Original Bar Soap, Gentle Bar Soap
See the Best Hand Washes & Soaps in 2021 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.
Brand Manager for PZ Cussons? Register now and take advantage of ProductReview's Brand Management Platform!

1.6
  • Causes Irritation Yes (7) · No (20)

Anthea
AntheaWheatbelt, WA

Doesn't scrub up on the Original

Cracks and dissolves quickly after only being used a few washes. Not as it was in the 80s when I grew up as things change over time. Wouldn't purchase again.

Purchased in August 2021 at Woolworths.

Awfull

I agree with the other reviews it cracks and it's not like the old soap would not by again. I will go back to my old one,we hade IL when I wasa achild.

Purchased in March 2021.

Causes Irritation No

What has happened to what was an excellent soap bar?

My family and I have enjoyed using Imperial Leather Original for years and years.
Very frustrating that it is not as it used to be. It splits soon after first use and worse, it seems to deteriorate, softening and turning to mush and leaving a wasteful amount in the soap dish and on the wash basin. A costly mess now. Cussons... revert to your original ‘recipe’ or lose yet another loyal customer.

Purchased in February 2021.

Chris
ChrisSouth East Queensland, QLD

It's been a while but .......

I recently decided to use bars of soap rather than the gel stuff. The first couple of bars I bought were a different brand and the perfume was too strong. So I thought I'd get some Imperial Leather as we all loved it in my family; I could even remember its distinctive perfume and luxurious, silky feel. Well was I in for a huge disappointment. It just doesn't smell or feel right. Won't be buying it again and am chucking the open bar and 5 unused lot in the bin. Horrible.

Purchased in February 2021 at Coles.

Hand Washes & Soaps

Find out how Cussons Imperial Leather Soap compares to other Hand Washes & Soaps

Slimey mush after one day

I grew up with imperial leather, lasted ages and kept dry with label still on till the end. Bought 2020 kept thinking it was fake soap. Just melts into a slimey mush. Won’t be buying it again. Don’t know what to do with other seven bars, wouldn’t even give it to charity. I haven’t got money to throw in the bin.

Purchased in December 2020.

Causes Irritation No

Not the soap it was which LASTED for ages

Have bought it twice in last two years and both time it rapidly developed into mush. The first time I communicated with the firm, which was based in M/c! Change of original recipe, which was designed for Russian court! Why the heck was I stupid enough to try it again. It has a lovely aroma but that is not enough. I bought it to replace a small bar of soap - free in a hotel etc., and that lasted for ages.

Purchased in August 2020 for $2.00.

Rubbish soap

The soap cracked after 2 days on the sink and left a scum on the other side, I wrote to Cussons the said they had taken out the animal fat, they sent me a 35p voucher, I chucked it in the bin with the rest of the soap.

Purchased in June 2020 at morrisons.

BARRY C.
BARRY C.

I purchased a four pack in 2017 and a four pack in 2020 to see if it was any better, it was just the same.,rubbish that is the last time i buy any soap off them

Dendenten
DendentenSouth East Queensland, QLD

Cracked up

lt should be banned during Covid. We are encouraged to wash our hands frequently but It cracks and accumulates dirt. My last bar fell in half. It will be the last I ever buy.

Purchased in September 2020 at Coles for $3.00.

Causes Irritation No

Not like before, suffering, dont recommend others, I purchased 6 soaps, I used 1, started pimples on face, lost money

It is not like before I am suffering with pimples after using it, I dont recommended it to others, I purchased 6 soaps and its lost of my money, I used 1 and started pimples on my face, lost my money

What’s happened to it.

Have used Original Imperial Leather soap for 50+ years but no more. I thought I was doing something wrong because bars kept splitting in two after a couple of uses. Have they substituted ingredients for cheaper ones? Will not be buying again.

Purchased in July 2020.

MaresSouth East Queensland, QLD

It used to be good but not now

I purchased a pack of 6 bars of Imperial Leather Soap. I am currently using the first one in the powder room. It is very messy and so much waste is occurring as when the soap is wet so much more of the product is dispersed and leaves a mess on the hand towel and in the basin. So much more water has to be used to get the soap off your hands. It used to be good but after this, I will no longer be buying it. It is no longer cost-effective either.

Purchased in February 2020 at Chemist Warehouse Physical Store for $4.99.

Causes Irritation No

I thought the loss of fragrance was just me

I have loved this soap for many years. Wherever placed in the bathroom it would greet you with its wonderful fragrance. But for last year or so it has gone, barely a whiff when you unwrap the flimsy plastic. So out of interest i visit the reviews and get my confirmation. My sense of smell is ok. It's the soap that has lost it once fantastic scent.
Come on Cussons correct this huge mistake because until you do I wont be purchasing it again. Let us all know through your advertising that you've brought it back, then I'll be back!!
Nikck Lillitos

Purchased in March 2020 at UK supermarket Sainsburys for $3.00.

Any Cussons product

Used to use it, won’t any more. Irritates my skin and makes it sore to to the point of bleeding. They must of changed the formula they use. Used to be good

Causes Irritation Yes
Rafferty
RaffertySouth East Queensland, QLD

My skin is cracking and so sore

Purchased in February 2020 for $2.00.

Causes Irritation Yes
Maree
MareeSouthwest, VIC

I’ve been meaning to write this for a while...

My husband has used Imperial Leather soap as his go-to for a number of years, but now enough is enough! My objection is the amount of unnecessary plastic used in the packaging. Each individual bar is wrapped in plastic (WHY?) and is encased in a cardboard holder. Then the whole four bars are again wrapped entirely in plastic. We have now switched brands.

Purchased in November 2019 at Coles.