Same issues across two different V6 vacuums

I've now owned two of these vacuum cleaners and they are fine initially, but develop problems. One just prior to warranty expiration and the second one, just after.

The vacuum is not usable on a max setting as the battery overheats in five seconds showing a flashing yellow light. If you go plug it into the wall again, the flashing stops and it is usable. This repeats over and over. Using it on non-max power gives it a little bit more time, but the same issue occurs eventually. The same problem has happened across two different V6 vacuum's we have owned and they are only used for spot cleaning in the kitchen or bathroom typically. A large vacuum is used for bigger cleans.

The response from Dyson has been terrible. I have been asked to spend 21% of the original purchase price, two years after it was purchased for it to continue working as expected.

Here is the email response:
"Batteries are considered a consumable item and will sometimes need to be replaced during the lifetime of a machine and this is the same for any technology that relies on a battery.

As there are many variables that can affect batteries it's almost impossible to predict exactly how long an individual battery will last in real world conditions, and this is the case with batteries from any manufacturer.

Many variables that can affect batteries include storage, charging and usage cycles, and extremes of temperature.

Batteries are $85.00 and we are available to set up a direct deposit for you. "

If you want to spend $400+ on an item that lasts 2 years or less, only to have to spend more to keep it running after a short period of time for an expensive product, Dyson is for you.

After 4 years of Dyson handheld ownership I would advise potential customers to avoid this product in the future.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

True love!!

This handheld unit is wonderful. We have a toddler and every time we vacuum, our little one invariably make a mess with something. It’s light and very powerful. Great for cleaning up messes, skirting boards, fans, the car, crevices, the lounge, and dozens of other spaces. I’m planning on taking it with us when we next go away, so I don’t have to stress about toddler damage.

Date PurchasedJan 2019

Perfect ! Loved this vacuum

My dog sheds lots of hair and this vacuum does the trick! Definitely recommend and will repurchase. My partner has really bad allergies so this helps alot. Absolutely fantastic! Cheers

Purchased .

Does what it supposed to do

Got this product second hand to tryout instead of our big heavy corded dyson. So far so good. It performs well and cleans very quickly and effortlessly. 20 minutes at max is plenty of time to vacume the areas we need. Very convenient and quality product.

Product is used: Daily
Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Great product and easy to use

Works well on tiles, wood and carpet. It is light and easy to cart around. Picks up cat hair easily and is easy to empty once full. It does fill up fairly quickly though.

Great for the first 12 months

For the first 12 months I’d have to say it was excellent. Then we ran into a few problems with the motorised brush. We contacted Dyson and they were helpful, sending out new parts on a couple of occasions at no cost. The main issue is that this took quite a bit of time - not all their fault as sometimes I had to summon the energy to call them again. After quite a few new parts it is now working perfectly so fingers crossed. I notice the updated models have a much bigger motorised brush.

Purchased at Harvey Norman Physical Store.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood

Good when the battery works

Find it a good vacuum for light duties like hard floors but it struggles with carpet. Handy and easy to use. My big issue with it is the terrible batteries. We have had ours less than 2 years and have had 2 batteries fail now. i am going to try a generic battery from eBay now to see if they are a better battery. We probably only use it 2-3 times a week for 5-10 mins a time so we’re not over working it.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi Chris, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson V6. I am sorry to hear you have had difficulty with two batteries, this is certainly not what we would expect. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details as we would be greatful to look into this and further assist. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Incredibly convenient

A really convenient vacuum, easy to clean and easy to take out and use, so it encourages you to vacuum more often. No more worrying about wires. Lifetime warranty is also a plus.

Purchased .

I can’t live without it!

I had this cordless vaccum cleaner for almost 3 years. I believe it’s the best brand in the market . It’s a life saver especially for families with kids. Light weight , easy to operate . 10 minuts of constant working if you use MAX and 20 minuets if you dont use it.

Purchased at Big W Retail Stores for $300.00.

Product is used: Daily
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Absolute back saver

Great vacuum. Great light, versatile design easy to use. Collection bin needs to be emptied quite often because of relative small size and how much gunk it's able to suck up! Quick to replace optional heads, too. Recharges fast, too. JB HiFi = $299 - V10 around $900 - I couldn't be happier with my 1/4 of the cost purchase.

Awesome vac

This vac just eats up pet hair.
Easy to use and works well on both hard flooring and carpet.
We lost ours in our house fire last May but intend to purchase another for sure. Light and easy to empty with no messy bags.
Worth buying.

Cant live without it!

Possibly the best appliance purchase made. it cleans my hardwood floors perfectly. and can then transfer to tiles, carpet and rugs its quick and easy to use. simple to clean as well. This product is game changer when you have small children who are forever making crumbs and walking in grass! thank you Dyson!

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Great vacuum

Had the product for about 3 years now and it's been great. Does the whole house and is very quick and easy to use. It does take a bit of cleaning the head every couple of weeks but if you keep on it things are always trouble free. It's been a ripper!

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Disappointing

I have used a Dyson DC25 upright cleaner since 2010 (I've reviewed it on this site) and have been very satisfied with it.
I purchased the cordless V6 in August 2017 and - to begin with - was very happy with it; It cleaned well, especially using the power boost button. I had high hopes of it replacing my corded machine. The battery life is short, but i could live with that.
Unfortunately the boost button gave up the ghost after a very short time. When switched on it works as a pulse, so must be switched off.
Also, because the on button must be held down, my hand gets quite sore.
I use it, but am conscious of the fact that it is not cleaning as efficiently as it should.
Edit: Dyson's comment, following the publication of this review, sorted out the boost button problem - the filter needed cleaning! I feel rather foolish, but the filter is tiny, and I overlooked it.
I've up-graded my review to 4 stars.
Pros: Excellent cleaning with the boost button on - and needs it, with this model
Easy to empty and clean
Cons: Poor battery life, if used with boost button
Having to hold the power leaver, hard on the hand and index finger
With these improvements, I would definitely consider purchasing a more powerful model

Purchased .

Edit - I omitted to mentionI do find it is excellent for vacuuming furniture and the car interior.Hi there, Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your machine on MAX mode, we are happy to help. A surging or pulsing noise indicates a blockage or restriction of airflow through the machine, or it may be time to wash the filter. We would recommend to run through the checks outlined on https://youtu.be/ubbGu1Man8k & https://youtu.be/jIBuj-sAd4c. Should you find the issue persists please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be more than happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

I love this vacuum so much

It's so convenient to just buzz around a room at a time I barely even use my big vacuum anymore. The suction power is amazing and is great on all floors. This one is not so good picking up big items but it's not so bad as you just bend down and pick bigger items up or sweep first.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Can't power on after less than 2 months. Bad and unresponsive customer service

Worst product ever didn't expect this from Dyson. We hardly used for a month and it stopped working and all it does is power on and off after every 2 seconds. It's been more than 3 weeks we gave for repair and it's still we don't hear anything from customer service. Terrible product and even terrible service.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi Pavan, Thank you for reviewing your machine. I am sorry to hear about this, this is certainly not what we expect. We would kindly ask you to forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com as we would value the opportunity to look into this for you. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Fantastic

I use this on Mats tiles and floor boards is so good get out so much dust and dirt and fluff it's easy to use and empty and it's so good it's fun to use I used to hate vacuming with my old barrel one Its easy to charge and mount on the wall or cuboard

January 31st 2019 Update: Soooooo good

Works on any surface socks out deep dust
It's easy to use and easy to hang
Gets all dog hair
Good value for money
It's easy to change into a hand vacume
Even my husband likes to use it
Great for cleaning the car too
Recommended for any one to use

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Rubbish

Works well for first 2 months . Short term product, as the spinning pick up just stops working, the battery turns to shit and lasts a maximum of 4 minutes , and the low power mode is useless and sucks nothing up . After complaining, got shipped the wrong part twice. Completely overpriced product with no attempt at making something that lasts more than a couple of months

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Hi Cal, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine. I am sorry to hear of your experience. This is certainly not what we would expect and would value the opportunity to look into this and assist. Please email us via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Shan

Reviews...Returning product Defective

Using V6 on Wood flooring, area rug runner. Buyer beware. You can only vacuum 15 mins every 4 hrs.. V6 has strong suction, light weight... Unfortunately it will take 2 days to vacuum your home. You spend. Four hours to charge & receive 15 mins of vacuuming. Then you have to charge it again.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Hi Julie, Thank you for your review. While I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your machine, it sounds as it is working as it should do. Your V6 should achieve a run time of 6 minutes on max, or on normal mode, a run time of 16-17 minutes with a motorised floor tool attached, or 20 minutes without. It then recharges in just 3.5 hours instead of overnight like some others. If you need a machine with a longer run time, we would encourage considering either our V8 or V10 range of cord-free machines, the V8 can provide a run time of up to 40 minutes and the V10 up to 60. If you would like to discuss further, please email questions@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to assist. Best wishes, Shan

Time consuming not time saving

My stick vacuum has the red handle. Not sure what model to call it. This vacuum can’t even suck up a fine cotton thread on carpet. It is the worst vacuum I have ever owned. It needs to be constantly cleaned and it takes up so much of my time rather than saving me time. If you have problems you can’t go to a local outlet to get it fixed. You have to send it back to Dyson. So therefore I’ve put up with its problems because solving it’s problems is too problematic. First Dyson and last Dyson I will buy

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Hi there, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson V6 Absolute. I am sorry to hear about this, this is certainly not the experience we would you to have with one of our cord-free machines. We would value the opportunity to assist. Please email your details and review to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch shortly. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Frequently Asked Questions about Dyson V6

What are the differences between each Dyson V6 model?

The primary difference are the included heads or attachments. While all Dyson V6 models contain the same power, charging time, and bin capacity, each model offers a different head to suit a particular household need. For example, the V6 Fluffy model caters for households that have hard floors by including a non-scratching soft roller head.

Why is my Dyson V6 pulsating when I try to use it?

The pulsing or stop-starting noise indicates there is a blockage somewhere in the vacuum. It may be in the head, wand, filter, or bin (including the flap connecting the wand to the bin). Clear these areas and check no moving parts have hair tangled in them.

What does the red flashing light mean on my Dyson V6?

If the red light flashes 12 or more times it indicates there is a problem with the battery, and it may require replacement. Fewer flashes may indicate a problem with the body of your machine. Contact Dyson on 1800 239 766 for more information.

Can I charge my Dyson V6 in a very cold or very hot environment?

Dyson recommends that your V6 unit is charged in an environment that is between 3°C (37°F) to 40°C (104°F). It is recommended that you unplug and wait to charge your vacuum if your room is hotter than colder than these temperatures.

Can I leave my Dyson V6 to continually charge in the charging station?

It is safe to leave the V6 to continually charge; either in the docking station, or just the charger plugged directly in, so the vacuum is always fully charged every time you use it. You cannot use the vacuum while plugged in.

Latest Consumer Questions

My V6 appears to be running only on Max for 6 mins, any idea of the problem?

My V6 total clean has no problem with battery or usage when it operates as a hand held unit but when the lance and the carpet cleaner is applied the carpet cleaner revolves intermitantley and then stops but the V6 is still working ok. If the carpet cleaner is removed off the lance and fixed directly to the V6 it works ok. Does this mean the electrical connections in the lance are not working correctly, if so how do i fix.

Dyson will not work. Pull off charging point pull trigger flashing red lights. Have pulled the battery out and checked has 8.9v. What may be the problem.
Hi Dion, Thank you for your query. Sorry to hear you are experiencing red flashing lights on your machine, this indicates a fault and we are happy to help. So we can best assist we would kindly ask you to forward your query and details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch and happy to help get this sorted. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

V6 Animal ExtraV6 SlimV6 Cord-freeV6 TriggerV6 Car+Boat ExtraV6 AbsoluteV6 FluffyV6 AnimalV6 OriginalV6 Animal OriginV6 MotorheadV6 Slim Origin
Power100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW
Price (RRP)$549$399$449$249$449$599$649$549$599$529$799$399
Cleaner HeadDirect drive cleaner head and Soft roller cleaner headNarrow Motorised cleaner headMotorised cleaner headNarrow Motorised cleaner headNone (tool attachments only)Direct drive cleaner head and Soft roller cleaner headSoft roller cleaner headMotorised cleaner headMotorised cleaner headDirect drive cleaner head and Soft roller cleaner headDirect-drive cleaner headNarrow Motorised cleaner head
Charging Time3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours
Running Time20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes
Bin Capacity0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L
HEPA Filter YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Weight2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg
Release dateApr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015

Download manual