Breville Smart Toast

Breville Smart Toast

BTA825, BTA830, BTA845, BTA820 and BTA840

Brand loyalty goes wrong this time

After owning one of these for many years and being totally satisfied with it we bought a new one without hesitation. It is a total disappointment. As others have stated it toasts totally erratically and only on one side generally. It is also so slow it drives us mad. Extremely disillusioned. The old one is almost worn out but works much better.

Purchased in May 2019 at Harvey Norman for $189.00.

Not quite perfect

Fairly big for a 2 standard slice toaster. Sceptical at first regarding the motorised toast lift ...it still works after 3 years ! Controls are simple and straight forward. Bread slots could be slightly longer to accomodate European style rye breads, without having to purchase the larger model that has a very long footprint, internal edges could of been rolled, so buckled toast doesn’t jam on lift , fairly even toasting coverage, first toast requires longer toasting time to subsequent toasting

Great design very poor manufacture

Purchased Breville BTA630 circa 2016 failed within warranty period, Elements in one side not working.
Retailer had no replacement stock so we took the money and went to JBHiFi in search of a replacement.
BTA630 discontinued so we purchased Breville BTA830 20 04 2017. The BTA830 looks the same as the BTA630.
Our new BTA830 failed within warranty period. Button backlighting would spontaneously flicker on and off during the night and intermittent failure to operate.
Warranty replacement BTA830 from JBHiFi 13 01 2019. This one failed on 05 08 2019 (7 months) no more warranty. Elements in one side not working. As the warranty is pro rata there was no replacement should we have wanted to try again with this brand. We changed to a low tech Sunbeam TA4540 4 slice toaster from Big W.

Finally a Toaster that Works Well

We have been living with a cheap 1600W toaster we purchased from K-Mart about 2 years ago and were forever popping it up to check on it and with each pop up the elements turned off and the toast got harder and harder. That has all be fixed now with the Breville Smart Toaster (2kW) , indeed once you have determined your setting it produces perfect toast every time due to the better control it has of the heat and the positioning of the bread evenly between the elements- this is a fantastic toaster and truly produces first class toast. As Wallace says .."Cracking toast Gromit!"

Purchased in August 2019 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $150.00.

A+ for cool factor but not practical

Pretty cool and doesn't throw your toast up halfway to space but there are problems with it. Some items get stuck on the way up and it's very difficult to clear. Far too expensive.

Purchased in August 2016 at Harvey Norman for $80.00.

Even Toasting Yes

If you have this toaster - watch for fires.

The toaster was great for a little while, I've had this for around 9 months. Tonight it caught fire, not within any crumbs but the insulation at the top where no crumbs even go.

I was very lucky to be watching it cook while I had a pan on the stove next to it, noticed for about 20seconds one side of the toasters element wasn't lit and a little spark at the top which I thought was maybe the element trying to light - kept watching and it appeared to light and then went out- then started a tiny fizzle of fire. I quickly popped the toaster and the flame extinguished on its own, but has left a little hole. I've unplugged and will be taking it back to JB Hifi this week.

Pretty disappointed considering the cost and that I purchased the matching kettle. My previous breville toaster lasted me 10 years.

I will be finding another toaster and brand after reading another reviewer's comment that it's happened to hers on multiple occasions.

Purchased in October 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $200.00.

Even Toasting Yes

Failed just after the 2 years warranty.

Works well while it is working. Just stopped working with all lights blinking while toasting some bread and will no longer work. This is just past the 2 years warranty. Really poor durability.

Even though the crumbs does not look like clogging the mechanism, give the unit a few firm pats to dislodge any crumbs fixes this issue.

Lasted less than 12 months

Purchased this product in August 2018 and had no issues until I went to use it yesterday. Pressed the button down and an almighty flash came from the appliance. Needless to say it doesn't work and after paying $169 not impressed. Now to do battle in getting a replacement???

Purchased in August 2018.

Quality toaster, but is it worth the price?

Good quality toaster but not convinced that it's worth spending so much to get all the bells and whistles. A simpler and cheaper toaster will toast just the same as long as you are prepared to learn the settings, which you have to do with this one anyway. I have used this many times over the three weeks I have had it and tested it with bread, bagels, crumpets/raisin loaf and English muffins.
For me, the most valuable option has been the crumpet/fruit bread button which toasts less on one side than the other. Works well with bagels and English muffins but I would like more toasting on the base of my crumpets (needs a variable setting).
Yes it gently lowers and raises your toast, but really, is this something that has been missing in your life? And the beep to tell you your toast is ready is so quiet that I never hear it. When my old toaster popped up I could hear it from across the kitchen and knew it was finished without keeping an eye on it.
Is this a good quality product - YES. Does it work well - YES. Is it worth the money - YES, if you want a toaster with all the bells and whistles. Would I recommend it to my friends, yes, but I would give them the benefit of my experience. Would I buy another one - probably not, but I had to try it and don't regret my purchase.
And the two year warranty is a good security blanket on such a small kitchen appliance that can be prone to trouble.

Purchased in June 2019 at Harvey Norman for $169.00.

Even Toasting Yes

Finally a toaster than toasts crumpets

Best toaster I have ever used. Toasts crumpets too perfection. Love the look and see option , plus the 'bit more ' feature is handy. Looks good in kitchen with chrome.Highly recommend this toaster.

Purchased in June 2019 at Bing Lee for $129.00.

2nd replacement in 13 months . Rubbish

We bought this toaster from Peter’s of Kensington online in May 2018. In September 2018 we got a replacement because it stopped working. Now in June 2019 one side has entirely stopped roasting. It still works on the other. This piece of *^%# toaster has a working life of about 6 months. Our last toaster lasted 18 years. Breville have lost my business. I’m hoping that this at least breaks down again before the warranty expires after 2 years. Fully expect to request a third or fourth replacement. It’s a great toaster when it works but the poor quality is beyond unacceptable.

If you buy this do it from a local store. Every time we have to post back to the shop and wait for replacement to be shipped we are without toaster for 1.5 weeks.

I want to let out a review equivalent of a primal howl to express how frustrating this toaster is. Instead I will urge you not to bother. It’s rubbish.

Purchased in May 2018.

No issues

Been using this toaster multiple times a day for nearly three months. We love it and have had no issues. Love being able to do four slices at once and have different toast settings for each person. Toasts evenly. The crumpet button is cool. I also like the lift and look/toast more buttons. Very handy and you don't risk burning the toast. It makes a cute noise when the toast is done. The toast doesn't pop up but lowers and rises slowly. It's easy to clean and looks good.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $175.00.

I Love This Toaster

This toaster cost a lot of money but it will last for years. The first one I purchased lasted over 10 years and am now in my second which is into its third year. The crumpet setting works well and the other settings all do what they are supposed to. I do love this toaster.

Love this toaster

Was a bit hesitant to get such an expensive toaster but I am glad I did.
I love how it is fully automated and beeps to let you know your toast is ready.
Also love the crumpet (bagel) option

Great but unreliable

I have had my toaster for 3 years and LOVE it. It has toasted the best I have ever had. Of course for the price so it should. I love the motorised part, brrrr down, brrrr up, beep. Can toast crumpets, raisin toast all perfectly at the press of a button. Until it GIVES UP. FzzzTTT and Flash and it's gone. Don't bother about trying to get it fixed, Breville don't have any parts for the Authorised service peeps who I went to see. If you buy it get the extra warranty but it probably wont last that long. Keep making Breville replace your toaster because of their lousy, rubbish, terrible, aweful, (they wont let me swear) service, warranty and unreliability. For 169$ it did everything brilliantly, it even expired in a flash of brilliance . Tripped the house circuit breaker too. Sweet and sour product.
PS The store I bought it from rejected my reviews so I guess they don't want to rock the boat.

Purchased in October 2015 at JB Hi-Fi for $169.00.

Typical Breville, Can't Be Fixed

My wife loves Breville, we have owned Breville toasters, electric jugs & espresso machines. However, in my experience when something goes wrong there are no spare parts and you have to replace the whole item.

We owned this toaster for a little over 3 years and the elements on one side have just died. I have an electrical background and could easily fix that so, I attempted to source a replacement part. I contacted Breville who said parts are not available but they would offer me a discount on a new toaster.

I m annoyed about this for a few reasons.

Firstly, this sort of thing has happened to us before. We had the element blow on our Breville electric jug and were told that there were no replacement parts, but we could buy a replacement jug at a discount price. When our $1300 espresso machine died just (outside Breville's 12 months manufacturer warranty) it got replaced (rather than repaired) under our JB HiFi extended warranty. Can't have been an easy fix if they replaced rather than repaired a $1300 appliance.

Secondly, I contacted Choice who tell me that at around $190 (you can buy this toaster cheaper now), this was a mid to high range toaster that should last 4 to 6 years. Incidentally, Choice have a good article on product life here:

Thirdly, consumer law says Breville have a legal obligation to provide parts for a reasonable period. Unfortunately what constitutes is a reasonable period is hard to define. However, from what Choice said it would have been 4 to 5 years. Hell, you can still buy a BTA830 toaster. So, maintainability is poor.

Look at it this way, electrical heating elements are like incandescent lights they won't last forever. However, I don't have to replace my stove every time an oven element blows. I would consider that to be unnecessary expensive and bad for the environment.

For me, the same principal applies applies here.

Purchased in October 2016.

Works for me

I mainly toast sourdough bread which doesn’t really brown like most toast. The features it offers are really useful. You can check the toasting progress, it alerts you when the toasting has finished, it has the lift and look feature and a bit more button. Due to its size it takes up a lot of space on the bench but it allows me to toast the large round sourdough slices that have to be hand cut. The length way profile fits on my bench. The reliability may be a problem for some people, my toaster last just over 2 years but it’s gets used 2-4 times every day which means it’s done over 2,200 toasting cycles. After 2 years most toasters are getting old and start to look well used and not toast like like they used to. A new toaster looks great and works better.

Purchased in January 2017 at Harvey Norman for $149.00.

A toaster has one job!!

The only job of a toaster is to cook the bread.
You would think that spending almost $200 on a toaster that it would do that and more.
The look of it is great, the functions and usability is great but it doesn't evenly cook a slice of bread.
One side is always more then the other, you have to keep turning the bread so it cooks evenly and doesn't burn.
The crumpet function, puts all the heat on one side, so doesn't matter what setting its on, you have to stop it or it will burn.
I actually returned the first toaster because it wasn't cooking evenly (thinking it was a faulty one) but the second one was exactly the same.
Definitely not a smart toaster. My mums $10 toaster cooks better.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

7 years old and still going like new

I was told I was wasting my money when I purchased this expensive toaster, however it has been going for over 7 years now and hasn't missed a beat. Hopefully I haven't jinxed it and it keeps going for another 7 years. Love the "a bit more" function and easy adjustment

Date PurchasedFeb 2011

Dangerous

Today our 4th Breville toaster automatic caught fire, this the the second one of the same model and all together 4th in 7 years, they were all faulty and the last one today caught fire which could potentially burn our house, I rang Breville but they did not care. We bought the first same model from David Jones which stopped working after a couple of months, we returned it and got a refund, went to Good Guys as they offer an extended warranty and David Jones didn't, bought the second exact same model and this one worked for 6 months and caught fire today, not recommended at all as can burn down your house.

Date PurchasedJul 2018