Dyson V6
4.2 from 2,760 reviews

Vacuum Cleaners Buying Guide

Dyson V6 In-Depth Review

ProductReview.com.au's selected consumer review.

• Product is used:
    • Daily (109)
    • Several times a week (103)
    • Weekly (43)
    • Rarely (7)
    • Monthly (3)
  • Pet OwnerYes (143) · No (117)
  • Battery Life

Lenchik

LenchikBrisbane

Great vac but few faults

Had this vac for 7years, have been very good to it so battery is still great. Unfortunately some attachments kept falling out so had to tape them and the rubbish container opens randomly so all falls all over the floor. I think they changed it in the new model. For the convenience of the cordless vac that sucks well I will buy the new version soon.

Purchased in March 2013 at The Good Guys for $600.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Lisa2020

Lisa2020

No longer charging

I've been so happy with my Dyson - it really has made my cleaning routine quicker and easier. But now it does not charge anymore :( When I plug it in - the blue light comes on and then turns off after a few minutes, but when I try to vacuum it stops after 3-5 seconds...

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood
My opinion matters.

My opinion matters.Brisbane

Superb service

We have a Dyson V6 since December 2017 as a back up cleaner. So it is out of warranty 1 year 2 months today exactly. I contacted Dyson as the red light is flashing. They asked me to do some checks to determine the problem. A new battery is required, which they are sending free of charge as a one off gesture. Now this superb service is polar opposite to another experience we had recently with another company here in Australia. Thank you Dyson. We are most impressed.

Purchased in December 2017.

Floor Type Tiles and Wood
canonstandish

canonstandishBrisbane

Superb After Sales Service

I’ve had my animal for around six years so feel qualified to write the review. I have a cockatiel parrot which throws seed around ad nauseum, and a very hairy golden retriever so use this machine every day. After four years the battery needed replacing. Around two years later it needed replacing again. I was gobsmacked that it was just within the warranty period, Dyson has all the records so no searching around for receipts. Fabulous service. When it stopped working, I reviewed the cordless LG, but when I read about about poor after sales service I changed my mind. Now I don’t need a new machine which I absolutely rely on, but when I do, it’ll be Dyson again for me.

Purchased in June 2013 at The Good Guys.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Gabi K.

Gabi K.South East Queensland, QLD

Good or Bad?

Powerful motor and suction performance on smooth flooring, nimble design, lightweight and easy to use. However, on carpets the brush fails to spin and therefore does not pick up dirt. With poor battery performance, I have to vacuum my small double story down house over two days for a fair clean. Finally, where the power trigger is located, the vacuums motor sits against your finger and quickly heats and burns the skin.

Purchased in August 2019 at Big W for $399.00.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum and Tiles

Tyler T.

Tyler T.Sydney, NSW

Good for general clean

I like this vacuum cleaner for an easy general clean. The battery lasts approx. 20 min running time which allows me ample time to vacuum my home. Sometimes it doesn't pick up EVERYTHING but running it back over, it seems to do the trick but I have found that issue with a lot of vacuums I have used in the past.

Purchased in September 2019 at Bunnings Warehouse.

Misa Azuma

Misa AzumaMetropolitan Adelaide, SA

This is amazing

I am very glad to bought it!! It’s so light and I can clean up everywhere!! I was struggling with a house dust allergies, but since I started using this, I fell much better now!

Purchased in January 2020 at JB Hi-Fi for $800.00.

Demi

DemiSouth West, WA

Worked good for about a month

Worked well for about a month, even after thoroughly cleaning the filters and vacuum it lost suction dramatically. Didn’t offer any suction over carpets, pushed around the animal fur and went straight over any small dirt. Would not recommend.

Purchased in January 2018 at JB Hi-Fi.

Floor Type Carpet and Linoleum
Dyson Team ..Dyson

Most awful, aggravating appliance I have ever dealt with

This vacuum is horrible. It pushes the dirt around the floor and is constantly stuck in the pulsating mode. If you view the video they keep posting, even tissue clogs this vacuum. Essentially you cannot vacuum a normal house with animals and kids without pulling everything off the floor out of the stupid thing, and emptying it by hand into the bin from its different parts. Literally cannot even pick up a feather half the time. I may as well sweep as that would be way more efficient - and that is hardwood floors! Don't get me started on carpet. Complete waste of time. Do yourself a favour and buy a kmart or target vacuum rather than this over hyped piece of junk. Cheaper and more effective.

Purchased in February 2018 for $499.00.

Product is used: Rarely
Floor Type Carpet and Wood
Dyson Team ..Dyson

Parts are so expensive when warranty is ended!!!!!

I have 2 X dyson Dc59 which both need heads replaced all the time. They don't last. Now my machines are out of warranty they cost $125 each to replace. I'm better off purchasing a brand new machine from a different machine. I'm sick of pulling them apart to clean them, so time consuming as well. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED today was told to troubleshoot to end up telling me what i knew the heads needed replacing, please cough up more money. Never will purchase dyson again, expensive for nothing.

Purchased in August 2014 for $579.00.

Floor Type Tiles

John

JohnSydney, NSW

Garbage

Bought this vacuum after our last unit (Dyson V6 Absolute) failed after 12 months. Thinking I would give Dyson products another chance, the vacuum performs just like the last one we purchased. Continually surging, not sucking debris but pushing it around. The surging thing really is annoying, you can clean it continually and it will block up and surge. A gimmick, so much for no loss of suction.

Purchased in September 2019 for $499.00.

Floor Type Wood

Angelito

AngelitoGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Light and compact

Awesome vacuum cleaner. Light and compact. You don’t need big machine to my house. Easy to used and so easy to clean it as well. Perfect machine for grand mother. Great invention.

Purchased in January 2019 at The Good Guys.

Floor Type Tiles

MichaelSydney, NSW

Terrible

Continually fails, motor surges and not very effective suction. Also battery never seems to charge properly on the wall mounting however even taking it off the wall doesn't charge properly

Purchased at Harvey Norman for $400.00.

Product is used: Rarely

Wouldn’t recommend

Bought this vacuum and it worked well at first. Has decent enough suction for our hard wood floors. But the motorhead end has died twice now, the first time we bought another head to replace the one that stopped working. This time I won’t bother. I shouldn’t have to fork out $150 on a new motorhead, on an already expensive vacuum, every 12-24 months.

Product is used: Weekly
Floor Type Wood
Bethanyalyce1986

Bethanyalyce1986Melbourne

Handy little vacuum

I love this stick vacuum. It's light and easy to grab at anytime to do a quick tidy. If you're like me and a bit of a clean freak, you'll find yourself using it several times a day. Great for tidying dog hair off your white tiles! If I was to fault it, I would say it's not so great at picking up larger bits of mess, eg. When your child drops rice cake crumbs all over the hard wood floors. I keep my larger Dyson vacuum around for deep cleans.

Floor Type Tiles and Wood
ngantica

nganticaGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Apparently only good on regular use

Mainly just use it when I wash the car, unfortunately the battery was giving up when I try to use it in the last few months it only give me 1-2 minutes run time. Contacted Dyson and they said if you don’t use it regularly like once a month the battery will start to give up. Purchased October 2017 so they said it’s out of the warranty period, and told me to buy a new battery. What’s the point?
If your not going to use it regularly like once a week, do not buy it. Get a cheaper brand.

Purchased in October 2017 at The Good Guys for $297.00.

Product is used: Monthly

Kirsty W.

Kirsty W.Murrumbidgee Region, NSW

Love it!

Perfect for my carpeted areas. Not as good on my tiles. So easy and suction is still amazing after 4 years use! Battery life is still perfect also. The only issue I have and it not really an issue is I have to clean the head out regularly due to the spinning brush getting long hair tangles as there is 3 girls in my house.

Purchased in October 2015 at Harvey Norman Appliances Physical Store for $499.00.

Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Dyson animal is plastic crap

The clip on the end of the stick fell off. The head pieces fell off. The motor cuts in and out. It is a cheap worthless piece of crap ( Animal v6 )
Don’t touch them with a 20 foot stick !

Tyrone Bandara

Tyrone BandaraSouth East Queensland, QLD

Great when new

By far the best vacuum cleaner I had ever used, when new, until it stopped working about a month later for no reason. It would just stop working while in use. The charger would still charge the battery. Like most warranties these days, the warranty was of course useless. Assuming I bought a lemon, I bought another one of the same model, to have it stop working again about 2 months later. So I then went to Kmart about bought a $40 vacuum cleaner and I've been using the same one for 2 years, even though it's suction isn't that great compared to the Dyson, it didn't cark it. After pulling both Dysons apart and meddling with the components and swapping them around, I managed to get one working, for another few weeks..

Purchased in November 2017.

Floor Type Carpet, Linoleum, Tiles and Wood

Robyn

RobynMelbourne

Frustrating

I used to love this but lately it just keeps pulsing and it is driving me crazy, I bought a new filter and that didn’t help at all and any time I use it I have to keep stopping and clearing out the bin and the head every 60 seconds to make it go another 60 seconds, it’s super annoying

Purchased at Harvey Norman.

Frequently Asked Questions about Dyson V6

What are the differences between each Dyson V6 model?

The primary difference are the included heads or attachments. While all Dyson V6 models contain the same power, charging time, and bin capacity, each model offers a different head to suit a particular household need. For example, the V6 Fluffy model caters for households that have hard floors by including a non-scratching soft roller head.

Why is my Dyson V6 pulsating when I try to use it?

The pulsing or stop-starting noise indicates there is a blockage somewhere in the vacuum. It may be in the head, wand, filter, or bin (including the flap connecting the wand to the bin). Clear these areas and check no moving parts have hair tangled in them.

What does the red flashing light mean on my Dyson V6?

If the red light flashes 12 or more times it indicates there is a problem with the battery, and it may require replacement. Fewer flashes may indicate a problem with the body of your machine. Contact Dyson on 1800 239 766 for more information.

Can I charge my Dyson V6 in a very cold or very hot environment?

Dyson recommends that your V6 unit is charged in an environment that is between 3°C (37°F) to 40°C (104°F). It is recommended that you unplug and wait to charge your vacuum if your room is hotter than colder than these temperatures.

Can I leave my Dyson V6 to continually charge in the charging station?

It is safe to leave the V6 to continually charge; either in the docking station, or just the charger plugged directly in, so the vacuum is always fully charged every time you use it. You cannot use the vacuum while plugged in.

Latest Consumer Questions

david w.asked

Is it normal for my Dyson v6 to have a blinking blue light while charging?

Hi David,

Thank you for your question.

While charging the light on the machine should be a solid blue, once fully charged the light should go completely off.

If you are experiencing issues with the machine we'd kindly ask you to reach out to our helpline on 1800 239 766 with your machine handy. Our helpline is open Mon-Fri 8am-8pm and on the weekends 8.30am-4pm.

Best wishes,

Sam
Dyson Customer Care

Floody2169

Floody2169asked

My Dyson works fine on normal mode but on Max it cuts out after about 10 seconds. I have cleaned out every filter and disconnected and reconnected the battery, however it still didn’t work properly on Max mode. I contacted Dyson and they believed that it was the recharger, even though it was just out of warranty they sent me a new one, and they were fantastic to deal with. I received the new charger but it didn’t fix the issue. Please help me as I Love my V6 animal but I really need to be able to use the Max mode.

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear the charger hasn't solved the difficulty and are happy to further assist.

So we can best assist, could you please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com? Our Dyson Experts will be in touch very shortly to assist.

Angie

Angieasked

My Dyson Animal keeps stopping on boost but is fine when boost switched off have cleaned all filters. Any help?

Dyson Team ..Dyson

We are sorry to hear your machine isn't working in Max mode

If your Dyson V6 is working well otherwise (i.e. picking up dust and debris) when not in Max mode, and the charger lights up when the machine is plugged in, it would indicate the battery on the machine would need to be replaced. You can purchase a replacement battery for the Dyson V6 here: https://shop.dyson.com.au/spare-parts/battery-967810-21

If this isn't the case, the machine is under two years old, or you have any further queries, our Dyson Experts are available via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be happy to help.

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Download manual