting this one. After a bit of research, we opted for Breville since we already have other appliances with the same brand and they couldn't be faulted for their durability. We weren't disappointed with their slow cooker, too! The timer feature is so handy. You can leave it to cook overnight and wake up to a yummy dish! The clean up is also a breeze. Overall, it does the job well!

Date PurchasedNov 2016

love it

love this slow cooker. so easy to use and makes incredible food. I love that I can put this on in the morning and have a full meal ready to go when we get home, makes cooking fun and I can spend more time with my family in the afternoon while still supplying a heathy meal.

Date PurchasedFeb 2017

Easy to use. Great capacity

Really happy with cooking results. It's really up to the chef to know how long and what temp is required for their particular mean. I've done ribs to slow cooked roasts to stews. No complaints. Having the timer setting is a great advantage. Good value, got it for a wedding present in Dec 2915. Purchased my dad one for Father's Day in sept 2017.

Date PurchasedDec 2015

Does a great job

This really does a great job. The worst part is all the delicious smells wafting through the house while it does it's thing. While it's slowly creating a masterpiece My tummy is impatiently growling for what seems like an eternity. I know that's the point to cook slowly but I find it best to make meals ahead of time for the next day.

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Great to use when winter comes

We have always had a Breville slow cooker as it's easy to cook a meal, whether you use chicken, lamb, sausages or chops. It is also easy to clean & put away. Should it break down, Breville come to fix it & should that not work we purchase another Breville.

Date PurchasedJul 2015

Great for a few years....

I used my slow cooker at least weekly for about 2.5 years before the control panel started falling off. It wasnt knocked that I know of, it just seemed to be breaking. After about 2 months the front panel was hanging on by one plastic plug and the lcd display had all but disappeared. Then it didn't seem to cook properly - 5 hours on high for a soup and the split peas were still hard! I asked my f-i-l who is handy to take a look and when he opened up the casing the plastic moulding behind the control panel completely fell to pieces. The plastic was completely brittle and just crumbled. Obviously the insulation around the pot was not enough to protect the control panel - it probably caused the LCD display to malfunction too. So here I am about to go looking for another slow cooker. I suppose I should be happy with a few years of use, but I was hoping a more expensive one would last longer...

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Good slow cooker, expected a little more for the price

To provide some background information - we wanted to get a slow cooker that had a timing feature so that we could have it cook while we were at work so that when we returned home, there would be something ready and waiting for us.

Cons:
To be honest, the slow cooker does what it's supposed to, but I found that sometimes the meat that resulted was a bit tough. It doesn't really provide much additional benefit over the normal cooking process in a pot over low heat and for a long period of time. It may be the recipes that we're using, though. However, at this point in time - my perspective stands that it's decent but doesn't produce anything extraordinary or amazing.

Pros:
The timing feature is great - this is something we really needed, as we had been effectively slow cooking in a pot over low heat before this. However, doing this meant someone always had to keep an eye on it - open fires and all.

Also, the cleaning is really quick and easy - nothing gets stuck to the bottom (yet). So it's quite convenient in that way. However, time will tell if this holds up (hopefully, it will)!

Overall:
We'll keep testing different recipes and cuts of meat out - it's good enough where I'm satisfied. Though, I thought with a slow cooker, most meats should turn out quite tender. If it is the recipe, I'll update my review and rating score accordingly, if it's the slow cooker, then the 4.0/5.0 will stand!

Almost perfect

Bought this June 2017 as old one was too small for growing family. Very thick/ solid ceramic 6 litre insert which takes a long time to cook,( 4 hours for a 2kg piece of silverside). But saying that just set and forget as you use less water then normal crockpot and therefore less steam but meat did not ever look like running out of water,( recommend use half what you normally put in). Digital timer is a lot more accurate then the simple dial from 1 to 5 on my old Breville 2.2litre!

Date PurchasedJun 2017

Excellent!

So happy with this purchase! Despite being 52 years old, I am new to cooking! Not only does this cook perfect rice every time, it also doubles as a crock pot. My pork roast turned out perfect yesterday and I cannot wait to try my next recipe. Oh, and the clean up is simple... just love this thing!

Date PurchasedJul 2017

Good

Best thing to have in the kitchen. I put stuff in the morning before heading to work and tea is ready when I get home in the evening. It feels so good coming home to a cooked meal and not have to worry about cooking after a long day. Cooks well every time, super easy to clean.

Date PurchasedJan 2016

SLOW is right!

I previously had the Sunbeam secret chef, which I threw out because the non-stick surface was coming off and I was worried about whether it was safe to use. I bought this to avoid that problem - I liked the idea of a ceramic pot.

What I may not have understood (unless I got a faulty one) is that the ceramic surface cooks much more slowly. The first time I tried to use this to make lentil soup I put it on high for five hours and it still wasn't done. I had to finish cooking it in a saucepan. I don't know whether I got a faulty one or I just got used to the Sunbeam, which cooks even heavy meaty dishes in 4 hours. Either way, this is a waste of time for me. I've rescued the Sunbeam from the hard rubbish and just ordered a replacement non-stick pan for it. Argh!

Date PurchasedMay 2017

Good reliable mid-range cooker

Got this sent to my daughter who is living in a flat in London where it's hard to access a kitchen. She reports really loving it, as she's able to cook herself healthy meals quickly. Being a professional dancer, she needs to stay healthy and eat properly. Not sure what she thinks about all the features but it does the job and it's easy to clean. A good mid-range cooker.

Great easy to use

I really enjoy using my slow cooker its super simple to use and works fab i couldnt live without it life saver!! I brought it simply because i dont have the time at night or afternoons to get tea cooked so this is a great alternative! Makes my life very easy

Date PurchasedMar 2017

Love it, makes dinner easy in winter

The cooking results are really good and it's easy to clean. I usually use the 4 hour setting because I'm always running late in the mornings and it's still very tender and not over cooked, the good thing is I can put it on warm so it's ready to eat when someone is late for dinner

Date PurchasedMay 2013

Favorite Cooking Gadget

There's nothing better than coming home to the smell of a slow cooked meal simmering away. I've tried various meals and all have turned out perfect especially pea and ham soup & with the removal ceramic bowl it's easy to clean. This would have to be my favorite kitchen gadget.

Date PurchasedApr 2013

Can this slow cooker be pre set to start?
No, it cannot.

I just purchased this slow cooker last week and today finally had the chance to try a meal in it. It made a sort of a loud noise a bit like a cracking noise and all LEDs lit with the timer countdown replaced by ‘C1’. It’s super hot to touch on the handles and smells faintly of plastic. The food inside doesn’t smell though which is great. What does this error message mean, Breville? Do I take it back or contact you since it’s under warranty?
Hi there, Did you find out what the problem was by any chance. I had the same issue. Thank you

Have used this slower cooker only a couple of times and each time noticed a strange smell coming from the main unit (not the ceramic bowl) - a faint plasticky smell. I wiped the inside of the unit multiple times. It is definitely free on any factory greases or oils. Perfectly clean, no debris. What is causing the smell and will it go away with use? Most importantly, is the food safe to eat as the fumes would have gone into the food.
I would take it back, mine never had smell to it.

Smart Temp BSC420