Dyson V8
4.4 from 1,250 reviews

Vacuum Cleaners Buying Guide

• Product is used
    • Several times a week (76)
    • Daily (69)
    • Weekly (36)
    • Monthly (2)
  • Pet OwnerYes (107) · No (73)
  • Battery Life

Really unimpressed with their warranty and lifespan

Purchased in November 2017 at The Good Guys for $688.00.

Cosgrove

CosgroveGreater Melbourne (Outer), VIC

I expected better for $600

Purchased in February 2020 at Dyson for $597.00.

Extremely POOR battery life

Having used my Dyson V8 Absolute Plus for about 18 months I began noticing the battery draining more and more rapidly until the point it it lasted only ~90 seconds on the max power setting. The battery also took over 5 hours to fully recharge at this point - making the vacuum virtually useless. At this point I contacted Dyson who told me that it was NOT ABNORMAL for batteries to only last this long and I would need to purchase a new battery for $110. The vacuum and battery have always been used according to the manufacturer's guidelines and cared for well. Having paid $800 for the vacuum it is an absolute ripoff to be forced to buy another battery. Please be aware there are equivalent vacuums in the market now offering much better value.

Purchased in November 2017 at Myer for $800.00.

Simon M.

Simon M.Sydney, NSW

Unfortunately they don’t mention the extra costs

Unfortunately you have to cost in an extra $50 per year to get a new battery every 2 yrs as it will die.
Otherwise a fine vacuum. This is with daily use in a 3 bed house.
Would not recommend anymore after only buying latest because the battery on the old one died.

Purchased in September 2017.

Floor Type Carpet and Linoleum
Jase

JaseFar North Queensland, QLD

Awesome unit (we have a ragdoll )

This vac has it all.
I have a ragdoll pussi and when we bought him I said I'm going to get a Dyson.
It's the best bloody thing I ever bought for the house. Fan atachment is the ducks nuts with its bending upside down brush thingie.
Had battery issues as in not lasting but called Dyson and they sent another one free of charge and one of the ends cracked they sent another one all free and fast post then the handle cracked and called them up and they sent another no questions and free of charge.
There waranty service is bloody Awesome and it's the best vacuum cleaner ever.

Purchased at The Good Guys for $999.00.

Brian B.

Brian B.Gembrook

Best vac I have owned & I have had plenty.

I purchased the Dyson V8 Absolute as being able to afford the latest model was prohibitive. I am surprised to read negative reviews. It is a little ripper, vacuuming prior was a chore but now myself & my hubby have a little scuffle over who is going to play with the new toy. 4 & a half stars. My only negative is it not having an on/off switch, does become a little uncomfortable having to hold the lever down after a while. As good as it is this could prove difficult for the elderly.

Purchased in March 2020 for $550.00.

lulu65

lulu65AU

Got rid of my broom!

Having had a dyson ball for over 16 years it was SO hard to convince myself to go cordless.

What a game changer!

Some drawbacks like not being able to use space saver bags because of the fitting. Not strong enough to clean the car unless on max setting which only lasts 5 minutes.

Light and powerful enough. It's now my electric broom!

Very happy to make the change.

Purchased in January 2019 at Dyson for $799.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles
charlie k.

charlie k.South East Queensland, QLD

Well worth the money spent

I have had my V8 for three years and it has never given me any issues. The battery power is excellent and it has never run out on me. I vacuum a three bedroom home with carpet upstairs and tiles downstairs and it has never failed me.
I have the car kit too and I use the flexible attachment to vacuum my stairs which makes like easier.
I use it to dust my floor skirting and to get rid of cobwebs in the high reaches.
It is an excellent product and I highly recommend it.
Treat yourself. You won’t be sorry.

Purchased in October 2017 at RT Edwards.

Melsmith1

Melsmith1Perth, WA

Love this Dyson!

Purchased in June 2019 at Catch for $490.00.

DISAPPOINTEDMid North Coast, NSW

Battery usage time short when new.

We bought the Dyson V8 from Harvey Norman because of the advertised 20 minutes operation time with full suction.The sales person insisted it lasts at least twice as long as our V6 (which is about 9 minutes)
It never lasted more than the V6 when brand new and we were very disappointed from the beginning.
Now after 18 Months the Battery lasts less than 3 minutes which is not good enough for a price tag of $800. We have (in total) 4 Dyson Appliances 2 Mains power and 2 battery powered.
Now we are Disappointed Dyson customers and doubt that we fall for the sales hype again.

Purchased in September 2018 at Harvey Norman for $799.00.

Floor Type Tiles
beverley

beverley

Hopeless on hard floors with animal hair

I was sold this model by Dyson when I could no longer get my Animal Barrel repaired (they stop making the parts).
Although it manoeuvres well and is good on wool rugs, the performance on hard
wood floors is very unsatisfactory. I have three dogs, the original Dyson Animal was fantastic, it had a pet brush but this cannot be used on any of the three models I now have.
I wont be buying another, Mr Dyson, your all hype, your products have built in redundancy 8 years and parts no longer available! Your manufacturing does not consider sustainability, with each new model all the attachments have to be
thrown out what a waste of resources.

Purchased in February 2019 at Dyson for $524.00.

Sue W

Sue WSydney, NSW

Disappointing

Purchased in October 2016 for $840.00.

Product is used Monthly
Floor Type Wood
Lara

LaraGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Handy but battery life is short

The design is great. And I am glad the re-positioned the vents (in older models the wind was blowing right into your face) . I love the the cord free idea of this machine , however after a 1 year of use the battery seem to last shorter and shorter .

Purchased in January 2019 at Kogan.com for $800.00.

Floor Type Tiles and Wood
Shaun MJ

Shaun MJSouth East Queensland, QLD

Dyson plastic junk

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $800.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood

Scratches my hardwood floors even with the soft roller head

Purchased in May 2018 at Myer for $629.00.

Kim U.
Kim U.

Hi
This is not the case, the same scratching has occurred again with a second new soft roller head. I don't think both the soft roller heads are faulty.

Jen A.

Jen A.

The most reliable vacuum i’ve had

It is a very convenient vacuum and the battery lasts a long time which is good for a cordless. It’s light, its not as powerful as i hoped but still a good vacuum.

Sim

SimAustralian Capital Territory

Average

I finally formed out the money to buy Theo’s quality cordless vacuum. I was going to buy the $480 one but spent the $999 on this one and I find it average at best. Not with the $999

Purchased in March 2019 at RetraVision for $999.00.

Bradley

Bradley

I'm big fan of this vacuum

I have a small border collies in a mostly carpeted 3 bedroom home. This vacuum suits me perfectly. It's easily as powerful as a normal corded vac, but light and convenient to work with.

Has a decent-sized chamber and good array of adaptors. Battery life is great, but drains quick on the MAX setting - which is to be expected.

Only complaint I have is that once the chamber gets about 1/3 of capacity, I keep getting mild electric shocks that feel like they're coming from the charging port. It's very annoying, but I like the vacuum that much that I'd give it 5 stars anyway.

Purchased in March 2018 at Catch for $697.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Linoleum
MegaPtera

MegaPteraGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Great upgrade after my old cylinder vacuum

Makes a huge difference in terms of succion power!! I use it much more often than my old cylinder vacuum as it is so easy to pick and put away. Also a big space saver!

Purchased in November 2019 at Amazon for $491.92.

Sheralee

Sheralee

Hugh disappointment

Brought the vacuum cleaner as I heard they were amazing, well there not completely useless, after 14 months had it replaced as faulty now again 14 months and am taking it back again as it’s faulty I’m getting my money back and would not recommend this product to anyone

Purchased in April 2017 at The Good Guys.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear you are disappointed with your machine.

We are confident the retail store will be able to assist with a resolution, however if we can assist further, our Dyson Experts are available via auaskdyson@dyson.com and happy to help.

Beth M

Beth Masked

Sporatically when I plug it into charge it doesn't light up or charge. I've tried unplugging, different PowerPoint's etc.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Any ideas?

priceless21asked

I have a Dyson v8 absolute. It is just over 2 years old. The battery, although showing 3 bars after charging, only lasts 2-3 mins on normal setting. It used to last for my whole house clean but suddenly it has just stopped working. Is that a battery failure? Or is it a faulty machine. Ask because I have an extended warranty with it and if it is the battery failure I will be up for the service charge as well as the battery as it may not be covered under warranty. What is the expected lifespan of a battery? 2.3 years is terrible for such an expensive machine.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your Dyson machine.

So we can assist and discuss your concerns, we would kindly ask you to forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to help assist and diagnose your machine.

Should a replacement part be required, please be assured parts can be easily fitted at home, without the need to send your machine into service.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.

priceless21

So batteries only last 2 years and then you are up for a new battery at $109. Reading around the web they only last 3 years. They don’t tell you this when you buy one.

Nicki C.

Nicki C.asked

V8 Animal

I have had my dyson V8 animal for a year and a half. Been working up till yesterday. Just stopped even though it was fully charged. I had the big brush on it and you get nothing. Also the smaller brush. However if i use the long tool it works. Cleaned all the filters thinking it could be that but still wont work when brushes are on. Also cleaned those out too. Any idea what could be causing this. Oh and have on a couple of occasion got a hint of a burning smell. Could the motor be on it way out?

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We would encourage unplugging your machine and giving our Dyson Experts a call on 1800 239 766 with your machine prior to using it again.

Our Dyson Experts are available via our helpline on 1800 239 766 (please just have your machine handy when calling). We are open Monday - Friday 8am - 8pm and Saturday - Sunday 8:30am - 4pm AEST.

We look forward to hearing from you and getting your V8 Animal sorted.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives