DeLonghi Icona / Icona Vintage / Icona Elements Toaster

Don't waste your money (Tried 2 in 1 week)

We had the same toaster for 5 years and it was great. After an accident, we had to replace it. So we purchased the same one, it wouldn't toast one side at all. took it back a few days later and David Jones swapped it for the newer model. Just tested with a few different slices and it burns one side while other is perfect. Talking it back in the morning for a refund.

Purchased in June 2019 at David Jones Retail Stores for $129.00.

Even Toasting No

Useless toaster do not buy it

I bought this toaster because it's all manual without LED display and seemed solid and well built. Unfortunately it is rubbish at making toast. It doesn't have the power to crisp a crumpet on full browning setting and seems to just dry out bread without browning or crisping. Extremely disappointed that such a good looking and well built toaster is so bad at doing the one thing it needs to do. The bagel setting just turns off half of the elements, so you get dried out luke-warm toast on one side and hard dry toast on the 'hot' side. Also very inadequate 'high-lift' lever action - barely lifts the toast above the edge of the toaster. Am returning it to the store for exchange, but am doubtful that any new toasters are capable of toasting correctly after reading some online reviews.

Purchased in March 2019 at The Good Guys for $139.00.

Even Toasting No

Don't get fooled by the good looks...

Like many people we thought this unit looked great. The red with chrome matched the wife's other kitchen appliances and it has a great retro look about it. But in my 50 plus years of buying and using toasters, this would rate as the worst. It toasts very unevenly, requiring the setting to be changed to "bagel", which switches off one side of the element so the bread needs to be put back in again but in reverse. The setting knob burns at 1.5 but does almost nothing at 1. Took the unit back after 1-week and was given a replacement, which is exactly the same. This is not acceptable for a $150 toaster. We are still using it after 6-months but it's harder work than it should be, trying to get decent toast.

Purchased in August 2018 for $149.00.

Even Toasting No

If you love burnt toast,this is the one for you!

This CTO2003 is heading for the recycle bin today after burning every piece of toast put in it for the 3 weeks we’ve owned it. This is probably the worse toaster we have ever owned. It is simply impossible to set this so it toasts adequately without either undercooking or (then) incinerating the pieces. The browning setting is indistinguishable from random - you never know what the result will be. The crumb tray position at the back of the unit is a nuisance. I wish 0 stars was an option.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Do not buy this toaster

This toaster is a complete waste of money.
• The cord is too short
• No high lift function if you have smaller pieces of bread
• It only toasts one side of your bread
• Patchy toasting on the good side
• Massively oversized knobs for controlling ‘toast colour’ (timer) go out of sync with a light breeze.

We have owned for about 6 months and I hate it every day.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Looks great .. but otherwise Very disappointed

Looks beautiful.. bought the 4 slice toaster, kettle and coffee machine matching..
Electrical fault in toaster . Red lights flash. Wont switch off.. eventually cuts out electrical to whole house.
Reciept was lost by kids who bought toaster as gift neither store purchased or delonghi customer support will replace or refund.
Pathetic to have to throw away a $150 toaster !!!
Very disappointed.
(The $10 kmart toaster i had for 9 years still works perfectly.. )
Now i have a set without matching toaster.. :(

Date PurchasedNov 2017

This is the worst toaster we have had in 48 years.

Only toasts one side at a time or burns it. Complained to Delonghi and they sent us a new one and that worse than the first one we paid £65 for it and it's very poor. Would not recommend it to anyone. Looks good but just doesn't do the job.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Cant even toast bread

I bought this from amazon very cheap at $21. Looks good to the eye but does not toast bread evenly. Dont pay alot for this toaster you will be disappointed. If you have a choice buy another product. I wont replace until its dead or I might give it away to charity or the needy.

Date PurchasedJul 2018

Disappointing toaster

We are very disappointed in this toaster. It only toasts on one side therefore takes twice as long to cook a piece of toast as bread has to be turned. This is for all types of bread, including raisin toast and crumpets. For the price paid, one would expect even toasting on both sides at the same time. This is not the case with this DeLonghi toaster. We would not purchase a DeLonghi again. We found the DeLonghi electric kettle very efficient, but not the toaster.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

Blew up

Toaster made a small explosion sound with visual sparking when I was cooking raisin toast.
No longer works very disappointed because I also have the matching kettle I purchased this toaster from a deceased estate second hand but it was immaculate condition and I was told worked perfectly not anymore it's dead.

Date PurchasedSep 2018

Worst Toaster I have ever owned

Paid a considerable premium to buy a delonghi toaster thinking the brand was quality. Big mistake - it’s the worst toaster I have ever owned. Toast gets stuck regularly and is unevenly cooked on each side.
Looks good but works very badly - I will need to replace it soon.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Rubbish quality, inconsistent. My cheapie toaster from years ago is better

Here are some facts.
This toaster fails to toast sides evenly, yet inconsistently.
My cheaper ex-woollies toaster from 10 years ago is more reliable.
My DeLonghi Kettle also failed inconveniently at 13 months old.
I think the DeLonghi brand is one we will avoid from now on.
Please don't buy.

Date PurchasedDec 2017

As an ornament, it works. As a toaster, it doesn't.

Looks nice but is without doubt the worst toaster we have ever purchased. To say it toasts unevenly is an understatement, one side dark brown/black the other side light brown/white. I sincerely wish we had chosen a cheaper model and importantly, read reviews before purchasing. This is the first DeLonghi product we have ever bought, and will be the last.

Date PurchasedApr 2018

Wish I had read reviews before purchasing

I, like other reviewers here which have rated this toaster minimum stars, have had exactly the same experience. I purchased this toaster (plus matching kettle) only 12 days ago. Like other reviewers, I thought I was amiss in my procedure for popping in toast to cook - how difficult can it be? But no, only one side barely cooks because the gauge needs to be on a mere 1 - 2 because the other side - OF THE SAME PIECE OF BREAD - BURNS!!! Contacted DeLonghi who said to return it to place of purchase. When I asked if this was a common problem the question was evaded. Looking at dates of reviews with the same problem I can see it has been happening for a number of years. Where is your quality control DeLonghi? Will be taking both appliances back to store for refund.

Date PurchasedJun 2018

Nice looking but has never worked properly...

Until reading these other poor reviews I thought it must have been something I was doing wrong, but this very expensive toaster has been a disaster from day one. Like many others have discovered, it doesn't cook the toast properly and evenly, always seems to burn the toast (even on low settings), and the other day tripped the household electrical safety switch (no other appliance has ever done this). I thought in this day and age a supposedly competent manufacturer such as DeLonghi would have mastered the art of designing such a simple item as a toaster, however their efforts on this occasion are a joke, and I would never in future purchase a product made by this company. We've now gone back to using our previous toaster and this expensive item sits unused on a shelf.

Date PurchasedJan 2017

Perfect toast

Got it very cheap on sale at Amazon. Needed to replace my old toaster and probably anything is better than what I had. Good quality. I found that number 3 made sandwich bread brown. I also like the large slice size so it can various sized bread slices. Also can buy matching kettle for those that like having matching appliances.

Date PurchasedMar 2018

Worst Toaster Ever!! Fire Hazard

We were given a 4 slice toaster for Christmas 2016 and one week out from end of warranty (12 months) it decided to trip our safety switch in the house. We returned it and got a replacement one under warranty. The replacement toaster has burnt out and tripped the safety switch within 3 months of use.

Rubbish product and so expensive!!! Do not buy. Go for a trusted Brand like Breville, Kambrook etc.

Date PurchasedDec 2016

Loves this toaster, Choice review top 3

I bought this for $74.00 from David Jones ( price match from the good guys). Originally $199.00. It is a little expensive for a toaster. But it looks great with a vintage look. It is easy to use and makes nice toast. Nothing to complain about. Based on Choice's review:
Good points

• Excellent at producing the same toast colour cycle after cycle.
• Good score for browning evenly.
• Good at toasting frozen bread.
• Very easy to clean the crumb tray, rated excellent.
• Very good controls.

Bad points

• Only OK at toasting a single slice of bread.
• Poor at toasting multigrain bread.
• There are significant dirt entrapment spaces.

Date PurchasedFeb 2018

so far .....so good

purchased to replace a toaster that "died" this toaster looks great in the kitchen and does the job it was made to do. nice choice of options and easy to clean. all in all a very good purchase and looking forward to using it for many years to come. so easy to use.

Date PurchasedJan 2018

Huge Waste of Money

We bought one of these and took it back to the shop because it was burning one side of the toast. I felt the shop really didn't believe us but gave us a replacement anyway. We brought the second one home and it does exactly the same thing. I'm too embarrassed to take it back again. You cannot turn the toaster beyond 3 as it burns one side of the toast badly. Cooking on 3 - one side of the toast is good and one is very undercooked. A big waste of money. It burnt my toast badly this morning so I thought I'm going to let others know about it. Sick of it

Date PurchasedApr 2017

I bought two slice toaster . It worked for about 3 months then stopped working. I replaced it with $30 Target toaster which works fine. It has been sitting in the box for about 6 months. Is there a easy fix or ready for bin. No power in the toaster it is almost brand new. Bas.
I would take it back for a refund.I bought it from Costco and I am no loger a member. I have only been to the shop about 2 times so can't justify paying another 50 or 60 bucks for a lousy toaster

I would like to order 2 slice toaster CT2003 VBC colour cream & brown i bought the kettle today & did not have any matching need asap?
You can buy the toasters from Big W & Good guys :)

2 slice beautiful red toaster conked out after 11 months. We are only 2 people here an we eat 3 toasts per day. Can't find my gift receipt either..grr. what can i do with it?
Take it back to the store you got it from and they may have you on record when you bought it or just email delonghi directly and put it on they they should replace it or at least tell you were to go from there.

Icona CTOE2003 (2 Slice)Icona CTO2003 (2 Slice)Icona CTOE4003 (4Slice)Icona CTO4003 (4 Slice)Icona CTOV2003 (2 Slice)Icona CTOV4003 (4 Slice)
Price (RRP) $149$139$189$179$149$189
Type2 Slice2 Slice4 Slice4 Slice2 Slice4 Slice
ExclusivityHarvey Norman, Domayne, Joyce MayneHarvey Norman, Domayne, Joyce Mayne
Release dateDec 2009Dec 2009Dec 2009Dec 2009