Cigweld WeldSkill 135 MIG

Cigweld WeldSkill 135 MIG

Old Panel BeaterGoulburn Valley, VIC

CigWeld 135 TransMig Dual Turbo

Purchased in March 2005 at Total Tools NSW, Albury.

TasPerth, WA

Didn't Last

Great welder for home use

I got this a couple of years ago and it's been great to use. I have used it to build gates, a shed and all sorts of repairs from 1mm plate upto 5mm. It was tricky learning how to get the settings right for both amps to wire feed but once right it works fantastic. Considering i had never welded a thing in my life before, it didn't take much practice to get going and feel comfortable using it. I recently contacted the Cigweld customer service for a new part and was surprised at how helpful and friendly they were. I would get another the same if this one ever dies.

Purchased in November 2018 for $350.00.

kierenalvarez

kierenalvarezMurray Region, NSW

Not the Mig for most!

These mig welders are very basic and has a poor duty cycle. Some can still cost upwards of 250 $AUD on the second hand market and are easily outdone by other makes of the same age at a cheaper price. From what I can tell, your paying for it to say CigWeld and the dependability not for a capable machine.
Don't be fooled by other brands using the same design. Mechpro and ozito have made copies of these in the past and they are even worse as they aren't made by CigWeld and they misrepresent amperage outputs.

Purchased in January 2016 at Gasweld for $479.00.

Kymbo51

Kymbo51Adelaide

It is what it is

Ive been working with migs for 30 years, used and fixed most sorts and the problem with migs is they're very finicky.. They have to be well looked after and well maintained but if you look after them properly they will serve you well, the 135 is the same, a lightweight, light duty home machine that works fine when set up and used as intended but most people go straight from an old arc machine to something like this with no training. I guarentee I could get most machines purring within a few minutes.

Purchased in August 2018 at Blackwoods.

Piece of crap in all aspects

I took delivery of the Cigweld Weldskill 135 Inverter about a week ago and only opened it up today to begin some repair work on an old Falcon. It failed to feed the wire no matter what I did. I adjusted everything as per the instructions and nope, the feed wheels just slip and turn without grabbing the wire.

I then thought I'd try it on the stick function, I haven't used this bad a welder ever. New or old electrodes (2.5mm), it didn't matter. No matter what current I set it at, the welds (when it decided to weld) were cold,the slag took a jackhammer to remove and there was more spatter than actual welded metal.

My brother bought one of those tiny Chinese welders that are $100 delivered and it welds better than this POS.

Purchased in February 2020.

Brendan Moylan

Brendan MoylanSouth East Queensland, QLD

This is an excellent welder for the DIYer to medium user

I bought this unit so I didn't have to use gas if I didn't want too, but could if I ever needed. I bought it in 2015 for about $300 Aud at Supercheap Autos. It has been extremely useful to get to hard to reach areas due to its size. I use it with Gasless wire bought from bunnings for $17 which lasts a very long time. It can weld very thin 1mm thick metal up to 5mm thick.
Due to the gasless wire, it does product more than normal splatter but that can be easily removed with a wire brush or grinder.

Purchased in July 2015 at Supercheap Auto for $300.00.

Jason C.

Jason C.Central Queensland, QLD

No chance

How do u rate something that doesnt work from new Purchased new as it was on special. Got it home. Followed instructions and it failed to feed the wire. Taking it back and will never get another cigweld after reading all the reviews

Purchased in July 2019 for $270.00.

Pretty good.

Bought on special about 3 years ago. Built a trailer with it, then packed it up and travelled from north WA to Tassie with it.
Used it a couple of times since then for little jobs. Hasn't missed a beat.
About to build another trailer with it, so I set it up
and did a couple of practice welds with it, and all good.

Date PurchasedMar 2015

Junk

I purchased a CIG mig welder years ago and it has never worked properly. The feed tension mechanism is plastic and it eventually fell apart. I made up repair parts but then another bit of the plastic mechanism broke.
I checked out a couple of new models today and guess what !!! the plastic feed mechaism is still the same.
A total piece of junk. CIg were always rip off merchants when they had the monopoly on the gas bottles.

Date PurchasedJan 1999
Garfield

Garfield

Poor Quality And Customer Service

Bought a CIG welding 135amp machine. Followed the user instruction to the dot. Turned it on, the rollers are not rolling, the wire is not feeding. Tried again, still nothing happened. Sent an email to CIG, no reply. Called the customer service help desk, they just said "is a warranty issue" and hang up on me.
I will never buy anything from CIG.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Waste of money

Used mine very little for first year then it was stored in a dry shed for just over 6 months. On switching it on next time it was needed it was dead and remains so as the repairers in WA want too much just to look at it. 12 month warranty is a disgrace in this day and age, but it speaks volumes of the companies lack of faith in their product. My wife has had hairdriers with a better warranty.
These toys are going for around $350 in SCA and other outlets at the moment, which is way less than they were say 3 years ago. Put a bit more money in to something better and hope that you don't get burned, as many of us that bought this garbage have. Luckily I make junk art, so I might find a use for it yet, maybe as a planter!

Date PurchasedJan 2015

Rubbish

I bought the cigweld 135 welder from masters before it closed, i only used it 4 or 5 times last year, it ran fine til the warranty ran out, I'm talking two weeks after it ran out, then it started playing up, I took it to a repairer who charged me more to fix it than I bought the machine for!
I've had other cheap welders that I bought on eBay last longer than this!
Rule of thumb for future welders is, go for a 3 to 5 year warranty, if it's only 12 months, there is a reason why!

Date PurchasedJune 2016
Kcir62

Kcir62Adelade

No issues

I have had the cigweld weldskil 135 for about 2 months and only use it for hobby and lighter material, I have not had any problems . The welder works great for the projects that I tackle. Welds are not the best, but that is operators bad skill.

Doug

DougPerth

MIG welder to avoid.

I purchased and then exchanged 3 Cigweld weldskill 135 machines this week. The faults were firstly erratic wire feed speed causing lots of spattering. The second unit wire feed stopped working after a couple of hours and the third unit wire feed wouldn't stop right out of the box. The 4th unit is still running but I've only made a few tack welds so far. At low speed the feed is jerky but I'm persisting for the time being.

It is now late March and the welder is running quite OK. A little spatter but nice welds. My usage is hobby work, so light materials and limited usage. I'm not building big structures. Hopefully it was just a bad batch of welders.

Tasasked

I purchased my 135 a few years ago. Hobbiest.
Last time I used it, 6 months earlier, the wire feed stopped working. I phoned Cigweld Australia, I told him I hadn’t used it for 6 months. He said they need to be used all the time, and the board would cost more than the welder to replace.

Question: a.b wrote, he tried the stick function, didn’t realize it had a stick function?
Question: Supercheap have it on sale, should I bother buying another 135?

a b.
a b.

It does have an arc weld (stick) function, check the operating manual that came with it.

Tas

Thanks Mate, appreciate it.
Looking at the 180a inverter at the moment, good price.

Tas

Hey a.b. i phoned Cigweld again. It's the Cigweld 135 Multi that has the stick function.
I managed to flog my 135 for $80 for parts.
Did you buy another welder? I'm thinking of Unimig.

Leon T.

Leon T.asked

135 mig feeds wire but will not strike an arc all connections are good with no sign of any internal damage ?

Old Panel Beater

Hi Leon T. If work area is dirty eg rust or paint then there will be no arc. Clean both welding area and earth area , then all should be sweet, cheers old panel beater.

Bossn R

Bossn Rasked

No wire feed on a brand new 135amp mig. Any ideas?

Mark

Get your money back or get it fixed before warranty runs out, or it will cost you more than the welder is worth!

Old Panel Beater

Hi Mark , check that wire is correct thickness then adjust wire feed to suit. As the old saying goes, " If nothing works, then read the manual. " Cheers old panel beater.