Great for the first 12 months

For the first 12 months I’d have to say it was excellent. Then we ran into a few problems with the motorised brush. We contacted Dyson and they were helpful, sending out new parts on a couple of occasions at no cost. The main issue is that this took quite a bit of time - not all their fault as sometimes I had to summon the energy to call them again. After quite a few new parts it is now working perfectly so fingers crossed. I notice the updated models have a much bigger motorised brush.

Purchased at Harvey Norman Physical Store.

Good
Good
Noise Level
Normal
Battery Life
Good
Product is used: Several times a week
Pet OwnerYes
Floor Type Carpet and Wood

Good when the battery works

Find it a good vacuum for light duties like hard floors but it struggles with carpet. Handy and easy to use. My big issue with it is the terrible batteries. We have had ours less than 2 years and have had 2 batteries fail now. i am going to try a generic battery from eBay now to see if they are a better battery. We probably only use it 2-3 times a week for 5-10 mins a time so we’re not over working it.

Date PurchasedNov 2016
Hi Chris, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson V6. I am sorry to hear you have had difficulty with two batteries, this is certainly not what we would expect. We would kindly ask you to email auaskdyson@dyson.com with your details as we would be greatful to look into this and further assist. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Incredibly convenient

A really convenient vacuum, easy to clean and easy to take out and use, so it encourages you to vacuum more often. No more worrying about wires. Lifetime warranty is also a plus.

Purchased .

I can’t live without it!

I had this cordless vaccum cleaner for almost 3 years. I believe it’s the best brand in the market . It’s a life saver especially for families with kids. Light weight , easy to operate . 10 minuts of constant working if you use MAX and 20 minuets if you dont use it.

Purchased at Big W Retail Stores for $300.00.

Noise Level
Normal
Battery Life
Good
Product is used: Daily
Pet OwnerNo
Floor Type Carpet and Tiles

Absolute back saver

Great vacuum. Great light, versatile design easy to use. Collection bin needs to be emptied quite often because of relative small size and how much gunk it's able to suck up! Quick to replace optional heads, too. Recharges fast, too. JB HiFi = $299 - V10 around $900 - I couldn't be happier with my 1/4 of the cost purchase.

Awesome vac

This vac just eats up pet hair.
Easy to use and works well on both hard flooring and carpet.
We lost ours in our house fire last May but intend to purchase another for sure. Light and easy to empty with no messy bags.
Worth buying.

Floor Type Carpet, Tiles and Wood

Cant live without it!

Possibly the best appliance purchase made. it cleans my hardwood floors perfectly. and can then transfer to tiles, carpet and rugs its quick and easy to use. simple to clean as well. This product is game changer when you have small children who are forever making crumbs and walking in grass! thank you Dyson!

Date PurchasedMay 2016

Great vacuum

Had the product for about 3 years now and it's been great. Does the whole house and is very quick and easy to use. It does take a bit of cleaning the head every couple of weeks but if you keep on it things are always trouble free. It's been a ripper!

Date PurchasedJan 2016

Disappointing

I have used a Dyson DC25 upright cleaner since 2010 (I've reviewed it on this site) and have been very satisfied with it.
I purchased the cordless V6 in August 2017 and - to begin with - was very happy with it; It cleaned well, especially using the power boost button. I had high hopes of it replacing my corded machine. The battery life is short, but i could live with that.
Unfortunately the boost button gave up the ghost after a very short time. When switched on it works as a pulse, so must be switched off.
Also, because the on button must be held down, my hand gets quite sore.
I use it, but am conscious of the fact that it is not cleaning as efficiently as it should.
Edit: Dyson's comment, following the publication of this review, sorted out the boost button problem - the filter needed cleaning! I feel rather foolish, but the filter is tiny, and I overlooked it.
I've up-graded my review to 4 stars.
Pros: Excellent cleaning with the boost button on - and needs it, with this model
Easy to empty and clean
Cons: Poor battery life, if used with boost button
Having to hold the power leaver, hard on the hand and index finger
With these improvements, I would definitely consider purchasing a more powerful model

Purchased .

Edit - I omitted to mentionI do find it is excellent for vacuuming furniture and the car interior.Hi there, Thank you for your review. Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your machine on MAX mode, we are happy to help. A surging or pulsing noise indicates a blockage or restriction of airflow through the machine, or it may be time to wash the filter. We would recommend to run through the checks outlined on https://youtu.be/ubbGu1Man8k & https://youtu.be/jIBuj-sAd4c. Should you find the issue persists please forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be more than happy to help. Best wishes, Shan

I love this vacuum so much

It's so convenient to just buzz around a room at a time I barely even use my big vacuum anymore. The suction power is amazing and is great on all floors. This one is not so good picking up big items but it's not so bad as you just bend down and pick bigger items up or sweep first.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Can't power on after less than 2 months. Bad and unresponsive customer service

Worst product ever didn't expect this from Dyson. We hardly used for a month and it stopped working and all it does is power on and off after every 2 seconds. It's been more than 3 weeks we gave for repair and it's still we don't hear anything from customer service. Terrible product and even terrible service.

Date PurchasedOct 2018
Hi Pavan, Thank you for reviewing your machine. I am sorry to hear about this, this is certainly not what we expect. We would kindly ask you to forward your details to auaskdyson@dyson.com as we would value the opportunity to look into this for you. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Fantastic

I use this on Mats tiles and floor boards is so good get out so much dust and dirt and fluff it's easy to use and empty and it's so good it's fun to use I used to hate vacuming with my old barrel one Its easy to charge and mount on the wall or cuboard

January 31st 2019 Update: Soooooo good

Works on any surface socks out deep dust
It's easy to use and easy to hang
Gets all dog hair
Good value for money
It's easy to change into a hand vacume
Even my husband likes to use it
Great for cleaning the car too
Recommended for any one to use

Date PurchasedNov 2018

Rubbish

Works well for first 2 months . Short term product, as the spinning pick up just stops working, the battery turns to shit and lasts a maximum of 4 minutes , and the low power mode is useless and sucks nothing up . After complaining, got shipped the wrong part twice. Completely overpriced product with no attempt at making something that lasts more than a couple of months

Date PurchasedDec 2017
Hi Cal, Thank you for taking the time to review your machine. I am sorry to hear of your experience. This is certainly not what we would expect and would value the opportunity to look into this and assist. Please email us via auaskdyson@dyson.com and we will be in touch and happy to help. We look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Shan

Reviews...Returning product Defective

Using V6 on Wood flooring, area rug runner. Buyer beware. You can only vacuum 15 mins every 4 hrs.. V6 has strong suction, light weight... Unfortunately it will take 2 days to vacuum your home. You spend. Four hours to charge & receive 15 mins of vacuuming. Then you have to charge it again.

Date PurchasedJan 2019
Hi Julie, Thank you for your review. While I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with your machine, it sounds as it is working as it should do. Your V6 should achieve a run time of 6 minutes on max, or on normal mode, a run time of 16-17 minutes with a motorised floor tool attached, or 20 minutes without. It then recharges in just 3.5 hours instead of overnight like some others. If you need a machine with a longer run time, we would encourage considering either our V8 or V10 range of cord-free machines, the V8 can provide a run time of up to 40 minutes and the V10 up to 60. If you would like to discuss further, please email questions@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be happy to assist. Best wishes, Shan

Time consuming not time saving

My stick vacuum has the red handle. Not sure what model to call it. This vacuum can’t even suck up a fine cotton thread on carpet. It is the worst vacuum I have ever owned. It needs to be constantly cleaned and it takes up so much of my time rather than saving me time. If you have problems you can’t go to a local outlet to get it fixed. You have to send it back to Dyson. So therefore I’ve put up with its problems because solving it’s problems is too problematic. First Dyson and last Dyson I will buy

Date PurchasedJan 2018
Hi there, Thank you for reviewing your Dyson V6 Absolute. I am sorry to hear about this, this is certainly not the experience we would you to have with one of our cord-free machines. We would value the opportunity to assist. Please email your details and review to auaskdyson@dyson.com and our Dyson Experts will be in touch shortly. We look forward to hearing from you and assisting. Best wishes, Shan

Only if the design can change

The dyson vacuum cleaners are definitely a game changer product. The motor looks good, no more hassle of cords and easy to store. The only real issue i have with it is the weight proportion. Since the motor is close to the handle, my hands keep hurting after using it for 10 minutes. I wish the motor was towards the lower part of the handle or near the suction tubes like the other cordless product. Also the price is a little steep.

Date PurchasedAug 2017

I would give it 5 stars if...

I use this vaccum on carpet and timber flooring and it the fasted way to get my vacuuming done as I don’t have to pull around a heavy machine attached to a chord. Love that about this vaccum.
2 reasons why I haven’t scored it a 5 star...its suction isn’t the best, it struggles to pick up slightly bigger particles. Plus, when emptying out the dust it doesn’t empty properly so you have to stick your fingers in to get the rest out..if your fingers can fit in the tight gap. Mine can’t so I have to use a stick or paper to get the rest of the dirt out which is very annoying and messy

Date PurchasedJan 2018

No more power cords & dragging around heavy vacs.

Bought this mainly for cat hair on couch & cushions but soon discovered it was fine to use as our main vacuum cleaner. It does a great job on everything, and very good with pet hair. The proof is in the dust chamber. The mini rotating brush head makes it easy (it comes with a standard sized brush attachment). I have no problem with battery life, I don't use the max function because it sucks just fine, and I've used it easily for at least ten minutes without it going flat. I can do the whole house no problem. I screwed in the recharge station onto the wall so it is handy just to lift off and start using. Being a taller person it would be nice if the pipe was a little longer, and getting the course filter out of the dust chamber is fiddly. Apart from those last two minor annoyances, it is a fantastic, well built vac.

Date PurchasedDec 2018

Perfect for my apartment

Got this when my partner and I moved into and apartment. It is so easy to use and sucks really well. I am also able to use it in my car with the attachments that come with it.

Only cons are its not good to use on high speed because it runs out of battery too quickly, and can clog easily. However these can both be avoided if you’re mindful.

Date PurchasedSep 2017

Best cordless Vac ever!

Dyson have a made a solid Vac that sucks up better than my Vax bagless cyclonic corded Vac. It is easy to clean out and is able to take a fair bit of abuse. Ideal for cars furniture and even cobwebs. The V6 has now been replaced by the V7,V8 and now V10.

Date PurchasedFeb 2016

Frequently Asked Questions about Dyson V6

What are the differences between each Dyson V6 model?

The primary difference are the included heads or attachments. While all Dyson V6 models contain the same power, charging time, and bin capacity, each model offers a different head to suit a particular household need. For example, the V6 Fluffy model caters for households that have hard floors by including a non-scratching soft roller head.

Why is my Dyson V6 pulsating when I try to use it?

The pulsing or stop-starting noise indicates there is a blockage somewhere in the vacuum. It may be in the head, wand, filter, or bin (including the flap connecting the wand to the bin). Clear these areas and check no moving parts have hair tangled in them.

What does the red flashing light mean on my Dyson V6?

If the red light flashes 12 or more times it indicates there is a problem with the battery, and it may require replacement. Fewer flashes may indicate a problem with the body of your machine. Contact Dyson on 1800 239 766 for more information.

Can I charge my Dyson V6 in a very cold or very hot environment?

Dyson recommends that your V6 unit is charged in an environment that is between 3°C (37°F) to 40°C (104°F). It is recommended that you unplug and wait to charge your vacuum if your room is hotter than colder than these temperatures.

Can I leave my Dyson V6 to continually charge in the charging station?

It is safe to leave the V6 to continually charge; either in the docking station, or just the charger plugged directly in, so the vacuum is always fully charged every time you use it. You cannot use the vacuum while plugged in.

Latest Consumer Questions

Dyson will not work. Pull off charging point pull trigger flashing red lights. Have pulled the battery out and checked has 8.9v. What may be the problem.

Keeps pulsing. Intrrrupted vaccuuming

my dyson v6 charge only lasts for 1 or 2 min or 5 at most . Its not even 3 years old . What can be the problem

V6 Animal ExtraV6 SlimV6 Cord-freeV6 TriggerV6 Car+Boat ExtraV6 AbsoluteV6 FluffyV6 AnimalV6 OriginalV6 Animal OriginV6 MotorheadV6 Slim Origin
Power100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW100AW
Price (RRP)$549$399$449$249$449$599$649$549$599$529$799$399
Cleaner HeadDirect drive cleaner head and Soft roller cleaner headNarrow Motorised cleaner headMotorised cleaner headNarrow Motorised cleaner headNone (tool attachments only)Direct drive cleaner head and Soft roller cleaner headSoft roller cleaner headMotorised cleaner headMotorised cleaner headDirect drive cleaner head and Soft roller cleaner headDirect-drive cleaner headNarrow Motorised cleaner head
Charging Time3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours3.5hours
Running Time20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes20minutes
Bin Capacity0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L0.4L
HEPA Filter YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes
Weight2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg2.04kg
Release dateApr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015

Download manual