Wouldn't buy it again

My sister has an earlier model and loves it so I decided to purchase the V8. While I do find that the suction is good and you can definitely tell where you've been, particularly on tile and wood floors, I have found things that I'm not happy about.

Firstly, if you have arthritic fingers, forget it. I am not arthritic in the fingers, but I find it tiring to have to hold my finger on the button all the time in order to make the machine work. I believe an on/off switch would be much better.

I also find the machine to be quite heavy. I thought that it would be better for my back, and perhaps it is, slightly, but still too heavy for me.

Also some of the attachments are difficult to release.

Finally, the biggest bug bear of all for me is that I am unable to empty the container of dust/hair unless I do it manually by putting my fingers in and pulling the hair/dirt out. It appears that the hair/dirt congregates at one side of the container and will not fall out when I release the lever.

In summing up, I think that this vacuum cleaner is o.k. for 'in between' jobs, but I'll be going back to a corded barrel model sooner than later.

Purchased in February 2018.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Great machine and easy to use

I was disappointed when the battery died 2 weeks out of warranty. I took it to Godfreys to be repaired and was told by the gentleman that the batteries in these machines could not be replaced so I rang Dyson and was told that this was not correct. The lady there sent me a new battery no charge. I can certainly recommend their after sales service

Purchased in March 2017 at The Good Guys Physical store for $850.00.

Love my Dyson!

I love this piece of machinery. I use it so many times a day. It’s so handy and has strong suction. Easy to clean. Recharges well. I use it on all surfaces.

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys for $599.00.

Great idea, poor execution

These machines have such a terrible battery life! With the price point they are at it has been nothing short of totally disappointing, I’ll never purchase Dyson again - what a waste of money!

Purchased in January 2018 for $1,000.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Dyson V8 Absolute. Just to confirm, the V8 has two modes of suction; Max and high power. With the motorised head attached the machine will provide 25-30 minutes on high power mode. Without using a motorised tool it can run up to 40 minutes on high power mode. On Max mode, the machine will run for 7 minutes regardless of the tool in use. If your machine is not achieving these run times, please email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and our Dyson Experts will be happy to help.

Great Vac

We use this mostly on timber floors and carpet in the bedrooms - it lasts about 15min on high power or 20mins on lower
Works perfectly just wished I had a powerpoint in the cupboard!!!

Purchased in February 2019 at Kogan.com for $551.00.

I love vacuuming now

This vacuum is brilliant. I vacuumed with my old vacuum then straight away used the dyson. The amount of dirt, dust and dog hair the dyson picked up that my old vacuum didnt suck up was a big surprise. I love that you dont have to lug around a big vacuum that bangs in to walls and gets stuck on furniture. The cordless stick design makes vacuuming so easy!

Purchased in June 2017 at JB Hi-Fi.

Great vacuum

Very easy to use. Sits in the middle of my living room and I use it whenever there’s anything on the floor. So much better than the big wired one I used to have

Purchased in December 2018 at Costco for $700.00.

Floor Type Wood

Dyson - says it all

Absolutely gets the job done, great for animal hair and great suction! Amazing for a huge tiled house. Happy to say I own a Dyson vacuum. Definitely worth the money!

Purchased in March 2019.

Floor Type Tiles

Great buy for long term use

We use it on carpet, tiling and vinyl flooring. It has great suction and cleans thoroughly. Very powerful. Read instructions before using them on vinyl. The power suction changes as soon as you change surfaces. Carpet cleaning is super easy.

Purchased in April 2018 at JB Hi-Fi for $750.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles

Super easy to use

My sister was pregnant last year and I bought this for her last year as a gift! I often borrowed it from her to clean my house and it is really convenient and easy to use! Although it’s a bit expensive but i think it’s still worth!
Would recommend it!

Purchased in May 2018 at JB Hi-Fi.

Love it

I enjoy cleaning now that I have this amazing vacuum cleaner. It’s just so easy to use and the battery last for up to 40 minutes. I use it on the carpet, hard floors, furniture and on the walls Thank you Dyson

Purchased in January 2019 at Harvey Norman for $549.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Best purchase! Never using a wire vacuum again.

I use Dyson for my house of 5 bedrooms, living room, dining, kitchen, setting area, and outside sitting area with 1 full charge. I put it on low and perfect.

Purchased in January 2019.

Floor Type Tiles and Wood

I just love this product bought last year from Myer. It woth spending money on it . Very handy. I m very impressed with changing. Once you charge it runs for 30 to 40 mins which is more then enough time to clean the entire house. Very easy to clean the bin of vacuum as well. We don’t have any pet animals but still bought this because our own hair keep falling everywhere in the house and sometimes it sticks to the floor u don’t even notice but this vacuum cleaner does the job perfectly.really love this product.

Purchased in December 2018 at Myer Retail Stores for $799.00.

Floor Type Wood

Appalling Customer Service and Product

We purchased this item back in January 2017, and had nothing but issues with the battery. cutting out and getting so hot. We received a replacement battery in May 2018, after a few back and forth emails with Dyson customer care, unfortunately the battery has again failed, i.e. it will work for a few minutes before cutting out completely. I contacted Dyson customer care, and have now been told this is a consumable item and they have requested $85 replacement fee. For a product so widely sold, surely the battery should last longer than 12 months? What sort of testing is carried out on this product? Are you only meant to use once per week?
anyway suffice to say, I will steer well clear of Dyson products in the future.

Purchased in January 2017 for $699.00.

Cleaning is a breeze!

Love this vacuum - recharges really quickly and does the job effortlessly. Had an issue with it going on and off - rang Dyson and fixed the problem over the phone it was just something caught in the flap area and it fixed the problem. Dyson are also great to deal with. 5/5 - would definitely buy another v8.

Purchased in January 2018 at The Good Guys for $749.00.

Disappointed!

Very handy vacuum because it’s cordless. Doesn’t lift the carpet pile and instead flattens the carpet. I had to buy another filter because it keeps clogging and can’t be used until completely dry again. I also find it difficult at times to release the parts. Did not live up to my expectations unfortunately but still a reasonable vacuum, just not great.

Purchased in June 2018 at Harvey Norman.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Hi Gail, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson. I am sorry to hear the Dyson V8 didn't meet your expectations. We wouldn't expect you to experience the machine flattening your carpet pile or having parts that are hard to release. We would encourage reaching out to one of our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to help.

How did I live without it!

Love this product as I don't need to find a power point. It is lightweight and easy to charge. It has changed my whole vacuuming habits as I don't need to vacuum the whole house in one hit.
I also love the V8 as it has the wooden floor attachment which is soft and fluffy and doesn't hurt my floors.

Purchased in October 2018 at Harvey Norman for $797.00.

BATTERY LIFE POOR

The vacuum stick is wonderful for my back. This is the reason why I purchased the product.

My appliance is 20 months old. For the past 5 months the battery has been losing power. I have ordered replacement courtesy of Dyson. My invoice indicates the cost is $85. I only use HIGH power because if I use MAX power the battery only lasts 4-5 minutes.

The vacuum has started to become quite loose at connection points and the shaft wobbles.

I was informed by Dyson that each battery is different depending on where the charger is positioned installed/placement of stick, weather conditions ie heat/cold and the unit should be used every day (I vacuum tiles one day then carpet following day. She advised that the battery is a consumable, just like a camera, car or phone. I was disappointed with this response as it appeared that the poor consumer was to blame, yet again, for things going wrong with the unit.

I would expect such an expensive vacuum to last a lot longer. It is hard to justify a new battery every 15 months.

Purchased in July 2017.

Good while it lasts

We have two large dogs that shed a lot of fur and as a first time stick vacuum user, it has been great. Initially the vacuum worked well on both hard floors and carpet, picking up dirt left behind by my corded vacuum. But over the past few months the vacuum has started to become quite loose at connection points, it's as though the head is too heavy for the unit to support. The shaft wobbles around, the plastic near the handle is gapping and to top it off the motor head has broken at the hinge. The vacuum has never been misused or dropped. I would expect such an expensive vacuum to last a lot longer. It is hard to justify a new $1000 vacuum every couple of years, durability just isn't there.

Purchased in August 2016.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles
Hi Brendan, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine. We are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your machine. While the joints of the machine are engineered to have a small tollerence, the images are not expected. We would kindly ask you to get in touch with our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to assist.UPDATE: Dyson's solution to the above durability issues was for me to purchase a new wand and motorhead at a cost of $175. No thanks. I'll be purchasing a different brand instead.

Good product

Good run out model deal. Is great for picking up animal hair. Ease of use has me vacuuming every day now. Only criticism is the colour on the stick scraped off in 2 seconds flat under the divan.

Purchased in January 2019.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood

Hi, i just bought dyson v8 recently. However without read the manual, i wash all the parts except the motor and batery part. Then i’ve realized that, i should not wash the metal part. So, what will happen to my dyson v8?will it broken?please help me..i don’t know what to do
Contact Dyson...obviouslySorry to hear about this, for best assistance we would encourage you to get in touch with our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com who will be able to assess the situation and assist.

My dysentery v8 animal is on charge when not in use but when using it it cuts out after 3/4 minutes and if I plug back in for a second it will go again what can I do?
The battery needs replacement. Many people on this forum have the same issue. I have to change mine every 15 months or so. And it's not covered by warranty.Thank youSorry to hear you are experiencing a short run time with your Dyson V8. We would encourage getting in touch with our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com. We will be more than happy to confirm the diagnosis on the machine and further assist.

Is there a video to show how to replace the v8 soleplate? I release the side of the fluffy head using a coin, remove the four sole plate screws, but the sole plate still appears fixed on one side and can’t be lifted off.
Hi Jo, Thank you for your query. Apart from the Soft Rollers and the end caps, the rest of the Soft Roller cleaner head isn't designed to come apart for routine maintenance. If something is not quite right with this machine part we would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be only happy to help further.Thank you.

V8 Absolute PlusV8 AbsoluteV8 Animal
Power SourceBatteryBatteryBattery
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts) 115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016