Brunnings Tomato and Vegetable Growing Mix

Brunnings Tomato and Vegetable Growing Mix

See the Best Garden Maintenance Products in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for Brunnings? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

1.7

Greg K.
Greg K.Perth, WA

This mix is crap

I read a lot of the bad reviews, the cause of the problem is the PH of the mix is 10 i just did a test . The PH should be 7.This product should be taken off the shelf.

Purchased in March 2021 at Bunnings Warehouse for $3.95.

Nathan
NathanMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

Pith necrosis

Planted a beefsteak tomato, fertilised with additional NPK and everything was going great. The tomatoes reached mature green, one month later it started to die. It contracted pith necrosis from the potting soil. I don't think you should be selling a product specially designed for tomatoes if it contains diseases. Something needs to be done about this.

Purchased in September 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse Retail Stores for $4.20.

MICK

This is by far the worst mix you can buy for anything.

Opened up a bag of the brunnings tomato and vegetable mix and i kid you not, it included a plastic recycling plant, a forest, and a quarry all in one bag, by far the most generous company to provide absolute useless material for your gardens. Would happily rate it 0/10 if I was given the chance. Absolute crap and would 100% never recommend any of their products.

Purchased in December 2020 for $10.00.

Kerry S.
Kerry S.Sydney, NSW

Killing all my seedlings

I carefully planted out some cherry tomato seedlings and over the course of no more than two weeks they became very discoloured and are clearly struggling to survive. I'm hoping it's not too late to plant them into the garden. Otherwise have wasted my time and money. It's a very poor product.

Purchased in August 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Garden Maintenance Products

Find out how Brunnings Tomato and Vegetable Growing Mix compares to other Garden Maintenance Products

OMG I WANT TO SCREAM

Just realised Bunnings moderate all their reviews so that's why it has such a good rating on their website. This mix is killing all my seedlings which I lovingly cultivated, I am SO ANNOYED. this product should not be sold.

Purchased in October 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $3.99.

Ivan J
Ivan JSydney, NSW

Good for the price.

I found if you add some extra manure and use a good fertilizer this product works great. Its quite cheap so if you use a base it works well. I have found all cheap mixes need to be fertilized to get a result.

Purchased in September 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $5.00.

RTL
RTL

Hydrophobic, full of sticks, plaster and fungus gnats

Bought a bag to repot some snow peas and start a new pot of veggies. Potting mix is full of large bark, sticks and in my case of plaster and stripped paint flakes. Once potted, the top dries extremely fast and repels water unless you really dig in the water.

The kick in the guts was 2 weeks after potting up I had an enormous explosion of fungus gnats only in the pots that had this soil. Need to now invest more money to treat all my plants because of this. Do not skimp on soil and invest in something like Yates with dynamic lifter or flower power professional mix

Purchased in June 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse.

PJA
PJASydney, NSW

Will be returning for a refund! Cheap and Nasty!

This product is terrible. It was more sticks than soil and small matter and when working it over to loosen there were pieces of rubber and plastic mixed through. Why would I want that in my garden!!!! Brunnings, shame on you and Bunnings, I would recommend not stocking, find a better supplier.

Purchased in August 2020 at Bunnings Warehouse for $4.82.

Emma
EmmaCentral West, NSW

Very poor. PLANTS WILL DIE/NOT THRIVE!!!!

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $3.99.

Garden Maintenance Products

Don't use this product it should be removed from store shelves!.

I have used this for for root vegetables and Tomatoes and even daring to use flower, never in my entire career as a man that works in the landscaping or horticultural industry seen a worse soil as this to be honest I would not even call it soil, some how is worse than solid topsoil. this was alright for a few weeks the flowers had come up as normal but then had died recently after that and the root vegetables had never come up I would not recommend this to even an experience nor a new beginner gardener. please if you are in need of cheap soil please do not get this i would rather spend the money to get a drink of water. (You have been warned).

Purchased in October 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $3.99.

Peter R.Launceston, TAS

Very Disappointed

Planted celery and lettuce plants in a polystyrene box filled with this product. After 6 weeks, very little growth above the ground. When I pulled them out and emptied the container, it was full of roots from the plants. Seems excellent for root growth but no good for above ground progress. Just hope my tomatoes and cucumbers don't suffer the same demise.

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse for $3.99.

Carty
CartyQueensland

Plant killing potting mix

Every plant in this mix has died or died back. Planted herbs and veg from same punnets in another mix and they have thrived. No aeration, compacts, waste of money.

Purchased in August 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Dazza
DazzaIllawarra, NSW

Very good product

I have used this product for 2 seasons now and have had fantastic results. Tomatoes, spring onions, cucumbers and lots of different flowers. Seriously if you can't get good results with this product then you must be doing something wrong. The only negative is some small pieces of timber are still to be found. I love it and the price, woohoo you have got to be happy.

Purchased in May 2018 at Bunnings Wollongong for $3.99.

Shaunie
ShaunieSydney

This stuff is rocket fuel!

This product is doing wonders for my veggies! I’ve found this mix works really well when combined with mushroom compost and must be wet down well and then left for a week or so! Then turn the soil and water again! It’s a well draining mix and just needs to moist prior to planting. Thanks brunnings I’ve found a magic formula

Brunnings tomato and veg mix+mushroom compost

Date PurchasedSept 2018

Seedlings Wilted After First Day

My tomato seedlings were thriving until I planted them in this mix. I watered them in well. By the next day they began to wilt and it was not even a sunny day it was mostly overcast. I'm not sure whether to take them out or wait and see if they recover.

Date PurchasedOct 2018

Michelle H.
Michelle H.asked

Opened the bag only to find it full of a white mould with a light green mould mixed in it , you could not see any bits of brown due to the massive amount of white mould, I dont know if this is normal or not as its the first time I've purchased this product but im not game to use it as I dont think it would be normal for anything to have a large amount of a white mould in it. Has anyone else had this problem?

MICK

Definatley don't use it, I've left a review on here with what I found in my bags of products and in my personal opinion this should not be a product line and I'd so they need to fix the problems, the worst product out hands down.

Courtney
Courtneyasked

Is this potting mix considered organic? Thanks

Peter R.

Courtney. The web site says it isn't organic. I will never buy this product again

Adam.B
Adam.Basked

Do theses idiots know this product isn’t for seed growing but as a food for established vegetables?

Lisa F.
Lisa F.

Hi Adam.B,
Details on their site are a bit vague and when you click through to 'How To and FAQ' - this is what they recommend. "Potting Up TomatoesPour the mix into the container. For seedlings (around 15cm tall) make a transplant hole around 8-10cm deep. For seeds, follow the directions on the seed packet." http://www.brunnings.com.au/professional-tomato-vegetable-growing-mix-2348.html