Good for about 2 years, then dead

Worked great while it lasted for the 2 and a bit years. Then , stopped charging.
So far Dyson support isnt able to diagnose the root cause.
Perhaps the $699 investment for 2 years, wasnt great after all.
For premium products from Dyson , e.g the new $1000 + v11 , Dyson should support with a 5 year warranty

Purchased in January 2016 at David Jones Retail Stores for $699.00.

Absolute rubbish

I keep getting new batteries which are faulty. The battery keeps cutting in and out while vacuuming. I use this cleaner on vinyl and carpet it picks up well when it will work.

Purchased in June 2017.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles

Easy Vac

This Dyson Cordless Vaccum has been great to use. Has a couple of issues though. When emptying the dust carrier you need to use a utensil to remove the fluff as it becomes tangled & doesn’t want to budge. Also battery life is terrible & needs many hours charging.

Purchased in December 2017 at Costco.

Love my Dyson!

Amazing Vaccum! Was very skeptical to pay the large amount of money for a vacuum when I felt Ike my Kmart vac ‘did the job’

Was beyond amazed vacuuming with my Dyson in comparison to just a Kmart vac. The Dyson picked up a whole container of pet hair and dirt from the carpet after vacuuming with my Kmart vac.

The suction on this vaccum is so strong, it makes it a little difficult to vaccum carpets, although you know it is doing a good clean.

Battery life could definitely be better. Only lasts about 15 minutes on turbo.

The downside to this Vac is the fact you have to hold your finger down on the button the whole time and the difficulty to clean the vaccum properly.

Purchased in March 2019 at Big W Online Store for $300.00.

Worth it

Very very good suction only thing is needing to remove hair that gets caught often and not very handy with car carpets but other than that very easy to use.

Purchased in March 2016.

Worth the price

It is good. Powerful battery could last bit longer but I guess it’s enough to cover 3 rooms. I have carpet and tiles floor. Works really good on tiles. Motorhead get jammed with hair.

Purchased in January 2019 at Catch Deal for $399.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

The Only Vacuum I Would Buy Again

I bought this for a sharehouse I was living in (five people and a labrador). It was on sale and the current vacuum cleaner was practically useless. Straight out of the box this thing just works; we have a mixture of low-pile carpet and tiles, which the Dyson makes light work of. The "Max Suction" setting can actually be frightening because it's so strong. In a medium-sized house, I have never had issues with battery life and it charges without issue (I bought the earlier version of this for my parents back in 2014 and it's still going strong). I vacuum every day and it never feels like a chore. Yes, clearing the head of hairs can be annoying (but actually it's totally fine), but just as with any well-performing product, it requires basic user care. The mountable dock and attachments are a nice touch. Highly recommended.

Purchased in August 2018 at The Good Guys for $398.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles

Over priced for performance received

Feed up with having to pull the head apart after every second use to pick hair away from bearing bush points which stops the brush from spinning at speed. Parts are wearing out and have been told a replacement head is not available, not that I would buy one now as am over this product. A lot of money wasted for a little over 2 years use. Used daily to do small sections at a time until batter runs low. Battery life so far has not diminished greatly, just sick of the head maintenance which offsets the quick cordless benefit.

Purchased in January 2017 at Harvey Norman for $500.00.

Shonky Product and After Sales Experience

Purchased Dyson V6 Absolute 3/5/16 from major retailer. Upon the advice of salesperson took out Product Care as they advised to cover ourselves for battery. Battery has failed but surprise, surprise Product Care will not cover a replacement so that means I have a vacuum cleaner in excellent condition (minus battery) that I will have to toss onto landfill. Also am out of pocket for $800.00 which to a pensioner is a lot of money to waste as well as having to purchase a new vacuum cleaner. Would never ever recommend Dyson and taking out Product Care is just throwing money away.

Purchased in May 2016 for $806.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Wood

Best purchase ever

Excellent product. Does the job very well and not bulky. Bag less and easy to clean. Great to use both on rugged areas and hard timber surfaces. Highly recommended vacuum.

Purchased in May 2018.

Absolutely perfect!

We love this vacuum! We won it at a raffle and would seriously buy another one in a heartbeat if it packed up. We have had so many other (cord) vacuums and this one cleaned our carpets better than all of them combined. My parents loved it so much they went and bought the V8!

Purchased in November 2017.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Handy for those little messes

I have mostly wood floors and sisal carpets. This vacuum relies on the brush in the head rotating to pick up dust etc. Unfortunately the brush only works every now and then, even though I’ve cleaned it and done everything the manual says. The salesman told me I’d be able to use the Dyson for all my vacuuming needs, but it’s just not powerful enough to give the carpets a thorough clean. It’s great for those little messes and a mid-week clean, but you still need a proper vacuum cleaner to really get the floors clean and dust-free. It’s quite expensive for a ‘back-up’ vacuum.

Purchased in June 2016 at Harvey Norman Electronics Physical Store.

Product is used: Rarely
Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Sorry to hear you are having troubles with your brushbar spinning, we are happy to help get this sorted. If you have already removed it and cleaned it (as shown here: https://youtu.be/fdnu4yk-5vI?t=24) we would kindly ask for you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to help get this sorted for you.

One of the best vacuum cleaners I have ever purchased.

One of the best vacuum cleaners I have ever purchased. If you previously have a cheap vacuum cleaner, you should definitely try Dyson. Even though it seems pricey, it is well worth your money.

Purchased in April 2016 at Big W Retail Stores for $289.00.

not too bad

Bought this product not too long ago from Big W. Not too bad for the price I paid but the battery doesn't last long. Have to keep on charging after about 20 minutes.

Purchased in January 2019 at Big W Online Store for $300.00.

Floor Type Wood

Accessories good - battery life useless

Bought this primarily as a car vacuum cleaner based on generally being a fan of Dyson products.

Sadly for this unit, the battery life extends only to vacuuming the boot (of an SUV) and 2/3 of the rear passenger area carpet at best.

So it is not useful in any practical sense except for very small jobs of less than about 8-10 minutes running time. There is no option to run it directly off power or auxiliary power to finish the job. Recharge time far too long.

To hide the fact of this complete impracticality, Dyson do not disclose any running time or recharge time in any documentation with the product.

The only saving grace is that the accessories are interchangeable with my corded Dyson vacuum which is good, because I will always need the corded vacuum cleaner to vacuum my vehicle

I could not possibly recommend this for a practical car vacuum cleaner which is its intended purpose.

Purchased in July 2017 for $350.00.

Doesn't Charge and useless Customer Service

Having previously owned a Dyson Upright Vacuum cleaner and been very disappointed with it, my wife in her infinite wisdom, brought home the new Dyson V6 Slim.
In her defence, it was a promotional gift so we didn't pay for the thing, however the previous model barely worked because the Carbon Fibre Rollers jam up at the mere sight of a hair.

Despite this, I kind of hoped that Dyson might have addressed this in the new V6 Model, so went to work attaching the bracket to the wall. With it attached to the wall, I left it for a couple of days to charge and then gave it a test run.
For a couple of minutes it worked fine and the roller didn't clog up once. Much better than the previous model had ever done, even from when it was new too.
However, my joy was short lived as the battery dies and little blue light flashed pathetically at me.
I put it back on charge and came back the next day. Alas, it hadn't charged and the little blue light pathetically flashed to tell me so.
I checked the plug and the connection, fiddling around with it trying to make sure it connected properly, but still nothing. No charge light, no nothing.

Clearly something was very wrong, so I tried to call the Customer Support line. At that point it became pretty obvious that Dyson either get lots of Customer Support calls or only employe a little old lady on King Island to take all their customer support calls. The wait time was horrendous. I went to the Dyson website and registered and even their website says that their Customer support line experiences long wait times.
Maybe Dyson's board of directors could consider taking on another staff member to reduce the call queue?

Anyway, all and all, once again I have a Dyson that does not work and unless I am willing to site on the phone all day, I am unlikely to ever experience one that actually works.

Purchased in February 2019.

Product is used: Rarely
Floor Type Wood
Thank you for reviewing your machine. We are sorry to hear of your experience. We have had an greater influx of calls to our customer care team than normal which has lead to longer than normal wait times. We do apologise for any inconvenience while we work to bring these back to normal. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details and the serial number of your machine. Our Dyson Experts will be in touch and only happy to help get this sorted.

Dont waste your money

Had mine for 15 months and battery died 1st time and now the motor has failed Dyson isn't what it used to be. My advice avoid dyson poor quality these days

Purchased in January 2018 for $398.00.

Floor Type Tiles
Hi there, Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, in spite of spending millions of dollars and countless hours each year testing, researching and developing our technology, sometimes one off failures in the field can occur and I am sorry to hear this has happened to you, but we are happy to help get this sorted. We would kindly ask you to email your details through to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to help get this sorted for you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Loved this - until it stopped working

This Vacuum was great for 4 months - then died. Luckily I was able to return it to Catch of the Day where it was purchased and got a full refund.

Purchased in October 2018 at Catch for $399.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Linoleum
Hi Shirley, Thank you for taking the time to review your Dyson V6. We are sorry to hear your machine isn't working as it should, however pleased to hear the retailer was able to give you a resolution. If we can be of any service we are happy to help and available via auaskdyson@dyson.com

Was a cynic when hubby bought it, but love it now!

So handy having a powerful little vac that you can grab for any of those little messes that the little ones or pets make! So good for the stairs as well. We have a ducted vacuum in our house and I haven't used it once since we got the dyson! My only whinge is that it doesn't last forever and takes ages to charge back up again, but I guess you just have to do little vacuum sessions more frequently.

Purchased in October 2017.

Pet OwnerYes

Battery dies, support promptly sent a replacement

When it worked it worked great, then the battery died so I called support and they talked me through finding the serial number and then sent me a replacement free-of-charge. Impressed.

Purchased in April 2018.

Frequently Asked Questions about Dyson V6

What are the differences between each Dyson V6 model?

The primary difference are the included heads or attachments. While all Dyson V6 models contain the same power, charging time, and bin capacity, each model offers a different head to suit a particular household need. For example, the V6 Fluffy model caters for households that have hard floors by including a non-scratching soft roller head.

Why is my Dyson V6 pulsating when I try to use it?

The pulsing or stop-starting noise indicates there is a blockage somewhere in the vacuum. It may be in the head, wand, filter, or bin (including the flap connecting the wand to the bin). Clear these areas and check no moving parts have hair tangled in them.

What does the red flashing light mean on my Dyson V6?

If the red light flashes 12 or more times it indicates there is a problem with the battery, and it may require replacement. Fewer flashes may indicate a problem with the body of your machine. Contact Dyson on 1800 239 766 for more information.

Can I charge my Dyson V6 in a very cold or very hot environment?

Dyson recommends that your V6 unit is charged in an environment that is between 3°C (37°F) to 40°C (104°F). It is recommended that you unplug and wait to charge your vacuum if your room is hotter than colder than these temperatures.

Can I leave my Dyson V6 to continually charge in the charging station?

It is safe to leave the V6 to continually charge; either in the docking station, or just the charger plugged directly in, so the vacuum is always fully charged every time you use it. You cannot use the vacuum while plugged in.

Latest Consumer Questions

Is the bin empty. Same or similar to the V8 Absolute?
No, they’re different. The V6 has a “push down” to release thing whereas the V8 has a “pull up” to open the hatch. You may need to jiggle the V6 if the bin is particular full (the V8 mechanism works better in this regard), but the “push down” release feels a lot sturdier than the newer “pull up” one.The bin emptying mechanism is different on the V6 and the V8. The V7 machines feature our new bin emptying mechanism which hygienically drives out dust and debris. You can see how to empty the V6 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWG-AgswpQo and the V8 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXJppqsD6cQ If we can assist further, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to help.

Does the unit have to be wall mounted as I live in a rental??
Yes .i have mounted it my self very easyNo, you can plug the charging cable straight into the port on the body of the unit itself. You don't have to use the mount at all to charge - it's mainly for storage convenience and it looks kinda cool.Many thanks

My Dyson V6 Fluffy stops after about 10 seconds and refuses to work until its put back on charge for a couple of minutes, after this short pause it will work fine for about 15 minutes. (The machine has been thoroughly cleaned prior to use) Can anyone help please?
YesSorry to hear you are having trouble with your Dyson V6 Fluffy, we are happy to help. Please forward your details to our Dyson Experts via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch to get your machine running as it should. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting.

V6 Animal ExtraV6 Cord-freeV6 TriggerV6 AbsoluteV6 Animal OriginV6 SlimV6 Car+Boat ExtraV6 FluffyV6 MotorheadV6 AnimalV6 OriginalV6 Slim Origin
Price (RRP) $399.00$449.00$249.00$599.00$529.00$399.00$549.99
Bin Capacity0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L
HEPA FilterYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Weight2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg
Power SourceBatteryBatteryBatteryBatteryBatteryBatteryBatteryBatteryBatteryBatteryBatteryBattery
Charging Time3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours
Running Time 20 min20 min20 min20 min20 min20 min20 min20 min20 min20 min20 min20 min
Suction (Air Watts) 100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateApr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015

Download manual