Dyson V8

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now
Buying Guide Banner

Pros

• Lightweight build

• Easy to use

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (165) · No (111)
  • Battery Life

CountryLass

CountryLassSouth East Queensland, QLD

DO NOT buy this Dyson stick vacuum!

I bought the Dyson V8 Absolute + in late 2017 and have just had to order my third battery. The quality is terrible and for a battery to last so little time is shocking. Dyson service is absolutely no help whatsoever. I will never buy another Dyson product again.

Purchased in October 2017 at The Good Guys for $850.00.

Was good but now battery only lasts less then 8 minutes and soft head faulty

This has started to die after only 8 minutes of use and soft roller head stopped working so I need to use the direct drive head on my wooden floors for $900 I expected a bit more..
Very unimpressed!!

Purchased in January 2020 for $900.00.

Beema41

Beema41South-Eastern Region, NSW

Cracked body. Weak construction.

The body of this vacuum is weak and will crack over time. No help from Dyson. $120 for a new part. It is a shame as the machine works well, just unsafe with this crack.

Purchased in February 2016.

Val.Emma

Val.EmmaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Very Disappointed....

Purchased at David Jones Retail Stores.

elleblitz

elleblitzAU

Wish the battery was a longer lasting

Wish the battery was a little longer lasting. The suction is fantastic though and it is a very convenient design to have it hanging on a wall in my kitchen

Works well until the battery started to die after a year

Purchased in November 2018 at Bing Lee Online store.

Chappo

ChappoSydney, NSW

Battery Life? 2 years and 4 months

Purchased in November 2018 at Myer for $597.00.

Jeff C - Australia

Jeff C - AustraliaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Battery life very poor and a "very dumb" battery charger

Purchased in June 2019 at JB Hi-Fi Online Store for $699.00.

Sev

SevBrisbane

Very bad design fault, Dyson Australia refused to help

Purchased in March 2018 at The Good Guys for $698.00.

JAMES P

JAMES PGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Battery life shocking from new told to run on low speed - not acceptable

Battery life is not acceptable at all, when speaking to customer service when unit was new I was advised not to use it on High as this will drain the battery faster, however on slow speed it does not clean as well especially on carpet with dog hairs this means it is not fit for purpose.
Unit is just out of warranty and battery lasts a total of 1.5 minutes and Dyson will not consider a warranty or goodwill on battery even though I had issues from the start and especially when family members purchased same units same day and they have experienced same issues, however Dyson replaced their batteries.
Would never buy a Dyson battery operated device again never had an issue with Electrolux in the past and their customer service.

If there was zero stars....

The product arrived and the container was dirty, as if it was already used by someone.
I called dyson immediately and received an apology. I returned this product and five months later I am still waiting for my money!!!
Five months of waiting, checking my account, and speaking with Dyson customer service who aparently can't do anything but pass on a message!!!!
To say this has been a disappointing and frustrating experience would be an understatement!!!!

Purchased in October 2020.

Jean

JeanSydney, NSW

The best investment ever

Having children and pets this Dyson is easily my favourite home appliance. My floors are mostly hardwood with some carpet areas. Cordless and super powered, it's a dream to use! Dyson for life.

Purchased at Myer.

Manaaki H.

Manaaki H.South East Queensland, QLD

Very efficient without cord but battery is a major let down over time

Purchased in January 2017 at JB Hi-Fi for $599.00.

AMAN

AMANSydney

Use it just about everyday

I use everyday to do a quick vacuum on tiles and loop carpet but wouldn't recommend as my only vacuum, as getting in to small areas such as window sills is quicker with my miele vacuum and battery doesn't last long enough to vacuum the whole house properly, but great for a quick tidy up.
Marked down 1 star cause you have to hold the the power button on continuously and at times get a blister on my finger from it.

Poor battery life

We have had our Dyson for 18 months. The battery now dies while vacuuming after about five minutes, this is on wooden floors.
I have been meticulous in cleaning the filters, and also charging the battery.
We will not be purchasing another Dyson.

Purchased in October 2019 for $700.00.

Dan

DanSouth East Queensland, QLD

Best product with best service from Dyson

This cleaner is a perfect product. Most importantly, Dyson's service team are very great and friendly. I high recommend this product to every one. Great quality with percent post-purchasing service.

Purchased in December 2018 at Harvey Norman for $699.00.

Lanam N.

Lanam N.

Misleading advertising regarding their vacuums

5 months after I brought my V8 vacuum it started turning off after only using it for 5 minutes despite it being completely charged. The Kmart vacuum my room mate brought is more powerful than my Dyson vacuum. I did not end up
Returning it because I lost my receipt and warranty form and decided to just use my room mate vacuum. This brand is not worth the price.

DysonDyson

Poor battery life and one year battery warranty

Works well however battery stopped charging after 2yrs10 months. Dyson said I hadn’t ‘looked after’ the battery properly..all I have done is vacuum. New battery only has 1 year warranty. Should be better for $800

Purchased for $800.00.

sarahss

sarahss

Cannot live without it!

Its amazing, so easy to use and remove all the dirt at the end of the vacuum. Vacuums up everything on my timber floors as well as carpet. I cannot live without it. Worth every penny.

Faulty

My Dyson only 5 months old and it’s faulty with not being able to open dust bin to empty it. Sent emails with no help then rang to be told I must send back and will be weeks to get it back

Purchased in July 2020 at Harvey Norman for $800.00.

Pam

Pam asked

V8 Absolute

I have a Dyson v8 Motörhead in my winter home. I’m leaving for 6 months. Should I leave it plugged in or not?

DysonDyson

To maximise battery health, We would encourage fully charging the machine and unplugging it while not in use. Upon your return, charge your machine fully prior to first use.

If we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are happy to help. Please don't hesitate to get in touch. Our contact details can be found here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Pauline N.

Pauline N.asked

V8

Why does my v8 dyson hoover battery die when on max power

Reviewer R.

Why avoid contacting them directly as per your manual?

DysonDyson

So we can best assist, we would encourage running through the troubleshooting outlined here: https://support.dyson.com.au/supportHome.aspx/Vacuums/Cordless/Dyson-V8-/164527-01/troubleshooting-176414/machine-cutting-out

This should help, however if we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are available via phone, Facebook Messenger and live chat to help. You can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Trevorasked

V8 Absolute

I have a second battery available. Is there a way to charge it so I can use it immediately when the first battery runs out

Have it fully charged

wow. took 2 weeks to NOT answer the question

DysonDyson

Apologies for the delay, unfortunately, we aren't notified for every query on this site. For assistance, our Dyson Experts are available directly via live chat, Facebook Messenger or phone with our contact details available here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

In regards to your query, if you have a second battery, this will be able to be charged directly from a second charging cord, while not connected to the machine. That being said, as the V8 range of machines have screw fitted batteries, we don't recommend swapping these unless the battery has reached the end of its useful life.

If we can assist further, please just get in touch with our Dyson Experts, we are happy to help.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson V8

As of December 2020, the Dyson V8 is the highest-rated cordless and stick vacuum cleaner on ProductReview. As well as being the highest rated, the V8 is also more afordable than other Dyson cordless and stick vacuum cleaners - such as the V11, which is around $300 more expensive.

Features:

• The V8 series includes 4 different vacuum cleaners, with a $100 difference in price
  • Two power options: Max Mode for extra power, which is good for tough clumps of dirt or pet hair; and Powerful Mode, which allows for longer usage, but may provide a slighlty weaker suction
  • A 5-hour charge provides up to 40 minutes of use

Points of praise:

• Some reviewers purchased the Dyson V8 after owning the V6 and reported noticing an improvement. Although they didn’t claim to be unhappy with the V6, many said that the V8 was more powerful and picked up a larger quantity of dirt and dust.
  • The highest power setting (Max Mode) latest longer than expected. One reviewer was pleased that they could vacuum their whole apartment while still having plenty of battery life left.
  • The vacuum was lightweight and easy to manoeuvre, meaning that people could clean hard-to-reach crevices and corners of the house.
  • Three large, shedding dogs proved to be no match for this vacuum cleaner. A happy reviewer mentioned that they could finally remove the mess their dogs had left behind.
Compare all 4 Dyson V8

4.4
Dyson V8 Animal

Dyson V8 Animal

4.2
CategoryStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
Price (RRP) $799.00$699.00$799.00$749.00
TypeCordlessCordlessCordlessCordless
Charging Time5 hours5 hours5 hours5 hours
Running Time 40 min40 min40 min40 min
Suction (Air Watts)115 AW115 AW115 AW115 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateAug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016Aug 2016