D-link Cobra AC5300 DSL-5300

See the Best Routers in 2019 as rated by Australians on ProductReview.com.au.

Blazing fast speed aggressive styling

I purchased the D link AC5300 Cobra recently after having enough of the netcomm modem my internet service provider supplied me with and I must start by saying it is extremely well built and large. On my corner unit it takes up a space 40cm wide and 27cm deep, and that’s not counting the additional depth required for the rear connections. The eight antennas reach 12.5cm above the unit.The screw connections for the antennas are plated. There’s 1 USB 3.0 port on the back, 1 USB 2.0 port. A phone line port for DSL and an Ethernet port for connecting to an Internet gateway, and four gigabit Ethernet ports for the wired networks around the home or office. It does all the things you’d come to expect from a high end modem from DLink. NBN is covered as well as ADSL, DLNA support, WiFi Guest access, “SharePort web access”, VPN and so on. The special addition is largely related to raw speed. The AC5300 is toting up all the maximums in megabits per second of which the unit is capable. There is tri-band WiFi, with one 2.4GHz and two 5GHz bands available. Wave 2 MU-MIMO – Multi User, Multiple Input, Multiple Output – allows for dataflows with multiple users and devices simultaneously. And I can honestly say all that adds up to a extremely fast connection I couldn't be happier with it and although it is on the expensive side of modem routers the features and speed I believe a worth the outlay.

Purchased in February 2019 at Computer Alliance Online store for $539.00.

Number of Connected Devices 6 devices
ISPMore Telecom NBN
ModemD-link Cobra AC5300 DSL-5300
Functionality
Ease of Setup
Wi-Fi Range
Reliability

Very powerful and versatile Modem/Router

Bought this modem a couple of weeks ago and was upgrading from the Fritzbox modem/router. At first glance (in the box) this is a very heavy unit but a lot of the weight is in the box as it is padded very heavily (for protection i assume) and the box opens like a shoe box. I was having a lot of trouble with WiFi in the house as i have cameras that cannot see the 5 GHz band and will only connect to the 2.4 GHz band so i needed something that had room to spare in the 2.4 GHz area. This unit is a Tri-band modem/router that offers 1x 2.4 GHz band and 2 x 5 GHz bands that all work at the same time. The 2.4 GHz band offers 1000 Mbps WiFi and the 5 GHz bands offer 2167 Mbps each. Having more concern for the 2.4 GHz band, this was the unit for me as everything else i have that relies on WiFi can connect to the 5Ghz band such as mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc.
The unit's connectivity covers ADSL. VDSL and is also NBN/UFB ready with the Ethernet WAN port (rj45) and the telephone socket (rj11/rj12) but no VOIP. It has wave 2 MU-MIMO WiFi which is "Multiple Users-Multiple Input Multiple Output" which allows you to send data to and from devices simultaneously with greater speed and efficiency with no data loss.
The WiFi has "Advanced SmartBeam Forming" technology which means that when you connect something to the WiFi it will direct the WiFi signal/bandwidth to the device as it moves around the house, delivering a strong, uninterrupted and continuous signal. The WiFi also only has one SSID or WiFi name (saving you from having multiple WiFi names on your network) and the modem/router will connect the item (phone, tablet, smart TV etc) requiring the signal to the band it is compatible with automatically, this function is "Smart Connect". The signal is strong and is pushed out with 8 Hi-gain aerials/antennas surrounding the unit enabling me to connect my furthest away WiFi camera with ease.
The Cobra has a 1.8 GHz quad core processor (some might think this is not much as the processors we are used to these days are 3 to 4 GHz and above but when you only have to run a modem/router then it is huge IMO).
The casing is not cheap plastic but feels like a die-cast metal. I could not speculate what metal it is but it lends a very nice feel to it.
The interface is pretty much the same as my older d-link modem/router so i found it very easy to setup and navigate.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Change of Review.

initially I had exactly the same problem as others. I was trying to configure more than 3 port forwards. It would not save settings and was useless for its intended purpose. After hitting up their tech support for a few weeks I was given access to a new Australian Firmware that resolved these software glitches. Hasn't skipped a beat. Would have been 5 stars but they should never have released it in the state it was. The firmware I was supplied at the time was a beta version and wasn't available to all. Check their Australian website for the update before purchasing.

Date PurchasedMay 2018

Buggy software, settings disappear! Useless

Was excited to receive this modem router after reading all the great reviews. But major disappointmentr. When I added all my settings and saved them, it lost all my Port Forwarding settings I reentered many times and eventually it saved 3 Rules but any more disappeared.

For a $700 router to have major faults like this is a complete joke. Have D-Link never tested it properly or just with some default settings. Terrible! Sending back to supplier and looking for better brand.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Beast of a Modem/Router

An awesome upgrade from the Taipan AC3200 on the same chasis! With 8 beam-forming antennas - it looks like a mean spider on my desk! Quadcore processors providing more than needed processing power. Amazing coverage around the house (average sized 3 bedroom home). Price is very much on the up side - only recommended for powerhouse users. Modem is ADSL, VDSL (FTTN, FTTC and FTTB) and FTTP (Ethernet WAN) compliant.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Has anyone successfully used this modem for FTTC connection ? I purchased for that purpose and first NBN connection not working yet. NBN provider usually sells NetCom router, but the wifi on that one not as good d as Cobra and sue to our house arrangement we need all those funky cobra aerials. However the NBN provider said maybe the problem is it is not compatible with FTTC. The documentation implies it is. So would just like a verified purchaser (or D-link user/rep) who has actually connected FTTC to Cobra successfully
This modem will work on all connections. Whether it be FTTN FTTC NBN fibre or ADSL 2 they all work with this modemI’ve read everything I can find on the settings to choose to make the connection work but nothing I’ve tried has worked. So hoping someone can give me specific settings that have been tried. For a while I had the choice residential gateway giving internet access but not nbn. Now nothing. Tried vlan 2.

Does this modem/router have a button to turn the wifi off?
No it does not.Gday Jim if you reach over the back of the unit next to where the power supply connects in you'll find a round power button cheersHi Jim Whilst it does not have a button to turn the wifi on and off physically you can login to the modem interface and turn of the wifi through the software Hope this answers your question John

Have you seen this advice "Curiously, the SRA (Seamless Rate Adaption) option was disabled by default – something we discovered after our first dropped connection. NBN recommends having SRA enabled to help avoid dropped connections. Once we turned on SRA, we didn't experience any dropouts and the connection remained rock solid during our five day test period."

CategoryRouters and Modems
Frequency BandTri-Band (2.4GHz, 2 x 5GHz)
FeaturesBeamforming and External Antennas