Dyson V6

Buying the best vacuum cleaner

Read now
Buying Guide Banner
Dyson V6 In-Depth Review

ProductReview.com.au's selected consumer review.

• Product is used
  • Pet OwnerYes (211) · No (165)
  • Battery Life

JoH
JoHGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Battery no longer works

Loved it to start with - although just shy of 3 years in and the battery doesn’t recharge - only goes for 1 minute max no matter how long it has charged for? Not sure if anyone else has experienced this? Other than the battery issue it’s been good. Hoping someone can help with this as we still have this issue, thank you!

Purchased at The Good Guys for $799.00.

Ashleigh
AshleighGreater Melbourne (Metropolitan), VIC

Shocking battery life, motor died just past the 2 year mark

I purchased a Dyson V6 slim vacuum cleaner just over two years ago. I had to replace the battery a year after purchase and now the motor has died. Conveniently for Dyson it died just after the 2 year warranty ran out so it's now void. I invested in a Dyson thinking the brand was a leader in technology, reliable and trust worthy- I was sadly disappointed. Spending hundreds of dollars on buying a new replacement machine every 2 years is a scam.

Lee
LeeGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Dyson V6 Life Span

The battery goes flat quick, just out of warranty I needed a new battery and a new motor part which was not covered.I was told not to use the turbo function why have that option if you cannot use it.

TayhitiGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

Buy a new battery every 2 years!!!

Purchased in April 2018 at Harvey Norman for $575.00.

DysonDyson

V6 slim turbo head dead already.

Only had for 2 years. Only use it occasionally as I have a bigger vacuum & the turbo head has gone on it already. I feel cheated. Definitely will be buying something else in the future.
I have tile, hard wood & carpet. It worked well when it was working but it's no good now.

Purchased in March 2019.

DysonDyson

The best kitchen appliances in 2020!

Nathan S.1 Nov 2019
the-best-kitchen-appliances-in-2020

Best Fridges and Dishwashers in 2020!

Wendy Z.12 Nov 2019
best-fridges-and-dishwashers-in-2020

Great suction. Requires regular cleaning.

Purchased in September 2017 at The Good Guys.

linda
lindaSouth East Queensland, QLD

Not happy with this product

When I got my Dyson I was so happy, but that didn't last long, the suction on this vacuum is terrible, it flicks the debris into the suction hose more than it actually sucks.
The problem with it pulsating on and off is a nightmare, I seem to have to stop vacuuming everytime I use it to clean it out to stop this, and to find its hardly anything stopping it from working properly. Very unhappy with my purchase. I owned a barrel Dyson for almost 10 years and it was great.

Purchased in May 2019 for $599.00.

Had high hopes.....

Had high hopes for this machine that have been well and truly dashed! I spend more time clearing stuff out of where the tube meets the barrel than the actual vacuuming. Am lucky if I can have 5 mins of uninterrupted vacuuming time before the machine starts that on/off noise and I have to stop and clear it out using a knife or a bit of wire.
A real pity as I will only buy a wand style and I wanted this one to work well. Shame really.

Purchased in June 2017 for $476.00.

Merran
Merran
Sheree_Ewin
Sheree_EwinGreater Melbourne (Inner), VIC

So temperamental & more trouble than its worth!

Purchased in January 2016 at TVSN for $799.00.

Bec C
Bec CSouth East Queensland, QLD

Never again!

I spent $850 only from divorce settlement as I thought I would buy one that would last a long time for me and my children. 2 years later and the battery is flat a the clip that closes the housing has broken. Not only that but the compartments don't suck up anything that is close to a wall or a straight - they all have holes in the sides and it doesn't work/suck up. I will never buy another Dyson - they are over rated from their advertising. Bring back old school vacuums that work and last!

Purchased in May 2017 at Harvey Norman for $929.00.

Rob
Rob

Does not live up to the hype, and now it has died on me after minimal usage

Not good enough for even 1 star

The worst vacuum cleaner ever. Impossible to empty it without the use of a pencil to scrape the contents out. Collection base constantly comes open whilst hoovering and contents fall on the floor. Filter needs constant washing otherwise vacuum starts and stops. Simply awful.

Purchased in June 2016.

Ems89
Ems89

I spend more type fixing the vacuum than cleaning

Dust goes everywhere whenever you empty the barrel, which is twice per use as it's very small. Dust gets caught in places it shouldn't, so you have to completely pull apart the vacuum (with screwdriver) every second use to dig out dust from various cavities where it's got stuck. because of this the error light goes off at least every 2-3 uses. The battery died after six months. Replaced. After 12 months the battery is so useless I can't vacuum my small 1bd apartment without recharging.

Purchased in August 2018 at Kogan.com for $300.00.

DysonDyson

Worst cleaner I have ever owned

If there was an award for the worst vacuum cleaner this would win by a mile.
Purchased new, should have returned when I discovered what an underperforming product this was. Very poor suction, very limited battery life (about 7 mins run time on full power), and now the suction hose inside the motorhead is broken ($125 replacement cost). All this in a machine that is less than 3 years old.

Piers n Mel D.
Piers n Mel D.

Works well battery life could be better

Works well on tiles and carpet. Rubbish is hard to empty and battery is poor on max power. Portability is great and works well on stairs and hard to reach spaces. Versatile product- I understand newer models address the emptying issue and better battery power.

Purchased in June 2015 at The Good Guys for $310.00.

Frequently Asked Questions about Dyson V6

What are the differences between each Dyson V6 model?

The primary difference are the included heads or attachments. While all Dyson V6 models contain the same power, charging time, and bin capacity, each model offers a different head to suit a particular household need. For example, the V6 Fluffy model caters for households that have hard floors by including a non-scratching soft roller head.

Why is my Dyson V6 pulsating when I try to use it?

The pulsing or stop-starting noise indicates there is a blockage somewhere in the vacuum. It may be in the head, wand, filter, or bin (including the flap connecting the wand to the bin). Clear these areas and check no moving parts have hair tangled in them.

What does the red flashing light mean on my Dyson V6?

If the red light flashes 12 or more times it indicates there is a problem with the battery, and it may require replacement. Fewer flashes may indicate a problem with the body of your machine. Contact Dyson on 1800 239 766 for more information.

Can I charge my Dyson V6 in a very cold or very hot environment?

Dyson recommends that your V6 unit is charged in an environment that is between 3°C (37°F) to 40°C (104°F). It is recommended that you unplug and wait to charge your vacuum if your room is hotter than colder than these temperatures.

Can I leave my Dyson V6 to continually charge in the charging station?

It is safe to leave the V6 to continually charge; either in the docking station, or just the charger plugged directly in, so the vacuum is always fully charged every time you use it. You cannot use the vacuum while plugged in.

Latest Consumer Questions

Nicole P.asked
V6 Animal

The dyson won't work and the red light is flashing (about 30x) when I press the trigger down. Is there a fix for this?

DysonDyson

If your machine shows a red flashing light which is flashing 12 or more times, this indicates the battery of your machine has reached the end of its useful life and would need to be replaced. You can purchase a replacement battery for your machine here: https://www.dyson.com.au/dyson-v6-replacement-battery-967810-21 and fitting instructions can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH_CoicD94k

If we can be of assistance, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our Dyson Experts. You can find our contact details here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Nicole P.

Thank you. I contacted Dyson and they are sending me a replacement battery. Although this is the second one in 2.5 years indicating a poor battery lifespan the customer service has been excellent both times.

Colin M.
Colin M.asked
V6

Hi have a dyson v6 got new battery fully charged it now only work a few seconds and yellow light flashes what could the problem be thanks

DysonDyson

An amber light indicates the machine is either too warm or too cool to work. Normally leaving the machine at room temperature for an our or so until the battery reaches room temperature should get this sorted.

If this continues, please get in touch with our Dyson Experts and we will be happy to help. You can find our contact details and ways to get in touch here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

JoH
JoHasked
V6

Hi there - our dyson only ever works for about 2 or 3 mins - is there anything we can do about this?

Tayhiti

Mine only works for about 30s. I called Dyson and the only solutions they gave me was to pay to upgrade to another Dyson vacuum or buy a new battery. To be honest if the batteries only last 2 years it’s not very cost effective.

DysonDyson

Based on the information provided it sounds like the battery of your Dyson V6 is coming towards the end of its useful life and may need to be replaced. This is characterised by the machine working as normal in terms of performance, but not running for as long.

You can purchase a genuine Dyson replacement battery via this link: https://www.dyson.com.au/dyson-v6-replacement-battery-967810-21

Should our Dyson Experts be able to assist, you can find ways to get in touch with us here: https://www.dyson.com.au/support/contact-us

Get an answer from our members and Dyson representatives

Dyson V6

Dyson V6 Slim

4.2
Dyson V6 Cord-free

Dyson V6 Cord-free

CategoryStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum CleanersStick & Cordless Vacuum Cleaners
Price (RRP) $599.00$399.00$399.00$449.00
Bin Capacity0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L0.4 L
HEPA FilterYesYesYesYes
Weight2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg2.04 kg
TypeCordlessCordlessCordlessCordless
Charging Time3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours3.5 hours
Running Time 20 min20 min20 min20 min
Suction (Air Watts)100 AW100 AW100 AW100 AW
Manufacturer Warranty2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)2 year(s)
Release dateApr 2015Apr 2015Apr 2015