Dyson V11
Dyson V11 In-Depth Review

ProductReview.com.au's selected consumer review.

Another excellent product by Dyson

I have both hard and carpet flooring. What I like about this product is that it sucks up the dirt which is not visible. I didn’t go for the pro because I don’t like the gold colour, too garish. Prefers to buy the absolute and then later buy the other attachments that didn’t come with the absolute. I choose not to give it 5stars after reviewing a demo on YouTube. One of the cigs in the hard brush appears flimsy. Now I have to monitor it carefully to see if the same problem happens to my stick.

Purchased in May 2019 for $1,200.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood

Excellent for cleaning around the house

Boasts a 60 minute battery life and convenience as you can take it around the house without needing to constantly unplug and plug in a cord. Favourite feature is that it can sense when you are on carpet to ramp up the vacuum strength without needing to change vacuum attachments.

Purchased in May 2019.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Perfect for a small or big home

It's my first time having a cordless vacuum but it has been so helpful already. Don't need to switch modes when using it on carpet or tiles. Good battery life, can use it several times without charging. The only down side is probably the weight of it.

Life-Changing Appliance

It really is. In the time it takes to get all the stuff together for the old mains powered vacuum, I've already finished cleaning at least 2 rooms in the house.

I can usually clean my entire house, including dusting and still have about 25% battery life spare. The new Torque Drive head and auto load-sensing are fantastic features.

There is so much suction, you very rarely (if ever) need to use the boost feature. Med (Auto) is pretty much fine and still gets almost all the dust and dirt,

I thought the bin would be too small, however, I still only need to empty it twice, same as our Dyson DC23.

PROS
- Excellent battery life
- Incredible suction
- Full replacement for our old barrel vac.
- Decent sized bin.

CONS
- The V11 is an awkward shape for cleaning your car.
- Lack of a power switch toggle is annoying.
- The price.

Purchased in April 2019 at Harvey Norman for $1,199.00.

Excellent performance

Bought this vacuum three weeks ago. I have tiled floors in the living areas and carpet in the bedrooms. This vacuum performed well on all surfaces and you could hear the suction increase when going from the tiles to the carpet. Didn’t need to change heads as the standard head performed well on all surfaces. Battery life was excellent and did all the floors in our four bedroom house without needing to recharge.

Purchased in May 2019 at The Good Guys for $1,150.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Terrible ! 3 weeks in and broken with the worst customer service ever.

Paid $1200 for this vac and whilst it does a good job, I am unable to use it as the latch that unlocks the cannister doesn’t work and won’t release the dirt. I have had a number of Dyson products however they have lost a loyal customer due to their inability to be of much assistance when it comes to their customer service.

After explaining to two service reps what the issue is and that the canister needs to be replaced I am
Told that the whole unit needs to be sent back meaning I am without a vac for god knows how long until they replace the part that could easily be posted to me. I offered pictures and a video of how the latch doesn’t release and even though both reps agree that the canister is the issue I still have to send away the whole unit. Absolutely ridiculous for a machine that cost so much. The whole reason I bought this machine is due to my 2 dogs that shed and having to vac every day. Will be returning for refund and purchasing another brand. Poor form Dyson, not only have you lost me as a customer but a number of others that I have now discussed my issue with.

Purchased in April 2019 at Dyson for $1,200.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood
We are sorry to hear of your difficulty with your new V11. As the V11 machine is a newly released machine, any time an issue is reported we value the opportunity to investigate it and get a resolution for you as quickly as possible. To discuss further, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will only be happy to assist.Sent email with no reply, 3 phone calls with wrong information, over an hour on hold and still no outcome with a machine that can’t be used for nearly 3 weeks now. Lost a long time loyal customer now

Pocket Rocket!

Overview:

This is a great handheld or 'stick' vacuum, with some nifty features that make it a breeze to use.
It moves from carpet to hard floors to rugs effortlessly, and automatically adjusts the suction power depending on the surface your using it on – cool!

The supplied accessories are great, especially the power heads, that do an excellent job of lifting the pile on both long and short carpets.

You can either set it to automatic power control, and it will adjust the power level accordingly, or you can select the power level to give maximum performance or extended battery life.

On maximum, the battery runs down significantly quicker, but if you’re just doing a quick zip around before the Outlaws show up and then back on the charge – it’s really not an issue. On max power – it will easily let you vacuum a small apartment without running out.

General Use:
We have two dogs who are part of the family and (of course) have the run of the house. This means that the lounges, carpets and rugs all get a thorough mashing of both pet hair and God only knows what else they track in from the back yard.

The V11 does a great job of lifting the pet hair from our carpet, and especially the rugs! We really didn’t realise how much hair was still trapped in the rugs, even after vacuuming with out other Dyson. Our other Dyson is a pull along the floor type, and the little V11 really does do a better job on our rugs for removing pet hair.

We also have a cloth lounge which pet hair sticks to like Velcro, and again here the V11 does a better job than our other Dyson.

Another place where it works great is on the stairs – I’m not sure whether it does a better job of actually cleaning - but it’s definitely easier to use than to lug the other normal style Dyson up and down.

One place that surprised me was in the Car. I thought for sure that the V11 would be much better – but it’s not to my complete surprise. Even without a Head on the machine, it was more difficult to manoeuvre than just the hose and brush from our regular vacuum. This really surprised me, as I thought the V11 would excel here being smaller and able to get into the tight places, but it seemed bulky and just a bit awkward to use in the car.
It still cleaned well, but it was harder to get into all the nooks.

Obviously – where this machine excels is to clean up accidents and small messes or rooms. It is just so easy to grab it out of the cupboard, and clean-up the salt, sugar, cereal or whatever you spilt by accident. It really is so convenient, and if I still lived in an apartment, I would just have this vacuum and no other.

One of the misses for me is the Trigger switch. It seems great to use at first, but when using the machine for an extended period, the trigger can make you hand get a bit tired after a while, and sometimes where twisting the machine to get into a tight space, it sometimes can be hard to keep you finger on the trigger. It does though provide those 10 minutes of fun pretending that it is some kind of gun, and you are James Bond. (ok - it was longer than 10 minutes)

Quality of Construction:
Like most other Dyson products, the machine feels well engineered, and the fit and finish of the product is of a very high standard.

Packaging:
The machine comes securely packed in recyclable materials, and it was surprising to find the lack of little plastic bags like you normally get.

Charging:
The machine charges quite quickly, and if you’re only using this thing intermittently – the battery life is more than adequate. If you wanted to give your home a really deep or spring clean, and basically give this thing a thorough hiding - It would probably be better to do one room or two rooms at a time, with a short nap in between.

Cleaning & Noise:
Its actually a lot quieter than a regular vacuum, and emptying the dirt chamber is an no-brainer...

Overall Summary:

Hits:
Light, compact, oodles of power for its size. Dos an awesome job on small spills, rugs, hard floors, carpets, and furniture.
Vast array of attachments and power heads.
Fantastic job on Pet hair.

Misses:
Not the best option for the Car
Trigger button can be a bit hard on the hand after a while.
Cost - Obviously $1200 is a significant amount of cash to throw down not only on a vacuum - but pretty much anything. Do I think its worth the money? Look.... Honestly - I can see its well designed and built and is a quality product, and it definitely looks and feels expensive - but I would probably never splurge $1200 on a vacuum, but hey - its your money.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood

Fantastic machine!!!!

As part of the ProductReview Product Ambassador program, I was recently sent this machine for testing and my opinions. As a disclaimer this was sent to me for free and it is mine to keep, though I am certainly not unhappy about that!
After a brief and easy assembly, I put the unit to test in our house, which has a mix of tiles and cream carpets throughout. The main head has an auto mode available which adjusts the motor speed according to the type of surface you are cleaning, and I have found it quite useful as it saves battery when going over the tiles but bumps the power up to get through carpet. For a handheld unit, the V11 is quite large I found, especially compared to my Grandma's Animal model which she uses around her kitchen, however this does mean you get a bigger bin, more power, a bigger battery and more 'brains' if you will packed in, which more than compensates for the minor increase in weight. In regards to performance, the battery is plenty to clean our average size house and office extension, and the various attachments have great uses too, the main one I have liked being the "Mini motorised Tool", which I found out from a video was actually an awesome way of cleaning beds. I have attached a photo of the debris that was sucked out of my bed and doona cover, which I keep clean as best I can (dusting, changing sheets regularly etc.) and I was quite surprised. The rest of the family then followed with similar results.
No product is perfect of course, and as with most things there are a couple of areas which I think could be changed or improved in the future for a better experience using the product. One of the key things that I would suggest could be altered is the on/off trigger. Whilst the handle is fairly large so there's plenty or area to grab, it is still quite easy to accidentally turn the vacuum on when trying to pick it up. I think something like a trigger lock would be a good addition as it can sometimes get tiresome holding the trigger down for long periods of time.
Overall though the Dyson V11 is an awesome machine, yes it's price tag is up there but if you need a compact, powerful vacuum then the V11 will tick all those boxes. I will hopefully have a video put together soon which will go up on my YouTube channel, and I will put a link to it in here if I can.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Everyone should have one!

We have had the pleasure of testing the Dyson V11 Absolute vacuum cleaner for the last few weeks and this is what we found:
* Easily put together when it arrived in the box. Nothing overly complicated.
* There is a useful digital display that shows you how much charge is left in both percentage and time depending on which mode is being used.
* There are 3 modes available (eco, normal, boost).
* We have primarily tiles and floating board floors which get regularly dusty and the Dyson easily cleaned the surfaces without any problem using both eco and normal modes. It picks up dust and human hairs (including very long ones) easily.
* We do have some carpet rugs and when used over these surfaces it does automatically recognise the different surface and you can hear the cleaner seems to increase the power accordingly.
* Suction seems to be good and effective in picking up debris.
* Wall brackets were easy to install (done by hubby who had no problems). The only thing is he followed instructions and this resulted in the vacuum cleaner hanging around 15cm off the ground when in the bracket. Not sure why this needs to be the case but anyway this is how it turned out. The other thing is there is no way to stop the charging process once hanging in the wall cradle and I'm not a fan of just continually using up power unnecessarily hence prefer to just let it lean against the wall next to the cradle when not needed and only put it in the cradle when needing to be charged.
* We found the vacuum cleaner needs 3hr 45min to fully charge from 0 to 100%
* There are a number of attachments that are included in the box and what we found really useful is that these attachments can be attached not only to the Dyson itself but also the cradle which increases the chance of actually getting used rather than just sitting in the box collecting dust as they might end up doing. I do find this does remind you to use the most appropriate attachment for the job. Hubby used the long attachment to clean corners of the room (as he is the taller of the 2!) and for the first time he's actually expressed a desire to clean as it was so easy and gives such satisfaction to be able to see clean walls again!
* When emptying the canister it couldn't be any easier than pushing the red lever downwards and all the contents easily fall into the bin including long hairs! No more pulling long hairs stuck in vacuum bristles!
* The machine itself is reasonably light and easy to transport around the house though I personally would wish for a second one for the upstairs of the house

Overall I can't believe I have gone this long before trying a Dyson! It is so easy and fast to use that I end up using it almost on a daily basis esp after dinner to quickly clean up the kitchen and dining area.

For me the only negatives is why the machine needs to be hanging off the floor when charging in its cradle and also the fact that it's constantly charging when in the cradle. I would prefer if there was a way to switch off the charging as a full charge really does last for a long time. Also the other kind of dirt it can't really clean are stains that have occurred from water and dried up which you would need to remove the old fashion way on knees and elbows but otherwise it does a great job of cleaning.

I have no problems recommending this product and to be honest have already been talking about it to family, friends and work colleagues! The price is high but hopefully it will last a long time and get fully utilised in the meantime.

Finally I need to acknowledge that I was given this product for free in return for an honest review.

Floor Type Tiles
Thank you for taking the time to review your machine. We are pleased to hear you are happy with your new V11. Just to let you know, Once the battery is fully charged, your machine won't use any more electricity. The battery is designed to be left on charge permanently, and this will ensure that the vacuum is fully charged when it's next used. Again, thank you for your review and feedback.Thanks for letting me know about the charging! Now my favourite cleaner will sit happily in its cradle where it belongs. Very happy with this machine and the support and attention from the Dyson Team - many thanks!

The future of cordless vacuums is a clear winner

I’m sure a lot of people would agree with me that vacuuming isn’t fun and it’s a big chore if you live in a big house or have pets that tend to shed their own hair regardless of how much time and effort you put into avoiding their tumbleweed from going astray.

Dyson, as you may know it, releases a new version of their cordless vacuum at least once a year. Their innovative design and cordless technology really puts aside the chore of the common lugging around the machine and changing the power point whenever the cord extends to its maximum length.

As I said before, it’s uncommon to hear someone say that they love vacuuming. But with Dysons cordless design and lightweight features, it surely changes my thoughts about cleaning.

First of all, the V11 is not as heavy as you think despite the length of the tube. I’m not a strong person but lifting the vacuum with one hand to vacuum those random spider webs in the corner of the ceiling is effortless.

Dysons cordless range is all operated by holding down the trigger for continuous suction or maybe a few pulses here and there. You are in control of the suction.

When I first used the V11, I was surprised on how quiet it operates. I have used it at times when my wife was asleep in the room next door and she did not wake up at all. Didn’t even know I was using it either.

I live in a house that is approximately 260m2 - which isn’t very big and the only downside about the v11 is the size of the dust canister. If I were to fully vacuum the whole house, I will need to empty it 3 times at least. It’s not a big deal though. Emptying the canister is as simple as pushing down on the red lever with the hatch facing down. It’s suppose to empty everything without you needing to touch the dust but I have had problems many times when there’s too much hair stuck inside, I would need to use my fingers to pull the remaining bits out.

The v11 is the first to feature an LCD screen located at the back of the machine. It’s very simple to read. As you vacuum, there is a timer that runs down in minutes and seconds and this will give you an indication on the battery power you have remaining. The timer will adjust accordingly to whatever surface you are vacuuming on.

For example - a full charge is suppose to run approximately 60 minutes if you run it on the lowest power setting and depending on the type of floor surface. My house contains carpet and tiles. The carpet I have is not too thick. Battery power lasts for 40 minutes if I put it on “auto” setting. If I were to switch to the tiles, the timer would add an additional 10 or so minutes to the battery timer because the motor is not pushing itself as hard.

The power setting can be adjusted by simply pushing the one and only button located underneath the LCD screen. You got “eco” mode - which is the lowest setting, “auto” - which the vacuum will adjust when it detects different floor surfaces, and “max” which is the powerful setting. I always keep it on auto as I have not encountered anything that would not get picked up off the floor.

The torque drive version comes with an assortment of attachments ranging from the narrow tube, multi brush tool and brush. What was missing - to my disappointment, was the extended hose which would’ve been handy for the car interior. I did manage to purchase the hose at Harvey Norman for $29 however.

There’s pretty much next to nothing on the negatives as the positives outweighs it. The RRP of $1099 could be questionable though. Dyson vacuums are well known for their hefty price tag, but it’s well worth every penny. There’s hardly any maintenance involved. It’ll never lose suction regardless of how much dust you have accumulated and of course, it’s bagless.

I have owned a Dyson in the past, a cinetic ball. It’s a welcoming change as switching power points and the lugging is a thing of the past.

Cordless also means better manoeuvrability, like me, with narrow hallways. Convenience, if I see a stray ball of cat hair, it’s as easy as picking up the vacuum and pulling that trigger.

Can a stick vac cut it?

About three years ago, I gave a stick vacuum a go. Such was my level of disappointment, I felt moved to review it here as a warning to others for that particular model. I have since read similar comments from other people about that purchase, and wished I had waited. The alternative was to be realistic and go for something better, however I couldn't justify it at the time. Since then, our barrel cleaner has soldiered on, and for the past month we've been using the Dyson V11 Absolute.
So can a stick vacuum cleaner hope to compare?

You can only make one first impression. That's the neat packaging of the unit and accessories using many cardboard dividers and paper. No plastic at all. The documentation is comprehensive, with the main user manual using text and a few pages of pictograms to relay the important stuff. The back cover is the Guarantee Form in case you want to cut and mail in. You can also register online or phone on a freecall number. The colour scheme of the icons is a bit heavy and dark (too much grey) and they should be ~10% bigger. The Additional Information section is presented in a much smaller font than the Safety section at the start. It appears to be 8 point whereas earlier it appears to be 14 point text. It can't be for paper saving, as there's a blank page following the Safety part. Some consistency there would be good.

The charging components have their own fold-out instructions in several languages. This is better laid out. There's also a small colour fold-out on general use and features.

Onto the contents. I quickly realised there are more attachments than I'm likely to use. Three types of brush, crevice tool, accessory clip and small, general and hard floor motorised heads. What feels like an aluminium wand and the charger components. Quite a lot packed into it. Everything is nicely designed and finished.

The charging stand is a two-piece design, with a flat wall plate and main outer section that can hinge up. This allows replacement of DC charger should it be necessary, and adjustment or removal of the fixing screws. Two 50mm screws and wall plugs are supplied, but my preference was not to drill. Four 3M Command adhesive strips deployed, and it was up. I set the height of the charging stand to allow the head of the V11A to rest on the floor. This reduces the weight burden on the mounting strips, yet is the correct height to allow proper charging plug engagement.

The first charge took roughly 3 hours. This can be seen from a distance; blue LEDs will stop blinking on the battery case. If you want to check the charging progress, pressing the silver button below the screen will show the exact value, much like a smart phone. The battery is an internal unit rated at 25.2V and 3600mAh capacity.

Assembling the unit is simple and intuitive, with everything clicking into place securely. The wand clip can be used to keep two smaller attachments with you. It clips easily and remains secure. The attachments use their button locks to slide and lock into the clip. I left the height adjuster on the high-torque head in the mid position. Now to try it for the first time.

The assembled unit is reasonably light. Pressing the trigger has the suction and turbo head motors engage in the default Auto mode at a surprisingly low noise level. I don't have a decibel value, but it was much quieter than expected. Low-pile polypropylene carpet is no challenge at all, with dust, kitty litter fragments, fur and hair filling the dust canister in five minutes. Admittedly, we had slacked off in anticipation of testing the V11A. The machine was unfazed and ready for more, but it needed emptying first.

This model Dyson requires removal of the wand before you empty the canister. Easy enough, and a quick slide of a tab sees the canister mostly empty. Just a few hairs were caught at the top edge.

Now onto our deeper pile acrylic rugs. Two are butted together for a 3.2 x 2.4 metre surface. This is a real magnet for cat and human hair. Our barrel vac with generic turbo brush head does a reasonable job, but the hair regularly winds onto the brush shaft and slows it down, reducing effectiveness.

I expected the V11A to be almost as good. Wasn't I shocked to discover it was better? Not only were the cleaning results better, it was quicker to achieve. The bonus? After I'd finished, there were only a couple of hairs wrapped around the Dyson turbo head which were easily pulled out. Comparing the two, it's obviously the brush design. What a voracious appetite this Dyson has. The rugs had seen me exceed the recommended capacity (over the silicone skirt). No harm done, and it emptied completely this time.

The screen is easily read while using the V11A, with the real-time battery countdown a novel feature. This allows you to plan and prioritise, but in our case (2 bedroom villa) I suspected the 52 remaining minutes would be more than enough. I was correct. Our bedrooms and adjoining hallway has another, deeper pile carpet that hides our sins very well. There's no hiding from this Dyson V11A. Without going under beds or moving items, the canister was full on completion after eight minutes.

Small brush and crevice tools were effective with wall and ceiling cobwebs and tighter nooks. I was delaying the kitchen/bathroom for last with the hard floor head. To be honest, it's probably too good for these vinyl floors, appearing to be designed for wood or tile. It certainly was hypnotic as the red-blue brush spun up a purple blur! A few minutes in each room and job done, with crevice tool employed for the few narrow spaces.

A quick clean was done with the display indicating 44 and-a-bit minutes of Auto was still available. We could repeat this process twice more before needing a recharge?! It didn't take us long to realise the real value of this machine. When something is well-designed, convenient to use and so capable, the task is made easier. This test, and subsequent use, has confirmed that vacuuming our home is faster with the Dyson V11A than our beloved Nilfisk Bravo barrel. Despite having less actual suction (hand over end of wand) the Dyson SYSTEM works in concert to achieve the same result, but faster. Not having to unplug/plug and easier maneuverability also contribute to this.

What about the switchable modes?
The whole first test, and 90% of the time, we keep it in Auto. The sensor detects surface changes and adjusts motor output accordingly. The single button will cycle Auto->Turbo->Eco. While turbo is nice, we just didn't encounter a situation where we really needed it. The battery discharges much faster as shown on the display too. Interestingly, the V11A in Turbo is quieter than our previous compact vac I reviewed in 2017. To further rub it in, using Eco mode sees vastly superior cleaning performance than the old mains-powered stick. Eco was used for quick cleans where we wanted to conserve battery charge for a "proper" full clean later in the week.

Finally, checking and cleaning the filters is very easily achieved. I accelerated the drying phase by hanging in a sheer laundry bag on a windy day. The V11A will show blockage and filter service messages on the screen too, but we didn't encounter either thus far.

It can't be so perfect, can it? Well, no. A star short of perfect, as I'll explain.
The trigger profile is flat, and I believe a mild concavity would be more comfortable. Where the weight of the motor/filter casing rests against your thumb knuckle joint, mild irritation, chafing or blistering may occur. I found this to be the case after 15 minutes of use, and my spouse confirmed the same after about 10 minutes. A small piece of self-adhesive urethane solved this.

Another slight irritant relates to how attachments engage. There's a catch and button system which ensures forward (12 o'clock) orientation. While this is fine for the articulated heads that can hinge and rotate, the crevice or brush tools are fixed at that angle. In use, this translates to having to tilt the unit to achieve the cleaning angle you require. It's not an impossible situation, however the weight distribution is such that it's best (most comfortable) to keep it straight. The heaviest component must surely be the battery pack. A detachable battery unit would be preferable. The user manual is a bit uneven, as detailed
further up.

I wish the dust canister was bigger, but also accept that limitation given the product type. Ultimately, that's the only thing that might hold the V11A back. Performance-wise, it's equal to our barrel unit and certainly more convenient. If you don't mind frequent canister unloading, this could be the only vac you need.

It's not cheap, but the best rarely is.

Floor Type Carpet and Linoleum

A handheld vacuum powerful enough to replace any vacuum. Almost!

I’ve used the Dyson V11 for about a month now, and have been really impressed with the performance of the machine. To start, I’ll tell you a bit about how I use the vacuum. I usually vacuum every other day, and my 2 bedroom apartment consists of mostly wooden floors, with plush pile carpet in the bedrooms. For comparison purposes, I currently use a Miele Complete C3 with the turbo comfort head and HEPA AirClean 50 filter.

Unboxing the V11 was a really pleasant surprise. Not a single piece of plastic wrap to be found! Thanks Dyson, for taking a sustainable and environmentally sound approach to packaging. Lots of cardboard inside the box to protect everything during transport. See photos.

There are so many tools included with the V11 Absolute. Just about everything you could need is included in the box, and the price of any additional tools you might like is quite reasonable. If you have tight places you’d like to use the tools in, it can be a bit difficult. This is really noticeable when cleaning inside the car, or such places like behind the tv, or using the soft dusting brush to clean around items. I assume the optional flexible hose could make this task a lot easier, and this is something I am considering the purchase of. The wand storage clip is a particularly good idea. Thanks Dyson! Somewhere to store the crevice and combination tools to keep them handy. The other tools don’t fit, however.

Every day vacuuming performance is impressive. The high torque floor tool provides excellent contact suction with the carpet, and the agitation from the brushes is strong. This ensures that dirt deep in the pile is drawn up and out of the carpet. Due to having a very powerful canister vacuum already, I had high expectations of the V11. The amount of extra dirt pulled up from the carpet was minimal, so I took it over to my neighbours apartment. They had just vacuumed with their VAX barrel vacuum with turbo brush head. I went over their carpets again, and was shocked at how much dirt came out of the seemingly clean carpet. The canister was full, from cleaning 2 bedrooms. The excellent high torque cleaner head also leaves a pleasant pattern in the carpet pile, like a good turbo head should. See photos.

The fluffy head works great on all hard floor surfaces, and is particularly easy to manoeuvre around furniture. Going under low furniture is a different story. The fluffy head is no where near as good as the high torque head when articulating under furniture. The high torque cleaner head works just as well on hard flooring, so there’s really no need to change heads.

Battery life of the V11 is excellent. First charge took about 2.5 hours. On one charge, I cleaned THREE 2 bedroom apartments, and the shared corridor area, before the battery was flat. I was using the “auto” setting, and the high torque cleaner head. Very impressive as far as run time goes. The downside to this is the weight of the machine. After vacuuming such a large area, my arm was fatigued, and so was my hand and finger, from having to constantly hold the trigger on. The V11 is definitely a heavy handheld vacuum. Very powerful, with a long runtime, but if you have a large house to clean you may be better off with a canister or upright vacuum. Cleaning just a 2-3 room apartment is fine, though. With the cleaner set in “auto/med” mode, the suction is automatically adjusted when cleaning with the high torque head. After a month of using the vacuum, I found I never needed to use the boost function.

After a week of use, with daily emptying of the dust bin, I rediscovered why I don’t like bagless vacuums. Even though the clever design of the dust bin mechanism removes the need to actually touch the dirt, there’s still a cloud of dust that is thrown up from the bin when emptying. Dust also clings to the outside of the dust bin, so it’s a good idea to have a dusting cloth nearby to wipe down the outside of the vacuum afterward. For dust allergy sufferers such as myself, a bagged vacuum is by far the best option.

Also after the first week’s use, the filter was quite heavily clogged with dust and fibres, eventually showing on the display as a blockage. I phoned Dyson support, and was not impressed with the level of customer service. After emailing Dyson, I discovered that is the best way to contact them. Dyson emailed me back, and have sent a replacement filter, which hasn’t arrived yet. Washing the filter every other week is a bit of a nuisance. I’ve resorting to cleaning the filter using my other vacuum in the meantime.

All in all, The Dyson V11 is an excellent hand held vacuum. Outstanding suction and cleaning performance, and excellent filtration. It is on the pricier end of the scale, but if you are in the market for a new vacuum, be it hand held, canister, or upright make sure you check out the Dyson V11. It really is a great vacuum that in most instances, will replace many other models.

Pros:
-Great suction and cleaning performance
-Quiet operation in auto or eco modes
-Air filtration is excellent
-Long battery life
-Informative display
-High torque cleaner head is excellent on all surfaces
-Mini motorised brush head is great
-Easy to empty dust bin
-Lots of included tools

Cons:
-It is heavy
-No lock down trigger (with battery life this long, surely Dyson can add a lock down tigger now)
-Difficult to use in tight spaces
-Still produces a cloud of dust when emptying dust bin
-Quite expensive

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Very handy, but very expensive

TL;DR: While this vacuum is extremely versatile and a fantastic performer in almost every area, I feel that the high price will be an insurmountable hurdle for most people. The steep RRP is the main reason for rating this 4 instead of 5 stars. If price is no object for you, this thing is a winner!

Appearance
Dyson has made slick design a signature of their brand and the V11 is a welcome continuation of this trend. The machine is long, lean, and the purple tones look great. The colour scheme has obviously been planned out to intuitively guide you as you use the machine. For example, all the buttons and switches are red, and anywhere you would need to regularly check (inside the heads and dust bin) is clear, so you don't have to take the whole thing apart to locate a piece of Lego.

Putting It To Use
Straight off the bat, do NOT buy this vacuum if you are curious about how much dust, dirt, and dead skin has squirrelled itself away in places you don't normally vacuum. If thinking "I can't believe I've been sleeping on that." provokes too much anxiety, then ignore this vacuum and continue to just vacuum your floors and live in blissful ignorance. Vacuuming unusual place is where the V11 really sets itself out from the crowd, but obviously we must address the bread and butter of all vacuum cleaners first - floors.

The day before first trying the V11 I vacuumed my carpeted living room with one of my current vacuum cleaners, the Electrolux Ultraflex Origin, a powerful barrel vacuum. Thankfully, only a small amount of debris was extracted by the V11 when going over this pre-cleaned area. I would say it performed about as well as the Ultraflex on other previously untouched areas of the house with the same carpet.

At this point, I would say there is no real reason to purchase the Dyson over any other decent barrel or upright vacuum if all you were going to be doing was vacuuming normal household floors. Sure the Dyson looks nice, and is much more portable, but you're paying four times the price for the same result. However, this would be chronically under-using the V11 in my opinion. What makes the V11 such a great machine is its versatility. The power-to-size ratio, portability, and wide range of included heads allow you to clean things you may have not considered, or not bothered with before. The powered mattress cleaner (looks like a mini version of the normal head) is one of the heads I've found myself using the most. I'll spare you a picture of fine dead skin particles after whizzing around the dust bin and just say that I now encourage everyone to regularly vacuum their mattress, and the V11 is the perfect tool to do it. The mattress tool was also great for car seats and office chairs too, something I hadn't considered until I found myself walking around looking for more targets.

Included Attachments
This is the real point of differentiation between individual models in each V-series range. The motor unit is the same for the Torque Drive, Absolute, and Absolute Pro, they just come with more stuff as you go up in price. The crevice tool and mattress tool are the two I've found myself using the most. I tried to find some use cases for the other small brushes, but am so far unable to find a situation where one of the small brushes would be the perfect solution. The only tool I've found myself missing was a flexible hose, as the rigid crevice tool is sometimes unable to get into some unusual spots (e.g. the storage slots that run along car doors).

I have two other small complaints regarding the attachments.
Firstly, it's not clear what specific purpose each head serves. Some are fairly obvious (e.g. the thin crevice tool), while others were obviously designed to do a particular unique job, but this isn't listed anywhere. Even other reviews I read on this site and others didn't offer a piece-by-piece definition. While there is some joy in discovery, for the price you're paying I'd expect to be guided at least a little bit on how to maximise the potential of my machine.

Secondly, the storage of all the heads seems surprisingly short-sighted for a product that is otherwise so meticulously put together. The docking port provides click-in slots for two of the extra heads, while two more can be stored on a detachable mount on the stick itself. But this still leaves two heads with nowhere to go, so you can either store them just on the floor where your machine docks, or in a cupboard somewhere.

Ergonomics, High-End Tech, Bells & Whistles
If you've never handled one of Dyson's V-series sticks before, you may be surprised at the heft of the V11. While it's certainly easier to handle than a barrel or upright vacuum, don't expect to be whipping this thing around like a feather duster. Assembly of the machine and the dock was easy and straightforward.

The "set and forget" nature of the Torque Drive is probably more convenient than I realise even after a month of use, but that's a sign of great design right? The sensor here is smart enough that it will adjust power not only going from carpet to tile, but also from carpet to our rug which has a raised pattern on it.

The LCD screen is handy, but certainly not necessary. The battery and time-remaining information is useful, but the blockage information less so. If the machine senses a blockage, it makes a pulsing sound and will display a warning on the screen. It will then run through a short video showing how to check all the places the machine could be blocked. It cannot tell exactly where the blockage is, and so it just shows you every possible location. This might be handy if you're a new owner, but once you've had the machine for a while and have taken it apart a few times this information isn't that helpful. Still, it's clear enough that I'm sure it's decreased the number of calls the Dyson support line fields each day.

The noise level is fine. While it gets pretty loud on Boost mode, you'd be fine doing a short vacuum job using Eco mode at 10pm in an apartment without disturbing your neighbours. It makes an unusually satisfying sound when powering down that I am not going embarrass myself trying to turn into text here.

Summary
Now that I have it, I love this vac and hopefully will continue to use it for years to come. I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to have it fully replace my barrel vacuum at this stage, but if you have even a 3-bedroom fully carpeted house the V11 would serve you well as a solo vacuum. I'm not certain it would be sufficient for a 4+ bedroom fully carpeted house, but it would give it a hell of a go.
The only drawback that I can't get away from is the high price. I really couldn't justify spending $1200 on this machine when you can get a barrel vac for $300 that will clean your carpets just as well, but that requires a little more effort each use.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

It Really, Really Sucks - In A Good Way!

I was sent this unit as part of the Ambassador program to trial and review.

Dyson's been one of the leading innovators in cyclone vacuum technology over the years. Because let's face it, there hadn't been much in the way of technological advance in vacuum systems until Dyson came along. I've read that with the release of this model they plan to cease production of corded models. Is it really that good that it's a corded vacuum killer?

First impressions from unboxing is that without anything attached it looks like a 60/70's ray gun! The units packed very well with recyclable materials so nothings going break before it gets to you. There's a quick start guide and a manual with more pages and simple pictures to get you up and running. Scanning through the Dyson site, the motors apparently 20% more powerful than the last model (V10), runs at 12500 RPM (yeah - really), longer battery life, 3 modes of power, larger dust collection container and HEPA filtration down to fine particles.

Charging & Docking
Upon arrival, there's about 30% charge to the battery and the instruction recommend to fully charge before first use. This took around 2-2.5 hours. Normal charging from flat is stated to be around 3-4.5 hours. When I depleted the battery it took about 3.5hrs to recharge.

Battery life is claimed at 60 min in eco mode, with no powered accessories. Now, because you're going to use the powered head for most of the cleaning it - How long does it really last? I used it on medium/auto to do the floors and dusting in the lounge, hall, main bedroom, office, toilet and bathroom. By this stage, the battery ran out and the dust collecting was over full. This took about 90 mins of on/off. Normally, I wouldn't be doing the dusting as well so there's more than enough juice in the tank for normal cleaning. When the battery got down to a couple of minutes left, I switched to eco. With 2 minutes left on the life, the unit switched itself off and needed recharging. So I wouldn't exactly go off the display times as they're an indication.

The docking station is only somewhat useful. There's room for two of the smaller accessories, but what do you do with the other two included heads? Yeah, storage of the accessories is a let down. A clear holder is included which attaches to the wand and holds two small accessory brushes (which is pretty handy, although the delicate duster won't fit which is probably one that I would want on there).

You can leave the unit permanently on charge ready for the next cleaning attack. The necessary electronics inside will keep it from being overcharged. A quick look at the battery and they're easily replaceable when it bites the dust - Three screws and it pops out much like any cordless tool (providing they're available as a spare part from Dyson in a few years). Because of the short run time/long charge time it would have been a better idea to have a replaceable battery. Have one charged and one in the unit. Even the cheap power tool companies know this.

Instruction Manual
The instructions don't include any information on what the soft head is actually used for (the torque head there is). I would assume it's for hard or laminate floors. The only information supplied is on how to disassemble the unit for cleaning. Doing a browse of the website proved hard to find the information. I would have expected going into the support section that there would be a full electronic version of an instruction manual, along with electronic versions of the included manual and quick start guide. These proved allusive, however going into the online shop and choosing the V11 model gave a short explanation of it's use.

Daily Use
My house has a bit of everything - carpet, mats, vinyl and laminate flooring. The cord from the old vacuum doesn't reach the back of the house so you'd have to swap power sockets. Changing heads or other accessories on the old vacuum was also a pain if you were changing from carpet to hard surfaces. So I was interested to see how it performed going from one surface to another. It did not disappoint. And it's pretty quiet for a vacuum. The unit changed suction power almost instantaneously depending on the surface. On Eco mode, I felt it's probably not enough power unless you're just giving things a quick going over. Generally, I'm using it on medium/auto mode.

The accessories can be used with or without the wand, effectively making it a hand held dust buster unit - great for the car or dusting. However at around 2-3kg, it's a little on the heavy side and uncomfortable holding a machine up in the air for prolonged periods of time trying to dust corners, ceilings and pictures. However, the weights not so much of an issue when you're using it with the wand and one of the powered heads just doing floors. It easily glides over surfaces, under beds and cupboards. I'm pretty sure the brooms not even going to get a look in these days. I've read some other reviews and I have to agree that the motor position and dust collection at the top of the unit does make it somewhat top heavy. On the other hand, it leaves the wand section clear to get behind cupboards and hard to reach places without the motor getting in the way.

The included accessories are easy to attach/detach and seem quiet firm. Personally, I think that I could do without the small and hard flooring heads as these could be sold as an add on accessory and bring the price down for a few hundred dollars. Not everyone's going to need them and the torque head does a pretty good job itself on hard surfaces. Personally I think it should come with
- an adjustable knuckle as it's a little difficult to get above cupboards with a straight wand.
- an attachment to suit curved surfaces (like in a car) considering it can also be a hand held unit
- a flexible hose (again for using in the car)

The power switch can be annoying at times as when you're lifting the unit, I was turning it on when I didn't mean to. Everyone that tried it had the same issue. It's almost like it has a hair trigger! I think it could benefit from a switch that doesn't turn on as quick and a locking "ON" button as I don't particular like to hold the button down for 5-10 minutes at a time while I'm doing a room. One of the features is that it adjusts itself going from one surface to another - I'm a big enough boy to turn it off when I don't need it on. Even though the trigger is easy to press, considering the upper weight I'm not too sure if it's suited for elderly people. One other thing that would be handy is having a light on the head when you're vacuuming under a bed or down a hallway that doesn't have much light.

After the first cleaning, the missus actually said the carpets "looked" cleaner. I must say, I think I agree with her. Although I think it's due to it pulling the pile up well.

LCD readout
The unit's power can be changed to give extra battery life. Eco mode for the longest (but lowest suction), medium/auto gives medium/auto speeds depending on the the surface while boost gives the maximum suction (and lowest battery). It's also got some warning lights in-case the units blocked, or a filter isn't installed correctly.

To remove the rollers from the three supplied heads (small, soft and torque) is relatively simple by moving the locking screw a 1/4 turn with a medium coin ($1, 10c, 20c). The soft head will need a 5c or 10c piece.
To empty the dust collection is as simple as pushing on the red level and pushing the container all they way forward. The dirt just falls out and it also cleans around the first filter. I would say the clips look pretty flimsy and I'm not too sure how long they'll last.

The air filter, is a quick twist and off it comes. Just wash the filter and hard floor brush in water and leave to dry for 24hrs - simple. No need to wash the other heads, just take the rollers out and remove anything that's tangled around them.

After Sales
While there are options to choose spares for this and older models, when selected there's nothing available. I'd have to assume that spares would be available through authorised repair centres? So I contacted support at least batteries are available through a service centre. The website itself has a wealth of info on the product & tips with included videos.

Conclusion
It's a good unit and I find we're cleaning more often as it's easy to get out and just go over quickly when the grand kids decide to make a mess. The battery life is pretty good (except for long cleans), attachments fit well and are pretty handy. There's a few down points like weight and cleaning angles, but overall a pretty good unit (and would want to be considering the price tag).

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Wood

Versatile, but tiring to use

I’ve been using the Dyson V11 for several weeks now as part of the Ambassador Programme.
It’s ideal for blitz cleaning – when you want to spruce up the house or part of the house in a hurry.

I really like the maneuverability of the omni-directional swivel foot – vacuuming in tight spaces like gaps between the fridge and the wall is much easier with the V11 than with our conventional vacuum cleaner (a Charles).

I also really like the portability of the V11. I can just grab it in one hand, walk down the stairs with it, and start vacuuming the car or the granny flat. This is much easier than lugging a conventional vacuum around or having to drag a cord behind you.

Another thing I like is the “storability” of the V11. It takes up less storage space than a conventional vacuum cleaner and it can be wall mounted if desired.

Unlike a conventional vacuum cleaner, the V11 has a choice of three power settings – economy, auto and boost modes. It also has a display which counts down the minutes left before you need to recharge it.

At the time of writing, the run time before recharging is excellent if you use it on economy mode on hard floors. I can vacuum our 3 bedrooms, the living room, kitchen and dining area on one charge and it still has about 40% battery charge left in it when I plug it back in to recharge it. Run time from full recharge is about 60 minutes in economy mode, 40 minutes in auto mode and 10 minutes in boost mode on our hard floors. Run time until recharge is reduced if you are vacuuming carpet instead of hard floors. Run time is also reduced if you have an obstruction in the pipe or filter.

The V11 charges just like a mobile phone. The display indicates how full the battery is, before and after charging it. It takes about 4 hours to charge from 20% battery remaining up to full charge.

Performance wise, the V11 picked up sand, dog hair, dust and bird seed effortlessly. I found the V11 worked best on wooden floors, cork tiles and ceramic tiles in economy and auto modes. I was also happy with its performance on lounge upholstery and metal stairs in economy and auto mode. Its performance on carpet was okay although I found I had to use it in boost mode most of the time to get the same results as my Charles vacuum cleaner.

Dyson have made the V11 intuitive to use and maintain. It is straightforward to empty the dust collector and remove blockages from the extension pipe and the foot. The top filter is also easily removed to clean it. A message on the display warns you if the filter cover has not been clicked back into place correctly, and the display shows you a brief tutorial on how to fix the issue. (See photos 1-5 below).

The V11 could replace a conventional corded vacuum cleaner in many households, with these exceptions…
• The V11 is a dry vac only, so it won’t suit your household if you require a wet-dry vacuum cleaner.
• It might not suit you if you have a house full of carpet or a lot of muddy foot traffic.
• The V11 works by manually holding in a trigger (like when you’re using a drill). The trigger itself is responsive, but your remaining fingers have to support the weight of the V11. While I don't have arthritis, I found holding the trigger in was tiring - borderline cramping. If you have stiff or painful hands, you may have trouble using the V11.
• The V11 is not heavy when you initially pick it up, but after vacuuming a few rooms, your hands, wrists, forearms and upper arms feel like they’ve had a real workout. If you have achy or sore joints, you may have trouble using the V11.

Design modifications I think consumers would appreciate…
• A button that locks the trigger on (like the trigger lock found on some drills and fuel bowser fillers) would make it less tiring on the fingers.
• An arm rest (like the brace found on some metal detectors) would make it less tiring on the arms.

Summing up, Dyson are clearly leading the field when it comes to cordless, rechargeable vacuums. The compact design and performance of the V11 makes it ideal for people who live in caravans, smaller apartments, and larger homes with hard floors. While the weight of the V11 is probably mostly due to the rechargeable battery, some minor improvements in design like a trigger lock and an optional arm rest would make the next version of the V11 more user friendly.

Excellent Vacuum but Missing Some Wanted Features

I still remember when I bought my first Dyson and brought it home and started vacuuming around the house. I was so shocked at the amount of dirt and dust that was coming out of my carpet that I actually rang Dyson’s help line for advice. He said that for the first few weeks I would be pulling out years of dirt and dust that my old vacuum cleaner with a standard, non-motorised head was just leaving behind. And nothing has changed really. If you’re reading this and you have a normal vacuum cleaner in the cupboard and you think a battery powered vacuum cleaner couldn’t possibly compete you really need to think again… really.
In the box you get a Dyson V11 Absolute vacuum cleaner, a variety of brush head attachments, a fluffy hard floor tool that looks like a paint roller, a narrow motor head, a crevice tool and the new Dyson High Torque auto-sensing motor head, as well as a wall mount charging dock and a plug-in wall charger that can either be used in conjunction with the wall mount or as a stand-alone charger a bit like charging a mobile phone. And what struck me when pulling it all out of the box and putting it together was the build quality. It looks and feels like an expensive machine that is going to perform well. Also, on the inside of the lid is a quick start guide and a QR code you can scan to register your product and watch a few videos so you can get going straight away. My QR code didn’t work – I had to type in the web address manually from what I thought it was trying to do. But once I got going it was easy enough to register the product and start using it.
Getting it out of the box was easy and assembly was a cinch. After clicking a few pieces together it was ready for the 4 hours of charging it needed before its first use. But what really surprised me was the wall-mountable charging station came with 2 screws and a couple of masonry plugs just in case I needed to mount it to concrete, tiles or brick. Now I know what I’m doing but in asking a few people what was behind the wall next to the power point they intended to use, many people just didn’t know. And screwing the screws into power cabling behind the wall could be a problem. Further, most people didn’t know the correct way to install something into plaster board, concrete, brick or tiles. So if you don’t know, get a handyman or install it onto the side of a kitchen or laundry cupboard for example. And remember it doesn’t need to have the long tube attached in order to charge so you can also charge it in a microwave oven cavity, a small cupboard or next to the fridge.
After about 4 hours of charging the V11 was ready to go and the LCD display let me choose from 3 different vacuuming modes if I used the fluffy roller on my hard floors: Eco, Medium or Boost (Medium is replaced with Auto when you use the High Torque auto-sensing motor head). Eco uses the least amount of battery power and is ample for regular cleaning of hard floors. It gives around 60mins of run time. Medium is good for carpet or general cleaning (like cobwebs or skirting boards) but it reduces cleaning time by half. Boost mode is good for high traffic areas such as just inside the front door, outside the toilet door or the foot wells in your cars, but actual cleaning time in this mode is a mere 7 minutes if the battery is fully charged. If using the High Torque auto-sensing motor head the head senses when you roll from a hard floor onto carpet and it will kick-up the suction and use more power so your actual running time will be between 30 and 60 minutes depending on how much carpet you have and how much drag it puts on the head.
I rang the Dyson call centre again to see if their support was as good as I remember and I wasn’t disappointed. Hold time was only 5 minutes and the Australian call centre operator said she was only 50 minutes from my house and she was also able to quickly answer even my most thought provoking questions and showed a more than adequate knowledge of the product and an eagerness to have me end the call totally satisfied. But since I was such a new uptaker of their product she was unable to give me the price of a battery as it wasn’t yet listed as a part on their system.
After vacuuming as much as I could I had to charge the unit again. You know when you get on a roll and you just want to keep going? Yeah, I felt flat too. Realising I had to wait another 4 hours before I could go again was disheartening. Our other cordless stick is a Makita Shop Vac which was $149. It has been great on hard floors and when the battery is flat you slide it off and snap another one into place and just keep going. The Dyson wall mount charger could change here too; there really needs to be room to charge both the vacuum cleaner and a spare battery at the same time so that when the current battery is exhausted a new one can slide into place (a spare Dyson battery is around $95 but there is a bit of screwing and fiddling involved here and it needs to be charged on the machine). The charging time also needs work. When I can charge my cutting-edge mobile phone, laptop and power tools in around an hour from flat my expectations are that my cutting-edge vacuum cleaner ought to be able to do the same.
There is also room here for Dyson to provide a range of battery options. While they could sell it with a standard battery they could also make available a battery with a higher capacity and another slide-on battery with 2 hours run time for those for whom weight is not an issue.
When I got going again the V11 made very short work of cobwebs, crevices, computer keyboards with the brush attachments, my whole home office including the dust that gets into power boards, the blinds, my table lamp shades and even the insects that get caught in light fittings. And if you don’t like using insect sprays around the house you can set your Dyson V11 to Boost and sneak up on cockroaches, spiders and flies and suck them up in a jiffy. But don’t worry about touching anything - just aim the dust collector at your open wheelie bin and slide that magic red lever forward and ‘whoosh’, it all goes into the outdoor bin without you having to touch a thing. The squeegee even scrapes the inside of the dust collector to get rid of the tough bits too. Unfortunately, Dyson hasn’t yet sorted out the problem of dirt getting onto the outside of the vacuum cleaner during this process so when you close the lid you may need to give it a quick wipe down. And you may find that hair gets caught on that squeegee especially if you have people living in your house with long hair.
The fun doesn’t end here. I put the skinny motor head on and vacuumed our mattress while everything else was in the wash. Yuck! (Gagging while typing – I had no idea we were sleeping on so much dust.) And then vacuumed the car seats and floors but couldn’t get the V11 to vacuum under the seats as it couldn’t fit, even with the tube removed. Interestingly, I had the same experience with the couches in the house. My normal corded Dyson had no problems reaching all the way under the couches to the wall but the V11 can’t rotate to 90° and lay flat so the couches have to be pulled away from the wall. Ditto for vacuuming under beds. And while there is power running down the full length of the tube there is no LED lighting like a power drill so vacuuming under beds and couches or behind the fridge is still done in darkness. But Dyson do have these sneaky doors on the front of their new head that can open and close to assist with blocking out unwanted objects. I call them the Lego doors. There is no need for any Lego men to pay the ultimate price for dad doing the vacuuming – just close the doors while doing the kids bedrooms and you’re good.
Hair and threads also make vacuuming bedrooms the same chore it used to be. The only solution here is to dismantle the head and pull or snip them off. I had hoped by now that straight path technology would be used here like in photocopiers and printers. If a hair enters the suction head in a straight path it just goes straight up the tube and into the barrel just like if the head was not attached. But on a happier note, if you do manage to jam up the head or create a blockage the motor pulses like a blender and the LCD screen plays a video showing you how to remove the blockage. The same goes for a full air filter – if the HEPA anti-allergy filter is in need of a wash the LCD screen plays a video again and shows you what to do. And no need to buy extra filters when you can just keep washing the one that came with the unit when you bought it.
What really surprised me with the change from the V10 to the V11 is that while there is a 20% uplift in suction power my $1300 still doesn’t buy me connectivity to my smart device. I had thought that by now my Dyson would talk to my smart phone and play a video on there that shows me how to unblock it, clean the filter or put a reminder in my calendar to do the same. After all, if the battery is running low and you suck up one of the baby’s socks would you really fix it right then or would you put it on the charger and keep getting on with your day? The unit also can’t collect usage data to send to Dyson and won’t offer firmware updates with any tweaks or improvements Dyson comes up with to improve performance or battery life.
I also wanted to let you in on a little secret: I don’t buy faded jeans and I also like my things looking as new as possible for as long as possible but Dyson still lets me down here. Most of the vacuum cleaner is made from polycarbonate (plastic) and aluminium (metal) that has been coloured. If you bump polycarbonate into something that is painted and you get some paint transfer onto your Dyson it can be really hard to get it off as paint solvents eat plastic. Secondly, the polycarbonate fogs up easily from all the dust and if you vacuum sand, it will also eat away at the plastic making it look foggy. This can’t be repaired. And if you are vacuuming around brickwork or a table with a glass or metal edge and the tube gets scratched it is really obvious. Lastly, the Dyson V11 Absolute logo on the tube is just a sticker so if you put hand cream on before vacuuming, the lubricant in the hand cream will lift an edge of that sticker and it’s all downhill from there.
So my advice here is going to surprise some of you, I know. If your house is mainly hard floors like wood, tiles or concrete just get a Makita Stick Vac for $149 and a spare battery for $100 and save yourself $1000. If, on the other hand, you have quite a bit of carpet, or allergies are a concern, or there is a wide variety of things you’d like to vacuum, the Dyson V11 is a quality machine that will last you many years.

Purchased in March 2019 at Dyson.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Better than my last experience with a Dyson but questions pricing sanity

This review is part of the Ambassador program and my thoughts about this product are completely unbiased.

I thought I'd start off with the unboxing process. Let's just say, that I was utterly impressed by how well Dyson managed to compress all the attachments and components into such a very small footprint within the packaging. Contained within, were lots of thickened cardboard and plain white sheets of gift wrapping paper along with the instruction manual, warranty documentation separated within a large envelope. The handheld unit came charged at 35% and a full charge took approximately 4 hours. There are additional plastics contained in the packaging allowing the unit and attachments to be placed against a wall; though preferable near a reliable power source (e.g. garage).

Having discovered that the Dyson Absolute V11 is “Made in China” did not bold so well in terms of overall quality, construction and especially reliability. This is just my personal view and experience on this. Yes, I know many things are “Made in China” nowadays; as they are well known for clothing and textiles where they excel second to none, except electronics is a different story.

The main handheld especially the plastic parts does not inform the user or potential buyer that it is a quality product. Instead, it feels like a toy, in this case, a very expensive one.

Battery Life

The battery is built into the unit, this I don’t like. As an example at hardware stores such as Bunnings where you can purchase portable power tools that use interchangeable batteries to power anything within a brand's (e.g. Ozito, Ryobi, Dewalt) offerings. Such as torches to drills to saws to lawn mowers; all of which using one interchangeable battery.

I wish Dyson had a removable battery and give users several different power battery options which ultimately can affect the weight of the unit. As it weighs 3.05 kg; for some individuals, it may be fine; however there may be other individuals who may require two hands to operate.

So making it logical to have different battery capacities, ranging from 30, 60 or up to 120 minutes; in addition to expanding Dyson's mobility range of product offerings, maybe something they should look at in the near future?

Overall battery life is a bit gimmicky when you fully charge the device, you're supposedly given up to 60 minutes of use; however as I have found with Eco (Green) mode, the time left goes beyond 60 minutes. In other modes, you get less and of course in Boost (Red) mode, you will get substantially less.

As highlighted previously in the battery section, the unit weighs 3.05 kg, if Dyson offered interchangeable battery options with different capacities, it would reduce the weight more and provide a range of flexible vacuuming arrangements for the user needs'.

As I have medium-sized hands, I wasn't able to operate the unit with one hand and neither did my partner; in order to change the settings on the top of the unit between Eco (Green), Medium (Blue) and Boost (Red) colours.

Though the attachments themselves were quite easy-to-use, it did not take too long to figure out which attachments worked the best. Although to be frank, I did have some issues when using the High Torque Cleaner (HTC) head; especially when testing in Eco (Green) mode. Especially when this head has built-in sensors that translate into converting the suction power depending on the changing surface of what you're vacuuming onto. The HTC has a red plastic slider that shifts in between positive and negative and then in the middle unpressurises the rubber seal on the head to slide across the ground easier.

This test was done with Eco (Green) mode, but have found that anything above this at times will cause dirt in the proximity of the HTC to be blown off into different directions.

The main chamber where the unit collects the dirt is supposedly easy to dispose of. Though the manual indicates that the filter can be removed and washed. The manual is not intuitive for some. Hence, anyone considering in buying or using this at some stage will need to jump onto the Internet and look for "How-to" videos.

There is an issue that must be mentioned here. The unit has a red plastic latch at the bottom when holding the unit like a firearm, where it is supposed to be intuitive enough to dispose of the dirt; but in fact, it was not. It would have been nice for Dyson to provide imprinted visual queues marked on the device as to how to dispose of the dirt?

Because frankly, how many individuals are going to be looking for the manual or jumping onto the Internet to look for instructions on how to dispose dirt from this vacuum cleaner if they forget how to do it the first time? Or worse, if someone in their household or a friend does not know how to?

A second issue which I have experienced with this is whether you end up using the HTC or the softer head, it will collect dirt. But what happens when it collects hair also? The problem requires the use of scissors as it gets tangled inside the head. It would be nice if Dyson provided a head where the user can easily dismantle and remove the tangled hair?

Noise Level

In Eco (Green) mode, the unit is very quiet but again it depends on whether your house or the environment that you're vacuuming in, absorbs noise well or instead creates echoes? Having tested this vacuum in a house with fake flooring over concrete, irrelevant to which mode you go with, the noise echoes throughout most parts of the premises.

Having tested this unit in another house with a mixture of carpet and floorboards, the noise is quiet especially in Eco and Medium modes. However, in Boost (Red) mode), it is loud. That being said, with the use of the HTC which has built-in sensors to detect what surface you're vacuuming on, it will change in between suction modes. So the noise level will change unless of course, you end up using a different head that does not have sensors built-in?

Surface(s) Vacuumed on:

As I've tested this in two different household premises as well as cars and in the garage. The surfaces consisted of kitchen and bathroom floor tiles; bedrooms with and without carpet; room and corridor skirting; on concrete (e.g. garage); and in two different SUVs (leather upholstery, carpet and rubber floor mats, and carpeted boot)

How and when the vacuum cleaner was used:

I spent almost 30 days using this unit on different surfaces and in different situations including taking it with me on holiday during the recent Easter break; where it involved the car collecting sand and other dirt. It handled the dirt collection well regardless.

The Price

Considering that this model is priced well over $1000? The sanity and rationality start to question why anyone would spend this much? So in terms of the market at present, does anything else come close for half the price or cheaper? Probably?

Dyson is well known for making "air-flow" products well. Other household brands that are not known for making battery operated vacuum cleaners have attempted to enter the same market with offerings costing half as much but whether or not they are just as effective, would require an independent review.

Final Thoughts

Depending on the use of this unit, if you’re going to be vacuuming regularly; it makes sense to have a separate vacuum cleaner for household-use only and this occasionally for difficult to reach or to vacuum surfaces such as a car or boat; or in circumstances that are external to the household.

If you're insistent on going with Dyson; it’s probably best to go with a cheaper model within the cordless V-series that has attachments such as the ones contained in the V11. You have to be mindful that since Dyson, in general, is very expensive; the attachments are also expensive as well.

Having owned a Dyson DC29 though not cordless and it did have a range of other issues like mobility. It was in-between a quarter to a third the price of this. Though Dyson's product offerings have evolved, the Absolute V11 is in my view easier to use.

The Positives:
- works well only if the user has large hands to operate the unit one-handed
- HTC is very useful. Makes little sense to use the other head provided
- A 2-year warranty - where the registration can be via QR Code or paper submission

The Negatives (there are many):
- The battery is not removable
- Takes 4 hours to charge
- Whichever head you use, it will collect hair and it's hard to remove
- Dirt capacity is only 0.76 litres, you're going to have to frequently discard your dirt
- "Made in China" - questions built quality in some areas
- More suitable as a secondary vacuum cleaner or for smaller living spaces
- The price?

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood

Convenience of a Dust-Buster with the power of a full-sized vacuum cleaner

The Dyson V11 is a cordless vacuum cleaner with a built-in rechargeable battery and half a dozen attachable heads for varying vacuuming requirements.

In evaluating the Dyson V11, the only thing I have to compare it with is our 20 year old Miele standard vacuum cleaner.

After using a vacuum cleaner that needs to be plugged into a power point for so many years, my first instinct when using the cordless Dyson V11 was, as I was rounding a corner of the hallway, to check that the cord wasn't being snagged. But of course, there was no cord. It didn't take long for me to become used to the freedom of being cordless.

I don't have a device to accurately measure the amount of suction from each, but from pure observation, the Dyson in Auto mode seems to have slightly less suction than the Miele. In Boost mode, the Dyson seems to have slightly more suction, but in Boost mode, the battery life will be reduced considerably.

There are three modes: Boost, Medium/Auto, and Eco.
Boost will give you excellent suction, but in this mode the rechargeable battery will be quickly depleted.
In Auto mode, it automatically adjusts power when moving from carpeted to hard floors, which also has a bearing on the amount of battery life you can expect.
Eco will, of course, greatly extend the battery life, but in my opinion the amount of suction in Eco mode is not sufficient for most uses.

But suction isn't the only part of the equation. The main head has built-in rotating brushes, and this seems to greatly increase the ability of the device to collect dust and grit from both carpets and hard floors.

I've been using the Dyson V11 almost exclusively in Medium/Auto mode, and have found it to be a good compromise between the amount of suction and the level of battery depletion.
For me, a fully charged battery gives me just over half an hour with a combination of carpeted, tiled and wooden flooring. I am happy with the performance on all these floor types.

Even so, I'm not sure that I could recommend it for a large five bedroom house, as I expect that the battery would be depleted before completing the cleaning of the whole house.
It would, however, excel in a smaller house or an apartment.

It is very easy to attach and detach the various heads, each one joining with a satisfyingly solid click. A single press of a button easily detaches a head or the main tube attachment.

Another plus was the complete absence of plastic packaging. The main unit and all the accessories arrived neatly packed in recyclable cardboard.

Regarding noise levels, it's not whisper quiet, but it's considerably quieter in Eco or Medium/Auto mode than our 20 year old Miele, and quieter than all other vacuum cleaners I've used. In Boost mode, the noise levels increase considerably, pretty much matching the noise level of our old Miele.

Regarding build quality, I haven't been rough with the unit, but already there are a couple of cracks in the plastic that surrounds the main unit. I don't know how these have formed.

The main unit which also houses the rechargeable battery weighs about three kilograms, which is not too bad for a short run, but anyone who is a bit frail may find it too heavy to use. Even though I am not frail, I am finding it a bit heavy after about ten minutes of continuous use.
Our old Miele is about double the weight, but the main part of the machine rolls around on the floor, so in some respects, the heavier roll-around vacuum cleaner may be easier for some to use.

It's a little awkward to carry the V11 when it's not switched on and being taken to another room. The natural place to pick it up is with the main handle, and when picking it up with the main handle, the finger naturally goes to the trigger, so it's easy to power it up when you don't intend to.

My main gripe, and the reason I gave it four stars instead of five, is that the V11 runs only while your finger is pressing a trigger on the handle. After only a few minutes of use, my finger and hand become sore from having to continuously press the trigger.

If it had a latch to keep it on without having to hold down the trigger, I would have given it five stars. It's a remarkable machine, with its strong suction, multiple attachments, the ease of attaching and detaching the different heads, the rotating brush in the main head, and the ease of emptying the collected dirt.

As I was writing this review, my wife asked me if I liked the colour. I said that I couldn't care less about the colour, but she said that she liked it. So that's a tick for the vibrant purple colour of the main tube attachment.

In summary, I've been enjoying that it's always ready to go, relatively small and agile, and has the convenience of a Dust-Buster but with all the power of a full-sized vacuum cleaner.

PROS
Conveniently ready to use at the press of a button.
No cords to worry about while in use.
Powerful suction - vacuums well.
Relatively quiet.
Multiple head attachments.

CONS
Yet another device to have on a charger.
No latch for the power trigger.
3 kg of weight to hold with the main head unit attached.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

I love this vac but the financial outlay is too great

I have to be honest - I love this machine. Having always had a corded vac, I've found the task of dragging it around onerous. It gets stuck on corners, tips over, the cord is too short or gets in the way, you have to yank it awkwardly out of the cupboard and it takes up a lot of space. With the Dyson V11, if I need to use it, I simply lift it off the cradle, and away I go. I can do the whole house, or part of the house, or just one room. There is simply no hassle. It is so simple and easy to use. I'm done with my barrel vac. I use this All. The. Time.

Observations:
- Cleaning the filter is so easy you can do it one handed.
- Cleaning skirting boards, ceiling fans, blinds and awkward spaces in the home are so much easier, although the weight of it at 3kgs means it does start feeling tiring quite quickly when using it at some angles.
- Ability to vacuum under beds, couches or in between narrow spaces due to the long flexible handle, however this is impeded by the on board attachments.
- The digital display highlighting the available run time left is handy
- Eco mode doubled the run time and I found it suitable for dusting with the soft brush attachment. Boost mode immediately sent the vacuum into shutdown mode vs. 10 minutes at Auto and 20 minutes at Eco. You'd need to use Boost at full charge to be able to get the any use out of it.
-Medium (Auto) mode gives me plenty of charge to vacuum my 4 bedroom (3 carpeted) home, with charge left over for small jobs. It's fantastic that it recognises the power needed to change between surfaces and adjusts the countdown timer accordingly.
- The bin is super easy to empty. One simple action and it's done, its fantastic!
- I'm not convinced that it's the best on hard floors. I tried both tools on our hard floor and while the delicate tool was better, I did find myself pushing around play doh, a dead fly and some seeds on seperate occasions before it eventually sucked them up. My Miele would have sucked these up in no time flat. On carpet however, there is no question this vac is excellent. Run time is generally halved on carpet but this has not been an issue in our house.
- The delicate floor tool seems hard to control and requires a slower pace which I wasn't a fan of. Relatively identical in design I don't understand why one moves precisely and the other wobbles all about the place. If I'm honest I prefer how a traditional vacuum combines the carpet and hard floor tool in one, with a nudge of your foot you flick a switch and it converts.
- I find this vac a decent decibel. I'd even call it quiet. My dog hasn't tried to attack it once yet, unlike our Miele which was constantly onguard for a random attack.
- We didn't find this effective in the car because it is too long to manouevre into narrow crevices and awkward spaces. Fine if you want to vacuum the seats, floors or the boot, but under seats or in nooks and crannies and you're outta luck. A traditional vac with bendy hose is better for this.
- There's not enough storage for all the attachments, so I constantly have 2 attachments floating around yet to find a home. The onboard attachment holder is fantastic as you can use it for your most commonly used tools, and there's space on the cradle for 2 more attachments. All in all, Dyson finding a way to combine tools rather than have so many would be better. There's too many.
- Our laundry set up means I can't have the V11 plugged into the charger when in the cradle, but this isn't a big problem for me particularly because the digital display tells me how much charge is left.
- I was convinced that holding down the trigger constantly would be a pain, but the trigger hold seems to be in such a natural and intuitive position that I actually don't notice it

Having used this regularly for a few weeks, on a variety of different areas in my house I love the ease with which I can just pick up this vacuum cleaner and vacuum. As a family with children it's a rarity that the whole house is tidy enough to vacuum in one go. Dyson have nailed it for the time poor and the vacuum averse, so for me this is a huge win for the V11, however given that Dyson have a range of vacs with the same design, my question is - Is it really worth $800 more than the cheapest Dyson on the market, the V7, currently on sale at Big W for $399 (at time of review April 2019)? For the additional $800 you get an extra 0.2 litre bin capacity, 20 mins or so run time, 700g in weight, a countdown timer and a more powerful motor.

In summary I would say that if you can afford the financial outlay then you'd be getting some additional and convenient benefits on top of the previous models, however if money is an issue then it would be a better compromise to go for a more affordable model as you still get the benefit of the awesome design.

Image 1 - the handy digital display
Image 2 - about 5 days worth of dust collected from just one bedroom. This bedroom (carpet) was also steam cleaned the week prior. So much dust and pet hair in such a short timeframe.

This is the best Vacuum Cleaner I have ever used by far

I received this item as part of the ambassador program, however this review, as with all my reviews are my opinions based on my experience with the product and is independent and objective.

V11 at a Glance:
• Length: ~120cm
• Weight: ~3 kilos
• Cleaning Heads: 2 - Torque Drive and Hard Floor Attachment
• Attachments: 5- additional cleaning attachments
• Digital Screen Battery and Mode Indicator

Pros:
• Long battery life
• Very powerful suction, rivalling my Dyson corded vacuum cleaner
• Digital screen – I first thought this was a gimmick but it gives you a lot of helpful information
• Torque Drive cleaning head cleans everything really well
• Adaptive cleaner head detects the kind of floor (carpet or tile) and adjusts suction accordingly.

Cons:
• Weight: At 3 kilos, someone of a slighter build might struggle with use for over 30 minutes at a time. The heavier weight is to accommodate the more powerful motor and longer battery life.
• Price: At $1000+ let’s not beat around the bush- this is an expensive piece of equipment. But it is worth it in my opinion.

My Opinion:
I have used a number of vacuum cleaners over the years, the most recent ones being the Dyson V8 and the older Dyson corded floor models.
When I was invited to participate in this trial for the V11, I wasn’t sure Dyson could make any meaningful improvements to the V8 as I thought that the V8 was the best thing ever and recommended it to all my friends. The ease of use, efficiency, battery life, suction all work well for me.
The V11 looks a lot more space age and robust than the older V8. Straight out of the box you will notice that it is longer, heavier and a little louder than the older model I used previously. After using it for over a month, I believe Dyson has struck a fine balance with the weight, noise and size of this device to really bring out a beast of a product. Corded or not, this is without a doubt the best vacuum cleaner I have ever used!

Cleaning Heads:
The Torque Drive head picks up anything in its path and in tough corners with no problems. Dyson included a separate head for hard floors just in case, but in my experience you will never really need to use it.

Accessories Holder:
Dyson has addressed a pet peeve by including a holder for 2 accessories on the device. This saves you from having to go look for your brush attachment or crevice tool in a cupboard, mid clean as it is attached to the device. A simple but genius touch.

Digital Screen:
At first I thought this was a gimmick, but it really is helpful. It tells you what mode you are using (Eco/ high/ etc.), how much battery you have left and the expected time left to use the machine. It also tells you if say, the filter isn’t screwed on correctly or any parts aren’t quite closed.

Overall:
This thing is a beast. I question the need for anyone to use a corded vacuum cleaner now that I have used the V11. In a modest, medium sized 4 bedroom house with carpet and tile flooring and the occasional pet I cannot fault it. At full charge I get just over an hour of use.

On auto mode, the adaptive cleaner heads work out the kind of floor you are cleaning and will adjust power accordingly. This means more power for carpets and less for tile meaning more battery life overall. If you want consistently high power, you can set this up with one click on the digital display. And if you want to run in Eco mode for longer battery life, again one click will do the trick.

If you are on the lookout for a new vacuum cleaner definitely give this one a go. The V11 is miles ahead of anything I have used and is an absolute beast of a machine.